Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2004, 03:14 AM   #81
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Canada is MOSTLY ice to the north.
The northern part Canada has a lot of ice, yes. Most Canadians don't live near it. If I remember my geography correctly (hah, BoP's sig, again! ), Ottawa (the Capital of Canada) is further south than parts of the lower 48 states. Maine doesn't have a state igloo, does it?

EDIT: Okay, okay, I'll stop! I must be a slow poster tonight...I keep missing two or three posts while I'm writing one.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:22 AM   #82
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
The northern part Canada has a lot of ice, yes. Most Canadians don't live near it. If I remember my geography correctly (hah, BoP's sig, again! ), Ottawa (the Capital of Canada) is further south than parts of the lower 48 states. Maine doesn't have a state igloo, does it?

EDIT: Okay, okay, I'll stop! I must be a slow poster tonight...I keep missing two or three posts while I'm writing one.
I've been to canada a ton of times - even up to by Ottawa - it is true that MOST Canadians live withint 90 miles of the US border - but there are ALSO many who don't. My friend Trish worked for a travel agency and she was going to have to meet people in northern Canada - they were going to have to fly in and then take dog sleds to get to the town.

BTW - you might have done better by using Alaska in your comparison - but you probably forgot that they were a state. I think maybe your friends were trying to tell you something.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:25 AM   #83
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I just don't see why you get so worked up about these things, JD. People are allowed to have opinions, and yes, there are a LOT of stupid/ignorant people in the US as well as other places. Just because BoP has a different opinion than you doesn't mean she's ignorant (I'd say she's far from it, and we differ in opinion on most things).

And Maine isn't our northernmost "continental" state...Minnesota is, so I don't think that there are many parts of Canada that are lower than Minnesota. But, i could be way off.

I really like my sig because it's always changing.

Actually, I kind of miss Hector's old sig, even though it was long.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:26 AM   #84
crickhollow

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
BTW - you might have done better by using Alaska in your comparison - but you probably forgot that they were a state. I think maybe your friends were trying to tell you something.
now you've missed my point, which was that Ottawa is further south than parts of the lower 48 states, which, last time I checked, did not include Alaska, though I most certainly do know that it is a state.

EDIT: Starr, parts of Ontario and Quebec swoop down, to meet the states, with the Great Lakes in between. and the capital city is indeed further south than most of Maine as well as parts of Michigan, Minnestota, North Dakota, etc...In fact they're further south than I am at this very moment, and the only ice around here right now is in little cubes in my freezer.

But you are right about Maine in relation to Minnesota, though.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:33 AM   #85
jerseydevil

Quote:
now you've missed my point, which was that Ottawa is further south than parts of the lower 48 states, which, last time I checked, did not include Alaska, though I most certainly do know that it is a state.
I think you might have edited the posts so they now say "lower 48 states"

Star Polish - the border of the USA with Canada is along the 49 parallel. So the most northern border of the US states are - Washington State, Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota. The northern part of Maine is about at the 47th parallel.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-23-2004, 03:37 AM   #86
crickhollow

you're right, I did edit my post--it must have been after you read it the first time, but before you hit "quote", because you notice that your post quotes me as saying "lower 48"...guess that one was my fault
Old 03-23-2004, 03:43 AM   #87
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I just don't see why you get so worked up about these things, JD. People are allowed to have opinions, and yes, there are a LOT of stupid/ignorant people in the US as well as other places. Just because BoP has a different opinion than you doesn't mean she's ignorant (I'd say she's far from it, and we differ in opinion on most things).
yeah - well the constant american bashing is getting really old. And her sig is ignorant and if she does believe that - then she is ignorant too.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-23-2004, 03:44 AM   #88
jerseydevil

Quote:
you're right, I did edit my post--it must have been after you read it the first time, but before you hit "quote", because you notice that your post quotes me as saying "lower 48"...guess that one was my fault
Actually - I thought you went into my post and edited the quote to match your post AFTER you saw my comment about Alaska.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-23-2004, 04:21 AM   #89
crickhollow

nope, I did not do that *trembles in fear of a title change as punishment for such bad behavior*. I think the only mis-use of Mod Powers I've ever done (and only once or twice, and really, at least a year ago!) is go through and correct spelling and grammar for people whose arguements I support... thank you for tuning in to Crickhollow's life of crime. We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast:

OK, I now found the funniest quote I've seen in a sig in a long, long, time. Lalaith_Elf, your "I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes stuck in my nose" quote made me just put my head down on my desk and laugh the first time I read it.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:31 AM   #90
jerseydevil

Quote:
nope, I did not do that *trembles in fear of a title change as punishment for such bad behavior*. I think the only mis-use of Mod Powers I've ever done (and only once or twice, and really, at least a year ago!) is go through and correct spelling and grammar for people whose arguements I support... thank you for tuning in to Crickhollow's life of crime. We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast:
hmmm - i wonder if that is really all you did. I like that though. Make sure the people you agree with sound smarter. I wonder if they were anyone who was posting against me though - then I do NOT like it. See - it seems to be from which side you look at the action.
Quote:

OK, I now found the funniest quote I've seen in a sig in a long, long, time. Lalaith_Elf, your "I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes stuck in my nose" quote made me just put my head down on my desk and laugh the first time I read it.
That one is funny. Personally I think that if everyone just followed my damn quotes - entmoot would be a much better place. Oh - and I would be far more happy right now. I thnk i should add into my sig "Entmoot - the blackhole of life"

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-23-2004 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 AM   #91
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Wow, who would've thought my sig wouldn't raised this much rile?

JD, If my sig makes me ignorant, then you had better add in at least 20 masters students, and more than 50+ undergraduate science students, and the entire Geography staff who voted the slogan in... Wanna know how many of 'em are Americans? ::infuriating grin::
Old 03-23-2004, 05:16 AM   #92
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
People are allowed to have opinions, and yes, there are a LOT of stupid/ignorant people in the US as well as other places. Just because BoP has a different opinion than you doesn't mean she's ignorant (I'd say she's far from it, and we differ in opinion on most things).
Oh, and thank you starr. The feeling is entirely mutual.

Is your sig self-penned? I've been meaning to ask for ages.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:33 AM   #93
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Wow, who would've thought my sig wouldn't raised this much rile?

JD, If my sig makes me ignorant, then you had better add in at least 20 masters students, and more than 50+ undergraduate science students, and the entire Geography staff who voted the slogan in... Wanna know how many of 'em are Americans? ::infuriating grin::
Well most people who spend there life in ivory towers are pretty ignorant of the outside world. So I will more than happily add them to the list. Damn you guys are like a school of fish. So - then what you are basically saying - is that there were a bunch of Americans who moved to New Zealand so they could be anti-American along with you - not surprising in the least. I'm sure you guys have A LOT in common.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-23-2004, 10:48 AM   #94
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

In honor of the thread, I have decided to give myself a new sig .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:53 AM   #95
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I really like my sig because it's always changing....
I like your sig because you are considerate enough to change the size to a "1". I find it irritating (at best) when people have long sigs and don't change the size or find some way to take up less room. Poems and lyrics do not need to be stacked, people!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #96
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I find it irritating (at best) when people have long sigs and don't change the size or find some way to take up less room.
Amen.

What would make my sig a lot cooler is if I could put more names of mooters in it. I've got 14 names right now and I'd sure like more. Help me, please.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:05 PM   #97
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Crick, you naughty mod! (and you spelled "arguments" wrong )

BOP, I think your new sig is hysterical!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:21 PM   #98
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I've come to like azalea's sig:

Quote:
That's all I have to say about that.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:31 PM   #99
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Sig I dunno about, but all I can say is that Valandil has some CUTE little kids!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #100
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
Sig I dunno about, but all I can say is that Valandil has some CUTE little kids!
"thin q"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote