FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2003, 07:24 PM   #81
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Cool. I'll look for it!

I meant the one online, the one that loads so slowly. It has elven family trees. I wonder how accurate they are.

Does your printed Arda Encyclopedia have elven family trees? That would be so useful.
I think the Encyclopedia of Arda you are thinking of Elfhelm whose page hasn't been coming up lately is an ok source, but like I said in another thread, to me it doesn't seem to be updated often, because they still show Orodreth as the son of Finarfin, and Gil-galad as the son of Fingon.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 07:26 PM   #82
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackboar
Tolkien-the illustrated encyclopedia

Written by David Day

Publisher=Ted Smart

Just felt like doing it propaply
On no! David Day is considered to be a very unreliable reference source.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-10-2003, 07:34 PM   #83
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Maybe when we (you all) get to that part of the Silm group reading you can build proper family trees.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:32 PM   #84
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
And I just finished The Lays of Beleriand where they were .... SWITCHED AROUND!!! ......

*runs off screaming*
LOL! ...... No Finarfin, Finrod is somebody else....
Old 01-11-2003, 04:09 AM   #85
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Now be sure to edit the first geneology table in the Sil to fix Gil-Galad's parentage
Ok, who is Gil-galad's dad? It says in the Sil it's Fingon, but that's wrong. It probably says in the letters or HoME, but I can't remember it. And it says Orodreth is the son of Finarfarin. I will have to correct my copy of the Sil. Rian, that 'g' trick works and I can remember the family trees easily now!

Last edited by cassiopeia : 01-11-2003 at 04:11 AM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:59 AM   #86
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Finarfin
|
Angrod
|
Orodreth
|
Gil-Galad

As opposed to:

Fingolfin
|
Fingon
|
Gil-Galad.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 01-11-2003 at 06:00 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 04:00 PM   #87
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Rian, that 'g' trick works and I can remember the family trees easily now!
Hey, that's great! Funny how little memory things like that can help out.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:57 PM   #88
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Hey, that's great! Funny how little memory things like that can help out.
You know what's funny? I never had a problem remembering who was who, even to this day. I guess it just boils down to falling in love with one of the "F" names. Then you have no choice but to keep track.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-13-2003, 04:54 PM   #89
gandalffan2525
Enting

i finished it!!!!!
now on to the unfinished tales *frowning once more*
Who is X?
click here-->Dagorhir!
"I will personally strangle the next person who refers to ents as 'those talking tree things'"
gandalffan2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:58 PM   #90
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hey, congrats, gandalffan2525!

Keep going, everyone else it's worth it!

(BTW, gandalffan2525, I liked UT a lot better than BoLTs 1 and 2)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-13-2003, 04:59 PM   #91
gandalffan2525
Enting

go turin!(sp?)
Who is X?
click here-->Dagorhir!
"I will personally strangle the next person who refers to ents as 'those talking tree things'"
gandalffan2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:23 PM   #92
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
You know what's funny? I never had a problem remembering who was who, even to this day. I guess it just boils down to falling in love with one of the "F" names. Then you have no choice but to keep track.
I haven't had much mayor problems with the names either and I didn't even need an infatuation with a certain elf lord whose name begins with an F.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:21 PM   #93
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

Strider

im reading the silmarillion right now, and at first i felt the same way, but it got A LOt more interesting!it especially gets more interesting with the part about beren and luthine
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:07 AM   #94
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Yup, although it starts out slow, it gets awesome as it goes along. I am actually just about to read the story of Beren and Luthien (even though I know it already, however I never read it in full). This book definitely gets better, the story of Fingolfin was my favorite so far, he rocked!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:11 AM   #95
Aryaveiel Skycryer
Sapling

I am a whole 50 pages into the Silmarillion, and while, overall, it has not gotten any more interesting, it most definitely has some worthwhile passages. While you probably read this part already, my favorite section is when Tolkien describes the Two Trees of Valinor. It's gorgeous!
Aryaveiel Skycryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:00 AM   #96
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Yup, although it starts out slow, it gets awesome as it goes along. I am actually just about to read the story of Beren and Luthien (even though I know it already, however I never read it in full). This book definitely gets better, the story of Fingolfin was my favorite so far, he rocked!
I really like the story of Fingolfin fighting Morgoth - I agree - he ROCKED! If you ever get to the HoME books, in The Lays of Beleriand, HoME 3, Tolkien put it into verse. Here's just an excerpt - Fingolfin's defiance before Morgoth's gates:
Quote:
In that vast shadow once of yore
Fingolfin stood: his shield he bore
with field of heaven's blue and star
of crystal shining pale afar.
In overmastering wrath and hate
desperate he smote upon that gate,
the Gnomish king, there standing lone
while endless fortresses of stone
engulfed the thin clear ringing keen
of silver horn on baldric green.
His hopeless challenge dauntless cried
Fingolfin there: 'Come, open wide,
dark king, your ghastly brazen doors!
Come forth, whom earth and heaven abhors!
Come forth, O monstrous craven lord,
and fight with thine own hand and sword,
thou wielder of hosts of banded thralls,
thou tyrant leaguered with strong walls,
thou foe of Gods and elvish race!
I wait thee here. Come! Show thy face!'

Old 02-02-2003, 01:24 PM   #97
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Aryaveiel Skycryer
I am a whole 50 pages into the Silmarillion, and while, overall, it has not gotten any more interesting, it most definitely has some worthwhile passages. While you probably read this part already, my favorite section is when Tolkien describes the Two Trees of Valinor. It's gorgeous!
It was like that for me as well, it took longer than 100 pages to pick up, I thought it read rather slow the first 100 or so pages, but now I am breezing through it....

Quote:
I really like the story of Fingolfin fighting Morgoth - I agree - he ROCKED! If you ever get to the HoME books, in The Lays of Beleriand, HoME 3, Tolkien put it into verse. Here's just an excerpt - Fingolfin's defiance before Morgoth's gates:
Thanks for that passage RÃ*an that was awesome!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:59 AM   #98
Rían

You're welcome

Old 02-16-2003, 09:34 AM   #99
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

Quote:
Originally posted by GRONK!!!
[B]Umm... GRONK has the feeling that the areas of LoTR that everyone is saying would be enhanced by the silmarillion are the areas that GRONK never payed much attention to in the first place. GRONK has a bad habit of unconsciously skipping over the really wordy and detailed paragraphs of books.
That sounds like me! Sometimes when I feels really guilty about doing that I go back and force myself to take in the detail. And sometimes I read it but i don't take in the words i just go through them in my head. I really enjoyed the sil tho.!
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:12 AM   #100
Ruinel
Banned

Arwen Undomiel The Silmarillion: bilble of Tolkien's world

I'm shocked when I read how bored some of you are in reading the Sil. I found that I could not put it down. If you are having difficulties keeping people straight, keep paper and pen handy and make lineage charts of Elves and Men. If you are having difficulties with keeping places straight, keep the map handy.

Last edited by Ruinel : 02-19-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote