Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 02:28 PM   #1001
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by Esswen
I thought the cartoon was irreverent, cynical, insensitive, (funny) and it leans towards why Good Friday might be named this way, based on what I've heard (and thought sounded reasonable) that Christ's resurrection was 'good news'.

Ergo, Good Friday celebrates Christ (prospectively) demonstrating that physical death is not an end to life.

(Am I allowed to mention Tolkien here? Who proferred the thought in The Silmarillion that death might be a release from a burdensome life.)

It's like a friend of mine once said, though, What do people think they're going to do with themselves for all eternity?
I'm not saying that this would be the reason Good Friday was named as such. Rather, it points out one understanding of the reason for the death of Christ.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:32 AM   #1002
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
If there was one and only one religion on the planet then it might be possible to generalise and talk about 'one true religion' but where there are many religions, doesn't that fact cause that term to be pretty much meaningless?

Just my opinion
I have to agree with this. It's most probable that none are the "one true religion" and they are all just making stuff up.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:32 AM   #1003
Esswen
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
ahh, but don't forget that Tolkien was a fervent Catholic, and the Catholic standpoint is that we were never ment to die. I think that Tolkien liked the idea (for a story) just to have something different, than everlasting life.

And in a story anything can be made possible, even everlasting life.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:42 AM   #1004
Esswen
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
I'm not saying that this would be the reason Good Friday was named as such. Rather, it points out one understanding of the reason for the death of Christ.
Well, we've each got our own point of view. What I read in the cartoon was that there was a play on words, on the word 'good'. But then I'm not thinking from a Christian perspective, I guess.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:53 AM   #1005
Esswen
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I have to agree with this. It's most probable that none are the "one true religion" and they are all just making stuff up.
We might both be misunderstanding what people are meaning by the term, when they talk about "one true religion".

I'm looking at it from the position of there being many religions and, logically speaking, given that situation, how can one be singled out and elevated to become truer than the rest?

Instead, maybe what's being said is that in the heart of the believer, his or her religion is the one immutable truth. Could it be something to do with feelings rather than logic or the mind?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:27 PM   #1006
Orli17
Elven Warrior

i think that religion is actually a hope for all of us to cling on to in crisis. There may be no one god or a god at all but all of us have our dark days and when we do, we look to religion for hope and do good deeds for good luck to come our way(karma theory)... religion is very intense and in my opinion, never understandable.

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10 Things You'll Find in Legolas' Backpack - Elvensmiths & Co.

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
7. Enya’s "the Memory of Trees" CD
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
3. shampoo and conditioner
2. his picture
1. 101 Ways to Become the Prettiest Thing in Middle Earth

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Old 04-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #1007
Mercutio

If we understood everything about God, and what he does, and how he works. If everything was understandable on a human level, he wouldn't be much of a God, would he?

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #1008
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
If we understood everything about God, and what he does, and how he works. If everything was understandable on a human level, he wouldn't be much of a God, would he?
i think god/religion is understandable... it is a rationalization of the unknown... if there ever ceases to be an unknown element in our existance, it may no longer be necessary, but i don't see this happening anytime soon, if ever

this does not necessarily make anyone right or wrong... in fact, right and wrong are somewhat irrelavent... it's a way of viewing the world, and as such, will always be personalized, and should be allowed to remain personalized
Old 04-12-2004, 03:36 PM   #1009
Esswen
Hobbit

Religion (Part 1) - a security blanket and a pragmatic cover for emotional insecurity to aid and abet the rise of hope
God - a mystic who works in mysterious ways, who makes the unknown unfathomable, and yet the mind still soars
Religion (Part 2) - a rationalisation of the unknown and a way of bridging the gulf of ignorance on reality we're beset by

Interesting choices.

The first two approaches appear, to me, to suggest a passive acceptance of humanity's ignorance on reality and an indifference to discovering the universe's secrets.

The third approach talks to me about striving for greater knowledge.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #1010
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Religion (Part 1) - a security blanket and a pragmatic cover for emotional insecurity to aid and abet the rise of hope
God - a mystic who works in mysterious ways, who makes the unknown unfathomable, and yet the mind still soars
Religion (Part 2) - a rationalisation of the unknown and a way of bridging the gulf of ignorance on reality we're beset by

Interesting choices.

The first two approaches appear, to me, to suggest a passive acceptance of humanity's ignorance on reality and an indifference to discovering the universe's secrets.

The third approach talks to me about striving for greater knowledge.
Are those your own definitions? They sound a bit condescending.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 04-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #1011
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
*is a bit tempted to try her hand at a definition of atheism and agnosticism in the same style*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 04-12-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:59 PM   #1012
Esswen
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
it's a way of viewing the world, and as such, will always be personalized, and should be allowed to remain personalized
Amen to that.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:02 PM   #1013
Esswen
Hobbit

Quote:
I'm absolutely not being condescending. I'm just being a smart alec
Old 04-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #1014
Esswen
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
*is a bit tempted to try her hand at a definition of atheism and agnosticism in the same style*
Perhaps, but I would have said defining atheism, theism and agnosticism. You would be able to tell me what you mean by, in the same style.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #1015
Valandil

Be careful then... are you an agnostic who has been a born-again Christian? Because I'm a born-again Christian who has been an agnostic!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 04-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #1016
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
You would be able to tell me what you mean by, in the same style.
In your own words, a "smart alec" style

Were those "Religion (Part 1)" and "Religion (Part 2)" definitions your own, or did you quote someone else? I was assuming they were your own. Whoever wrote them, they sounded v. condescending to me.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-12-2004, 04:41 PM   #1017
Rían

and what was the "third approach", btw?

Old 04-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #1018
Esswen
Hobbit

Quote:
... are you an agnostic who has been a born-again Christian? Because I'm a born-again Christian who has been an agnostic!
No, I never went the born again route. Let me see now, I started off Christian, became agnostic and am heading towards an atheistic outlook.

I'm mindful that the worship of an anthropomorphic god might be to submit that 'man is the measure of all things', an example perhaps of human egotism (and a very ancient argument)? But then that's maybe not something you would agree with me on, and where you stand in time and space I don't dispute your right to your own beliefs.

Where I stand? Child of the universe, me, the universe being big enough and baffling enough to leave me awe inspired but still questing for wider understanding.

Last edited by Esswen : 04-12-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:48 PM   #1019
Valandil

Quote:
Where I stand? Child of the universe, me, the universe being big enough and baffling enough to leave me awe inspired but still questing for wider understanding.
But (to be a bit smart alecky myself! ) willing to knock those who earnestly believe they have discovered a wider understanding?

Now, to be UN-smart-alecky, I intentionally used the term 'born-again Christian' because the term 'Christian' by itself is so watered-down in our culture. It should be a redundant term, but is necessary for clarification today. Jesus says to Nicodemas in John chapter 3, "You must be born again." I submit to you that you have not REALLY tasted Christianity if you were not born-again. To be a Christian IS to be born again... Jesus says so. Now, were you really a Christian, or was there just some sort of 'Christian heritage' in your up-bringing?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #1020
Esswen
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
In your own words, a "smart alec" style

Were those "Religion (Part 1)" and "Religion (Part 2)" definitions your own, or did you quote someone else? I was assuming they were your own. Whoever wrote them, they sounded v. condescending to me.
Mmm, I just love word play. Yes, my writing style can be smart alec, but condescending? Well yes I can do condescending too, and you will interpret what others write as you see fit.

I made those sentences up based on what others in the forum had written following on from one of my posts. It was more an attempt to quickly analyse the three perspectives trying to find common and contrasting threads.