Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:50 PM   #1041
Orli17
Elven Warrior

how exactly will you know WHO you are when you are born again? And how will you know if you ARE born again? i'm confused by that already.

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10 Things You'll Find in Legolas' Backpack - Elvensmiths & Co.

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
7. Enya’s "the Memory of Trees" CD
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
3. shampoo and conditioner
2. his picture
1. 101 Ways to Become the Prettiest Thing in Middle Earth

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Old 04-13-2004, 12:35 AM   #1042
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
when i say "we'll never know", i mean about the existence of god, or whether or not a certain scripture is or isn't the word of this god... i'm completely open as far as ideas go
So am I - and I think Christianity is the most logical. You have a different opinion

Quote:
i look at ideas from all kinds of religious beliefs, not just one or a few... i see which seem to make sense (i.e. treating those as you would be treated) and which don't seem to not make sense (i.e. insisting that a preacher must remain celibate)... i can pick and choose and am not tied to any one issue due to scripture
Oh, I know I"m not gonna be real clear here because I'm tired, but I'll give it a first cut ...

The Bible hangs together as a whole. I think there are 3 ways to look at it - after examination and thought, you either (1) believe it to be God's revelation to mankind, or (2) don't believe it to be God's revelation to mankind, or (3) believe parts of it to God's revelation to mankind. But really, #3 has the same result as #2 - basically, you just do what YOU think is right, based upon no authority but YOURSELF.

Now if you believed #1, you would ALSO do what YOU think is right, which basically is probably 95% of what is in the Bible, and because you have thought about the issue, you can trust that a higher authority/wisdom is correct in those FEW areas that you don't quite agree with whole-heartedly. And when you do this with one thing, and see that it WAS indeed right, it is logical to continue to do so. It's my "loving professor" analogy - it is both logical and reasonable to take a few things "on trust" from a professor that has always been right before and has always demonstrated kindness and care for you. It's the same way with God - it is MORE logical, based on past experience and thought, in those FEW areas where you might not understand, to take things "on trust", IMO.

Now if more than about 5% of Christianity went against my heart and mind, then I would consider changing my opinion about it. But it has proven itself more solid as I go along - a more accurate reflection of what I see around me, and it stands up to logical analysis, too.

Quote:
you say: "use your senses, use your brain, give it some time, and make a decision about your beliefs, then ACT on your beliefs for what you believe to be right and good. Make a difference with your life!"

to which i say... that's what i do, i just don't put the god part behind it
You go with what you think is right, brownie! And let's keep up the good discussions! I like you

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:46 AM   #1043
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
oh damn i missed "attack the agnostics" day.
I was NOT attacking agnostics, IRex I was stating a problem that I have with some typical agnostic opinions, which I would like to discuss with anyone that wants to. Brownie apparently did not take offense - I wish you wouldn't, either. You've brought up some problems you have with the Christian viewpoint, why can't I bring up some problems I have with the agnostic viewpoint? I'm arguing with the viewpoint, NOT attacking the person. I try to not take offense when you use insulting terms about Christians, which you often have - I try to deal with the underlying point. Please re-read my posts and think about the points and then dive in with your thoughts

Quote:
good thing bj caught up to that "agnostics are all cop outs" statement before I did let me tell you...
And brownie dealt with it by discussing it.

And if you're going to use quotation marks when referring to my post, then please quote me correctly - I did NOT say "agnostics are all cop outs".

I'll wait until tomorrow to deal with the rest of your post - hopefully you'll recall our friendship and realize that I was NOT attacking you. However, I see difficulties with your position, which is an entirely different thing, and I'm open to discussing it.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-13-2004, 01:06 AM   #1044
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
So for me i remain agnostic because what i LEARN about the world and about humanity's approach to religion tells me theres a ceiling in religion that can be quite easily observed when you stand back from it. But yet I wouldnt be surprised if there was something to it as well. I just dont think its the super specific ideas and rules of any one SPECIFIC religion really.
When looking at all religions from outside of them, I can easily see it would be difficult to pick one as accurate. I frankly don't know how I'd do it.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:40 AM   #1045
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Okay, I was asked by someone the otherday a question, which I found extreamly interesting and which to this day I haven't been able to answer - namely because of my lack of knowledge towards the Bible. But say that there was a Christian God, and Heaven and Hell were real and the Bible was real. All the images of a perfect Christian belief, were real. What would happen when someone like myself, who follows another religion, dies? Would I go to Heaven? Or just plunge into the firery depths of Hell? This guy never really seemed to be able to grasp that I wasn't scared or anything. Could any of you provide a answer?
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 04-13-2004, 06:47 AM   #1046
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
well when i say "academic" i dont necessarily mean the strictly ivory tower dictations of ivy league liberal minds. I mean a more general approach to learning all I can about various religions. I have more books then I can count on christianity and all religions. And many are penned by devout christians (Id have to say the bible is hardly anti christian propoganda and I got that somewhere here...).

Very few things fascinate me more then trying to understand grand concepts like religion. So Ive learned as much as I can. And whether Im looking at zoroastrianism or zulu beauty spirits or the very hight of layered formal christian dogma it all seems to come down to how the HUMAN mind works. thats the fundamental constant. Not the divine. So for me i remain agnostic because what i LEARN about the world and about humanity's approach to religion tells me theres a ceiling in religion that can be quite easily observed when you stand back from it. But yet I wouldnt be surprised if there was something to it as well. I just dont think its the super specific ideas and rules of any one SPECIFIC religion really.
(OK, AMC has been playing 'Wrath of Khan' several times in the past week!):

So... just as Kirk had never faced his 'no win' situation, YOU have not really faced the 'quest for ultimate spiritual truth' situation?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:00 AM   #1047
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
It's my "loving professor" analogy - it is both logical and reasonable to take a few things "on trust" from a professor that has always been right before and has always demonstrated kindness and care for you. It's the same way with God - it is MORE logical, based on past experience and thought, in those FEW areas where you might not understand, to take things "on trust", IMO.
i do see your pov... but in mine, there is no need to take anything "on trust"... i find that if one thinks about them enough, all moral questions can be answered in the here and now, without divine inspiration

Quote:
You go with what you think is right, brownie! And let's keep up the good discussions! I like you
i like you too
Old 04-13-2004, 09:01 AM   #1048
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
So... just as Kirk had never faced his 'no win' situation, YOU have not really faced the 'quest for ultimate spiritual truth' situation?
i won't speak for IR, but i believe that i have, and i have found it within myself

btw, i watched that the other night too
Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 PM   #1049
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
Okay, I was asked by someone the otherday a question, which I found extreamly interesting and which to this day I haven't been able to answer - namely because of my lack of knowledge towards the Bible. But say that there was a Christian God, and Heaven and Hell were real and the Bible was real. All the images of a perfect Christian belief, were real. What would happen when someone like myself, who follows another religion, dies? Would I go to Heaven? Or just plunge into the firery depths of Hell? This guy never really seemed to be able to grasp that I wasn't scared or anything. Could any of you provide a answer?
You're asking the queen of long boring posts if she has an answer? (well, you said "any of you", and that includes me!)

I've posted some answers on this topic before, so I dredged up a few. (do a search with my name, and "hell" and "choice"). I'll list the links for you. Let me know if you still have questions after reading them I hope it helps. I believe it to be the Biblically-supported Christian position on the topic, to the best of my understanding.

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve

ref post

Old 04-13-2004, 12:53 PM   #1050
Valandil

Quote:
I think that's completely ON the subject. Yes, I'll be happy to explain it. I can't at the moment, but either late tonight - or more likely, tomorrow morning, I will (you can look for it within 12 hours just about for sure).
Nurvi - sorry... I'm late with this explanation of the term 'born again'... will try to get it up here soon though - and will PM you when I do.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 04-13-2004, 01:23 PM   #1051
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
You're asking the queen of long boring posts if she has an answer? (well, you said "any of you", and that includes me!)

I've posted some answers on this topic before, so I dredged up a few. (do a search with my name, and "hell" and "choice"). I'll list the links for you. Let me know if you still have questions after reading them I hope it helps. I believe it to be the Biblically-supported Christian position on the topic, to the best of my understanding.

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve

ref post
Okay thanks. I've only read a few at the moment. But I'm starting to understand.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 04-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #1052
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
you mean like radically harsh life situations? deaths? sicknesses? stuff like that? or did you have something specific in mind?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 04-13-2004, 01:55 PM   #1053
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
you mean like radically harsh life situations? deaths? sicknesses? stuff like that? or did you have something specific in mind?
maybe he means that you've never had to stand toe to toe with the klingons while the future of the entire federation hangs in balance
Old 04-13-2004, 02:04 PM   #1054
Valandil

Quote:
brownjenkins is close to the mark, since it was partly tongue in cheek. But for the other part (being a bit more serious)... do YOU have your own notions about a Creator, about this creator's level of involvement in his creation, about life after death, about moral absolutes? Or... are these things something you think about at all?

(EDIT: and/or - were you raised with any particular beliefs in those regards... and if so, to what extent do you still adhere to them - or what do you otherwise think of them?)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 04-13-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:16 PM   #1055
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

oh boy... I feel an essay coming on... stand by...

Old 04-13-2004, 03:14 PM   #1056
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

The Corrupting of Insidious Rex

Quote:
do YOU have your own notions about a Creator, about this creator's level of involvement in his creation, about life after death, about moral absolutes? Or... are these things something you think about at all?
A CREATOR: The figurative jury is out. Im basically an evidence guy so the idea of an invisible divine force that we accept by faith alone doesn’t work on me. I do NOT, however, believe like atheists that there IS NO god or creator force. I just believe what I can detect through my senses and/or through mathematics. Everything else is speculation and/or superstition (or perhaps a better way to put it is “unproven”).

This “belief” system does not, however, eliminate me from studying all aspects of humanity’s approach to the divine. I find it most interesting in the extreme. I have a burning need to understand it all. I love to speculate about what the divine could be based on what I observe through history, through studying various religions and through studying the human mind.

And in the end what we have isn’t quite good enough yet. The pot cannot hold itself can it? But perhaps our brains just cant conceptualize the notion that it in fact can

*trippy music *

INVOLVEMENT: Well obviously if Im not yet on the creator band wagon then the involvement bandwagon is out of reach as well. But I can speculate here too!

I find it dubious at best to suppose there is a human like god who created this vast expanse of time and space, speckling it with uncounted trillions of galaxies and yet had OUR miserable rears in mind as his highest most precious pets (or children) and is extremely concerned with exactly what we eat and who marries who and what we do in our bedrooms, etc. That is just patently absurd to me and truly I lump it in there with flat earths and earth centered galaxies and much worse nonsense. But if you begin with the notion that there IS (was?) a creative force originally then Im pretty sure its not anything we could comprehend with our approach to reality so we cant really translate directly the notion of involvement at all. The answer could be yes and no. or neither. Suffice it to say it probably doesn’t matter. It will probably be forever beyond our perception to detect the flavor of involvement of any creator force in the universe. Now this doesn’t mean that there cant be much more advanced entities who have stumbled on ways to effect things in our universe for their own purposes…

*spooky music *

LIFE AFTER DEATH: no idea. Guess we will have to wait and see. You would think this would somehow be measurable though if true. Energy is energy no matter what form it takes. Can life force be measured? I firmly believe everything in the universe is all a part of the same whole if you will. That the universe is one big churning chemical reaction and that we mistake ourselves as wholly independent beings different from anything else when in fact we are made up of the very same things that is in everything else and we will very shortly return to that same churning mass. I take a little comfort in that in fact. I don’t like feeling too special. I like the idea that im part of the same stuff as the rest of the world. As the highest mountains and deepest reaches of the sea. And of every star in the universe. What grand solidarity!! But as to “life” after death I don’t see it in the Christian (or standard religious) sense. I do see it in the strictly physical sense though. My DNA will continue on. My memory will etch itself into the pattern of the universe through others forever. And my atoms will be used over and over and over again in other manifestations of this chemical reaction.

MORAL ABSOLUTES: Well I have my own morals as anybody else would. From my upbringing. From the society I have lived in. from my overt observation and processing of reality (mostly human reality in this case) and from my genes which give me the range of what my behavior will be. Im sure to some people (to many people in fact) some of my morals might seem loathsome. I wont go into any sordid details thanks… But to those same people some of my other morals may seem worthy of high praise. I have no problem sacrificing myself for someone else. So Im truly a mixed bag morally. Sure I believe certain things are “wrong” but I believe everything has a context. So you can kill in this situation but you really shouldn’t kill in this situation. That kind of thing.

Quote:
(EDIT: and/or - were you raised with any particular beliefs in those regards... and if so, to what extent do you still adhere to them - or what do you otherwise think of them?)
I was raised in a middle class suburban household in which my mom was a regular church going protestant and my dad wasn’t. I went to Sunday school and church most of my youth, even went to some church summer camp and things like that (they used to set up the best water fights ever!). But it was more an activity then it was a way of believing to me. I never really got the whole idea of it. The pieces didn’t seem to make sense as a cohesive whole and it seemed like everyone accepted something and never questioned it. So by the time I was about 10 or 11 I was pretty much of the opinion that Christianity didn’t really have anything to offer me. It seemed one part people going through the motions and one part goofy hard core jesus people who were REALLY into it and who put me off with their intensity and their cultishness. They acted as if they were in on some inside joke or secret that I didn’t get. And were trying to push me to understand something quite obvious to them that just didn’t add up for me. At first I thought I was just blind to it. After a while I began to realize they were just seeing something all by themselves and it wasn’t just problems with my senses. So I shrugged and moved on.

Let me conclude by saying I think a church system can be a great thing for human beings living in a communal setting (as we tend to do). But I see the social benefits as the main strengths of course. I wouldn’t mind going to one of those church pancake breakfasts I see on the local church signs one of these days and hanging out with people and chatting but I would worry I would give them the wrong idea. And that theyd torment me about all the god stuff. And I would probably freak them out anyway. So I make my pancakes at home by myself.

Old 04-13-2004, 03:25 PM   #1057
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Okay Rian, thanks again for the info, unfortunatly I've just skimmed through the posts (I have a short attention span, so generally I have to 'skim'). What your saying - and correct me if I'm wrong - is that the choice to go to Heaven or Hell when you die is your own choice and it's not decieded by God. If you have faith in God and if you wish to go to Heaven, then you will get into Heaven. So - from a Christians perspective - since I choose of my own freewill to be Pagan and to follow Paganism, with no belief or faith in the Christian God, I am consciously choosing not to go to Heaven?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:43 PM   #1058
Valandil

I-Rex, thank you very much for taking the time to write such a good, long answer!

It was about as I expected... not meant to be condescending at all, but it's totally in line with other posts of yours that I've read (along with some additional information - which again, wasn't too surprising). Naturally, I disagree with you on some of it, which you probably expect as well. However, I do respect where you're coming from. You'll have to forgive me though if I continue to try to sway you. We Christians have a cussed stubborn-ness about that... maybe one sign that we DO have a changed life! Don't worry, I'll be nice enough about it though... and I'll pray for you too! If there's nothing there to answer, you won't have to worry about it - but if there is, and if my prayers are permitted to have an effect... who knows, maybe you'll change your mind someday.

I guess we may only know about life-after-death (or not know about it) after we die. That'll answer a lot of these other things too... or not! For my part, I would have believed much as you do in my early teens, but became a Christian at 15. There was a mental part... to me, it had to make sense (I think I was neither one of those 'faking it' nor one of those 'goofy/cultish/intense/hard core' types - but I think I've known both kinds). However, the primary thing FOR me was a tugging at the heart which I eventually could not resist. I was told afterward that a lot of people had been praying for me. I will hope to pray as efficatiously on your behalf!

And... I WILL keep listening to you, as well as talking TO you and praying for you. I'll never expect you to just be on the receiving end of a one-way street.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 04-13-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:24 PM   #1059
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Please pray away. Im of the opinion that prayer is in many ways beneficial for the prayer-er (?) even if Im dubious about its uses for the prayee. But I get it from my mom all the time. "David I was praying for you in church today could you tell??" "Well Im not sure mom. I was probably asleep."

As far as coming over to the light side well anything is possible. I think though that my heart... how is it put in the bible with Moses and the Pharo? My heart has been hardened over time. As I recall god hardened the Pharos heart on purpose in order to bring about what was his plan all along. So maybe there is a purpose to my dubiousness after all eh? In my attempt to marginalize you, you will be all the more saved!! *thunder*

Old 04-13-2004, 04:29 PM   #1060
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
Okay Rian, thanks again for the info, unfortunatly I've just skimmed through the posts (I have a short attention span, so generally I have to 'skim').
You're welcome Sorry I'm so wordy but it's hard to try to summarize complex topics. I tend to try to hit them from many sides and hope one side makes sense.

Quote:
What your saying - and correct me if I'm wrong - is that the choice to go to Heaven or Hell when you die is your own choice and it's not decieded by God. If you have faith in God and if you wish to go to Heaven, then you will get into Heaven. So - from a Christians perspective - since I choose of my own freewill to be Pagan and to follow Paganism, with no belief or faith in the Christian God, I am consciously choosing not to go to Heaven?
That's basically right. I would summarize it just a bit differently and say those that reject God will (by their own choice) go to hell.

In the Bible, Jesus talks about how there will be some surprises about who goes to heaven - some people that look like they would be going will NOT, and vice versa. IOW, it's a HEART issue - and God, who can see people's hearts, is the perfect judge. ANd that's the way it should be, IMO - a heart issue (by "heart" I mean the innermost real person that we are, not the outside picture we present to others).

So someone could say "I'm a Christian!" for whatever reason, but if it's not a true heart decision, God won't be fooled. And vice versa - someone who has never heard of Jesus could go to heaven based on the information that EVERYONE has available to them - the evidence of the stunning beauty and power of the universe around us, and the evidence of moral laws in the heart. (It's tricky to talk about this one - I'm NOT saying that everyone that worships some kind of God will be in heaven, but I AM saying that the Bible clearly teaches that Abraham, the "father of the Jews", was a Christian, and of course, he never heard of Jesus, now, did he, because Jesus hadn't been born yet! And the Bible says that EVERYONE has ENOUGH information to make a heart decision for or against Him. And this is only fair.)

And one of the clearest messages in the entire Bible is about God's tremendous love for us all - you, me, and everyone else. He wants a relationship with you - but he wants a freely-chosen relationship, not a robot relationship, and thus He gave us free will. Here on earth, it's not a face-to-face relationship, but for all eternity, it will be - and it will be glorious.

God loves you. I tell you this; and if you get a Bible and read it, the Bible will tell you this; and if you really listen to your heart, your heart will tell you that you're not just an accidental result of random natural purposes, but a valuable person who is designed for a loving relationship; and if you really look at the stars above and the flowers all around you, you'll see the evidence of a mighty Creator's hand - a Creator who loves beauty and majesty, and who is so abundantly filled with beauty and majesty that He scatters flowers even in places where they'll never be seen.

Yet people may freely chose to deny all this, and deny their very selves (which were created to be in loving relationship, but under God's authority - which only makes sense, as we are His creation and can never BE God) and choose to reject God. And the amazing thing is that God allows this free-will choice. He will not force us to love Him.

But He is always calling to our hearts that He loves us ... and is waiting for us to turn to Him.

Closed Thread