Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2002, 02:25 AM   #81
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

That's why he is unlikeable. Sauron is an excellent example of a villian. Denethor is just weak-minded and flawed. His motives aren't evil but his influence is evil. At least you know where Sauron stands.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:30 AM   #82
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Hmm. Deja vu. I don't think Denethor's character can really be classified as villainous.... Flawed maybe, but not villainous.
It can be seen as both. His attempted murder of Faramir is certainly more than simply flawed. His thoughts were of Gondor and his position in Gondor, alone. In the context of the story this can be seen as villainous (though not irredeemably evil) esp. since he carried out these thoughts to their bitter conclusion. A villain is, of course, always flawed but because Denethor died without repentance I see him as more than just flawed: a villain. (Though, certainly of a lesser degree than Sauron).
Old 10-30-2002, 02:34 AM   #83
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
That's why he is unlikeable. Sauron is an excellent example of a villian. Denethor is just weak-minded and flawed. His motives aren't evil but his influence is evil. At least you know where Sauron stands.
Yeah, I'd go with that. It comes down to evil actions, not an evil character.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:39 AM   #84
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
I don't know if that makes much sense. You know where Denethor stands as much as Sauron. His motives are evil in the story (a desire for personal power that overrides reason). Rather, let us say, that Denethor is less likable because his motives are so petty; in the face of so much sacrifice by the heros of the tale. Denethor didn't have to do what he did, he knew better. His mind may have snapped at the end but that was mostly his fault.

Last edited by olsonm : 10-30-2002 at 02:41 AM.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:16 PM   #85
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

When did Gandalf ever die????
Then come back????

I don't like Aragorn SOMETIMES. But I really don't like Denether. he was weak and to proud. He also supported war alittle, Just a liitle to much.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:46 PM   #86
The Rip Designs Dude
Sapling

yeah Gandalf never died, his physical form was just destroyed
Old 11-01-2002, 06:57 PM   #87
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

Welcome to the moot TRDD. Hope you have fun.
Old 11-02-2002, 09:00 AM   #88
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Welcome TRDD.

I think mine would be Sam. I don't know why.... I didn't like him.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:56 PM   #89
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I think eveyone in the Fellowship was great, so i guess my least favourite character would have to be Arwen, but i'm not really sure why. I guess because she really just doesn't do anything but is still pretty important, i just didn't find her that interesting.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 10:26 PM   #90
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

I know Gandalf didn't really die, but as TRDD said, his physical form was destroyed. To me that just about counts as dying.
I've just watched way too much science-fiction.
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 10:29 PM   #91
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

My least favorite would have to be Gimli. I'm not really sure why but I just never really liked him that much.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:00 AM   #92
Dussander
Enting

That gay Legolas bothers the hell out of me..

Also I think most of you are missing the point, the topic is "of all the MAIN GOOD characters, who is your least favorite? not Out of every character in the book who is your least favorite?

Just thought I'd clear that up.

In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends - Martin Luther King Jr.

Do or do not, there is no 'try'. - Yoda

Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkeness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not - KJV. John 1:4-5
Dussander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 12:46 PM   #93
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Sam Gamgee

Hey, Boromir is in all the books. Can't you see his spirit behind those trees from time to time? I thought Tolkien clearly stated "There he was. A pearly white figure. Solemn and sad, silent as a long-forgotten forest. "Hark!" called Legolas. "For it is the ghost of Boromir!"

Just kidding. I made that up.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:43 PM   #94
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

And by main good characters, do you mean fellowship?

It's tough to pick out of the fellowship, they're all so cool! (I am removing all trace of the movie from my mind... mwa mwaaa there's was a movie made? Okay, on with the post...)

Lets try the process elimination.

Legolas and Gimli are awsome, them plus Aragorn really make the Two Towers for me, which is my favourite Tolkein book.

Aragorn and Gandalf... too cool for words, especially Gandalf.

Merry and Pippin make my TTT experience complete, as they are great.

Sam is do Hobbit! Frodo is a puzzle. Back to him later.

Boromir saved them all on Caradhras.

Okay, puzzling Frodo is my least [b]favourite[b]. He's still cool though!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:19 AM   #95
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Right so if i had to pick my least favourite, i totally agree with Nurvingiel, it would have to be frodo, which i guess is pretty bad, and its not like i really don't like him, but hes the least interesting.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 03:09 PM   #96
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Frodo

I don't dislike Frodo either. He's my least favourite only because I can't identify with him as well as I can with the other characters. I don't think he's boring at all though, I think he's one of the more developed characters in the Lord of the Rings.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 05:47 PM   #97
Bard
Hobbit

Tough question, but I think I could give an answer to it.
My least favorite main character would have to be Sam, he`s just so bloody ignoring with his stupid thoughts about most important things. It`s like sending some kindda unscooled peasant to solve a problem which could effect the lives of millions. Though he makes progress at the end of the book, and he`s the best supporting friend one could immagine, so therefore he isn`t that bad afterall.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 11:56 PM   #98
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

hey whats with putting down Tolkien's most unique charatcers. "hobbits" Well I guess I really never liked some of the hobbits. I don't like Gimli. only because he seeems, Well toooooo dwarfish for me. He likes to put out alot of pride when they first meet. He was a very good character though. He was described as kind and helpful.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:45 AM   #99
Asfaloth
Sapling

My least favourite Good character is definitely Gimli. But that's maybe because I don't like Dwarves. He never seems to have anything of interest to say, or any suggestions of what to do next.
Asfaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 05:20 PM   #100
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Bard
My least favorite main character would have to be Sam, he`s just so bloody ignoring with his stupid thoughts about most important things. It`s like sending some kindda unscooled peasant to solve a problem which could effect the lives of millions.
Well, that's what it was, isn't it?
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote