Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2002, 01:03 PM   #101
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

Re: Edoras, remember that the Rohirrim are essentially a quasi-nomadic tribe of noble savages and their buildings reflect that lifestyle.

They pobably simply do not have the stone, manpower or knowledge to create a Minas Tirith North, nor would they want to because its a waste of resources given they way they live.

Their military power derives from speed and superiorly trained warhorses, not from technology and genetics like the men of Gondor, and when they have to fight from a fixed location, they resort to caves and other natural formations.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 08:37 PM   #102
Midgardsormen
Hobbit

I had a bit the same problem....I could never quite agree with myself if Treebeard was a mobile tree, or looked like the BFG (big friendly giant) with more twiglike hands and leaves in his hair...but from what little we saw, he LOOKS like a tree, but he also look very much alive
So I am very happy with TB, but Gollum....
It makes me wonder if my 'idea' is actually way off!! Sometimes my imagination does not even fit clear descriptions....
I have always imagined Gollum to be just a bit taller than the Hobbits, really skinny with knobly knees etc, and thin greyish skin stretched over the bones...his eyes are big and round....
He is NOT green and NOT froglike!!!
I shall have to wait and see, but I was not happy with the little peek we got in the preview!!!

Last edited by Midgardsormen : 04-03-2002 at 08:39 PM.
Midgardsormen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 08:56 PM   #103
Elf Girl
Lurker

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG!!!! I havn't seen it, and all the links don't work! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG!!!!
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:03 PM   #104
arenya
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

i dont know...treebeard loooked exactly like i had him pictured, and so did the rest of the characters! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

does anyone know the words to the poem that Theoden says? I cant get any of the trailer downloads to work. The poem was chilling whatever it is that he said set the mood for the entire TTT movie perfectly!

I am looking forward to an emotional performance from master samwise in cirith ungol, whichever movie it is in!

"I sit beside the fire and think/of people long ago,/ and people who will see a world/ that I shall never know./ But all the while I sit and think/of times there were before,/ I listen for returning feet/ and voices at the door." -Bilbo
arenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:27 PM   #105
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I didn't really notice the poem that much when I saw it, 'cause I was so caught up with the images...but I'll listen for it when I see it again tomorrow. Maybe I can try to write it down or something.

I really didn't know what Gollum would look like, but I found the image in the movie to be pretty close to what I thought.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 06:24 AM   #106
Lightice
Elven Warrior

For now, Gollum looks nearly exactly like my idea of him. Gray skinned, big eyed and very, very ugly...
I have never clearly pictured ents...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 11:31 AM   #107
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by arenya

...does anyone know the words to the poem that Theoden says? I cant get any of the trailer downloads to work. The poem was chilling whatever it is that he said set the mood for the entire TTT movie perfectly!
I think the poem is called, "Lament for the Rohirrim." The opening lines to the poem are these:
Quote:
Where now the horse and rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
That is my guess. In the book it comes from the chapter "The King of the Golden Hall", and was spoken by Aragorn as they passed the barrows of the Kings of Rohan. I could be wrong about this, as I only saw the preview once. What do you say mooters?

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 11:43 AM   #108
Darth Tater
The man

I think it's a reworking of that poem

The animation work on Gollum was obviously not finished. His hair was stuck in place, whereas in FOTR it moved incredibly realistically, and his skin was not nearly as well textured. However, I think the point of that unfinished shot was to give us a better sense of what he'll look like and how he moves, and those are awesome!!!!!!!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 11:46 AM   #109
Elf Girl
Lurker

For me, Gollum was perfect, except I imagined him light blue and slippery.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:48 AM   #110
Elf Girl
Lurker

Oh, and I also didn't imagine him with hair.
Old 04-04-2002, 01:24 PM   #111
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

I sat in the cinema and for the third time watched Sam reassure Frodo and take their first tentive steps in to Mordor. I prepared to leap from my seat and exclaim what a great movie that was, ungraciously ripping my fellow viewers from the beauty of Middle Earth to our gray modern city. But something today stoped me.
The screen remained blank. But I felt that something was coming. Suddenly glod letters glinted up on screen "THIS CHRISTMAS". I was pinned to my chair. "oh please oh please!" i silently whispered my finders gripping the chair where they had ripped through during Moria. "CONTINUE THE JOURNEY". I opened my mouth in a silent screem. This was it, this was the Two Towers.
I can't wait for 19/12/02 I just can't I really think I will go mad!
luv
Play Girl
xxx

PS Anywhere I can download the trailer?

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 01:11 PM   #112
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i love my boyfriend!
he surprised me last night, just as i was bummin (cause last night was the LAST time LOTR: FOTR would be shown at the theatre)
and whisked me away to go see it!
i forgot about how much he love it too. boy am i luckey!!

i actually yelled THAT TREE HAS EYES!
Then i laughed manicially.
soo.
yea that poem that theoden says while getting siuted up gave me chills, leggy is quite the boy in this one, faramir is .. well lets just say that i am NOT complaining. and gandalf is sweet

wormtounge is even better than my vision ( a fat little nervous man that sweats alot)
and eowyn! wow.

such wonderful casting!

too bad i won't live to see it! i'll die waiting first!
Old 04-05-2002, 02:00 PM   #113
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

[quote] the Two Towers trailer.... four mins long! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE E EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
TREEBEARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FARAMIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EOWYN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEODEN KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*pauses*

TREEEEEEEEEBEEEEEEEEAAAAAAARRRRRRRDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! [/qute]

that's what I posted at an N Sync/gen msgs board that I frequent... there's no such thing as OT there but anyway

how cute was Pippin's reaction to Treebeard? he's hanging onto what appears to be his nose and he turns and looks away... eye opens... looks back with this look that's like "Hold up.... this tree has eyes"

I wanted to yell something out but I was speechless..... oh my gosh

"He fears Aragorn... and what he may become" EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..........................

that poem.... very niiiiiiiiiice.......

in the car on the way home with my dad and b/f (the latter I saw it with) my b/f (tom) said "I can't wait for this Christmas!!!!" and he ain't even an LotR geek like the rest of us he hasn't even read the books (which I will do my best to change)

he told me his theroy for the rest of the movies... I wouldn't confirm nor deny anything but he was right on the Frodo and Sam end

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

"He fears you Aragorn, and what you may become"

Two Towers in 6 months!
Halley_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 03:00 PM   #114
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Wow! may i just say... wow!

Faramir faramir faramir!!!

I though i hate to say it, Miranda Otto is perfect as Eowyn. Theoden's poem - weeeiiirrrddd and treebeard! oh treebeard!

Me and eowyn144, rosie lass, gg and some girl you dont know all went today! we watched it really closely and i actually squeked when i saw faramir!!
Eowyn144, rosielass and I all stayed behind even for the credits! we were in such shock we just sat down and watched all the names scroll down screen. GG was preety annoyed with us but hey! they are credits! LOTR credits!

I cant remember if anyone else said this but Legolas's eyes!!! They were as blue as frodo's! You got a wonderful close up shot of him looking brave and then suddenly his eyes flashed blue!

And merry and pippin looked so cute when they woke up on the ground. They all looked afraid and wondering what was going on! I dont know if the othrs i went wih noticed but after the trailer finishe we ALL in unison went oh my goodness! The majority of the cinema looked round at us!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 04:35 PM   #115
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I can honestly say that I have never seen the Mooters so excited before . . . to echo Tater's long-ago comment . . . "OH MY FACKING GOD!"
Sums it up quite well, though!!!!
I saw it Monday, and I think I've talked my dad into taking me to see it again (he's a LotR nut too) next weekend . . . AAH! TOO LONG TO WAIT!. It's so incredible . . . they seem to have kept all the qualities that made TTT special. And they kept the distinction of tone between FotR and TTT, or so it seems. Geez, December can't come quickly enough! WE WANT TTT NOW!!!
I loved the shot of Eowyn . . . whoever's playing her seems to have caught her character well. And the Helm's deep stuff looks great . . . My favorite frame was of Gandalf the White, though. And Saruman was talking to himself again . . . I swear that dude is crazy! Theoden, also, was really awesome . . . oh, man . . . I gotta go see the movie again just so I can see that trailer!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:37 PM   #116
rohirrim19
Sapling

I went last Saturday to see the preview (strongly against my parent's wishes might I add, considering the amount of money I had previouslly spent seeing the film)
I was in complete awe. I was like, squealing, if that's the word to describe it. Everything looked so perfect. I am expecially looking forward to the scenes in Rohan and of course Helm's deep. THeoden and Eowyn looked perfect, absolutly perfect. And Treebeard? I barely relized it was him till after the preview was long over, it was then that I stopped in my tracks, turned to my group of friends and gleefully proclaimed "OMG! That tree had an EYE!"
rohirrim19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 10:57 PM   #117
Darth Tater
The man

OHMYGREATGOOGLYMOOGLYGOD! I downloaded the trailer torn is linking to. Low quality, but I saw it in high quality and now I can realize what it was I saw! And now when I go back I'll know what to look for! Plus the sound is pretty good, and one of the best parts is Theoden's recitation of the poem!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 11:01 PM   #118
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

MMMM is for Miranda..MMMM

I'm going to get that downloaded too..

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 11:06 PM   #119
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

mmmmmmmm is for pina coladas..

ewr,, yea, well anyways..

wow, gandalf sure is specactular!
i WILL die waiting, i know it.. ack!..

hey- new thought, maybe something like that will be on the LOTR:FOTR dvd.. hmmm

woooohoooooo!
Old 04-05-2002, 11:47 PM   #120
rohirrim19
Sapling

I'm already going crazy waiting... I can't imagine myself when December roles around...
rohirrim19 is offline   Reply With Quote