Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-30-2003, 04:51 PM   #81
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Arathorn -

I was surprised by the line too. But words in British English are used differently. I did think it was funny that they left it in in the American version since that is basically only used in a sexual manner in the US. We don't even say "The water ejaculated from the bottle" We say "squirted". I can picture a lot of 13 years olds going around in class saying "ejaculated" when they are talking about someone yelling something.

As for the death scene - I was disappointed. I feel sorry for Harry - but basically the description of Sirius's death had no feeling to it. It was just people saying he's gone, never coming back. I also don't trust the veil thing - I just think there is a way to get him out or at least talk to him.

I actually thought it was going to be Neville who died. I figured he was going to sacrfice himself to protect Harry by jumping between Harry and Voldemort. I just thought in the end Neville was going to die as a hero. and be a really emotional death. Or else the other person I thought it would be was Ginny for the same reason. Ron seeing his sister die would have been very eomtional. But I was left feeling empty with the whole Sirius death thing. It had no emotional impact and I liked Sirius - so I'm sorry he's dead.

There has to be some reason for Sirius's "death" though. It has to be important in some way to the plot.

I had problems with the book - because too much of it seems to be spent setting up things for the next book. As has been mentioned - there was nothing said at all about the Prophecy until the last couple of chapters. So much of the book was just Harry having that unfinished "dream" - but then no one giving any hints nor anyone really attempting to figure out what it was. It was just so much in the dark until the very end. I also thought that the situation with Umbridge was wrapped up too quickly Too much of the book was wrpped up too quickly in the last couple of chapters.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:45 PM   #82
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
"We're not going to use magic?" Ron ejaculated loudly.
Honestly. It's a perfectly good word. It's not necessary to seek out sexual content in everything.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:57 PM   #83
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Honestly. It's a perfectly good word. It's not necessary to seek out sexual content in everything.
In the US - the word is only really used in a sexual context. If that is the only way it is used here - that will be the way people will think of it. Words only conjure up images of the way we use them - so it makes sense that Americans would think of the sexual meaning and not the way it is used in England.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-30-2003, 06:55 PM   #84
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

The primary def. is the verbal action and not, er... anyway, it isn't commonly used for obvious reasons. Why she chose to use it I can only guess; maybe to entertain 13 year old boys.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:06 PM   #85
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
The primary def. is the verbal action and not, er... anyway, it isn't commonly used for obvious reasons. Why she chose to use it I can only guess; maybe to entertain 13 year old boys.
Actually according to Websters online dictionary - it's the secondary definition.
Quote:
e·jac·u·late
v. e·jac·u·lat·ed, e·jac·u·lat·ing, e·jac·u·lates
v. tr.
1. To eject or discharge abruptly, especially to discharge (semen) in orgasm.
2. To utter suddenly and passionately; exclaim.

v. intr.
To eject semen.

n. (-jky-lt)
The semen discharged in an ejaculation.
I don't know if it requires spoiler or not - I don't see anything wrong with putting the definition in here.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-30-2003, 07:28 PM   #86
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Actually according to Websters online dictionary - it's the secondary definition.
My Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary print version lists them the other way. It's a couple of years old so maybe the order was changed to reflect common usage recently. Or the people at Webster's just don't try as hard as they once did.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-30-2003, 07:38 PM   #87
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

i think JD was just waiting for an excuse to post something like that . He told me on AIM that that is why he made that post.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:41 PM   #88
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
i think JD was just waiting for an excuse to post something like that . He told me on AIM that that is why he made that post.
I didn't say anything like that. You're the one that brought it up to me and said that my post was good because it showed people the definitions.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-30-2003, 08:11 PM   #89
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Well, I dont' see what the fuss is about. I've seen it used in that fashion in quite a few books. *shrug*
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:15 PM   #90
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Well, I dont' see what the fuss is about. I've seen it used in that fashion in quite a few books. *shrug*
I'm just saying that it isn't used here like that and so of course when people read it in America - they will think automatically of the sexual meaning.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-30-2003, 08:21 PM   #91
Cirdan

Quote:
I'm just saying that it isn't used here like that and so of course when people read it in America - they will think automatically of the sexual meaning.
Yep. I had to read it twice to be sure of what I was reading.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-30-2003, 08:24 PM   #92
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Well, that'll teach y'all to be so potty-headed.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:31 PM   #93
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Well, that'll teach y'all to be so potty-headed.
Probably not...

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-30-2003, 08:37 PM   #94
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
I didn't say anything like that. You're the one that brought it up to me and said that my post was good because it showed people the definitions.
dont pin your obsession with dirty words on me, you sicko.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:03 AM   #95
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Well, with all that's been said after I brought the subject up, I was wondering if there was a mix-up between the american publicaction and the european one. It reminds me of the movie Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and what I've been hearing about it's title being changed for british and other british colonized audiences (the non-american ones, of course).

Anyway, the Scholastic Edtion was the one that had this and is also what shipped to Manila. We had lotsa people pointing it out too and grinning since we're mostly brought up on the american english system.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:42 AM   #96
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
Anyway, here's the quote (and it's from a children's book so I guess it's ok except as a spoiler):
"We're not going to use magic?" Ron ejaculated loudly.

I didn't even notice it, which is surprising with my mind. To my ears it doesn't sound sexual at all; what do you think Ron is really doing in the classroom? Actually, I quite like the word: I may use it in one of my stories.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:09 AM   #97
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Heh. Snerk.

As regarding changes for America, as far as I am concerned, the less changes the better. None at all would make me happiest. I much prefer reading the book the way it was actually written (now there's a concept), even if it's a supposedly different language system.

tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:10 AM   #98
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
11. I can picture Ainsley Harriot playing Kingsley.
I always picture Kingsley as looking something like Shaft. Must be the whole 'tall bald black guy' thing.

"He's a bad mother--" "Shut yo mouth!"

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:59 AM   #99
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I just checked my book, and it's no wonder I didn't notice that word: because it's not in my version. It has '"We're not going to use magic?" Ron exclaimed loudly.' So they must've changed the word for the American version. I wonder why?
Old 07-01-2003, 06:26 AM   #100
Millane
The Dude

ohhh yeah i pictured Ainsley Harriot playing Kingsley but Samuel L Jackson would be awesome too (is that the Shaft your refering to?) in any case if they got Jackson in to do it it would add so many classy lines to the movie "english mother****er, do you speak it?" or when he busts in at the end in the Department of Mysteries "this parties over" then cursing everything to death