Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2003, 12:43 PM   #81
LovesBeren
Sapling

Not Really Looking... Since You Asked

I only saw one thing that bothered me... just for an instant in the editing. It was when Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gmili are walking towards Theoden Gandalf's staff is lowered in almost every angle except the one from behind them (the first time?). I am sure there's a few more editing glitches... but given that they spend several days filming these very complex scenes, it's amazing that they can get all of the editing done well.

I do wish they would have first shown the scene with Aragon with his head to the ground tracking the Uruk-Hai before we saw Merry and Pippin. It was confusing to my husband who has never read the book.

But, as complex as the Tolkien's work is it's hard make everything pure and still move the story along in a movie. As far as following the books PJ did try to adhere when he felt he could... as loose as the TTT movie was, it did move the storyline along by the end... well almost to the end of TTT book and a few great big RotK lines said by other characters that move the story along better on screen (i.e. Grima saying a few of Gandalf's lines from RotK to Eowyn, and Aragorn and Eowyn's interaction on "A cage")... I can't wait to see Eowyn in the RotK. Who says Tolkien had a purely masculine perspective...she's truly a mover and shaker of her time... ;-)
Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
Did anybody notice the cut above Merry's eye? It was there during the battle scene but when they ran into Fangorn and met Treebeard there wasn't a sign of it anywhere. Not a scar or blood or anything.
Cheers,
Sam
Although we didn't see them drink from the Entwash or have a drink of Treebeard's draughts, we can assume the wounds healed themselves just like the book...

But another post stated by squinteyedsoutherner...

Quote:
Another mistake, I believe, is that Faramir is wearing the livery of the heirs of Elendil (the white tree, stars and crorwn). RoTK says that "and none wore it now in all of Gondor save the guards of the Citadel before the court of the fountain where the white tree had grown" Watch Faramir in Osgiliath, he's definitely wearing it.
...and if remember right... it was against their law to do so... but it is beautiful and perhaps it does give us a glimpse of the white tree and 7 stars before the next movie which in my opinion was very confusing the first time I read the book. I didn't know the significance of it.

Wondering why PJ decided to do with the Tolkien's work I think is okay, but I do think we have to be careful to criticize at least until RotK movie... :-)
LovesBeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 01:04 PM   #82
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

That reminds me... If Aragorn could 'hear' the vibrations of the orcs running a days journey ahead, the n shouldn't he easily have guessed that a large group on horseack was approaching before they were practically on top of them? Maybe he has to lie down to do it...?

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 01:40 PM   #83
LovesBeren
Sapling

Hey eowyngirl14 - Love that girl...

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
That reminds me... If Aragorn could 'hear' the vibrations of the orcs running a days journey ahead, the n shouldn't he easily have guessed that a large group on horseack was approaching before they were practically on top of them? Maybe he has to lie down to do it...?
Hope you don't mind that I went to the book on this one...

In the book they tracked Uruk-Hai by the "messy" trail they left behind...solving the riddles as they went along. There was no need to listen to the ground... until nightfall with no moon... then, Aragorn says, "Where sight fails the earth may bring rumour,"... after some time he says, "The rumour of the earth is dim and confused...Nothing walks upon it for many miles about us. Faint and far are the feet of our enemies. But loud are the hoofs of the horses..." he thought it was a dream at first... A day (or two) Later we learn the sound of horses were the Riders of Rohan... (Legolas was first to spot them with his keen eyes miles away).

I don't know what PJ was doing with the "listening to vibrations of Aragorn," but it does seem inconsistant that Aragorn did not hear horsemen as well. Perhaps it was one of the those "time" issues with a already 3-hour movie or he didn't want to confuse an "unread" audience with a new element. I do think the movie should have been a bit "tighter" in the beginning at least. But maybe knowing the book so well hinders my ability to discern.

Thanks for the reply... eowyngirl14!
Old 01-04-2003, 03:15 PM   #84
azalea
Long lost mooter

Gerbil, here is a quote from Appendix A (I had looked it up last night because I had the same thought ):

"...Arwen became as a mortal woman, and yet it was not her lot to die until all that she had gained was lost."

To me that says that she was indeed destined to die, but because of her elvishness she did have a longer life span than normal, and it so happened that she outlasted Aragorn. After he went, she, as I'm sure you remember, went to empty Lorien and eventually "laid herself to rest," kind of choosing her time to die just as Aragorn had.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:37 PM   #85
lacemkr90
Hobbit

On the trip from Edoras to Helms Deep I noticed that Eowyn was wearing a long sleeved dress with a fur collar and carried no baggage. Then as she entered Helms Deep she has on a jumper and a basket is strapped to her back.
lacemkr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 05:52 PM   #86
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally posted by LovesBeren

Thanks for the reply... eowyngirl14! [/B]
WOW! You are the only person to thank me for responding! How nice! Thankyou for clearing up the vibration issue for me! My brain was going to break trying to figure it out. Happy New Year everyone!

lacemkr90, maybe she is just special, and is the only one who gets to change cloths?! The fur collar dress thing looked a little like a coat/overdress/thingy to me... maybe she just got hot and took it off. Also her pack could have been on one of the horses, and then she had to remove it when all of the men road off to fight the wargs... but there is no logical reason behind why Peter Jackson would do that... good catch! I didn't notice that!

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-04-2003, 07:17 PM   #87
LovesBeren
Sapling

Quote:
WOW! You are the only person to thank me for responding! How nice!
eowyngirl14

LovesBeren
Old 01-05-2003, 12:23 AM   #88
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
Also, from what I recall, doesn't Arwen technically give up her place in Valinor for Frodo? I'm sure I recall somewhere Tolkien making a comment on this.
From the ROTK:
Quote:
But the Queen Arwen said: 'A gift I will give you. For I am the daughter of Elrond. I shall not go with him now when he departs to the Havens; for mine is the choice of Lúthien, and as she so have I chosen, both the sweet and the bitter. But in my stead you shall go, Ring-bearer, when the time comes, and if you then desire it. If your hurts grieve you still and the memory of your burden is heavy, then you may pass into the West, until all your wounds and weariness are healed. But wear this now in memory of Elfstone and Evenstar with whom your life has been woven!'
Old 01-05-2003, 05:26 PM   #89
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

Quote:
That is what I thought too! Iin Fotr when she hands Aragorn her little necklace thingy, they make it sound like she is giving up her immortality for him! I do like that scene, even if I don't like Arwen!
Yay! I'm not the only one then! Double bonus: not only does someone agree with me but i got quoted too!
P.S I like Arwen, she's so Elvish

Last edited by Elvedans : 01-05-2003 at 05:29 PM.
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 07:24 PM   #90
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvedans
Yay! I'm not the only one then! Double bonus: not only does someone agree with me but i got quoted too!
Well she is an elf! If she was hobbit-ish we'd be very worried!!! Tee hee! Mx
Old 01-05-2003, 10:40 PM   #91
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

Quote:
I'm quoting you yet again... but I don't agree this time, sorry. Yes Arwen is really elvish, BUT I DON"T LIKE HER! SHE GETS ARAGORN AND EOWYN DOES NOT! NOT FAIR! NOT FAIR! NOT FAIR!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-06-2003, 05:53 AM   #92
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

Hey Eowyngirl14, that is precisely the reason i hate Eowyn. She tries to steal Aragorn with her teary little eyes. Grrrrr-bark! Get your filthy hands off him girl !!!
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 05:35 PM   #93
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

Quote:
Hey Eowyngirl14, that is precisely the reason i hate Eowyn. She tries to steal Aragorn with her teary little eyes. Grrrrr-bark! Get your filthy hands off him girl !!!
NOoooooooo! Down with Arwen! I bet she couldn't hold a sword for her life! Does she kill the Witchking? I don't thinks so! Eowyn kills the Witchking! That's rigth Eowyn does! She is the best! Atleast Eowyn doesn't show up in movies she doesn't belong in, unlike someone I know *stares pointedly at Arwen's face witch is ruining my Aragorn picture!* (well don't really know her, but you get the idea!)

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-06-2003, 07:36 PM   #94
LovesBeren
Sapling

I think this discussion might end up somewhere else... since it is getting off topic. But Eowyn is a different dimension of womanhood than Arwen. Arwen didn't have the huge oppression around her like Eowyn. (Although Arwen did lose her mother to Orcs) Her response to isolation and dotage (not to mention a wizard wanna be speaking spells to her as well) probably saved her sanity in the end. In comes "knight in shining armor" Aragorn... and she was awestruck.

****Spoiler for Rotk*****

Then later ends up with Faramir... some on another site call this foul... but I don't so... I'll put my reply below...

I think Eowyn is more emotionally balanced than even Tolkien leads us to believe at first. Faramir (who Tolkien I've heard is the character in the LotR that is most like himself) is both wise, valiant, and a good judge of character. He would not have taken Eowyn as his wife if she did not demonstrate both loyality and love to him. I'm sure he could have had his pick of many women to marry. I think it was to Eowyn's credit that she "Got over it" and moved on in her life. Many people just sit around and mourn their loss. (I know, I know... it also forever ties together Men of Gondor with The Rohirrim as well, but I still think is beside the point)

more...

Aragorn says something that leads me to believe (in the book) that, although he greatly admired Eowyn, he wasn't capable of loving her... In other words, there is really never a love triangle and I don't think PJ goes over the line on this..... for example,

Quote:
Few other griefs amid the ill chances of this world have more bitterness and shame for a man's heart than to hehold the love of a lady so fair and brave that cannot be returned. Sorrow and pity have followed me ever since I left her desperare in Dunharrow... from RotK, The Houses of the healing
And as for answering the questions I had on how Eowyn could have loved him and then fallen in love with Faramir is that she wasn't quite was quite sane when she meet Aragron... she was likely clinically depressed and she saw something else she mistook for "love" at the time...
Quote:
Gandalf says to Eomer on Eowyn:
You had horse, and deeds of arms and the free fields; but she, born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemd to her more ignoble that the staff he leaned on. ...but who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watch of the night? Said by Grima in TTT but in book - RotK, Houses of the Healing
Furthermore Aragorn even says he never was tempted, however it is clear that there was a connection... whether it was pity... or deep felt compassion for a woman that has been manipulated and is deeply sad.
Quote:
...Aragorn to Eomer of Eowyn:
I say to you that she loves you more truly than me...but in me she loves only a shadow and a thought: a hope of glory and great deeds, and lands far from the fields of Rohan (away from the dishonour of what she is experencing... my addition to the text). - Houses of the Healing
And now Eowyn's words, which in my opinion, give more evidence that she felt trapped and depressed...
Quote:
What do you fear, lady? He asked (Aragorn).
'A cage," she said (Eowyn). To stay beind bars, until use and old age accept them and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - in TTT movie, but in Book RotK, The Passing of the Grey Company
Aragorn represented"a way out of her misery, a saviour, not a man. With the help of her Eomer (her family) she can regain her hope. As we most of us know, when we are "balanced" we can find true love (not when we are desparate). In comes Faramir... both valiant and wise... She was sure to notice.

I think Tolkien dearly loved women and understood both the "Awen's and Eowyns" (and especially his Luthien)... Don't you think? :-)

Luthien (LovesBeren)
Old 01-06-2003, 08:23 PM   #95
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

What does 'dotage' mean?

Sorry, ya, you definetly have a point there!

Thankyou for posting that, I understand it a lot better now, but Eowyn still should have gotten Aragorn!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-06-2003, 08:41 PM   #96
LovesBeren
Sapling

The battle for Aragorn...

dotage - A deterioration of mental faculties; senility. (Theoden)

:-) Hey, but she may end up better for it ... eowyngirl14!

LovesBeren

Old 01-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #97
eowyngirl14

Gandalf Re: The battle for Aragorn...

Quote:
Originally posted by LovesBeren
dotage - A deterioration of mental faculties; senility. (Theoden)

:-) Hey, but she may end up better for it ... eowyngirl14!

LovesBeren

I looked up what senility means, so I don't have to ask you... ya she might be better off, but Aragorn is sooo much better looking then Faramir! I am being shallow I know... but it's true! Even though Faramir is a lot sweeter...

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-07-2003, 05:48 PM   #98
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
Sam Gamgee mistake

Well..theres this site where they have like 90 of them, but the one i noticed is where legolas does the really cool swingy thingy on top of the horse when their fighting the orcs with the kingdom of roham on the way to helms deep. Legolas swings on behind gimli, and in the next scene, hes in front of him. I also notice that he didnt have his contacts on for some of the time...silly orlando.

*Laura*
Legolas, Frodo, and aragorn lover

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:52 PM   #99
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
Sam Gamgee ohh....and another one

I remember another one! When gandalf rides his horse, he rides "bareback" tho he really has a saddle on it in real life. If you watch carefully, in some scenes the stirrups are showing

*Laura*
Legolas, Frodo, and Aragorn freak
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:53 PM   #100
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

How do they make te saddle not show up? Good catch! About the Gimili, Legolas, seeting arangment!

- Benjamin Franklin