Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #1141
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
1) Secondly, the term you are looking for is "Punctuated Equilibrium."

2) Thirdly, I agree with you that the fossil record of Evolution is not fact, or law - it is theory, however small scale evolution is definately fact.
1) That's it! I knew it was punctuated something. I was trying to remember it too. Thanks.

2) I agree with this. "Micro" evolution I definitely believe in.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 05-26-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:56 PM   #1142
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I have several comments on this subject. Here is the link to the correct thread:

http://www.tolkientrail.com/entmoot/...d+evolution+be
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:11 PM   #1143
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
1)...just be considerate to other people and don't deal out personal insults that have nothing to do with the discussion.

2) Do you try to get people that you care for to read Tolkien? Why is that?

3) Sadly, many, many Christians are obnoxious....I will talk to a person about God ... and I want to share what God has done in my life with anyone that is interested.

4) No, the existence of fossils prove that living things can be fossilized (sp?).

5)Now the thread is somewhat centered around Christianity because I"m a Christian and it just seems like people tend to quote me and other Christians and ask us questions, so we try our best to answer them.
1) If you noticed, I didn't start dishing it out until I had gotten a plateful myself. I held back for quite a while... and you know, that's good for me.
2) Tolkien writes a good story. That is why I encourage and recommend the books. The bible isn't as much fun to read as LotR, IMO. So, I don't recommend that book.
3) agreed... many seem to find it a personal goal to convert as many people as possible. eek! Always the conversation turns to: let me tell you what Jesus has done for me in my life. *tries to avoid evangelical christians*
4) I'm assuming that you do not know the process of fossilization and that is why you made that post. *sigh* Although it is tempting to post the process here, I will let anyone interested, or who doesn't know look it up on the interenet.
I do not know what Christian-creationist centered books or magazines you get your information out of, but any real science book will tell you that fossil records indicate that evolution did in fact take place. Not all animals can be fossilized, however shelled animals are great examples. Look them up.
5) Sorry... I didn't realize. I'll leave then. This will be my last post here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir
EXCUSE me, miss???? What in the NINE HELLS are you TALKING ABOUT???? Did you just read the world Catholic in my post, and assume I was bashing them?? If you would read the post, you would see that couldn't be FARTHER from the truth!!! All that I said was that I couldn't reconcile certain parts of Catholicism to my beliefs. Sheesh!
It was not aimed at you. Some of the others were bashing the Catholic church in what appeared to be an attempt at saving their own sect. You were not offering the Catholic Church up as a sacrifice. You should not be taking offense.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:16 PM   #1144
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
(1)Actually, we don't expect to find scads of these transitional forms because (2)a) the fossil record is too fragile and (3)b) the whole point is that evolution *is* about change, and therefore, all specimens could be considered "transitional." (4)It rather bugs me that people (tending to be creationists) are always accusing us of trying to find transitionals. This simply isn't true!

Secondly, the term you are looking for is "Punctuated Equilibrium."

Thirdly, I agree with you that the fossil record of Evolution is not fact, or law - it is theory, however small scale evolution is definately fact.
(I knew I would get Sheeana in when I posted this! )

(1) Darwin expected to, didn't he? Now the theory has been updated, because they HAVEN"T been found, but I'm reacting to Ruinel's post that said the fossil record PROVED evolution. Do you agree with her statement?
(2) That may be, but there sure are lots of fossils, and of those that DO exist, there are not the originally-expected-amounts of transitional forms, wouldn't you agree?
(3) Well, that seems pretty unfair to me - aren't you working backwards? "All" specimens could be considered transitional (BTW, is that the right term?) because that is what the theory of evolution says? Isn't it more integrity-ful (why oh why isn't there an adjective form of "integrity"!) to look impartially at the data and decide whether or not it fits the theory? Wouldn't you say that the fossil record agrees very well with the creation by intelligent design model of living beings appearing fully formed?
(4) Weren't the th. of ev. people originally trying v. hard to find transitional forms? Now currently I would say they aren't looking (at least openly), because it is so blatantly obvious that there just aren't many, if any. But if a bunch WERE found, wouldn't that be used to support the th. of ev.? (and rightly so). I think that currently they're not being looked for because they've been looked for for so long and not found.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:18 PM   #1145
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem

1) Agreed.
Most religions distort the bible because no one has any real sense of who wrote it. All it is a political tool to control people. It's not as extreme as what is preached by some of the Islamic extremist clerics and the Qu'ran - but in some cases it gets pretty close. That'll give you something to disagree with.
Quote:

2) Disagree. Would you say Khamul is "judging and recruiting people"? He's Baptist, if I remember correctly.
Of course not everyone is going to be going on a recruitment mission. But the baptists in the midwest that I have met were always dictating what other should do - even outside their religion. The local high school couldn't even have anything on wednesday's because it interfered with something about wednesday with Baptists.
Quote:

3) Do you mean "join" Catholicism, or "join" Christianity?
I mean that people aren't pressured to join Catholic Church even when they enter a church or are invited by a friend - like I have been when I have visited other christian churches. I have had personal experience with this. I went to a Lutheran Church and got a lecture from people there about how Catholics are wrong about everything. I went to a Pentecostal Church to spend time with a friend and see their easter celebration - but in the end got a recruitment speech.
Quote:

4) Y'know, a lot of people say much the same regarding Catholicism and the Pope. All depends on whether you grew up Catholic or Protestant, I guess. See, Lief? Even atheist Catholics. (just kidding, JD)
Actually that's where peope are wrong about Catholics. They don't just blindly follow the pope. The pope is the head of the church - but with out disagreement - the church would never change. It used to be that nuns always had to wear habits and couldn't wear normal clothes. Now they can wear normal clothes whenever they want. Catholics also use birth control - contrary to the many snide remarks while I was in the midwest regarding large catholic families.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-26-2003 at 06:20 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:19 PM   #1146
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Ruinel, I never attempted to bash the Catholic church to protect my own. Recall, I specifically said that my post was to Gwaimir. I do have some problems with some aspects of some of the churches. Heck, in the Bible, PAUL had large problems with some of the churches!

One of my Mom's best friends is a Catholic. They are a part of Christianity, following Jesus. Notice also that in that particular post, I spoke more on my troubles with Protestantism than I did about Catholicism. For the record, I'm a Protestant.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:23 PM   #1147
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
4) It was not aimed at you. Some of the others were bashing the Catholic church in what appeared to be an attempt at saving their own sect. You were not offering the Catholic Church up as a sacrifice. You should not be taking offense.
I disagree that it was really done at all. The only people who really said anything at all about Catholicism were Lief and I; as you were not referring to me, I presume you meant Lief. Let's see what he said that could be taken as derogatory:

"One thing you might want to note when considering that, though, is that a lot of Catholic places tend to stifle debate or discussion. There are these things they believe, but they have several beliefs that are not Scripture based. Though of course there are Protestant circles that only accept viewpoints that they hold, and refuse opposing views."

MEA. Hardly singling out Catholicism, is it?

" I have some difficulties with some of the teachings of the Catholic Church. Not the ones I simply don't believe (Like the bread and wine transforming into real blood and flesh) but the ones that specifically ignore the most vital aspect of our faith, which is the spiritual experience. As well as the part that doesn't encourage discussion and thought based upon the Bible, but upon traditions from the past"

"The Spiritual Experience", which if I remember correctly you went to a good degree to disagree with, and indeed "make fun of", if not "mock". So I hardly see why you should have any problem with him saying that.

Which leaves ONE thing. The emphasis on Church Tradition, at times over the Bible. As you believe the Bible to be a manmade work, from your viewpoint there is no reason why the Church Tradition should NOT be emphasised over the Bible, if someone's going to be dumb enough to be a Christian in the first place.

Really, all he said was that there were things about Catholicism which he disagreed with. Which is what I said too.

By the way: sorry.

EDIT: Oops, left in part of my post for the evolution thread.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 05-26-2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:26 PM   #1148
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
1) If you noticed, I didn't start dishing it out until I had gotten a plateful myself. I held back for quite a while... and you know, that's good for me.
Yes, I did notice - good for you! That remark was NOT directed at you, it was a general admonition.

Quote:
2) Tolkien writes a good story. That is why I encourage and recommend the books. The bible isn't as much fun to read as LotR, IMO. So, I don't recommend that book.
Well, I certainly don't expect you to recommend the Bible - why should you? But can you understand what I'm saying? That to someone that DOES like the Bible and how it has changed their life, it is UNDERSTANDABLE and KIND for them to want to share it, just like you want to share Tolkien.

Quote:
3) agreed... many seem to find it a personal goal to convert as many people as possible. eek! Always the conversation turns to: let me tell you what Jesus has done for me in my life. *tries to avoid evangelical christians*
But for me, it's not a personal goal! It's just a natural thing for me to share something that has been really wonderful for me. I don't talk about God on the non-religious threads at all. I'm like Lief, I just talk about God when people bring it up and want to talk about it.

Quote:
4) I'm assuming that you do not know the process of fossilization and that is why you made that post. *sigh* Although it is tempting to post the process here, I will let anyone interested, or who doesn't know look it up on the interenet.
I do not know what Christian-creationist centered books or magazines you get your information out of, but any real science book will tell you that fossil records indicate that evolution did in fact take place. Not all animals can be fossilized, however shelled animals are great examples. Look them up.
*sigh back at you * The fossil records don't prove that MACRO evolution took place, which is the part I object to. And what "evolutionist-centered books or magazines" do you get YOUR info from? Please don't assume that ALL intelligent scientists believe in the theory of evolution. There are many intelligent scientists that have an unbiased belief that creation by intelligent design is the model that fits the observable data better.

Quote:
5) Sorry... I didn't realize. I'll leave then. This will be my last post here.
You don't need to leave if you don't want to, I like you and your questions. I was just pointing out the history and trend of the thread.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 05-26-2003, 06:30 PM   #1149
Rían

Whoops, forgot to finish commenting!

Quote:
(5)Secondly, the term you are looking for is "Punctuated Equilibrium."

(6)Thirdly, I agree with you that the fossil record of Evolution is not fact, or law - it is theory, however small scale evolution is definately fact.
(5) Thanks! Just couldn't think of it right off the top of my (tired) head...

(6) And I agree with you

Old 05-26-2003, 06:47 PM   #1150
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
1) Most religions distort the bible because no one has any real sense of who wrote it. All it is a political tool to control people. It's not as extreme as what is preached by some of the Islamic extremist clerics and the Qu'ran - but in some cases it gets pretty close. That'll give you something to disagree with.

2) Of course not everyone is going to be going on a recruitment mission. But the baptists in the midwest that I have met were always dictating what other should do - even outside their religion. The local high school couldn't even have anything on wednesday's because it interfered with something about wednesday with Baptists.

3) I mean that people aren't pressured to join Catholic Church even when they enter a church or are invited by a friend - like I have been when I have visited other christian churches. I have had personal experience with this. I went to a Lutheran Church and got a lecture from people there about how Catholics are wrong about everything. I went to a Pentecostal Church to spend time with a friend and see their easter celebration - but in the end got a recruitment speech.

4) Actually that's where peope are wrong about Catholics. They don't just blindly follow the pope. The pope is the head of the church - but with out disagreement - the church would never change. It used to be that nuns always had to wear habits and couldn't wear normal clothes. Now they can wear normal clothes whenever they want. Catholics also use birth control - contrary to the many snide remarks while I was in the midwest regarding large catholic families.
1) Disagree.

2) Ah, but you said:
Quote:
Originally posted by JerseyDevil (WHOSE HOCKEY TEAM WON
Baptist, Lutheran, Pentecostal - so many are there just to judge people and recruit people
The two statements seen to me to be irreconcilable.

3) Twats. Wasn't it Pope John Paul who said that we should stop emphasising the differences between Catholicism and Protestantism, and start emphasising the similarities? (the following is applicable to Catholics v. Protestants, not JD) As I've said before, I don't think it matters what denomination you belong to; all the denominations are churches of Christ. Some are right for different people, and I don't presume to think that everything I believe is correct, just because I believe. Although in my life I have seen too much to disbelieve the existence of God, and I take on faith that the Bible is His Word, for reasons well stated by Rian; but pretty much everything else I have begun questioning, based on what I hold to be "absolute", namely God and the Bible. And now I'm rambling, and boring everyone; I'll stop now.

4) Actually, that's where you're wrong about Protestants.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 05-26-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:49 PM   #1151
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

*leaving*
I might as well leave this topic too if runiel is...

its basically turned into "christians pat eachother on the back" topic and also bashing and praising catholocism (why its bad, why its good). I personally could care less about all this.

If all this topic is is a bunch of christians, I am definitely leaving this topic. this topic is for all religions, not just christianity.

it is very irritating that so many people here think that their religion is so superior, when it is not, and that their way of doing things is best. I am sick and tired of all this "crap" (quoting runiel so cant get mad at me for using that word) about embracing jesus and god or whatever. I am perfectly fine and I certainly do not want any of you to "pray for me." I am not enternally damned as there is no hell anyway.

You all make it sound that Christianity is the ONLY way, and if not that the one that makes the most sense and that all other religions are wrong. Christianity is not a cut above the rest, and
I'd like to hear from some jews, muslims, or any other religion.

ALL we are hearing IS THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Nothing is being accomplished by this topic. Of course athiests will not change their opinions and our eyes just glaze over the quotes from the bible. Christians will also not change their beliefs and continue to just say the same things over again.

Seriously not trying to offend anyone, but I am sick of this topic. Everyone should just continue to believe what they believe.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #1152
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
[B]...If all this topic is is a bunch of christians, I am definitely leaving this topic. this topic is for all religions, not just christianity....[B]
As far as I'm concerned, I'm answering questions that people ask me, and commenting on posts that interest me. When people stop asking questions, then the thread will stop, it's that simple. If you're not interested, then that's fine, but lots of people are interested, based on the size of the thread.

Any person of any religious belief (or of no belief at all ) is welcome to post anything; I, however, will answer questions and comments based on what I, personally, believe to be true, just like you do.

Old 05-26-2003, 07:03 PM   #1153
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
(I knew I would get Sheeana in when I posted this! )
My responses are in the evolution thread.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:05 PM   #1154
Rían

Quote:
My responses are in the evolution thread.
Thanks - I just saw it, but gotta get off now - I've spent several hours already trying to catch up from being away this weekend!

I wonder how long the evolution thread will go this time?

Old 05-26-2003, 07:08 PM   #1155
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
1) its basically turned into "christians pat eachother on the back" topic and also bashing and praising catholocism (why its bad, why its good). I personally could care less about all this.

If all this topic is is a bunch of christians, I am definitely leaving this topic. 2) this topic is for all religions, not just christianity.

3) it is very irritating that so many people here think that their religion is so superior, when it is not, and that their way of doing things is best. I am sick and tired of all this "crap" (quoting runiel so cant get mad at me for using that word) about embracing jesus and god or whatever. I am perfectly fine and I certainly do not want any of you to "pray for me." I am not enternally damned as 4) there is no hell anyway.

You all make it sound that Christianity is the ONLY way, and if not that the one that makes the most sense and that all other religions are wrong. 5) Christianity is not a cut above the rest, and I'd like to hear from some jews, muslims, or any other religion.

6) ALL we are hearing IS THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

7) Nothing is being accomplished by this topic. Of course athiests will not change their opinions and our eyes just glaze over the quotes from the bible. Christians will also not change their beliefs and continue to just say the same things over again.

Seriously not trying to offend anyone, but I am sick of this topic. Everyone should just continue to believe what they believe.
1) Balderdash. There's been plenty of Christian-bashing, which I've noticed most (note: most) of you atheists don't mind participating in.
2) The thread starter disagrees. Why does her opinion not matter?
3) Atheists think that their religion is superior. Or rather, that the people who follow it are. They are people who have advanced beyond needing the crutch of theism, or people who don't just lie to themselves to make themselves feel better, or peopel who don't blindly follow someone with no reason whatsoever, except the occasional idiotic "good feeling".
You know, no one TRULY thinks all beliefs are equal. Indeed, even "poly-truth" EG, by espousing a belief that there are many truths, denies or excludes the possibility of a single, or even dual truth, and (indirectly) labels those who believe in a single truth as elitists; indeed you yourself do the same thing.
4) That is your opinion, not something you can prove.
5) Alas! I'm fairly sure there are no Muslims on here.
Also, I feel it's not fair in the least to blame Christians, because those of other religions don't post here.
6) Ridiculously false. I don't think there's EVER been a Catholic discussion here before.
7) How about debate? How many here actually thought they would "convert" others to their beliefs? I thought the whole purpose of this thread was for DEBATE. It is not the proselytisation thread. I doubt anyone here seriously thought they were going to convert (or "bring out of primitive superstition", as the case may be ) ANYBODY. The purpose, as specified by the "author" of the thread, was for vigorous DEBATE, not gaining converts (which does NOT give us another room in heaven, despite popular belief. :P)
I think that people are just overwhelmed by their anti-Christianity (started by the well-meaning but misguided posts a few pages back, by overly enthusiastic Christian), and don't wish to associate with Christianity anymore. Heck, even to Ruinel, I'm just the virgin she can point and laugh at.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-26-2003, 07:17 PM   #1156
jerseydevil

Quote:

2) Ah, but you said:
The two statements seen to me to be irreconcilable.
I'd hate to argue with someone who even includes..."(WHOSE HOCKEY TEAM WON" when he quotes me. But I will.

Quote:
Originally posted by JerseyDevil (WHOSE HOCKEY TEAM WON
Baptist, Lutheran, Pentecostal - so many are there just to judge people and recruit people
Sorry but you left out the key words there - so many - it does NOT mean everyone. You emphasised the wrong word there.

Quote:

3) Twats. Wasn't it Pope John Paul who said that we should stop emphasising the differences between Catholicism and Protestantism, and start emphasising the similarities? (the following is applicable to Catholics v. Protestants, not JD) As I've said before, I don't think it matters what denomination you belong to; all the denominations are churches of Christ. Some are right for different people, and I don't presume to think that everything I believe is correct, just because I believe.
But too many people do only criticise others for their beliefs or lack thereof. Like I said - I don't need anyone to pray for my soul or anything. Acceptance of others beliefs would be the TRUE Christian thing to do - instead of giving speeched about people who don't follw a certain belief are going to hell.
Quote:

Although in my life I have seen too much to disbelieve the existence of God, and I take on faith that the Bible is His Word, for reasons well stated by Rian; but pretty much everything else I have begun questioning, based on what I hold to be "absolute", namely God and the Bible.
I've experienced too much that has made me feel that god is a concept by which we measure our pain (to take a line from John Lennon). People believe the way they do because that is how they were raised.
Quote:

4) Actually, that's where you're wrong about Protestants.
Where did I say protestants or even ALL protestants?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-26-2003, 07:29 PM   #1157
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
1) Balderdash. There's been plenty of Christian-bashing, which I've noticed most (note: most) of you atheists don't mind participating in.
2) The thread starter disagrees. Why does her opinion not matter?
3) Atheists think that their religion is superior. Or rather, that the people who follow it are. They are people who have advanced beyond needing the crutch of theism, or people who don't just lie to themselves to make themselves feel better, or peopel who don't blindly follow someone with no reason whatsoever, except the occasional idiotic "good feeling".
You know, no one TRULY thinks all beliefs are equal. Indeed, even "poly-truth" EG, by espousing a belief that there are many truths, denies or excludes the possibility of a single, or even dual truth, and (indirectly) labels those who believe in a single truth as elitists; indeed you yourself do the same thing.
Also, I feel it's not fair in the least to blame Christians, because those of other religions don't post here.
6) Ridiculously false. I don't think there's EVER been a Catholic discussion here before.
7) How about debate? How many here actually thought they would "convert" others to their beliefs? I thought the whole purpose of this thread was for DEBATE. It is not the proselytisation thread. I doubt anyone here seriously thought they were going to convert (or "bring out of primitive superstition", as the case may be ) ANYBODY. The purpose, as specified by the "author" of the thread, was for vigorous DEBATE, not gaining converts (which does NOT give us another room in heaven, despite popular belief. :P)
I think that people are just overwhelmed by their anti-Christianity (started by the well-meaning but misguided posts a few pages back, by overly enthusiastic Christian), and don't wish to associate with Christianity anymore. Heck, even to Ruinel, I'm just the virgin she can point and laugh at.
1) I am NOT bashing Christianity..... much. Ok... some, I'll stop.
2) her opinion matters to me. Which is why I was originally going to leave the thread. I mistook what she said and it has been pointed out to me that she didn't want this to be an all Christian thread. Ok then.
3) Atheism is not a religion... it is a belief that there is no god(s). It is true that we do not need to believe in a deity in order to have a fulfilling life. However, I do not think of myself as more advanced than anyone else.
4) Hobbit was raised a Jew. That religion does not have a hell. Just because yours does doesn't make it so.
5) Isn't that a shame. *would like some Muslims to post here*
6) ..... n/a
7) I am NOT anti-Christian. I have many Christian friends and I have no problem with them practicing their beliefs as long as they do not put it in my face. People who do, I simply ignore and turn away from.
Furthermore, I do not point my finger at you and laugh. I've made a few small jokes about it with you, but if I offended you, I humbly ask your forgiveness. I like conversing with you and would be very sad to think that I have in some way hurt you.

Hobbit: Do not leave on my account. I've actually decided to stay and post, but I'm going to be more choosy as to what I post a reply to.

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-26-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:30 PM   #1158
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Gwaimir, RÃ*an said that any religion could be discussed in this thread. However, the simple fact is that there isn't anyone who wants to discuss religion much, except those that are Atheist or Christian. None that I have seen as yet, anyway.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:37 PM   #1159
jerseydevil

Quote:
I'm glad you put most - because I try not to bash others beliefs- I don't really care what others believe. What bothers me is when people say "oh - I'll pray for you".

NOTE: Caring as in - their beleifs don't cause me to judge them or affect how I look at them as a person.
Quote:

I don't think it's superior - but I don't see anything to support a belief in a god. If I said I believed in Zeus and Aphrodite and the greek gods you'd think I was mad. What's really the difference? One set of gods were replaced by a single god- but it's all the same. It's just man attempting to explain things we don't understand yet.
Quote:

And heaven, hell and god is just opinion too and no one can prove or disprove.
Quote:

I don't think so either- I wish there were though.
Quote:

I post - but I've refrained from posting - because the same stuff has been stated over and over agian. I guess because I've been her a while - there have been so many religious threads. I was also burnt out from heavy debating because of the Iraq thread. I wanted to have some fun with the Entmoot Most Wanted, The Jona-thong Website, the Entmoot Rebellion and the MudWrestling Competition. It's much more relaxing than debating and debating over such heated discussions all the time. But I think for the tiem being I've had my rest.
Quote:

I'm not trying to convert anyone - but if someone tells me that they'll pray for my soul - I'll be pissed. I just want my opinions respected as everyone else wants their opinions respected. Many Christians do think on this board that a person who doesn't believe in god needs to be pitied or something. I'm not going to hell - I've never done anything wrong. So if there is a god, it shouldn't require devine devotion - it should only require people to be the best person they can be - that is all. People should just be kind to one another and forget the religious crap and everything in between. Just be nice to your fellow man.
Quote:

I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at here. I'm not at all anti-Christianity. Because I went to Catholic school all my life and was raised catholic - I still associate with the catholic religion and it annoys me when people criticise it - even if I don't believe in a god.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-26-2003 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:54 PM   #1160
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
1) Sorry but you left out the key words there - so many - it does NOT mean everyone. You emphasised the wrong word there.

2) But too many people do only criticise others for their beliefs or lack thereof. Like I said - I don't need anyone to pray for my soul or anything. 3) Acceptance of others beliefs would be the TRUE Christian thing to do - instead of giving speeched about people who don't follw a certain belief are going to hell.

4) Where did I say protestants or even ALL protestants?
1) Aha. I took that to mean "so many DENOMINATIONS". Sorry.
2) Most definitely agree with this.
3) Not necessarily: "Go ye therefore into the world, and preach the gospel to all the nations." Though I think St. Francis of Assissi got it well when he said "Use words if necessary."

You said: "Catholics don't recruit - anyone is welcome to go to the church without feeling any pressure whatsoever to "join" . So many of the other Christian religions are almost like cults and blindly follow what they are taught without question."

As the "other" was after you were talking about Catholics, I took it that you meant Protestant denominations.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle