Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:00 PM   #1141
inked
Elf Lord

brownjenkins,

You keep saying there is no absolute but you clearly judge societal actions by a standard which you do treat as absolute: your assessment of the relative benefit of the goals of the society. Hitler and his cronies had goals for Germany, but you say those were "bad"; Britain, France, and Spain had goals for North America; Amerindians had goals as well. You are clearly applying your standard to different cultures and judging them and ranking them. WHY is what brownjenkins says correct, as say opposed to inked or Hitler or Victoria or Chief X ?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #1142
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
"self-defense" is completely relative... so, effectively, "it is okay to kill if in self-defense" is also relative... there is no absolute
I think most everyone reads it as Thou shall not Murder, but you make a good point.

I agree about the intergration of NA's to a point. Intergration, in truth was used to wipe them of their hertiage and beliefs (for a more docile and "easier-managed" NA).

Note: A large part of my family is Apache (only 2 generaions from FBI)

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
Old 01-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #1143
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
brownjenkins,

You keep saying there is no absolute but you clearly judge societal actions by a standard which you do treat as absolute: your assessment of the relative benefit of the goals of the society. Hitler and his cronies had goals for Germany, but you say those were "bad"; Britain, France, and Spain had goals for North America; Amerindians had goals as well. You are clearly applying your standard to different cultures and judging them and ranking them. WHY is what brownjenkins says correct, as say opposed to inked or Hitler or Victoria or Chief X ?
i'm observing what i see in the world and theorizing based upon it, not "judging"... unlike those who insist upon "absolutes", i am open to discussion... i've asked a few times for alternative explanations to why people act as they do... i.e. name some of these "absolutes"... but have yet to be given an example

in the end it's about survival... not a question of good or bad or absolutes... to me, the proof of what was "bad" (which i put in quotes because it is a relative term) is what has not survived the test of time... autocracy, prejudice, genocide, intolerance... while they certainly still exist today, they are no where near as pervasive as they once were... and i think as time goes by they will be even less so

why?

because, ultimately, those kind of practices are self-defeating to those who practice them... especially as the world progresses to become more of a single society due to changes in travel and communication

is this absolute? maybe, maybe not... i do not know enough about life, the universe and everything to claim that i'm absolutely correct on any given point... do you?

if you look back a few pages, you may remember that i said that even if there are absolutes in this universe, we have no way of knowing what they are... so, once again, it comes down to the individual and the society he/she lives in

Last edited by brownjenkins : 01-28-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #1144
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Browns, thanks again for your patience in staying in the chair so long while I got my questions together. I'd like to change tack a bit and go back to one of the very first subjects I questioned you on, and see if I can get a more detailed answer, then I think I'll be just about done with my questions (finally!)

Can you tell me (in more than one sentence - you tend to be a bit terse!) what things really touch your heart, both in a good way and a bad/sad way? What do you feel when you look up at the stars at night, or come unexpectedly upon a lovely flower, or wake up at night and see your wife asleep next to your side, or go down the hall and watch your kids asleep? What do you feel when your kids come home and tell you about what a bully did to them? What does the scent of your wife's hair do to you? What sports teams do you root for, and why? What social injustice do you abhor, if any? What do you wish for the world? Do you ever have a feeling in your heart that something beautiful is gone from this world? Do you ever have a feeling in your heart, when winter is loosening its grip on the world and the first signs of spring are in the air and on the trees, that something beautiful is coming?

What makes you, you?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #1145
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

For some reason...I find this amusing....Carry on though!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:54 PM   #1146
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

can i answer, Ri?
what makes me?
a complex arrangement of amino acids, and deoxyribonucleic acid
in addition to the basic four, Nitrogen, Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen
Old 01-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #1147
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

No, Chrys, that's not "you" ... I don't enjoy talking with "a complex arrangement of amino acids, and deoxyribonucleic acid in addition to the basic four, Nitrogen, Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen"; I enjoy talking with YOU

Liz - You paint pictures like you do, and you don't understand what I'm saying?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-29-2005, 04:34 PM   #1148
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
you tend to be a bit terse!
am not!

Quote:
what things really touch your heart, both in a good way and a bad/sad way?
stories

Quote:
What do you feel when you look up at the stars at night,
atm, cold

Quote:
or come unexpectedly upon a lovely flower,
in january!?!?

Quote:
or wake up at night and see your wife asleep next to your side,
will she wake up if i grab the blanket

Quote:
or go down the hall and watch your kids asleep?
finally!!!

Quote:
What do you feel when your kids come home and tell you about what a bully did to them?
strangely enough... this has not happened to any of them yet

Quote:
What does the scent of your wife's hair do to you?
can't get into that, pg-13 thing

Quote:
What sports teams do you root for, and why?
sox, pats, celtics, bruins... 'cause i live near boston

Quote:
What social injustice do you abhor, if any?
factionalizing.... whether by race, nationality or religion... people are people with the same abilities to be good, bad or indifferent, irregardless of their situation

Quote:
What do you wish for the world?
for people to eventually realize that we are all in this together and to tolerate each other's differences unless they directly effect us in a negative way

Quote:
Do you ever have a feeling in your heart that something beautiful is gone from this world?
no, when all is said and done... i think we will slowly continue to get closer and closer to what i mentioned above... irregardless of setbacks along the way

Quote:
Do you ever have a feeling in your heart, when winter is loosening its grip on the world and the first signs of spring are in the air and on the trees, that something beautiful is coming?
well, my birthday is at the end of February... so it works out that way sometimes

Quote:
What makes you, you?
my social security number

my lifetime of experiences... the people i've known, will know and the places i've been and will be... whether "free will" is a real thing or not... we are all very much a product of our environment
Old 01-30-2005, 03:17 AM   #1149
Rían

Tom, do you like me?

(don't worry; I mean as a friend )

Last edited by Rían : 01-30-2005 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #1150
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Ooh! I want to answer too!

Quote:
What makes you, you?
It all started with my parents... we don't need to go there, but suffice to say that they gave me genes and the beginning of a personality.

Then I grew up in my fair hometown, and had many interesting experiences, saw some beautiful sights, tried sports and music, read a lot of books, and had a lot of conversations. I grew and changed as a person, and hopefully matured. I am the sum of my opinions, thoughts, experiences, and dreams.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #1151
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Rian..for me.....answering such personal questions about my inner emotions, in detail, in public, just feels very adolescent, gushy, and schmaltzy. I might have effusived a good blather in my younger days.....but to open up about private (and changing) personal perceptions would feel quite dorky and embarrassing...for me now. I understand you are merely trying to understand what makes people tick, but it just feels very "uncool" to be so open and descriptive in a public forum. I am guarded about my inner self....and find that most men are also not very open about their joys, fears, etc either. I like to let my art speak for me! That is all!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:10 AM   #1152
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Dorky! You're the one who just said "inner self".

Well, my post doesn't touch on my "inner self" at all, but there it is. It still describes what I think people are made of anyway, in addition to the complex amino-acid chains.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #1153
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

You're right..."inner self"= dorky.....
Old 01-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #1154
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
... irregardless
That's not even a word!!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:37 AM   #1155
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Tom, do you like me?

(don't worry; I mean as a friend )
of course
Old 01-31-2005, 02:18 PM   #1156
Rían

at the risk of bringing down Lizra's wrath , why do you like me? (this is a non-"gushy" question, btw, Lizra - you completely misunderstand me)

I'll tell you what I like about you first - I like your subtle sense of humor, your compassion for others, your friendliness, and your sense of honor and fairness.

Old 01-31-2005, 03:37 PM   #1157
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
at the risk of bringing down Lizra's wrath , why do you like me? (this is a non-"gushy" question, btw, Lizra - you completely misunderstand me)
oh, let me count the ways...

/schmaltzy on

your a nice thoughful person who, like me, doesn't mind talking for hours on end about the kind of stuff we talk about here... and whether you agree or not, you seem to give everyone a fair listen, which is all someone can ask for

a friend

*is all choked up*

/schmaltzy off

but i still reserve the right to completely disagree with you from time to time
Old 01-31-2005, 03:39 PM   #1158
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
That's not even a word!!
in the words of humpty dumpty...

Quote:
When I use a word, ... it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:45 PM   #1159
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
I don't understand you R! (I thought you asked the "What makes you happy" bit because of some book you read.) I understand people who give "terse" answers though!

Last edited by Lizra : 01-31-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:10 PM   #1160
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Heh, this is getting interesting. Remind me never to get into the hot seat... I think if I'm in a particularly strange mood during a post, I might just scare some of you people. Though... I suppose it could be interesting...

I can't say anything at the moment which isn't going to get into some weird philosophy (just got out of class... am presently doubting everything and nothing).

And irregardless might not be a word, but it's in the dictionary! The entry says that it's not a real word, though. But what is a real word? If it's used... if it's meaning can be understood... how can it not be real?

Sorry.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 01-31-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Closed Thread