Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:42 AM   #981
Mari
Elf Lady

Just tell them you are busy right now and if they mind coming back later to tell their story. Then use their reaction as an indication as to how important the conversation is to them and based on that decide whether to put aside your work for a while or not.
Always works for me.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #982
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Just tell them you are busy right now and if they mind coming back later to tell their story. Then use their reaction as an indication as to how important the conversation is to them and based on that decide whether to put aside your work for a while or not.
Always works for me.
Never works for me: at least not here at the station. There's one person who just won't leave me alone. When I'm working/studying/reading or doing something else, many times with headphones on, this person comes into my room (without knocking or anything), stands next to me and either takes the headphones from my head or stands next to me until I do it. When I do, this person just stands next to me, looking down at me. I used to ask if I could help, what it was I could do, but I don't even do that anymore - mostly this person just stands there, staring down at me and giving me looks I can't interpret.

Just now when I'm reading some articles for the seminar this weekend, the same thing happened as always. But this time I didn't have to ask what it was, I was told that I should stop reading now because this person was tired of studying. Now it's my fault, because I took a short nap today and now have the energy to study. I despise jealousy, especially since this person seems to think we're friends - and I'm not friends with anyone who is upset with me because I'm doing well. Bleh. >.<

Thanks, dear Venting Thread. It helped.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #983
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You don't have a lock, Nerdy? If somebody went that far to me, I'd show them the door and not very kindly.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #984
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
You don't have a lock, Nerdy? If somebody went that far to me, I'd show them the door and not very kindly.
Nope, no lock I'm afraid.. And maybe I should do that before I explode.

Longer rant:
The reasons why I love being at the station in the summers is because I can either 1) be with people I like to hang out with when I want to and/or 2) be alone, which I don't mind at all (actually, many times I prefer it), AND 3) it's a nice place to work, both the place itself (which is a nature reserve in the archipelago) and the more abstract working place.

This year 1) the only one I got along really well with last year and didn't mind being around most of the time isn't here, 2) I'm never left alone: even my headphones don't seem to be a strong enough signal for some people, 3) we seem to have woken a small dictator in someone: now the work is supposed to become organized and controlled. So we have working lists now. And who negociated when who should do the feeding and watering? No one. Or, all the monkeys in the dictator's brain. It has always worked well with us agreeing amongst each other who does what, seems it's not enough anymore.
I know that it's not really a big deal, it might even be good when I've thought about it.. I just really, honestly (and I don't like using this word) hate when people tell me what to do. I can take it to some extent, but when the good reasons for it aren't obvious, my brain just starts spinning and I don't do anything that I'm told. Call it a childish reaction, I call this newly inforced hierarchy childish, ridiculous and very, very frustrating.
And this thing is perhaps blown out of proportions by me because everything else I loved about this place has sort of.. Disappeared for the moment. Which is too bad. I'm still hoping it'll come back, though. Otherwise I'll go completely nuts..

Maybe some sleep helps.. **** it.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #985
Mari
Elf Lady

Well, we're here to listen to your vents.
Too bad this year is a bit of a let down compared to previous times.
I hope you can find some rest somehow. >_<

Old 05-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #986
Nerdanel

Yeah, maybe I'll just have to make this a good year.. I guess I'll just have to make sure I get enough time for myself.

Thanks, though, the Moot is a good place to come when you're frustrated.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #987
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

What the heck is wrong with me?

I got top grades in all of my music classes. Every one, except aural skills because I missed a lot of those classes (they were first thing in the morning) and they count off for non-attendance.

Yet I failed both non-music courses. Failed. Both.

What. The. Eff? I thought I was doing okay. Like... I must have completely bombed both of those finals. What's WRONG with me?! Seriously, I thought I was doing okay, but.... ARGH!!!! I -do- want to get my college degree, but I keep failing the stuff that I'm just not interested in. I mean, I'm trying to pass those classes, I really am.

This is just... frustrating. And disappointing. I just wasted hours spent in the classroom, and on homework, and that's about $1,200 down the drain because I was too focused on other things. Argh. It's not even my money (well, I mean it will be... because I'll have to retake those classes on my money).

I really seriously think from now on I may just do my music classes at the university and see about getting my core done at the local community college. I know they don't let you do that for every single core class, but a lot of my class mates have been doing that for the majority of their core classes. It's cheaper. It's also supposedly easier course work.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #988
Mari
Elf Lady

*sigh* The bus drivers are on strike today. Of course I forgot about it, so I already wore the nice shoes I needed to wear this afternoon for a meeting, but now I had to walk home from the station.
The result: a nice blister and I wasn't able to wear those shoes to the meeting after all...
*sigh*

Old 05-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #989
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

The day to relax, for now, at least that's what I thought.

Sometimes there are those upon which you have to tend to immediately, and then those same people would ask on you to just stand and wait when it's something you need done.

Mari's sig' applies very well to the current situation...

"Friends are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer."

Very good quote. Which reminds me, how is everyone doing now?

Besides that, all is well, got home from work just a few minutes ago, and I prepare again to *attempt* to post an RPG post in "Long Lost Leaves."
Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #990
Earniel

Dear European council,

Usually I'm a mellow fan of yours, but seeing what you've done today, I have to ask: What the hell have you been smoking?!

I get it, It's the 5th time in 10 years you have to examine our communal problems because one region came to you and whined. You must be pretty fed up with it by now of it. Trust me, so are we.

But maybe if you for once sent some competent people over, I dunno, hey, it might go easier. Heck, I'm not even mentioning the problem of bias, since you nearly always seem to send French-speaking people.

But think about this for a moment. Just think. Your representatives found it unacceptable (yes that's the word) that we didn't allow mayors to take up their post because they expressly broke a federal law.

You know, this makes me think you and I don't share the same reality. They broke the law. What part of that didn't you get? You want us to let criminals take position as mayor? Are you out of your godforsaken mind?! Oh, wait, it's because they're French-speaking, right? Because they're the minorty, hey, they must be repressed by those dirty Flemish. Of course they don't need to follow laws like the rest of us! Oh yeah, you've really showed us now.

Go sit on something pointy, losers.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #991
Mari
Elf Lady

Will you believe it!? I'm checking out immigration and asylum procedures for the Netherlands for a friend of mine who wants to leave his country. The site is in Dutch only!
Even the asylum page!
ARGH!

Old 05-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #992
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Will you believe it!? I'm checking out immigration and asylum procedures for the Netherlands for a friend of mine who wants to leave his country. The site is in Dutch only!
Even the asylum page!
ARGH!
That.. Is incredible.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #993
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
What the heck is wrong with me?

I got top grades in all of my music classes. Every one, except aural skills because I missed a lot of those classes (they were first thing in the morning) and they count off for non-attendance.

Yet I failed both non-music courses. Failed. Both.

What. The. Eff? I thought I was doing okay. Like... I must have completely bombed both of those finals. What's WRONG with me?! Seriously, I thought I was doing okay, but.... ARGH!!!! I -do- want to get my college degree, but I keep failing the stuff that I'm just not interested in. I mean, I'm trying to pass those classes, I really am.

This is just... frustrating. And disappointing. I just wasted hours spent in the classroom, and on homework, and that's about $1,200 down the drain because I was too focused on other things. Argh. It's not even my money (well, I mean it will be... because I'll have to retake those classes on my money).

I really seriously think from now on I may just do my music classes at the university and see about getting my core done at the local community college. I know they don't let you do that for every single core class, but a lot of my class mates have been doing that for the majority of their core classes. It's cheaper. It's also supposedly easier course work.
Oh, geez, Tess, that really sucks. I really sympathise; that would just be awful.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #994
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ouch Tess! I hate it when I do that... I feel your pain...
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #995
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I just feel dumb. I mean, it's my fault that it happened. I know it's my fault... I just took on too many things and figured my middling grades would get me through... I think I had a C in both classes before the final so I figured I could focus on other things.

Luckily now I realize it's not because I'm not intelligent enough to pass the classes, which is how I would've felt before. Now I realize it's because I'm a big dumb head and should've sorted out my priorities .
Old 05-17-2008, 12:29 AM   #996
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

And two more blows today... found out some things about a 'friend' today that I've been really close to since I started as a voice major... and apparently he's been lying to me about a lot of things. Or... well not so much lying but holding back a lot. And I don't like who this makes him. The things I found out today make a lot of other things that I've been trying to ignore click into place.

And I'm not going to get the voice teacher I was really, really desperately wanting. His studio will be too full. So I have no idea who I'll be assigned to... I've been hoping and praying that whatever the best thing for me and my voice is will happen, so maybe this is the best thing.... but dang... that teacher turns out some fantastic singers :-/.

Blech. It's been a truly sucky day.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #997
Mari
Elf Lady

Someone told me this morning when we were discussing something that "I HAVE to think about that in this particular way, because I'm a Christian."...

There are millions of Christians out there and a lot of them wouldn't agree with my point of view. Why, oh why should my religion be my definition and my sole opinion?
He completely ignored that though my faith shapes me and is indeed part of me, I'm not just my faith! Not everything has to do with that, you know?

And in this particular case my opinion had nothing to do with my religious beliefs, only with my own senses and preferences.
It was a good way to kill a nice argument. Too bad, because I was having fun before.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #998
Nerdanel

I let very few people into my life. I can accept most people around me at work, in school and so on, but I'm interested in a very small percentage of them, on a personal level. So when someone I normally wouldn't want much more from than a hi and discussion about studying issues forces themselves into my life and start demanding my friendship and my freetime, the worst sides of me are brought to the surface. I've always thought that I can be really mean, now I know. And the only thing I feel is that this person should back off and leave me alone. How can it be so hard to understand that I don't want your company if I'm being rude and mean to you? I hate saying things like that straight to someone's face. They should've figured it out ages ago..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #999
Earniel

Jinx is ill, possibly really bad. Lost too much weight, drinks 10 times as much, and his one pupil won't contract according to light anymore. He has to be brought in tomorrow for some serious testing. Fne, I just want to burst into tears everytime I think of it. My poor kitten. Won't know anything until thrusday, dammit.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #1000
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Sounds...Like kidney faliure almost. Calcitrol does wonders for that, its what saved my cat for so long. Good luck to your kitten!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Closed Thread