Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2002, 07:10 PM   #101
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

You know, just the discussion of Dumbledore's potential death makes me think of the line in Chamber of Secrets where he says that he will only truly leave the school when the students no longer have faith in him...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:29 PM   #102
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Things like that and the way he arms Harry Potter to fight Voldemort and the Basilisk in Chamber of Secrets show his enmity to Riddle. Also that he distrusted Riddle when everyone else thought he was great is another evidence, and demonstrates partially how little Voldemort's power and subtlety effects him, even though it effects everyone else.

I think that there is strong evidence that he and Voldemort are against each other. The only other possible argument that you can make is that Dumbledor is another power hungry wizard, like Voldemort but apart from him, who is trying to use the crisis to take control.

And I personally doubt that that is the case.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 07:48 PM   #103
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Things like that and the way he arms Harry Potter to fight Voldemort and the Basilisk in Chamber of Secrets show his enmity to Riddle. Also that he distrusted Riddle when everyone else thought he was great is another evidence, and demonstrates partially how little Voldemort's power and subtlety effects him, even though it effects everyone else.

I think that there is strong evidence that he and Voldemort are against each other. The only other possible argument that you can make is that Dumbledor is another power hungry wizard, like Voldemort but apart from him, who is trying to use the crisis to take control.

And I personally doubt that that is the case.
i think this whole debate is a bit unfounded you can go either way very easily. Dumbledor is indeed powerfull and surely that reason enough for voldermort to fear him but there is a lot of myserty surounding dumblebor quite which im sure will not be explained till the very end.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:52 AM   #104
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I've heard rumours that she might be writing a couple more books. I'm with you on this XK, it would probably be a case of overkill.
YAY!!! Someone actually agrees with me on this! Thank you BoP, no one else seems to understand my reasoning, and seem to think i'm just evil and want Harry to die. But it would be too much and would take away from the greatness of the books we have!

Quote:
i think this whole debate is a bit unfounded you can go either way very easily. Dumbledor is indeed powerfull and surely that reason enough for voldermort to fear him but there is a lot of myserty surounding dumblebor quite which im sure will not be explained till the very end.
I think Dumbledore is a very tough character to try to get to understand, he does things that don't seem to make sense, and i really don't like all the hints that he knows more than he's saying, because why would you want to do that. In book one i absolutely love the mirror of Erised, it's my fave. bit i think, but it seems Dumbledore wanted Harry to see it, and if so, why? So he would understand how to use it? Well if that's the case then he must have known something would happen. And if he did then why did he let Harry deal with it? He just seems to...i don't know. I think if he was a person i knew i would not be able to trust him. He strikes me as unnecessarily mysterious, and never tells you anything outright.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:37 AM   #105
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK

I think Dumbledore is a very tough character to try to get to understand, he does things that don't seem to make sense, and i really don't like all the hints that he knows more than he's saying, because why would you want to do that. In book one i absolutely love the mirror of Erised, it's my fave. bit i think, but it seems Dumbledore wanted Harry to see it, and if so, why? So he would understand how to use it? Well if that's the case then he must have known something would happen. And if he did then why did he let Harry deal with it? He just seems to...i don't know. I think if he was a person i knew i would not be able to trust him. He strikes me as unnecessarily mysterious, and never tells you anything outright.
he is indeed deeply mysterious but i do think to a certain extent he is training harry. In the first three books he seems to know whats going on but in the 4th he doesnt seem so clued up.

You one of these people that you would trust 90% but there is definate doubt about him.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:54 AM   #106
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
If there anyone else who is getting absolutely disgusted with the magical people who apparently have no problem with slavery or with looking down on "muggles," which is a bit like snubbing someone for being blind? I like the Harry Potter books, but I hope the snoodies (magicals) get taught a lesson somewhere along the way!
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 05:03 PM   #107
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Oh, I'm sure they will be taught a lesson. Unfortunately, so will a lot of nonsnooties .

It's like an Adolf Hitler type of regime based upon fear, pride and lust for power. They also utterly look down upon and despise the Muggles, and I fear their'll be a lot more tormenting of Muggles as Voldemort continues to gain power. And perhaps some for those who aren't "pureblood," but are wizards as well.

These coming dark times in the books are just maddening. Even if they will help keep things interesting.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:02 PM   #108
Silverstripe

Stupid Snoodies! If they would just let Muggles know about them, at least the non-magical crowd could fight back a little. Or hide. Yes, I would lead an army of non-magicals in waging war if I could. Anyone have any ideas on how Muggles can defeat Snoodies?

Muggles v. Snoodies...

That has an interesting sound to it, doesn't it?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:13 PM   #109
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverstripe
Stupid Snoodies! If they would just let Muggles know about them, at least the non-magical crowd could fight back a little. Or hide. Yes, I would lead an army of non-magicals in waging war if I could. Anyone have any ideas on how Muggles can defeat Snoodies?

Muggles v. Snoodies...

That has an interesting sound to it, doesn't it?
i think the muggles would win i mean they are obvosly far more creative than the wizards.

i mean what chance would voldermort stand against a harrier jump jet?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:34 PM   #110
Silverstripe

And if machines are suppose to malfunction around Hogwarts -- "too much magic in the air" -- could the muggles, after imprisoning wizards in an isolated area, create some type of machine that would be DEADLY if it didn't work, so that they couldn't work magic?

Yes. I do spend my time thinking up ways in which a non-magical uprising could be successful, and yes, I am aware that that's very weird.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:56 AM   #111
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
no SilverStripe that sounds really cool. I definetely think Muggles should be able to get there own back
Oh thats just given me an idea. There used to be an british TV show called "Get your own back"
It was basically where adults got gunged for doing mean stuff to kids. So im thinking we should gunge all snoodies

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??

Last edited by Hanza : 11-23-2002 at 09:58 AM.
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 10:12 AM   #112
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanza
no SilverStripe that sounds really cool. I definetely think Muggles should be able to get there own back
Oh thats just given me an idea. There used to be an british TV show called "Get your own back"
It was basically where adults got gunged for doing mean stuff to kids. So im thinking we should gunge all snoodies
hmmmmmmmmm maybe not. It would make for an intresting plot point if the wizard world was to be revealed to the muggles. But that would kinda lose the mystery of you know could be real (yes i know it isnt but we can dream carnt we)

The muggle killing perplexs me a bit because its obvious that they are gonna get going with a bit of this and how she will handle will be intresting.

the structure of the next 3 books will be intresting. i think she is perfectally set up to write a lord of the rings type plot with lots of info and progression. things are gonna get a lot worse before they get better.

why aint this book out yet?????????
Old 11-23-2002, 01:10 PM   #113
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Apparently she has finished writing book 5 and is now just doing the finishing touches to make it perfect. Hope it comes soon.

Old 11-23-2002, 01:31 PM   #114
Silverstripe

Me, too. Anyway, if she doesn't get the book out soon, she's going to have even more angry people on her hands than she already does (the IHHCs and WHAMmers, explanation of names in PM if anyone actually wants to know).

Hanza, should we form an Anti-Snoodie group? But we couldn't be anti all Snoodies, then we'd be doing the same thing they were, so what would we call it?

*pictures aircraft flying in and smooshing Voldie*

Old 11-23-2002, 02:46 PM   #115
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverstripe
Hanza, should we form an Anti-Snoodie group? But we couldn't be anti all Snoodies, then we'd be doing the same thing they were, so what would we call it?
*pictures aircraft flying in and smooshing Voldie*
sounds like a good idea Silverstripe. We could call it the anti-mean-snoodie group???

Old 11-23-2002, 04:03 PM   #116
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanza
sounds like a good idea Silverstripe. We could call it the anti-mean-snoodie group???
Good idea! When shall we start our meetings?

Last edited by Silverstripe : 11-23-2002 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:11 PM   #117
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I have a few ideas of how they could defeat wizards. But you'd have to go to very advanced technology, as well as primitive technology. The primitive weapons that would work are things that are nonmechanical enough not to go heywire. Cannonballs for example, and maybe shells would work (But I don't know much about shells). I don't know how many of you have heard about this, but the U.S. has developed a laser that is capable of taking out shells moving at incredible speeds while in flight. This laser sounds like it could be useful. Compared to these weapons, wizard methods actually seem primitive. Meanwhile, you could also arm your ground troops with bows and arrows, slings, short swords . Some archers in the medieval ages were able to spit out arrows in incredible numbers, and it seems as though wizards might have a little trouble blocking a hail of separate arrows.

Methods like that however demand that you have the advantage of numbers (Which I assume the Muggles do). The laser and the artillery pieces sound possible to use effectively.

But you know, these difficulties with technical equipment going heywire are dependent upon the wizards going around and enchanting the battlefield beforehand. That's something I don't think they'd always have the ability to do.

This post belongs in the Anti-Snoodie Thread .
Old 11-24-2002, 02:30 AM   #118
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

So mayby I've got Harry Potter on the brain, but while I was looking up names at babynamenetwork.com. I came across the Sanskrit name, "Hari", and it means 'he who removes evil'.

What do you think? could harry be a twist on hari?

Maybe I'm just going insane b/c I haven't seen CoS yet, and won't be able to for a while.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 06:43 AM   #119
sun-star
Lady of Letters

If anyone's interested in the potential meanings of names in Harry Potter, this is an interesting site:

Harry Potter names
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 03:33 PM   #120
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
This post belongs in the Anti-Snoodie Thread .
Is there one? If there isn't perhaps, there should be!