Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 03:06 AM   #1021
Baby-K
Corruptor

Artanis - I am fluent in 2 (English & Afrikaans) but I can understand, read & speak a little Zulu, Xhosa, Sotho, Dutch & German. My friend is teaching me Portuguese & French (so far I only know the greetings & curses, but I hope to speak a bit better soon)

Dutch & German are very similar to Afrikaans so it's not difficult to understand, unless people jammer on, then I sometimes get confused

Last edited by Baby-K : 01-29-2003 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:57 AM   #1022
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
Ik kan het natuurlijk altijd in het Nederlands zeggen zodat iedereen het begrijpt
Toch leuk dat iemand die een heel continent verder zit je kan verstaan in je moedertaal. Indrukwekkende talenkennis, Baby-K!
Old 01-29-2003, 06:16 AM   #1023
Baby-K
Corruptor

Ahh, now you're making me blush (about the language - knowledge thing) I'm responding in English 'cos it's easier for me (my Dutch is a bit rusty), but I do understand what you're saying - I'll just be very careful from now on what I say in Afrikaans - but thus fare I've been good....
Old 01-29-2003, 10:16 AM   #1024
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I was going to post an updated photo of me here. The one that is posted is from 95 at my friend's wedding in Australia. It is the best picture ever taken in my life. I was spent 90% of the film on my girlfriend and the few of me were just BAD. Basically, take the old picture of me and give me the Shaolin hair job, and a close cut goatee and you got the older me. I have to keep it short now do to vainity.

Earniel the long hair does you well. Was it that long in the frog kissing picture?

Lizra did someone say your picture was here, if so were?

Artanis did your parents( or older) immigrate or were you adopted?

Coney you look like you are from Cali.

Anduril you have a movie star look about you.

Elfmaster the world best looking 5'2" druken elf archer

I thought blackboar was a guy before the picture.

I know I missing a few people, but I am too tired to go back and check

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:48 AM   #1025
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Artanis did your parents( or older) immigrate or were you adopted?
I'm adopted.

Can you guess what nationality my real parents are?

I would very much like to see a pic of you, afro-elf!

Last edited by Artanis : 01-29-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:27 PM   #1026
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Look at all these polyglots here! I'm jealous

Baby-K - thanks for the good wishes, and you have my best wishes and prayers for a wonderful marriage, too I'm working on who your pic reminds me of, I've just been busy with 2 sick kids at home..

Artanis - you betcha! And your birth parents had to be Valar, because you look like how I picture Varda Really, I think I'll let some other people guess, because I'm not good at that (or ages, either!)

Still waiting for my friend's husband to email me the jpegs - when is it polite to start bugging him?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-29-2003, 01:52 PM   #1027
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Artanis - you betcha!
I knew it!
Quote:
And your birth parents had to be Valar, because you look like how I picture Varda )
I'm flattered, RÃ*an! And this is getting quite interesting: My parents are Valar, I'm Varda, and my son is a Hobbit! What then is my husband?

Quote:
Still waiting for my friend's husband to email me the jpegs - when is it polite to start bugging him?
Now! At once!
Old 01-29-2003, 02:09 PM   #1028
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm sorry, but those complex Valar/hobbit questions are too much for me! Personally, I'm rather mixed up too - my son in real life has an Entmoot name of Meriadoc, and RÃ*an's son is Tuor!

I'll give him another day for the pic before I start bugging him.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-29-2003, 02:18 PM   #1029
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
::RÃ*an, do you actually read your pm's? I sent you one AGES ago!!!::
Old 01-29-2003, 03:27 PM   #1030
Rían

Yes, I do, and I read yours, but I'm home with 2 sick kids, one very sick (she finally kept a tablespoon of water down w/o throwing it up - it's very tricky when they get that way - you don't want them to dehydrate, but you can't give them much to drink or it makes them worse). I was going to PM you shortly, but I'll just answer here instead - visually, it looks very nice, I like the color scheme Maybe put some interesting quotes from the books at various places. I would suggest that you start a few threads yourself so it's easier for people to join in an existing discussion, instead of starting a new thread themselves. Personally, however, I can't join, I'm sorry to say. I've had to limit myself to only being on this one discussion board. They are really enjoyable, but can easily take up too much time, and when I first joined Entmoot, we ended up eating fast food way too much! Now I've got it under control (usually ) but I've made a decision to only be on this one board. Also, I'm not into RPGs, which seems to be one of the main areas, since it was listed first, IIRC. But best of luck, and I hope you get lots of good members! You gotta be a little more patient, though

Old 01-29-2003, 03:38 PM   #1031
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well. If mom says she's got it under control, SHE'S GOT IT UNDER CONTROL!!!

Hi AE, My picture is on page 35, but it is very blurred, My hand looks good! I'll do something better soon, but I have to ask my husband to help me, and he gets a little irritated that I want to put my picture on. I think I can catch him at just the right moment though

Baby K, you look very pretty, I hope Anduril doesn't hurt himself at the gym!

Last edited by Lizra : 01-29-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:20 PM   #1032
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Earniel the long hair does you well. Was it that long in the frog kissing picture?
Yes. Although probably something of a 15 centimeters shorter because the frog-photo was taking 2-3 years ago and this one only last week. But on frog-photo my hair's tied in a braid.

RÃ*an, I hope your children get well soon.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:42 PM   #1033
Rían

Thanks, Eärniel. She finally fell asleep a few minutes ago, that's what she really needed. The important thing also is that she can now keep down small amts. of fluid (we're talking a tablespoon! Hope to get a little more down when she wakes up).

Lizra, tell him that you want him in the pic with you

*checks emails* drat, still no jpegs!!

Old 01-29-2003, 04:59 PM   #1034
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

He would really think that was dumb! He views people from the internet as suspcious strangers! (more or less)
We went through that thing with my youngest a year ago. Everyone was so anxious (I wasn't home at the time) to see him "hold something down" that they kept giving him little bits of stuff. Too much! He kept throwing up, and after all the diarrhea of the day before, he got really dehydrated and ended up in the hospital getting fluids through an IV. If the well meaning adults had just backed off a little, I think we could of avoided that huge bill! And all the pain and trouble for the little darling too! Course, I wasn't there, so it's easy for me to say!
Old 01-29-2003, 05:06 PM   #1035
Rían

Yeah, you can't keep giving them fluids if they keep throwing up, you have to let their stomachs settle down. When they get bad, I'll start with literally 1 teaspoon! and if they keep it down for 45 min, go to 2, then wait 45 min, then 3.... If they throw up, wait for an hour or so then try again. It's hard when they want a drink, but you have to get the stomach to not be so irritated, or they'll end up in the hospital. (of course if they can't keep anything down for most of the day, I would certainly call a doctor, but usually it's under control by the afternoon)

*snores from non-parent Entmooters* Hey guys, file this away in your "might need to know sometime" file

Old 01-29-2003, 09:09 PM   #1036
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Wow Wahine! Wish that pix was bigger! You look lovely! "Wahine" is an island girl, right? I used to have a Hawaiian boyfriend, his mom would refer to "white" girls as howlies, (I'm sure the spelling is off), is that right? He married a Japanese girl! I think his mom was happy.

Hi RE, welcome back! Where'd you go!
Wahine is woman, I don't know if specifically an island girl, but most of the time a surfing chick, nowadays.

Howlies? *giggles* Wow, memories. It's Illies now, at least in my region.

Howlies is attributed to any girl who doesn't surf.

You'll have to fight my borther of the pic sizes, I have 3 of them, and they all are that tile form.

My Brother married a Japanese girl. Miyumi. She seems sweet, and *snirk* she majored in english in Japan, but she still slips up and says "rearry?" sometimes. I've never met her. Talk on the phone on occasion, man does she give me the dirt on my brother!! Poor guy.

Thanks Lizra.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:33 PM   #1037
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
I would very much like to see a pic of you, afro-elf
I am on page 21. BUT I REPEAT that is 8 years old and the best picture I have ever taken. I've less hair now so I keep it cropped and with a close cut goatee.

Lizra, I missed your picture the first time around. The only difference I think for me was that I was thinking blonde.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-29-2003, 09:51 PM   #1038
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

Afro-elf, you kinda look like i expected you to, except better
Old 01-29-2003, 10:02 PM   #1039
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Thanks

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-29-2003, 11:56 PM   #1040
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Lots of people said they thought I was blonde. No blonde Armenians! (American Armenians that is! ) The lady in my avatar has brown hair also. She has on a yellow "cloche" style hat, a style quite popular in the twenties, but you see the brunette peeking out.