Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #1161
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

BB! Missed you, my old friend <3

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 12-31-2016, 06:49 AM   #1162
Mari
Elf Lady

Happy New Year, for all of you on the other side of the world!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 12-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #1163
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Happy new year, and the best wishes for 2017. May 2017 be good.

New Year's going to be nice and quiet dinner with my folks, cleaning out the few remaining gifts under the tree and maybe a movie and snacks. Looking forward to it.

Not so looking forward to stressing over calling in the cats in time for when some of the more jackass neighbour start setting off fireworks way before 8 PM. If the last few days have been an indication, some people here in the neighbouring streets have no pets themselves and precious little thought for other peoples' pets and way too much fireworks in their shed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I'm the same way, Earniel. I make everyone comfortable in my house when they visit, with the exception of smoking and vaping. They still need to go outside for that. I'm sensitive to vapors as well. Which I recently learned...
I'd agree, making other people comfortable shouldn't come at a personal health-expense either. Sometimes all it takes is a decent seat outside, out of the rain, for visiting smokers and everybody can be satisfied.

Quote:
But I guess every time a family gets together, there's going to be drama llamas
Now I'm having visions of people sitting at holiday feast tables with an actual llama looking over their shoulder and nobody daring to address the llama in the room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
We survived Christmas! No drama, only a little stress and lots of fun.
Yeay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
Yay! My in-laws actually took their cigarettes outside
Doubly yay!
Old 12-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #1164
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Not so looking forward to stressing over calling in the cats in time for when some of the more jackass neighbour start setting off fireworks way before 8 PM. If the last few days have been an indication, some people here in the neighbouring streets have no pets themselves and precious little thought for other peoples' pets and way too much fireworks in their shed...
poor babies!

Quote:
Now I'm having visions of people sitting at holiday feast tables with an actual llama looking over their shoulder and nobody daring to address the llama in the room...
lmao!

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #1165
Earniel

Yeah, the cats don't like fireworks much, except for the PsychoCat since he's deaf. So we called them indoors as soon as we got home and fed them like three tasty meals in the hope they'd be too full and sleepy to be bothered much.

And indeed, first bangs were before 10PM with a barrage of fireworks at midnight which bothered NormalishCat enough to wonder through the house looking out of sorts and I didn't see TraumaCat at all until next morning so I hope she was holed up somewhere she felt safe.

You know, the worst thing really, is that personal fireworks are technically forbidden in this county, but usually condoned unless, say, you set your neighbour's roof on fire. Still, too many people still don't think fireworks through. What goes up, MUST come down.

I remember the memorable Year when the new neighbours from across the street celebrated ther first New Year here with fireworks lighted on the street. Oh yes, away from their house allright, they read the instructions so far. Pity they forgot there were houses you know, on the other side of the street. We collected quite a bit of firework sticks that year, included one that missed me by inches and the one we had to pull of the veranda glass roof, on and the one in the pool. (Good times...) And just as we were bitching amongst ourselves about inconsiderate neighbours we see another neighbour purposely crossing the street, looking decidely grumpy, with in his hand a bouquet of firework stems... We never quite saw what went down or what was said (curse them incoveniently planted hedgerows!) but those new neighbours never lit fireworks on for New Year again.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #1166
Mari
Elf Lady

Wow, that must be one impressive neighbour then! Coolio.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #1167
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
You know, the worst thing really, is that personal fireworks are technically forbidden in this county, but usually condoned unless, say, you set your neighbour's roof on fire.
In Norway, fireworks with sticks are forbidden, and many cities forbid the use of personal fireworks in the central area - and some of them have official fireworks in the city centre instead, with hired professional pyrotechnicians (?) to do the job safely.

Where personal fireworks are allowed, they are only allowed from 6 p.m. on New Year's Eve until 2 a.m. on New Year's Day. And fireworks may only be sold on the last three or four days of December, and only licensed shops may import them from abroad.

The sticks were forbidden about ten years ago, and there was a significant drop in eye injuries after that - and I think also a drop in roofs being set on fire.

But people still do stupid things, so injuries still occur and houses still burn.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #1168
Acalewia

Where I live, it's illegal to shoot fireworks in the city limits, unless set off by professionals at the behest of the city during the 4th of July celebrations, but people do it anyway. Scared the poo out of my own PsychoCat

Old 01-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #1169
Earniel

To be fair, now that I think of it, complaining neighbour had one of them old-fashioned tatch roofs and two young kids in the house, so yeah he definitely had reason to be grumpy with fireworks so close to home. New neighbours weren't bad, just clueless. What goes up must come down. And just because something goes up in flames and explodes up there, doesn't mean it'll be done with being on fire by the time it comes down.

I'm kinda glad we don't have the fourth of July here. One giant round of fireworks in the year is quite enough for me, never mind two.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #1170
Acalewia

Glad his house didn't catch on fire

Old 01-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #1171
Alcuin
Salt Miner

We had a housefire many years ago near the Fourth of July. The recently retired fire chief lived across the street from us, and spent about an hour searching for the smell of burning house before he discovered our roof smoking.

When the fire investigators arrived, they first tried to blame my young son, and attempted to brow-beat him into a false confession. Then they blamed my wife for not extinguishing a burning cigarette. She felt guilty about it for many years.

A decade later, I had a conversation with one of the local police detectives. He told me neighborhood teenagers using bottle rockets accidentally shot one under our eaves. It smoldered for a couple of hours before setting our house ablaze. The police and firemen knew this, but because the insurance company would sue my neighbors, and the teenagers would be charged with using illegal fireworks and hence with arson, they pinned the blame on my wife. When I spoke to him about the effect on my son and wife, he just shrugged.

My son still doesn’t trust firemen or policemen. I don’t blame him: neither do I.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #1172
Acalewia

That's BS. It's no wonder people don't trust police. I'm sorry your family had to go through that

Old 01-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #1173
Mari
Elf Lady

How strange!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #1174
Earniel

Yikes! That's pretty aweful. Sure puts a damper on relationships with the neighbours. Hard to look at them again after learning they were all complicit in it.

On lighter news I appear to have past the 14 000 post mark unnoticed. Man, I never realised I'm so talkative.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #1175
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Yikes! That's pretty aweful. Sure puts a damper on relationships with the neighbours. Hard to look at them again after learning they were all complicit in it.

On lighter news I appear to have past the 14 000 post mark unnoticed. Man, I never realised I'm so talkative.
Congratulations on the 14,000 post mark! I hope you remain quite the chatterbox: it is comforting.

There were no repercussions with our neighbors. The retired fire chief died a few years afterwards, of natural causes, I might add. The neighborhood teenagers, whose parents probably never knew what happened, moved away after graduation, and there were several of them from different families, so we never knew which ones were responsible. We didn’t learn the truth for over ten years: the retired fireman was gone, his family sold his house; the teenagers were gone; and there is no one on whom to pin any blame.

But it does give me pause when I read the papers or watch the news and learn the “official story” of what’s happened during the day. I believe it wise to take “official” truth with a grain of salt.

I have a friend who grew up in the Ukraine during the Soviet era. He told me his grandfather received the official Communist Party weekly for farmers, because he was a farmer and a registered Party member. Each week when the newspaper arrived, his grandfather never read it, but immediately gave it instead to the donkey, which ate it. My friend, then a boy, asked his grandfather why he took the paper if he never bothered to read it. His grandfather sagely replied that he was safer as a Party member, and besides, the donkey was hungry.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #1176
Mari
Elf Lady

Pffft, so busy with packing moving boxes while at the same time renovating the new house. 2,5 more weeks to go... o_O

Old 01-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #1177
Earniel

Must have been a hungry donkey indeed to like paper so much.

It's amazing what amount of stuff you have in your house when you need to pack it up, eh Mari? Good luck with the move. Is the new place in need of much renovation?
Old 02-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #1178
Mari
Elf Lady

Actually, it's not that much stuff. I've been patching up room by room the last couple of years, so lots of excess stuff has already gone towards the skip. Combined with the need to finish things like electricity, flooring, painting etc. to a certain point before I have to move out, it's rather hectic though.

The new place... on the surface it didn't appear to need much, but by now we might as well have gutted the place. All the walls needed stripping and the house had to be completely rewired (that one was unexpected, not a fun surprise). The kitchen and bathroom we took out completely, but we had a builder do the building up. Unfortunately the kitchen itself won't arrive till end March. *sigh*
Right now we're working on the floor though. We can't finish all the rooms before the move, but it's starting to look like we may be able to finish at least the rooms that get heavy furniture.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #1179
Mari
Elf Lady

NB: I'm very tired, so if my post is a bit incoherent: sorry.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #1180
Acalewia

Yikes. Sounds like a mess, Mari

Closed Thread