Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #101
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Just Israeli, Mari.

I'm making tea, anyone want some? I'm imploding under the stress.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 10-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #102
katya
Elven Maiden

I could go for a cup of tea. Let us sip tea and relax from stress.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #103
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
*Apparently the Alliterate Monster has been affecting some of the Mooters present*
Old 10-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #104
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
Empress_Flynn, you can change your title to "Elf Lady" if you want. People have done that before but I don't think it's an "exclusive" title.

Why yes Shesabrandybuck, I did start the Teacup! My proudest Mooting achievement, along with having the honour to be your co-presdient.

Hey, in the previous Teacup you asked about Roman numerals. Allow me to explain the system. There is a single numeral for only some numbers, and they are combined to form all numbers.

1 - I
5 - V
10 - X
50 - L
100 - C
500 - D
1000 - M

To represent other numbers, these are combined in a certain order following rules. You never have more than three of the same character in a row. So 4 is not IIII. Four is shown like this: IV. The I to the left of V represents "five minus one". Similarly, 9 is IX.

So the rule is that if a smaller numeral is to the left of the larger numeral, that amount is subtracted from the larger numeral. 9 = IX. If the smaller numeral is to the right of the larger one, it is added to it. 11 = XI.

Here are the first ten numerals so you can see the pattern:

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X

Now, you combine both the "left = subtract" and "right = add" rules to make larger numbers. 19 is XIX or "ten plus nine". Also, if two numerals of equal value are beside each other, they are added. 20 = XX.

These rules don't just apply to the I, V, and X numerals. 40 is XL, or "fifty minus ten". 900 is CM. The current year 2008 in Roman numerals is MMVIII. I was born in MCMLXXXIII (1983).

As you can see, the Roman numeral system has its problems. One, math with these numbers is pretty much impossible. There's no logical system for it, so Roman engineers probably did math in their head. This is impressive when you consider what they built. Or maybe they used Arabic numerals for math, I don't know.

The other problem is large numbers get really stupid. Anything more than 5,000 is dumb because M, as far as I know, is the largest number. Makes you wonder how Gaius Justus (fictional Roman guy) described the size of his legions. "We currently have MMMMMMMDXLVI troops, having taken significant losses of MMCDXII in recent battles..." Maybe they just wrote the words out in letters.

Hey, sometimes Roman lads were given names based on their birth order. I wonder if young Secundus (second son) had the nickname II as a kid?

There are advantages to Roman numerals though. For one thing, they look nice on analog watch faces. And we still use upper and lower case numerals for lists in academic writing. (Depending on the type of list you write either i, ii, iii, iv etc. or I,II,III,IV etc.)
That was EXTREMELY helpful!! Nurv saves the day again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
I'm sorry I missed this conversation. I'm much in the same boat as Katya, but I am having patience problems.. considering my dad won't even consider letting us get married till 2011, and we're not in any position to do so anyway.

Link, I met my boyfriend in high school; when we were sophomores. Fortunately for us, we didn't start dating till we were seniors (dating since 10th grade and no marriage? I'd die!) But when we were first dating, my dad kept telling me not to get too attached to him, because I might just meet someone better at college. I always appreciated the mountains of support I got from my parents... [/sarcasm].

Hyrulian Saviour? I like it... Or even ... *snicker* Zelda Lover! Hee heee.. but seeing as how you are a girl, that might not work well. But it's still funny to me.
High School sweethearts, atleast your highschool relationship meant something. Mine dont usually last longer than a month or two. High school can be so ridiculous .

Hyrulian Saviour! Hahahahaha that is so funny!!!!!!!! I'll seriously have to consider it!! Hmm...maybe not so much Zelda lover, but indeed Link lover...hahaha I am SO WEIRD. But I think I'm cool..., which is probably why Im a loser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Just Israeli, Mari.

I'm making tea, anyone want some? I'm imploding under the stress.
I would love some tea, sis. Under stress? Im really sorry, I hope things ease up soon! Is it too personal to ask why you are under stress?
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
Old 10-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #105
katya
Elven Maiden

Seems she's not around. How are you doing, Link?
Old 10-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #106
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! I made a 99% on my US test, and a 21/20 on my Trig hw. I am doing so well in trig, and it makes me really proud of myself! I'm doing awesome in all of my classes and it just puts me in a bright mood . And I'm like what...5 away from 500?

How are you, Katya?

twitter
Old 10-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #107
katya
Elven Maiden

Oh yeah, I'm surprised you're not at 500 yet. Have you thought about your 500th post? That's awesome you're doing so well in class. I think I'm doing pretty well too, but I'm anxious to see what grade I get on my social psychology paper. I turned it in a week ago but she's been too busy to grade it until now. But see? Trig's not so bad.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #108
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Nope, not so bad! Yet, atleast. I have it everyday for half a year and then pre-calc the second half of the year. AP stat next year...ew.

I always am anxious about a grade after I turn something in. I just want to know what I get on it immediately after I turn it in!

I havent thought about what I am going to do for my 500th post. Probably nothing special. Orrrrr I could just talk about my whole entmoot history up until this point !! But that would just be annoying hahaha. I'm still thinking about the custom title lol.

twitter
Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #109
katya
Elven Maiden

Man, I didn't take pre-calc until college, and I didn't take trig ever (though I learned it in pre-cal, I guess). I'm a junior in college and I haven't taken stats yet and only one taken calc I. I'm actually liking linear algebra though.

It's cool because I'm taking an online class, so when we have multiple choice tests they are graded immediately electronically. I think the scores aren't released until the test-taking window time is over though. Computers can't grade essays though (yet!).

I don't remember my 500th post. I think it was just something arbitrary.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #110
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

yet! That is so true! I hate essays sometimes, but I am generally really good at them because english is probably one of my best subjects.

Im a junior in high school, and I have taken: Algebra 1A and 1B, Geometry, Algebra 2, and now Trigonometry and soon pre calculus. We only need I think three or four to graduate and I've already got 4 and soon to be 6!! Most kids only have three so far haha. I took algebra 2 over the summer and it was so much work! It paid off though. I'm taking a lot of sciences too. I have had: Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry (currently) and my senior year I am going to take: Anatomy/Physiology, Astronomy, Marine Biology, and Physics. I can't wait for Astronomy, its my favorite subject

twitter
Old 10-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #111
katya
Elven Maiden

Wow, hard worker! I never heard of taking summer classes in high school. I would've been all about doing that. I got kind of messed up being in Japan for senior year so I didn't get to take FST (functions stats trig) or chemistry. Our school just didn't offer astronomy or I would've taken it. But I took it last semester in college. I love astronomy! I didn't really think you were big into math and science, Link. Oh, by the way, English is my strongest subject too.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #112
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Im not into math at all, I just need it for college, i guess. Science on the other hand, I just love. Anything about the human body, or space, I am totally there haha. Its so intriguing, and somewhat inspirational, from my point of view at least.

twitter
Old 10-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #113
katya
Elven Maiden

I think so too. I really love the sciences. I tried to go into physics, originally, but after a bunch of back and forth I decided to just do the math major and physics minor, because math is at the heart of physics anyway. That, and I also really like computer science, which is also very closely tied to math. Astronomy (and cosmology) is pretty much my favorite field of physics though.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #114
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

I completely agree. I would love to be an astronomer, but that requires too much math haha. But working with the human body is the next best thing. I think that it is the most interesting thing. Its so complex!! It fascinates me how everything functions. Human instincts are really cool to think about too. Its kind of different for everyone. Its just so weird how everyone views things differently, like politics and such. Same thing with foods! Like I hate mexican/chinese/japnese food. I also hate ketchup, mustard, tomatoes (including tomato sauce, yes, that means I dont eat speghetti). Its so crazy

twitter
Old 10-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #115
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah we're learning about stuff like that in social psychology too. It talks about both societal and biological reasons for why humans do things. I love the human body too. So complex...
Old 10-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #116
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesabrandybuck View Post
That was EXTREMELY helpful!! Nurv saves the day again!

High School sweethearts, atleast your highschool relationship meant something. Mine dont usually last longer than a month or two. High school can be so ridiculous .

Hyrulian Saviour! Hahahahaha that is so funny!!!!!!!! I'll seriously have to consider it!! Hmm...maybe not so much Zelda lover, but indeed Link lover...hahaha I am SO WEIRD. But I think I'm cool..., which is probably why Im a loser...

I would love some tea, sis. Under stress? Im really sorry, I hope things ease up soon! Is it too personal to ask why you are under stress?
Ah, big season in my political activities, and nothing else takes a vacation for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Seems she's not around.
Had to produce some food and instruction. Back now.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 10-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #117
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

500 POSTS!!!!!!!!
WHOOP WHOOP!!! It's been an interesting journey so far and I can't wait to continue the adventure

I would just like to thank a few people who helped make this possible.....haha just kidding

One milestone down, I wonder how many are left, I hope a lot, cause I just love entmoot *smiles proudly*

Anyway, back to the conversation...which I now forgot what we were talking about. I swear I have short term memory loss.

twitter
Old 10-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #118
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

*pokes Link* Um, it's written down.

And congratulations!

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #119
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

I didnt think that you could look at posts using the "post repy", only using the quick reply. Oh, what do I know?

Anyway, whats up sis? Feeling any better?

twitter
Old 10-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #120
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Frankly, a pint of Ben And Jerrys and a warm footbath would "do me better", but the headache medicine is helping.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Closed Thread