Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 03:06 AM   #101
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Even if Annatar had not directly touched the Three, they were still made after his instructions. It was by his knowledge and help that Celebrimbor and the Eregion Elves were able to make such powerful Rings.
IMO, that doesn't make them evil. I think Sauron (I like how you refer to him as Annatar ) gave instructions for the making of the Three for two reasons:
1- After all his seduction and promises to the elves of Eregion, he had to give them something. After all, he wasn't called Annatar (lord of gifts) for no reason
2- He needed to be closely involved in the way all of the rings are made so that he can easily construct the Ruling Ring that can subdue the remaining 19 rings.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:32 AM   #102
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

True, I didn't mean to indicate that the 3 Elves rings were evil. It was meant as an explanation on why the One Ring had power over them.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:17 AM   #103
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

yeah I assume thats why Galadriel wore her ring because Sauron was not in control of the one so she didnt need to be subdued.

And yeah we have made it through 6 pages. I am so happy. this is my frist forum that has actually continued! Weeee! (giddy) Everyone keep posting! YEAH!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:16 AM   #104
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Though thhe Three were not inherently evil, JRRT described them in the Letters as sinful, because they thwarted the will of Eru that all mortal things wither and pass away.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:41 AM   #105
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Wasn't it rather the act of using them to slow down the effects of time that was sinful, and not the rings themselves? Elrond and Gandalf seem to have used them with other purposes.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:11 AM   #106
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Well Gandalf used his to kindle the spirit of fire in other hearts.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 08-26-2004, 02:18 PM   #107
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Wasn't it rather the act of using them to slow down the effects of time that was sinful, and not the rings themselves? Elrond and Gandalf seem to have used them with other purposes.
Well, according to my theology, sin can only be committed by created beings, so, I would say, yes. We are told that there was no evil in the Three.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:09 PM   #108
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
but was the ring evil. Not the power of the ring but the littl egolden ring. Was it evil. I think not. I think the poor thing was a victim of circumstance. He was created to hold evil but that doesnt make him evil as he has no choice in the matter. Poor little ring.

"he"?.... I thought a ring is an inanimate object. "IT was created to hold evil" sounds better.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:00 PM   #109
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
"he"?.... I thought a ring is an inanimate object. "IT was created to hold evil" sounds better.
Wouldn't you say that the One Ring was somewhat sentient?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-26-2004, 04:02 PM   #110
Telcontar_Dunedain

Not enough to be defined he (or she).
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-26-2004, 04:02 PM   #111
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

But I thought we established earlier that the sentience of the Ring was not inherent to it, it came from the "malice and cruelty" of Sauron poured into it. So if Sauron had chosen a ping-pong ball instead of the Ring, the Ring wouldn't be sentient, but the ping-pong ball would
Old 08-26-2004, 04:10 PM   #112
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yes but is malice and cruelty either he or she even if it comes from a he or she.

Old 08-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #113
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, I don't think we have to go as far as to give the Ring a gender.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #114
Haradrim

Wow I thought I ha dconceeded but I guess Ill give i another go....
The ring was an inatimate object. However the gold that made the ring was tainted with some kind of evil not inherent to the ring. So that is not the ring's fault. And therefore I would not call it evil. I would call it a victim of circumstance. ThenSauron makes trhe ring in a place of great evil. I dont see what that has to do with the ring being evil and then he places an evil spirit ino t the ring. So the evilnese embodies the ring. I would say that the ring is not evil but in fact a victim of circumstance.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:35 PM   #115
Haradrim

ntw if anything had a gender ot would be the spirit embodying the ring but I do not think that senteints means that it has a gender.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:39 PM   #116
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Fine - the gold was a victim of Sauron. (just kidding) The gold, before Sauron messed up with it, had no life, nor mind, and therefore cannot be either evil or good, or a victim.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:39 PM   #117
Telcontar_Dunedain

For reasons that have already been stated (I don't know how many times) the Ring was evil. It was always trying to get back to Sauron if it wasn't evil then it wouldn't have done and all deeds it was used for were turned to evil.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:02 PM   #118
Haradrim

Thats my point. THe ring was inatimite so how could it be evil. Just cuz he placed some spirit inside of it. THe spirit is evil the inatimate thing is still neither. I never meant to szy it was good (tho I probably did ) How can some thing be evil it has no mind and you cant give it a mind. You can however put something evil into a inatimait object but does that make the ring evil. THat is the discussion and I personally say no. The power and all the things it did were evil but the inatimate object wasnt evil.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:45 PM   #119
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Thats my point. THe ring was inatimite so how could it be evil. Just cuz he placed some spirit inside of it. THe spirit is evil the inatimate thing is still neither. I never meant to szy it was good (tho I probably did ) How can some thing be evil it has no mind and you cant give it a mind. You can however put something evil into a inatimait object but does that make the ring evil. THat is the discussion and I personally say no. The power and all the things it did were evil but the inatimate object wasnt evil.
But does it important that wa sbefore? Can you say that the Nazgul are not evil? They are evil, even though not from the beginnig; the same wqith teh Ring. The gold itself was probably innocent (if you can say sio about gold, without mind), but it doesn't matter because the Ring was evil, after everything it passed.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:50 PM   #120
Haradrim

but the NAzgul are evil because they are not just objects that sudddenly got taken over by a hostile mind. They are evil but the ring is not because it has no mind and never had one. The ring is just a place holder fo r the evil.