Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 09:44 PM   #1121
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

wahine posts:

34 then? depending on when your birthday is it could be 33. You an Coney are the only fellow older than I.

You live in Japan? Where, and what do you do? (If you don't mind my asking). I know one word in Japanese. Don't know how to spell it, or what it means "Kokujin" is what it sounds like. My sis-in-law said that about her next door neighbor...I pretended I knew exactly what she was talking about.

Yep. I am the 34. There are a "quite a few" here that top you in age here.

I am "suburbs" of Tokyo. Despite the poor typing HERE at the moot. I am an ESL teacher. But I am not going renew my contract. My enjoyment of teaching was killed while in Saudi. Anyway I will be going back to school to get still another degree.

Kokujin means black person so that's me

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:52 PM   #1122
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Teacher? Almost considered that. ALMOST. I ended up being a yoga instructer. Big stuff right? It's the butt of so many jokes.

Really now? I guess Miyumi is a little racist, neh?

Of course, it may have been because he kept playing the "Heavy bass music that shakes my house" at midnight...

Well, you can get alot of many being a translator there. The Japanese people will major in english and still fruck stuff up, so being as your American (British?) you can straighten them out.

I saw a pocket knife made and sold for in Japan, it's warning label said, "Please keep out of children". !
Old 02-10-2003, 09:59 PM   #1123
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I don't translate. I ATTEMPT to teach them the basic skills, but the school I work for for does not place a lot of importance on learning. It's a school for kids to make connections.

Can one make a decent living as a Yoga instructor?

I am from the USA.

Some of the English on the shirts and products here are hilarious

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 02-10-2003 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:11 PM   #1124
wahine

One can make a fairly decent living on the fact that nearly every tourists goes at least once becuase they have the silly notion it'll be an adventure, and that I have many regulars, and some people who come to EVERY class they can make.

"Making connections" is about what school in the states equals too. Sad really, I always liked learning.

A hilarious sight full of things from Japan, China, and Korea.. oh wait...is that allowed- putting out a website?

If you don't see this - pm me and I'll relay it to you

engrish.com
Old 02-10-2003, 10:25 PM   #1125
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I gotta run in a bit but I check it later.

Thanks

'Dern Helm"

Old 02-10-2003, 10:41 PM   #1126
wahine

Alright- Night, and it really IS hilarious. Especially the signs... <~ evil grin
Old 02-10-2003, 11:13 PM   #1127
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

That's cool AE, I almost went over to Japan for a year to teach, but I decided to go to grad school instead. The only word I know in Japanese is "Risu" (if I spelled it right), it means Squirrel One of my roommates last year was from Japan, and one day we were walking to the metro in DC and saw squirrels and he started saying that word and I was like, wtf are you talking about, lol

Now that word is forever stuck in my memory
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 02-11-2003, 01:23 AM   #1128
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I took Japanese AND Spanish from first until fifth grade, and my Japanese teacher was AWFUL. I really like the language, and the way it sounds, but I don't remember anything from those five years. Honestly....kinda pathetic....I'm in eleventh grade now, and the only word I remember is "Ringo," (or something like), meaning "apple" if I'm not mistaken. Although I may be.

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 02-11-2003, 08:07 PM   #1129
wahine

What I find most interesting is the etiquette of the language.

Take the phrase "How are you?"

There are two main catergories of speech in which you can say this: Formal or Informal. By choosing one or the other "How are you?" is going to sound two different ways. But the possibilities lengthen.

You speak a certain way (w/ one of those catergories) if your a male. Then THAT changes if your speaking to an older male.

Or your a male speaking to a younger male.
Or your a male speaking to an older female.
Or your a male speaking to a younger female.

The possibilities for that phrase are numerous. AND you always have dialect, but I am to understand that every Japanese person speaks regional/ and standard Japanese.

It confuzzles me. Of course, I am also to understand they don't mind if foreigners get things wrong, who would think they wouldn't?

They also don't have "L"'s. Weirdness, but the "R"'s don't sound like "R"'s either. Gerck...
Old 02-11-2003, 08:21 PM   #1130
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

My mom speaks some Mandarin, which is fun when we go out for chinese food. Mmm. Chinese food... *runs off to eat*
Old 02-11-2003, 11:22 PM   #1131
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

There is a thread around here for languages. However, this is the 'picture of me' thread. *hint hint*

Psalm 107:31
Old 02-12-2003, 01:10 AM   #1132
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
That's cool AE, I almost went over to Japan for a year to teach, but I decided to go to grad school instead. The only word I know in Japanese is "Risu" (if I spelled it right), it means Squirrel One of my roommates last year was from Japan, and one day we were walking to the metro in DC and saw squirrels and he started saying that word and I was like, wtf are you talking about, lol

Now that word is forever stuck in my memory

What did you study in Grad?

'Dern Helm"

Old 02-12-2003, 09:04 PM   #1133
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
What did you study in Grad?
My Undergrad degree is in History, so for grad school I went for History & International Affairs. I was going for 2 Masters. I've since taken the past two semester off from school as it was kicking my butt, but I am half-way done with both Masters. Not sure when I am going to finish getting them though, because I have a great job right now
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 02-14-2003, 07:06 PM   #1134
wahine

You have goals I see. *mock scoff* Goals? Who needs them!?

You enjoying school, when you aren't taking off?

I've been thinking of going back and getting psychology or criminology degree. No particular reason, just sounds fun. Is that Shallow? *Yes, I do spell "shallow" with a capital S*
Old 02-14-2003, 11:27 PM   #1135
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

This is the picture thread, not the 'university'/'what do you want to be when you grow up' threads. Please discuss your dreams and aspirations there.

Psalm 107:31
Old 02-14-2003, 11:35 PM   #1136
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
This is the picture thread, not the 'university'/'what do you want to be when you grow up' threads. Please discuss your dreams and aspirations there.
Well we had to discuss them somewhere because you keep closing the threads that we were posting that stuff in

--Linaewen
Old 02-14-2003, 11:49 PM   #1137
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
They do seem to be having a bit of trouble staying on-topic, don't they?

Wait..now I'M off-topic!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-14-2003, 11:50 PM   #1138
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
They do seem to be having a bit of trouble staying on-topic, don't they?

Wait..now I'M off-topic!
/me kicks Gwaimir in the shins for being off topic!

--Linaewen
Old 02-15-2003, 12:24 AM   #1139
wahine

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
/me kicks Gwaimir in the shins for being off topic!
THATS OFF TOPIC!!! *kicks Dunedain!*

*beatific smile at Khamul* *bats 'lashes* *the picture of innocence*
Old 02-19-2003, 11:30 PM   #1140
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Haven't seen a pic of either SGH or Khamûl yet...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Closed Thread