Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-11-2002, 10:45 AM   #81
spidersbane
Hobbit

If you can actually use the English language in its proper form, which I sincerely doubt, then maybe the logic behind the ideas which you espouse in the Entmoot will not be lost in the immediate waves of revulsion which are evoked by the reading of your posts. I know other Entmooters feel as kindly to your insultingly moronic "shorthand" as do I. Good day to you as well.

Sorry, I am a little late on this, but I must say
Three cheers for Bropous!!
— Feanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
spidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:58 AM   #82
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Thanks for the attempt, andustar!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:53 PM   #83
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Another favorite

well I just can't seem to stop myself... So here

"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise."

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:44 PM   #84
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Well there are so many quotes that I like. The whole end of Moria for example but here is my fav Bored of the Rings quote:

"Peoples of the West! The battle before the Black Gate of Sorhead will be few against many; but the few are of pure heart and the many of filthy. Nevertheless those of you who wish to cringe and run from the fight may do so to quicken our pace. Those who still ride with the king of Twodor will live forever in song and legend! The rest may go."
It is said that the dust cloud did not settle for many days after.

Had me in stiches but maby the purists will not be amused.
Ah well I can't be bothered right now to find any more quotes from the big book.
Happy quote hunting form this EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO
luv
Play Girl

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 01:57 PM   #85
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Okay, another hilarious, albeit, irreverent quote from "Bored of the Rings."

Background: In the town of Whee, at the inn "Goode Eats and Lodging", Frito Bugger and his companions are being menaced by all nine Nozdrul, disguised as waitresses, dressed in fake pig ears, pig snouts and tails, as they search him for the Ring. Stomper, the [Lone] Ranger, has just dived bravely under the table:

"Okay, chipmunk, give!" hissed the evil one, drawing his huge black mace. "I said-yeeeeeowtch!" cried the Nozdrul in pain, simultaneously letting go of Frito and jumping straight up in the air. From below the table rose a sharp, barbed blade. Stomper leaped up.

"Oh Dragonbreth! Gilthorpial!" he yodeled, waving his cleaver around like a madman. He lunged at the nearest wraith with his unwieldly sword. "Banzai!" he screamed. "No quarter asked or given! Dam* the torpedoes" Taking a vicious swipe, Stomper missed his mark by a good yard and tripped on his scabbard.

The nine stared at the writhing, foaming maniac with round, red eyes. The sight of Stomper filled them with awe. They stood speechless. Suddenly one of the stunned creatures began to titter, then chuckle. Another guffawed. Two more joined in, chortling loudly, and finally all nine were in the throes of hysterical, side-aching laughter. Stomper, puffing and enraged, stood up and tripped on his cape, spilling his silver bullets all over the floor. The whole dining room roared with unbelieving hilarity. Two Nozdrul collapsed to the ground, helplessly giggling. Others staggered about, great red tears rolling down their scaly cheeks, gasping for air and incapable of holding their maces. Haw haw haw! Stomper got to his feet, his face beet-red with anger. He lifted his sword, and the blade fell off the handle. Haw haw haw haw haw! the Nozdrul rolled and writhed on the ground, clutching their ribs. Stomper replaced the blade, took a mighty wind-up, and firly embedded the point in the cement pig. HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW....

At this point, seeing that no one was paying any attention to him, Frito picked up one of the heavy, discarded maces and calmly proceeded to beat some heads in. Moxie, Spam, and Pepsi followed his example and went among the gibbering wraiths administering random kicks to groins and breadbaskets..."

Oh come on, you GOTTA admit this is funnier than heck! You have to read this one if you haven't already, O Tolkien Fans...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:04 PM   #86
Churl
Elven Warrior

How about this, from The Fellowship of the Rings, Book I, Chapter 2 (The Shadow of the Past):
_____
"Queer things you do hear these days, to be sure," said Sam.

"Ah," said Ted, "you do, if you listen. But I can hear fireside-tales and children's stories at home, if I want to."

"No doubt you can," retorted Sam, "and I daresay there's more truth in some of them than you reckon. Who invented the stories anyway? Take dragons now."

"No thank 'ee," said Ted, "I won't."
_____

Despite the rotten weasel he becomes, Ted's response always cracks me up.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:01 PM   #87
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

another quote that had me in stiches form Board of the Rings:

The scene: Dildos birthday party

"I have lived in Boggietown, as you all know, for most of my life, and I have developed opinions of you all, and before I leave you all for the last time, I want to let you all know what you all mean to me." The croud yelled approval, thinking it was now time for Dildo to distribute the expected gifts among them. But what followed suprised even Frito, who looked at his uncle with shocked admiration. He had dropped his pants.

Hillarious!
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:43 PM   #88
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Here's my choice, from "THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING," book two, chapter 6-"LOTHLÓRIEN."

At the hill's foot Frodo found Aragorn, standing still and silent as a tree; but in his hand was a small golden bloom of elanor,and a light was in his eyes. He was wrapped in some fair memory: and as Frodo looked at him he knew that he beheld things as they once had been in this same place. For the grim years were removed from the face of Aragorn, and he seemed clothed in white, a young lord tall and fair; and he spoke words in the Elvish tongue to one whom Frodo could not see. 'Arwen vanimelda, namarië!' he said, and then he drew a breath, and returning out of his thought he looked at Frodo and smiled.
'Here is the heart of Elvendom on earth,' he said, 'and here my heart dwells ever, unless there be a light beyond the dark roads that we still must tread, you and I. Come with me!" And taking Frodo's hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and came there never again as a living man.

Last edited by ragamuffin92 : 01-26-2002 at 01:18 PM.
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:42 AM   #89
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

ok so this isn't technically a quote, but i love this sentence:

The naked waste, as far as the eye could pierce, even to the distant menace of the mountains, was dappled with the fitful moonlight.

i guess that's the good thing about being a slow reader (and trust me, the benefits are few!) - i find that i pick up on some of tolkien's more "floral" sentences

and also this is one of my favourite speeches from the books:

Quote:
'For myself,' said Faramir, 'I would see the White Tree in flower again courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise."
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:40 AM   #90
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

This is my favorite passage from "Bored"
"...a song whose maker had lived before the dawn of Lower Middle Earth. It began:
Heigh-ho, heigh-ho,
It's off to work we go,
Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, heigh-ho, heigh-ho,
Heigh-ho, heigh-ho...

"Good! Good!" yipped Moxie.
"Yes, good! Especially the 'heigh-ho' part'" added Pepsi.
"And what do you be callin' that?" asked Spam, who knew few songs.
"I call it 'Heigh-ho,'' said Frito.
But he was not cheered by it.
Soon it began to rain and they all caught colds.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
Old 01-15-2002, 03:01 PM   #91
Elfstone.
Hobbit

Aragorn lookin into Sauron

Oh yes its my signature quote when Aragorn looks into the Palantir holding the legendary blade Anduril reforged and the Dark Lord Sauron is scared, BOUYAH Dark Lord Aragorn is alive ah yes!

Elfstone
"Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him."

- When Aragorn son of Arathorn looks Sauron straight in the eyes and Sauron cowers.

Anduril flaming in my right hand.
The Palantir's blue eminating glow in my left hand.
3500 Year's of Kingly Numenorean bloodline flowing through my veins.
Who's your Tyler Durden, now?

Christ Reigns.

Romans 10:9
Ephesians 6
Psalm 91
Elfstone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 05:17 PM   #92
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, Elfstone.

Another irreverent quote from that hilarious parody, "Bored of the Rings":

"...But the craft Riders were not long deceived by Frito's ruse. They spurred their drooling swine to the bridge, intent on recapturing the boggie and his precious Ring. But, as Frito saw with surprise, the Black Nine were halted at the foot of the crossing by a figure robed in shining raiment.

"Toll, please," commanded the figure of the startled Riders. the pursuers were again dumfounded when they were directed to a hatily lettered sign tacked to a support:

Elfboro Municipal Toll Bridge
Single Wayfarers..................1 farthing
Double-Axled Haywains........2 farthings
Black Riders..........................45 gold pieces

"Let us cross!" snapped an angry Nozdrul.

"Certainly," replied the attendant pleasantly. "Now let's see. there's one, two ... ah, nine of you at forty-five apiece, that makes .... uuuuuhh, four hundred and five beans, exactly, please. In cash."

Hurriedly, the Nozdrul searched their saddlebags as their leader cursed angrily and shook his slugger with frustration.

"Listen," he stormed, "what kind of dough do you think we make, anyhow? Ain't there some sorta discount for civil servants?"

"I'm sorry-----" smiled the attendant.

"How 'bout a Wayfarer's Letter of Credit? They're as good as bullion anywhere."

"Sorry, this is a bridge, not a countinghouse," replied the figure impassively.

"My personal check? It's backed up by the treasure rooms of Fordor..."

Heck, this is better than Peter Jackson's script!!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 05:23 PM   #93
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Okay, okay.....more "Bored":

"Farewell, farewell," said Orlon impatiently.
"Excelsior," cried Bromosel, blowing a fierce blast on his duck whistle.
"Sayonara," said Orlon. "Aloha. Avaunt. Arroint."
"Kodak khaki no-doz," cried Gimlet.
"A dristan nasograph," shouted Legolam.
"Habeas corpus," said Goodgulf, waving his wand.
"I have to go poo-poo," said Pepsi.
"So do I," said Moxie.
"I'd like ta poo-poo the both of ye," said Spam, reaching for a rock.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:44 PM   #94
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

ok... where do I get Bored of the Rings?
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:45 PM   #95
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Try this link (Amazon.com) for "Bored: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...419685-5142241
Are you aware that Menelvagor is a Middle Earth name for an actual constellation that can be seen every winter's night in the northern hemisphere? (The REAL WORLD invades a fantasy one here). It was Prof Tolkien's made-up name for Orion

Old 01-16-2002, 12:02 AM   #96
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
My favorite quote would have t o be my sig. I looked as befuddled as the hobbits the first time I heard bilbo say it in the movie, and laughed at their expression the second time.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:57 AM   #97
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

ragamuffin:

i was under the impression that all of the constellations that varda created were all actual constellations? after all, the world may have changes, but it takes billions of years for stars to change. i wonder what the southern cross is in middle earth... although i thought carnil (the red star) and luinil (the blue star... gosh that name sounds familiar!) were both planets (mars and venus?). i'm not too informed on astrology so maybe someone who knows could clear it up... or maybe i should start a thread on it. *shrug*
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:43 AM   #98
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

To Luinilwen

I wonder if Professor T even named the Southern Cross, since he referred to the south as a place where "the stars are strange." NOT the people, just the stars.
You could very well be correct about the other constellations being real. The only other one I recall off-hand that the author mentioned was the sickle. (Sorry about the lousy sentence construction). Stars DO change relative position, but very slowly, even more slowly than ents age or hobbits get up from the table.
G'day, from Up Over.

Old 01-16-2002, 07:51 AM   #99
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by ragamuffin92
Are you aware that Menelvagor is a Middle Earth name for an actual constellation that can be seen every winter's night in the northern hemisphere? (The REAL WORLD invades a fantasy one here). It was Prof Tolkien's made-up name for Orion
Yes, that's why I picked it. I particularly love that scene where Frodo, Pippin and Sam meet Gildor (it brings our the hobbits' charaters so well) and Frodo watches Mevelvagor rise over the horizon.

My favorite quote from that scene:

"Well, sir, if I could grow apples like that, I would call myself a gardener. But it was the singing that went to my heart, if you know what I mean."

And later in Crickhollow:

"I don't deny it," said Frodo, looking at Sam who was now grinning. "I don't deny it, but I'll never believe you are sleeping again, wheter you snore or not. I shall kick you hard to make sure."
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:05 AM   #100
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

You're 100% right, Menelvagor. Little scenes like reveal an awful lot about the "fantasy" side of Middle Earth, and also elevate Samwise (in particular) from bumpkin status to someone who is a bit mystical himself. The inclusion of Orion and the Big Dipper/Sickle really struck a chord in my own heart, having been fascinated by astronomy since I was a kid. It enabled me to make some kind of emotional connection to the inhabitants of Middle Earth in a tangible way.