Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2002, 06:41 PM   #81
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I like you, nibs! Good post.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 07:09 PM   #82
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I just wanted to say that it is very difficult for people that were not involved to know what was going on. Only a very very small percentage of stuff is on the this thread - most of it was very amicable behind the scenes.

Also it isn't a matter of people taking sides, for one thing I was not against anyone. The only people I cared about were the authors of the story and Feraway who did the artwork (which was not an issue).

This whole issue would not have gone to the courts. All it took was some discussion behind the scenes to clear everything up. We were only consulting legal sources and experts to determine who had the right to the story. We were NOT preparing to press legal action. If anyone is interested I will ask the president and owner of the web hosting company to write up the info he was going to give me. This will back up the claims that LEGALLY the story belongs to the authors and not to Tolkien Trail.
The story will be hosted on Rivendell with the understanding of the authors and it will be hosted on a seperate site. The authors will retain all rights to the story.

With the compromises the authors, Feraway, Tolkien Trail and Aldesign and all others involved should be happy. The situation was not as bad as it may appear on the thread - but I think it was hard to have a discussion over a thread with so many outside people coming in and taking sides.

No one should think ill of either side. We both had our stands on the issue and we discussed them and reached an understanding.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 07:37 PM   #83
aldesign
Elven Warrior

I HAVE STATED THIS ALL ALONG< and i shall say it again.

i did do this for the Authors in the first place, they wanted a home for their story that could eventually be continued into an online comic. I had permission from all involved, and we agreed that Feraway would do the artwork.

Bropous, im not shure what your quib with me is, but as an Author, like all other authors i will always respect your opinion on the site i have produced.

aldesign
peace out
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 11:25 PM   #84
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

JD, allow me to thank you from the bottom of my heart for clearing this up for us. We never could've gotten it resolved this quickly and cleanly without you!!

Hey, Bropous and Nibs? Could you guys please not try to assign ownership of our story? Bro, if you say your chapter is Entmoot's, fine. But if there was any arguing over the rights (which there won't, since it's resolved), it would be between the writers and the administrators, and be nobody else's business. Sorry, but it ticks me off when people think they can make decisions about MY work.

Many thanks also for Darth Tater and HOBBIT for being understanding and patient and putting up with my confused ramblings.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 12:32 AM   #85
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Yes, speaking also for me, Sam, and Wayfarer too.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 02-16-2002 at 12:36 AM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 02:30 AM   #86
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Wow, i take a little break from the computer world and miss the storm of the century!
I am glad it has passed with little damage, and the sun is shining again. I know that all is resolved, and my comments are no longer necessary, but as you know, I'm the most opinionated Bregalad on the site and I have a few comments I would like to make.
Tolkien Trail is beautiful as is. It would be a great pity for ANYONE to re-design it. The original artwork is charming and eye-catching. It is the fact that TT stays away from the movie pic, pedestrian glam of other Tolkien websites that makes TT stand out in a crowd. Anyone can patch together a bunch of flash from other sources and make a website, but it takes a real artist to design something like Tolkien Trail.

Darth, for the amount of rudeness you have had to put up with in this thread, I thought you were amazingly polite and well behaved. Good boy, you get a biscuit!

Bmilder, you also stayed very cool-headed, despite rampant admin-bashing. I enjoyed your comments.

Personally, I think being able to post on this site is a precious privilage. It is not a right. I would not think of publishing anything on Entmoot without asking the permision of the administration as well as the authors. We are all of us here at the tolerance of the administration. They pay for this site. They fix it when it's broken. They put in the time to make sure this doesn't become a name bashing free-for-all. And for all that, it seems like a lot of the time they are treated like the evil empire. That's shameful. I'm not saying that I'm not at some time going to disagree with a decision of the adminitration, but I hope that when that time comes, I at least have the class to handle myself in a polite and intelligent manner.

To all the administation, I thank you for your hard work. I for one am thrilled to be a part of this website where I can write down all of my opinioated opinions!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 02:44 AM   #87
Nibs
Head Hollara

Hey, I complimented them first... don't go taking away my thunder...

Ha! Juuuuust kidding... I'm so silly... yes, I want to echo my own words as well as Bregolas' and just thank you guys... I've only enjoyed this website for about a week now, but I already love its atmosphere. No telling how bleak our lives would be without this unique liaison for fandom. <- [my second official smiley!]

Whoah, I feel emotional... listening to the ending music on "Rudy" will do that to you... Go Sam- I mean Rudy!!

And waaaaiiit a second... whoah, whoah, whoah, Frodo-Friend... I wasn't saying you don't deserve to have your name on it, or any dilly-dally you had cookin' in your head, but rather that the core of the argument (as I could see it) was where web page should go.

I'd rather you not LEAP to conclusions like that and put words in my mouth, if you catch my meaning, Miss Frodo-friend (get it??).

I meant no harm in my post, especially not to you authors... I don't think you need fret either way, though... I'd like to read the cleaned-up version of that episode... quite entertaining... good job.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.

Last edited by Nibs : 02-17-2002 at 02:55 AM.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 09:32 AM   #88
aldesign
Elven Warrior

The cleaned up version of the story is currently offline, and has been for 3days,
im awaiting Authors permission to re-open the site

Samwise, and Wayfarer have currently replied, and are happy, just waiting on the other 4.

aldesign
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 10:28 AM   #89
Darth Tater
The man

Why thank you other anduin, er, I mean Bregalad

Nibs, your opinion probably makes sense from what you can see in this thread, but you have to understand that this is only half the story. There's a lot that went on behind the scenes that you'd really need to know about to understand this. And quite frankly I see no reason to make it all public at the moment. Everyone who was not involved should just be happy the issue is resolved.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 10:59 AM   #90
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

FrodoFriend, just as a clarification, I never presumed to speak for you, Rogue Elf, Wayfarer nor samwise on this issue. I spoke only for myself, and made it quite clear the only involvement I had was one [unimportant] chapter, which could be omitted if you folks so desired. To me, it would be like one who wrote the entry for "John Wilkes Booth" to lay claim to the entire "B" section of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. Hope you didn't get the diametric opposite impression. All I wanted was for the Admins to be considered, as this IS their site, just as your writings are YOUR work. Tu comprends, n'est-ce pas?

I made no decision nor claim as to your work nor anyone else's. Check back. However, in the interests of harmony, to remove confusion, and to show I don't want any say whatsoever over you folks' work, if you folks would prefer, just take the chapter out and let's just call it a dead issue. I'm not the type, FF, to take credit for another's creation, okay? I don't want to dictate to someone what they can do with their creations; all I was trying to do was point out the facts. I have respect for you folks and don't want this tempest in a teapot to hinder good Mooting.

Just as an aside, I think you folks did one heck of a job on that story. All of you.

Let's just pack this tent and get back on the trail, what say?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 02-17-2002 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:24 PM   #91
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Darth! I'm not anduin! Not that I would mind it, she's way cuter than me, but I'm way sillier, and silliness is very important don't you know! But if I was anduin I'd have to use that nasty machintosh, icky. But I'd also get to live in her cool house with her cute doo-dah. Man, tough call, but I guess I like being me!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 03:45 PM   #92
Darth Tater
The man

Sure, right, whatever you say Liz
Old 02-17-2002, 05:24 PM   #93
Nibs
Head Hollara

Okay, I stand corrected, but then why was this all posted up here at the 'moot, where anyone can post their opinion? I tried to make unobtrusive observations, according to all the posts, and I backed up who I thought was in the right (which doesn't matter now). And now I get scolded by both sides because of my comments...

I suppose I had no part in it in the first place, which is all too true, but I don't think I really bashed anybody; at least, not as much as I got in return for my comments.

My goodness... I've only been here about a week and I'm already emotional about how I'm treated here... I need to lie down for awhile.

Old 02-17-2002, 05:36 PM   #94
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Well I wasn't blasting you really. It's just that a lot of people started saying stuff. I think both sides would rather not have to rehash the whole thing. I was making a general statement to let people know - please don't base your opinions on just this thread. Also I didn't really think people should be taking sides.

It was basically brought into the open through this thread accidently. This was not the orginal name of the thread - but after Aldesign posted the URL and then Tater came back with his thoughts - it sort of blew up into this whole thing.

Now we're all friends again and everythign is fine.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 06:03 PM   #95
Darth Tater
The man

Nibs I'm sorry if you felt I snapped at you. I was just saying that you don't know the whole story.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:01 PM   #96
Nibs
Head Hollara

Well, I knew that I wasn't clear on the complete story most of all... however, if it was being discussed on the side, why was the thread allowed to continue? Were my messages a little biased? I hope not, because that wasn't at all the intent...

Yes, we're all friends here... but don't gimme no grief.

Last edited by Nibs : 02-17-2002 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:40 PM   #97
Darth Tater
The man

I'm sorry if we made a little mistake like confusing you folks, but this situation just exploded and had to be dealt with! We did that in a very timely manner and I think everything's turned out quite well! Geesh, once again I must ask that you give the administration a break! We may be all powerful, but we're only human!
Old 02-18-2002, 11:59 AM   #98
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

What? The Admins are human??? Well, I for one am crestfallen. I thought you guys were some rogue element of remaining Ents who could type and write code....
Old 02-18-2002, 07:26 PM   #99
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Just for the Record, I'd like to say that I don't care.

I hope that is enough for those of you who haven't yet gotten around to sending me a private message asking what I think.

As usual: 'Irony, Satire, Sarcasm-Wayfarer'