Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #1161
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
What do you mean? How would it imply a designer? Whats the point exactly of makeing chimpanzee dna look almost identical to human dna if everything was just created? And whats the point of having so much junk dna by the way? i mean if mutations are not important and creation is the way things happen then why have all that uneccessary mess?
well now we get into a theological subject about how we live in a fallen and imperfect world because of sin. but i have a feeling if we want to talk about that we should go to a different thread.

and why wouldn't God make his creations similar if we are created in God's image we use his methods in our creation. One example would be cars now i have a geo prizm it is made by chevy but the toyota corolla is exactly the same parts wise for the corresponding year model, it has, to borrow the colloquialism the same dna of my car. asking Why?? they are the same seems pointless obviously some of the same people designed it

but i guess if i were an evolutionist i would say that they evolved from a common ancestor by chance
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #1162
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
but i guess if i were an evolutionist i would say that they evolved from a common ancestor by chance
it did... but not by chance... it evolved from humans

we, and what we create, are part of evolution... not outside it
Old 09-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #1163
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
well now we get into a theological subject about how we live in a fallen and imperfect world because of sin. but i have a feeling if we want to talk about that we should go to a different thread.

and why wouldn't God make his creations similar if we are created in God's image we use his methods in our creation. One example would be cars now i have a geo prizm it is made by chevy but the toyota corolla is exactly the same parts wise for the corresponding year model, it has, to borrow the colloquialism the same dna of my car. asking Why?? they are the same seems pointless obviously some of the same people designed it

so... are you saying god took a bunch of random dna and tweaked things here and there and made man? and then tweaked a few more things and made chimpanzees? or did he make the chimps first and tweaked them slightly to make man? doesnt the bible say that man came first? or did got set up the world before man came along?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 09-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #1164
rohirrim TR

Quote:
so... are you saying god took a bunch of random dna and tweaked things here and there and made man? and then tweaked a few more things and made chimpanzees? or did he make the chimps first and tweaked them slightly to make man? doesnt the bible say that man came first? or did got set up the world before man came along?
if you really want to know why don't you read the bible? actually God created the world and the animals and then created man in his own image. but were kind of off thread here

i'm surprised at your attitude about dna it is one of the most complex aspect of science there is and honestly i don't know very much about it myself but none of it is unneccessary or random and it is very improbable that something that complex could come about by chance,
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #1165
rohirrim TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
it did... but not by chance... it evolved from humans

we, and what we create, are part of evolution... not outside it
i disagree with you there, we are part of creation erego, we keep creating

the main reason i find evolution so impossibe is the natural course of the world, things get worse and wear out (my car for example), things don't improve or get better, they get old and die (my old horse for example there) if things like say a dell pc were left on the top of a mountain it would not evolve into a mac powerbook it would just get ruined, the same goes for animals
Quote:
Old 09-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #1166
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
i'm surprised at your attitude about dna it is one of the most complex aspect of science there is and honestly i don't know very much about it myself but none of it is unneccessary or random and it is very improbable that something that complex could come about by chance,
actually, that is not true... if you look back at the history and the decoding of the DNA structure... many scientists at the time (linus pauling, for example) had beautiful and efficient theories for how DNA would work... the theory being that nature (or god depending on pov) would come up with "the best possible solution

in reality DNA is very inefficient and nowhere near as structured as they believed... it acts much more like something that was developed and patched along the way, as opposed to a nice clear design from scratch

a clear pointer that either evolution is true, or our designer isn't as good as we think he is
Old 09-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #1167
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
i disagree with you there, we are part of creation erego, we keep creating

the main reason i find evolution so impossibe is the natural course of the world, things get worse and wear out (my car for example), things don't improve or get better, they get old and die (my old horse for example there) if things like say a dell pc were left on the top of a mountain it would not evolve into a mac powerbook it would just get ruined, the same goes for animals
stars form all the time... as do solar systems... maybe life does too?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:10 PM   #1168
rohirrim TR

Quote:
actually, that is not true... if you look back at the history and the decoding of the DNA structure... many scientists at the time (linus pauling, for example) had beautiful and efficient theories for how DNA would work... the theory being that nature (or god depending on pov) would come up with "the best possible solution

in reality DNA is very inefficient and nowhere near as structured as they believed... it acts much more like something that was developed and patched along the way, as opposed to a nice clear design from scratch

a clear pointer that either evolution is true, or our designer isn't as good as we think he is
you must remember that the study of dna is fairly new and there may be many discoveries to be made yet , as for myself when i have time i will do some research
Quote:
Old 09-08-2005, 05:12 PM   #1169
rohirrim TR

Quote:
stars form all the time... as do solar systems... maybe life does too?
perhaps... oh wait, ours is the only planet on which life can survive
Quote:
Old 09-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #1170
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
As BJ says DNA resembles an old rug that has been patched countless times over and over using the same material and making minor adjustments here and there. It certainly isnt perfectly formed most of it is junk. And when you look at the DNA of other animals you see the same junk with a few different twists in protein sequence. So If a creator were designing each creature individually you wouldnt see all this junk and you shouldnt see so much relatedness and so much similarity. Now if a natural phenomenon like evolution was occuring you WOULD see all this. and sure enough...

Old 09-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #1171
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Im tempted to break out my long list of known imperfections and anomolies in nature on this bunch. Im curious to see how one would explain arm bones on snakes or hips on whales.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #1172
rohirrim TR

Quote:
As BJ says DNA resembles an old rug that has been patched countless times over and over using the same material and making minor adjustments here and there. It certainly isnt perfectly formed most of it is junk. And when you look at the DNA of other animals you see the same junk with a few different twists in protein sequence. So If a creator were designing each creature individually you wouldnt see all this junk and you shouldnt see so much relatedness and so much similarity. Now if a natural phenomenon like evolution was occuring you WOULD see all this. and sure enough...
the reason the protein resembles ours is so we can eat almost any kind of animal, if they were all unique the only thing that we could eat would be other humans, and I know God didn't want that;
Quote:
Old 09-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #1173
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

err...

Old 09-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #1174
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

We can eat things that don't have particularly similar DNA - plants, for example, are a whole different kingdom, as are fungi, and we can eat them.

As to experiments bringing something from nothing, I don't have links (because I read this in a printed book that is somewhere within what is the mess that is my bookshelves) but they did some experiments in the 60s that got as far as amino acids by jolting electricity through sealed environments built to model ancient Earth (ie much carbon, less oxygen in the air, etc).

And brownjenkins is right about DNA being a jumble. A high percentage of it is so-called "junk DNA", which appears not to have any real use. In fact, there are enzymes that exist just to cut junk DNA out of DNA before it can be expressed.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:45 PM   #1175
rohirrim TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
We can eat things that don't have particularly similar DNA - plants, for example, are a whole different kingdom, as are fungi, and we can eat them.

As to experiments bringing something from nothing, I don't have links (because I read this in a printed book that is somewhere within what is the mess that is my bookshelves) but they did some experiments in the 60s that got as far as amino acids by jolting electricity through sealed environments built to model ancient Earth (ie much carbon, less oxygen in the air, etc).

And brownjenkins is right about DNA being a jumble. A high percentage of it is so-called "junk DNA", which appears not to have any real use. In fact, there are enzymes that exist just to cut junk DNA out of DNA before it can be expressed.
like i said ya'll when i have more time i will do some research, i never claimed to be an authority on it
Quote:
Old 09-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #1176
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Quote:
like i said ya'll when i have more time i will do some research, i never claimed to be an authority on it
I know And I'm not an authority either. I was just pointing out research I remember as being out there, since it hadn't been brought up.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:33 PM   #1177
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

This week is Evolution Schevolution week on the Daily Show. Great stuff.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:10 AM   #1178
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 PM   #1179
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

That is a hilarious cartoon, Spock.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #1180
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yes, it is!

Here's the latest on how to teach about origins:
Quote:
85 Scientists Join Together in Urging Court to Protect Academic Freedom and Not Limit Research into Intelligent Design Theory

By: Staff
Discovery Institute
October 4, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harrisburg, PA – Eighty-five scientists have filed an Amicus Brief in the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial asking the Judge to “affirm the freedom of scientists to pursue scientific evidence wherever it may lead” and not limit research into the scientific theory of intelligent design. Not all the signers are proponents of intelligent design, but they do agree “that protecting the freedom to pursue scientific evidence for intelligent design stimulates the advance of scientific knowledge.”

The signers of the brief, identified as “Amici curiae” include such notable scientists as Dr. Philip Skell of the National Academy of Sciences, Dr. Lyle H. Jensen a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and Dr. Russell W. Carlson Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Executive Technical Director, Complex Carbohydrate Research Center at the University of Georgia.

“The advance of scientific knowledge depends on uninhibited, robust investigation seeking the best explanation,” said Gonzaga University law professor David DeWolf, a senior fellow at Discovery Institute. “Doubts as to whether a theory adequately explains the evidence should be resolved in the laboratory not in the court room. Scientists are concerned that a Court ruling limiting the nature of science would have far-reaching detrimental effects beyond the schoolhouse doors and into the laboratories and careers of many legitimate scientists.”

The brief reads in part:

Amici curiae are scientists who oppose any attempt to define the nature of science in a way that would limit their ability to follow the evidence wherever it may lead. Since the identification of intelligent causes is a well established scientific practice in fields such as forensic science, archaeology, and exobiology, Amici urge this Court to reject plaintiffs’ claim that the application of intelligent design to biology is unscientific. Any ruling that depends upon an outdated or inaccurate definition of science, or which attempts to define the boundaries of science, could hinder scientific progress.

Amici are professional scientists who support academic freedom for scientific research into the scientific theory of intelligent design. Some Amici are scientists whose research directly addresses design in biology, physics, or astronomy. Other Amici are scientists whose research does not bear directly upon the intelligent design hypothesis, but feel it is a viable conclusion from the empirical data. Finally, some Amici are skeptics of intelligent design who believe that protecting the freedom to pursue scientific evidence for intelligent design stimulates the advance of scientific knowledge. All Amici agree that courts should decline to rule on the scientific validity of theories which are the subject of vigorous scientific debate.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Closed Thread