Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2002, 08:35 AM   #81
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Personally I think the sam -> frying pan incident sucked.
In fact it raises a major point about the film, so I'm off to start a new thread about orcs. Stop groaning at the back. It'll be fun. Oh yes it will...
Old 01-21-2002, 11:57 AM   #82
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Thanks for the definition, Renille!

I haven't seen the "Boromir hand thing" yet, maybe when I see it for the seventh time. I did see the car on a couple of visits to the theater, but the last time I went I could not see the car, although I did search for it. Must be a re-edit.

I think, bloopers aside, it was still an excellent film!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:14 PM   #83
Churl
Elven Warrior

I have to agree with FrodoFriend. Letting miniscule glitches and nearly unnoticeable continuity flaws ruin your enjoyment of the movie is like standing in the middle of Lothlórien and complaining about one or two stray weeds.

Sure, I'm curious about the little “hiccups” in the film; I wouldn't have tuned into this thread otherwise. But instead of letting the rare technical/production flub distract me, I’d prefer to watch the movie for its beauty, thrills, emotional depth, and celebration of Tolkien's genius.

(Don’t get me wrong: I'm all for debating the creative and interpretative choices that were made — with some of which I didn't agree. I’d just rather not let the 0.001% that was technically flawed overshadow the remaining 99.999%, which was technically brilliant.)
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:30 PM   #84
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I've never looked for any of the mistakes yet - I'll probably wait until I get the DVD. Usually even then I'm so caught up in the movie that I usually forget to look.

On the DVD, they should include a multiple choice easter egg game where you have to pick what egg was hidden in a particular scene.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:45 PM   #85
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

I love reading about bloopers, and have spotted a few, but they have never ruined my enjoyment. In fact, they have added to it. I just find it fun to think about the filming, and the fact that they made some mistakes, and think, oh, this is so cool!
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:30 PM   #86
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Letting miniscule glitches and nearly unnoticeable continuity flaws ruin your enjoyment of the movie is like standing in the middle of Lothlórien and complaining about one or two stray weeds.
LOL, I like the comparison!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:10 PM   #87
Masderanoe
Enting

Did anyone notice the ashnaz timba took in the council of elrond.

Smiley people are happy when they make smileys.
Masderanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 12:34 PM   #88
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

did anybody notice when the hobbits are running through farmer maggots field that in proportion to the corn they are human size?

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:42 AM   #89
Hrothgar
Hobbit

I just noticed this today, in the Moria Orc battle scene, Sting is glowing, but Glamdring is not

No one is without fault

Amo discere linguam Latinam, potero enim docere eam.

To see my face go hither
http://46728074.home.icq.com/personal.html
Hrothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 12:53 PM   #90
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

Omigoodness, I just freaked myself out! I was reading this thread, was about to wholeheartedly agree w/ the person who said this

"I love reading about bloopers, and have spotted a few, but they have never ruined my enjoyment. In fact, they have added to it. I just find it fun to think about the filming, and the fact that they made some mistakes, and think, oh, this is so cool!"

when I realized that *I* said that several months ago! How weird! *notices everyone looking at me strangely* Look, I haven't been here for a while, ok? FINE, I'll LEAVE!
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 07:28 AM   #91
Millane
The Dude

i was wondering about the exact same thing about glamdring not glowing in moria.
after you see sting turn blue and glamdring being drawn there is nothing. do you think that they just stuffed up or is there some explanation for it.
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:07 PM   #92
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Some things that I just noticed:

When Strider and Co. stop on their way to Rivendell after their encounter on Weathertop and meet Arwen, they stop next to 3 petrified trolls. I think that these are the ones from The Hobbit that they slipped in as an Easter Egg.

Another Egg that I need someone to help me verify: when the Nazgûl ride out of the gates of Minas Morgul, look on both sides of the gate. It seems that I saw two figures (one on either side) and they had swords and shields. My first impression is that it reminds me of the Argonath. I then realized that it makes since that it looks like the Argonath since Isildur and Anarion are depicted in the giant statues. And Minas Morgul was orginally Minas Ithil, controlled by the sons of Elendil before the Nazgûl came. So I think that they could be Isildur and Anarion. Am I making sense?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:17 PM   #93
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Another Egg that I need someone to help me verify: when the Nazgûl ride out of the gates of Minas Morgul, look on both sides of the gate. It seems that I saw two figures (one on either side) and they had swords and shields. My first impression is that it reminds me of the Argonath. I then realized that it makes since that it looks like the Argonath since Isildur and Anarion are depicted in the giant statues. And Minas Morgul was orginally Minas Ithil, controlled by the sons of Elendil before the Nazgûl came. So I think that they could be Isildur and Anarion. Am I making sense?
I don't own the DVD yet but I found I grainy pic of that scene on-line and I think you might be on to something. I'm sure someone else will be able to better verify this.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:51 PM   #94
entss89
lord of the ents

i dont know if anyone said this but as aragon was fighting a orc he killed it then it stood back up again and laid down as if not to be seen!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:04 AM   #95
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
I looked, but I didn't see the car in the background of that one scene. Exactly when does it appear?

Millane: Maybe they thought that glowing swords all throughout the battle would be distracting?

Where did you see that, entss89? It sounds like the orc didn't realize they were filming just then or something! I did notice that when he was fighting the Uruks near the Seat of Seeing, he got knocked down, and an orc fell on top of him (or the other way round)!

Did anyone else notice quite a few fingers go flying when Isildur cut the Ring off Sauron's hand? I have a movie card that shows right afterwards Sauron having only a thumb on his right hand, but didn't Gollum say," ...but on the Black Hand he has only *4*..." , or something like that?
I also noticed that in Bree, Strider had a COMPLETE sword. Wasn't he supposed to get it re-forged in RIVENDELL?

RB

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:44 AM   #96
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ringbearer
I looked, but I didn't see the car in the background of that one scene. Exactly when does it appear?

RB
It won't be on your DVD as they airbrushed it out. Whatever it was, and I don't know if I entirely believe that it was a car, was definately an oopsie.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ringbearer
I also noticed that in Bree, Strider had a COMPLETE sword. Wasn't he supposed to get it re-forged in RIVENDELL?

RB
The shards of narsil were in Rivendell, but Aragorn obviously had a different sword in the beginning of the movie - guess PJ didn't think it was sensible for him to wander around the countryside weaponless.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 10-08-2002 at 01:47 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:36 AM   #97
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
Ahhhhh....

What about: In Bree, Pippin goes to get a drink. Merry is by the wall and Pippin is sitting on his other side, but when Frodo stops Butterbur, Merry is gone and Pippin is back in his seat!? Unless Merry and Pip both wear a green jacket.....?

Don't elves ride bareback? If so, then why did Legolas ride into Rivendell with a saddle AND bridle?

In 'Flight to the Ford' as a Wraith grabs for Frodo, he has some 'green' on his face, but in the next few scenes it is gone.

In Moria, Frodo is stabbed on HIS right side, but when Aragorn turns him over later, it is on the other side!

Have fun!

RB

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:49 PM   #98
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Here's my one screw up/blooper

In the scene that Arwen gives Aragorn the lil fairy necklace thingy, he touches it and then suddenly its in his hand. Do you think that she was supposed to hand it to him but it like accidently didnt get filmed or something?

All my friends have seen the car. I havent tho.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:09 PM   #99
entss89
lord of the ents

the car is so awsome and i was watching my dvd and i still saw the car! strange!

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:34 AM   #100
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Firekitten2006
In the scene that Arwen gives Aragorn the lil fairy necklace thingy, he touches it and then suddenly its in his hand. Do you think that she was supposed to hand it to him but it like accidently didnt get filmed or something?
It's supposed to be that way. Didn't you notice Aragorn's gasp of surprise? That would be one hell of a mistake! Symbolic of her giving up her immortality or something.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote