Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2004, 02:02 PM   #101
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I just don't see why you get so worked up about these things, JD. People are allowed to have opinions, and yes, there are a LOT of stupid/ignorant people in the US as well as other places. Just because BoP has a different opinion than you doesn't mean she's ignorant (I'd say she's far from it, and we differ in opinion on most things).

And Maine isn't our northernmost "continental" state...Minnesota is, so I don't think that there are many parts of Canada that are lower than Minnesota. But, i could be way off.

I really like my sig because it's always changing.

Actually, I kind of miss Hector's old sig, even though it was long.
waaaaaaaa!
well, here's one thing, Hector Berlioz was french, and he wasnt a moron. not all french people are morons.
saying that a certain nation is made up of abunch of morons is simply stereptyping, it doesnt prove anything. so there

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 02:10 PM   #102
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I didn't get that...
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:09 PM   #103
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Oh, and thank you starr. The feeling is entirely mutual.

Is your sig self-penned? I've been meaning to ask for ages.

No, sadly. It's from a song by Dashboard Confessional (back when it was just Chris Carraba)...basically an emo singer whose lyrics reach out the extreme emotions of teenagers, particularly those who have just been broken up with. It's from his song "This Brilliant Dance".

Last edited by Starr Polish : 03-23-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:20 PM   #104
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

*approaches cautiously* Well, I think BoP's sig is funny. No, I don't think most Americans are idiots; in fact most Americans I know are very smart and I respect them a great deal. Every country has to put up with stereotypes. A lot of people think we're like Crocodile Dundee and that kangaroos bounce around the streets. I just laugh at that kind of thing.

P.S. My sig is the best.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:32 PM   #105
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
*approaches cautiously* Well, I think BoP's sig is funny.
Since everyone just thinks that BoPs sig is funny - and not a negative comment DIRECTED at Americans (which is the definition of a flame) - I guess I can use this if I choose - "Sheep: New Zealands form of birth control"

Is that okay with everyone if we all start putting negative comments about other countries in our sigs?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:33 PM   #106
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I just changed my sig, and these quotes really show who I am

I also think BoP's sig is hilarious. But that doesn't mean I hate americans: I really don't. Actually, I think I'm gonna go write in Love America-thread

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:48 PM   #107
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Since everyone just thinks that BoPs sig is funny - and not a negative comment DIRECTED at Americans (which is the definition of a flame) - I guess I can use this if I choose - "Sheep: New Zealands form of birth control"

Is that okay with everyone if we all start putting negative comments about other countries in our sigs?
That New Zealand quote's funny, too. Do you have any about Australia?

Seriously, a line has to be drawn somewhere. I don't think BoP crossed that line. Obviously you think she has. If so, perhaps you should ask her to take it down, if it offends you. It's a delicate balance. Some people will find it funny (maybe even Americans) and some won't. If anybody said anything like that about Australia, I'd laugh and move on. I wouldn't let it worry me, because I know the truth.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:54 PM   #108
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
This has blown WAY out of proportion. And I dread going to threads I see JD posting in anymore, because all he seems to want to do is begin a debate. That's what the debate threads are for. This is NOT "who's sig is the most offensive/irritating/against my beliefs"...it's "who's sig is the coolest." ARGGG!

Currently, Insiduous Rex gets my vote.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #109
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Oh come on, BoP's sig doesn't say it's the "only" way to teach "all" Americans anything. However she interpereted it, I don't care, because I consider her enough my friend to allow some ribbing about the obviously media-fed image of America as a whole with Bush as a fat, lazy, and stupid warmongrel.

And JD, our own shows display the same type of idiocy, like on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno when he goes 'JayWalking' and that new bit with 'Kip and Kim.' Not everyone is trying to say that we're all terrible people.

I apologise for getting so off topic, but just had to point those out and hope to get back talking about the coolest sig again.

So to be slightly more on topic, I like BoP's sig anyway, and I admit that the statement does apply to me; I'd never have been able to identify Iraq on a map if I hadn't seen it in the papers with labels of battles and captures.
To answer your question (whether you were, serious, sarcastic, or whatever) I laughed at your New Zealand comment just as hard. I find both acceptable, but I'm not an administrator.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:18 PM   #110
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
This has blown WAY out of proportion. And I dread going to threads I see JD posting in anymore, because all he seems to want to do is begin a debate. That's what the debate threads are for. This is NOT "who's sig is the most offensive/irritating/against my beliefs"...it's "who's sig is the coolest." ARGGG!
Then don't go into those threads then. It's not like I care anymore. I was responding to the comment regarding BoP's sig - so it's on topic.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-23-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:25 PM   #111
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
I'd never have been able to identify Iraq on a map if I hadn't seen it in the papers with labels of battles and captures.
Maybe you should get an atlas then or hang maps in your room.
Quote:

To answer your question (whether you were, serious, sarcastic, or whatever) I laughed at your New Zealand comment just as hard. I find both acceptable, but I'm not an administrator.
I just want to know if it would be acceptable to pur racist and negative comments about other countries in their sigs.

I just find it funny that the only country that constantly gets constantly bashed on this board is America.

It's one thing as a joke - it's another when the person is actually serious. Isn't there enough American bashing already. Enough "Americans are ignorant morons, warmongering people"?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-23-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:37 PM   #112
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I just want to know if it would be acceptable to pur racist and negative comments about other countries in their sigs.
Hep! "If people would stop trying to find offence in everything - they may find that most people are NOT offensive nor racist. If a person searches for it around every corner - they are bound to perceive it where none actually exists." <-- I still find this true.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:00 AM   #113
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
Hep! "If people would stop trying to find offence in everything - they may find that most people are NOT offensive nor racist. If a person searches for it around every corner - they are bound to perceive it where none actually exists." <-- I still find this true.
yeah - if it wasn't for the rest of the threads, maybe I wouldn't be so "grouchy" about the sig.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-24-2004, 12:03 AM   #114
BeardofPants
the Shrike

JD, I don't find sheep jokes very offensive, so feel free. I've made 'em myself if you can be bothered searching my 7000+ posts. ( )

It seems you are the only one who finds offense to this sig, and I can assure you that none is meant by it. It was emulated for the Geography Association by Americans, so that should put it in perspective as just the tongue in cheek comment it is. ::shrug::

Cass, I know what you get up to with those kangaroos!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:12 AM   #115
jerseydevil

Quote:
JD, I don't find sheep jokes very offensive, so feel free. I've made 'em myself if you can be bothered searching my 7000+ posts. ( )

It seems you are the only one who finds offense to this sig, and I can assure you that none is meant by it. It was emulated for the Geography Association by Americans, so that should put it in perspective as just the tongue in cheek comment it is. ::shrug::
Normally I would just take it as a joke - like if Gimli said it. Maybe I'm just grouchy about the repeated American bashing going on the other threads. Maybe I just need a damn vacation.

BTW - I know perfectly well you have made those jokes.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-24-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:15 AM   #116
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

i laughed when i saw BoP's sig, but it probably would aply to anyone, not just americans, unless your a geography geek. actually, i still have trouble finding Iraq

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:19 AM   #117
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
i laughed when i saw BoP's sig, but it probably would aply to anyone, not just americans, unless your a geography geek. actually, i still have trouble finding Iraq
I'll let you in on a little secret.... I suck at geography as well. Yes, yes, I AM doing a Masters Geography major....
Old 03-24-2004, 12:23 AM   #118
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I'll let you in on a little secret.... I suck at geography as well. Yes, yes, I AM doing a Masters Geography major....
*shakes head* tisk tisk... that is just sad... sad, sad, sad.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:24 AM   #119
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
yes well, can you say F-

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:35 AM   #120
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've been making As so far, I'll have you know. I'm not doing Geography as in Geographic locations, I'm doing the Information Systems/ Remote sensing part of it. Much more interesting. Especially since my focus is Geo-visualisation of archaeological sites... that means I get to fiddle around with making archaeological sites 3D.

Oh boy, there I drone. Let's get back on topic people.