Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-27-2005, 01:39 PM   #81
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Here it goes, as I promised you, Lotesse :)

I was lucky and found an English description, so I don't have to bother with dictionaries and unique names of grapes so here it comes

Quote:
The Villány Wine Region
Area: 1,892 ha
Climate: Like the Mecsekalja wine region, Villány’s climate is sub-
Mediterranean, warm, quite dry, and with a relatively long growing season.
In terms of heat sum and light, it is one of Hungary’s best endowed
wine regions. The warmth of the slopes protected on several sides is
intensified by warm air from the Mediterranean.
Soil: Mainly loess and red clay, occasionally Triassic dolomite, limestone
and Jura limestone mixed with loess.
Recommended grape varieties: Chardonnay, Hárslevelû
(Linden leaf), Italian Riesling, Muscat Ottonel, Pinot blanc, Rhine
Riesling, Sauvignon blanc, Tramini, Cabernet franc, Cabernet sauvignon,
Kékfrankos (Blaufränkisch), Kékoportó (Blauer Portugieser), Merlot,
Pinot noir.
Description: Some sources suggest viticulture in this area can be
traced back to the Celts, but it certainly goes back to Roman times.
Following the Mongol invasion of Hungary in 1241-42, vines were mainly
cultivated near castles (in this particular wine region in Siklós and
Szársomlyó). This is supported by the deed of foundation of the
Szársomlyó castle in 1247, in which King Bela IV mentions the vineyards
of Harsány.
Under Turkish rule Villány was totally destroyed, but vinegrowing did
not stop as people from neighbouring villages carried on cultivating
some of the vines of Villány. The Turks resettled the ruined village with
a Slav and Serb population, who brought the variety Kadarka as well as
the technology of making red wine by fermentation on the skins. After
the victory at the battle of Nagyharsány in 1687, a new influx of Serbs
settled here.
From the end of the 17th century the depleted Hungarian population
was gradually and systematically supplemented mainly by Germanspeaking
people. They brought with them the "Portugieser"
(Kékoportó or Blue Oporto) grape variety. Rows of cellars were built
near the villages. The reputation of Villány wine grew steadily and it
soon became an important export product.
As elsewhere, phylloxera devastated the vines of the region.
Traditional varieties are Kadarka, Kékoportó and Kékfrankos, and following
the phylloxera disaster, the French varieties Cabernet franc,
Cabernet sauvignon and Merlot were introduced here. In the Villány
area red wines predominate, while in the Siklós area mainly white wines
are made.
Here's a map - the route of the wine tour

A pic of Kékoportó (Blue Portuguese) grape...

And some labels I found...

Hope this will do
Old 09-27-2005, 03:58 PM   #82
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Thank you so much, littleadanel!!! Wonderful addition to the wine thread!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #83
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Ciao, tutti! Well, i bought this wine yesterday evening and had it with prime rib and green beans with roasted red bell peppers, and it was a great match, and a lot of fun to drink. I was in kind of a hurry when I bought it, but - get this, in addition to the fact that I was looking for a medium-bodied young Languedoc region french red, this label REALLY sold me on it - Earniel, do you read this thread? I thought of you when I bought it! The CUTEST label i've seen in a while, and so well priced, too! Arrogant Frog Ribet Red!

Here's what Jean Michel Deluc of Chateau Online had to say about Arrogant Frog:

"A wine or a new ‘concept'…up to you to decide. Jean Claude Mas reveals an innovative side to an estate that's rather traditional in outlook – in any case it's unmistakably an easy-to-enjoy wine. This Vin de Pays d'Oc is seductive both in the nose and on the palate. A wine to sip among friends, perfect for barbecues, a wine to share. No need to think very deeply, or ponder over its aromatic properties or structure. A modern, anti-conformist wine perfect for summer! Chill out! Have a drink! (March 2005) "

Description
Arrogant Frog was born in the Languedoc region of France. It's a wine proud of its Mediterranean origins, and determined to show off its superiority. Arrogant Frog offers Arrogant Quality and Arrogant Pricing. In short, it is exceptional quality for the price and bound to impress you! This Frog is typically French, but leaps out of the glass with New World attitude and style. Deep purple in colour with intense, fruit-driven aromas and a seductively silky palate, its quality is preserved with a dependable screwcap, ensuring that you enjoy a great glass of wine every time. Arrogant Frog is produced on the sunny hills of the Languedoc between the Mediterranean sea and the Hérault valley by the Humble Winemaker. Theses vineyards planted first by the Greeks 500 years before Christ are ready to demonstrate that their in spite of their age they are not ready to die against some “new worldish…” trendy vineyards!

Old 12-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #84
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

'arrogant frog'!!!

what an amazing name ...

a french wine ..but marketed outside of france, ne' pas???
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:34 AM   #85
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
a french wine ..but marketed outside of france, ne' pas???
There are several wines that are solely meant for export. There is a Corsican rosé wine, Alba Rosa, of which the text on the bottle is in (IIRC) Corsican, Dutch and English, but not French.

Incidentally, Alba Rosa is also a very good wine. I normally don't drink alcohol, but this is one I actually like. It's not too heavy and rather sweet. It is also a relatively new wine, I believe the first bottles were sold in 2004.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #86
inked
Elf Lord

I apologize fo intruding into the wine section, but there is this beautifully described English cheese which I feel you all would appreciate, what with being connesiuers and all.

http://www.teddingtoncheese.co.uk/acatalog/de339.htm

Imagine, something that smells so bad even the French ban it in public! I am shocked, simply shocked.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:49 PM   #87
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Ciao, tutti!! Well, here it comes, New Year's Eve - a time to celebrate with Champagne! So, I thought i'd give you my favourite cost-efficient Champagne pick, for all you out there wanting to buy Champagne to celebrate this New Year's Eve with:

Moet & Chandon White Star - $30

winemaker's notes:

Moët & Chandon White Star is the #1 champagne in the U.S. It has soft aromas of peach and a crisp, refreshing finish. It is the perfect champagne to celebrate all of life’s unique moments.

wine.com notes:

The Moet & Chandon team of winemakers has always held a distinctive belief: Guide nature, do not force it. This enduring philosophy -- as well as undisclosed blending secrets -- allows them to transform the Champagne region's unique grapes, soil, and microclimates into the world's most famous celebration wine. Beautiful golden-yellow color with amber reflections, and a bouquet of fresh cut flowers and hazelnut, smooth and peachy on the end palate.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #88
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Aussie Meritage blends...

This one - this is so yummy, so perfect for rainy afternoons and to go with stew and sandwiches...

Old 03-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #89
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Shiraz

Shiraz, besides being known as the poetic capital of Persia, is also the name of a lovely little grape varietal grown exclusively in Australia. It is the most widely planted varietal there, constituting 40% of all the grape crops grown for wine. That is to say, Australia is where they call the Syrah varietal Shiraz; don't ask me why. It's a fantastic grape, though, and makes fantastic wines of course. I guess I should say "the bomb," it would be more in keeping with my expressory style!! Australian Shiraz regions of note: The Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale of course, where some of my very favourite Penfold's stuff comes from, and The Hunter Valley.

Hey, check out this little article I found about high school kids making a world-class shiraz:

STUDENT WINEMAKERS: How could a bunch of high school kids produce a wine so outstanding that it dazzled even critic Robert M. Parker, Jr.? The story is almost as good as the wine. About 10 years ago, in Australia's Barossa Valley, Nuriootpa High School teacher Kevin Hoskin and a small group of students made one barrel of Shiraz. They seemed to know what they were doing: Parker awarded their 1998 Barossa Class Shiraz 94 points out of 100. Today, in a tin shed at the school, Hoskin oversees about 50 students each semester as they crush 12 tons of grapes to produce 8,000 bottles of Shiraz, Chardonnay and port. The Shirazes are the stars; the 2001 Barossa Class is now available in limited quantities ($45 from the Grateful Palate; 888-472-5283).

I'd provide you guys a photo of the bottle but I cannot seem to be able to track one down.

Here's a cool label, a Ralph Steadman -

Old 03-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #90
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I've yet to taste an Australian Shiraz that didn't make me feel like I was being slapped in the face with fruit. I really prefer old world vs new world wine, I guess. I'll take a de la Nerthe from Chateauneuf du Pape, thankyouverymuch. The best Syrah imho comes from the Rhone, with a handful of Cali vineyards producing passable versions, although I'm not fond of 100% Syrah. Would really rather drink the classic Syrah/Grenache/Mourvedre blend.

Here's a link with some info on Rhone wine: http://www.thewinedoctor.com/regionalguides/rhone.shtml
Old 03-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #91
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

HASTY ENT!! So glad you stopped by; I have missed you! Re: syrah/grenache/mourvedre blends, a.k.a. Rhone varietals, have you become at all familiar with some of the California Central Coast Rhone varietals? Alban Vineyards - John Alban is consistently outstanding in this field, no pun intended and I noticed lately when I picked up a copy of Wine Spectator a couple weeks ago, I noticed he's getting all KINDS of high marks lately. There's a few excellent Rhone wines coming out of Central California lately, actually, over the last five years especially. By Central California I mean Paso Robles, Edna Valley and Santa Barbara.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #92
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

yep, I've had Alban wine, and was lucky enough to meet Brian Talley of Talley Vineyards many years ago -- I'm familiar with the region... Bonny Doon makes a decent Rhone copycat: Old Telegraph -- their tribute to Vieux Telegraphe, I think (my spelling is prolly wrong there)... I've had some killer Viognier from the Central Coast, too

still, in my experience true Rhones (by that I mean from France) are leaner and more elegant, better balanced overall... there seems to be a tendency in new world wines to be really fruit forward :shrug:
Old 03-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #93
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

forgot about Le Cigare Volant, another Bonny Doon wine... and I meant Old Telegram, not Old Telegraph :blush:

another decent wine is Le Mistral by Joseph Phelps (Napa, but I believe they get the grapes for this wine from the Monterey area)
Old 03-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #94
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

still, end of the day, given the choice of a Beaucastel or a Penfold's or Le Mistral... I'll take the Beaucastel every time :shrug:
Old 03-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #95
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Can you recommend a Beaucastel bottle within the $10 - 40 range for us - especially moi, to go buy & taste? Please, s'il te plait? Because I'll go out and pick one up straightaway tomorrow, for tomorrow night, but I need a few recommendations.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #96
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty Ent
yep, I've had Alban wine, and was lucky enough to meet Brian Talley of Talley Vineyards many years ago -- I'm familiar with the region... Bonny Doon makes a decent Rhone copycat: Old Telegraph -- their tribute to Vieux Telegraphe, I think (my spelling is prolly wrong there)... I've had some killer Viognier from the Central Coast, too

still, in my experience true Rhones (by that I mean from France) are leaner and more elegant, better balanced overall... there seems to be a tendency in new world wines to be really fruit forward :shrug:
Didn't we talk brielfly about Brian Talley before? I know him, too! Or was it Steve Rasmussen we spoke of, can't remember. I personally believe that John Alban makes the best, very best American Viognier available, and he always has, since I first met him when he & his wife first established Alban Vineyards. His viognier made me a lifetime addict.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #97
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I have the Wine Spec right here now; it's the Jan - Feb The Ultimate Buying Guide issue, and Alban's Viognier Edna Vally got a 90 rating; so cool! He's finally getting the props he so richly deserves, for his amazing viognier. 90 is a pretty enviable score from these snobs, for real.

Here's that article I was talking about, which listed the high school in Australia making that Shiraz. This is a very informative, good article from Food & Wine magazine.

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/...s-we-love-wine

Last edited by Lotesse : 03-13-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #98
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Coudoulet de Beaucastel is cheaper than the stuff from the Chateau... try that maybe.... just saw Coudoulet de Beaucastel Cotes-du-Rhone, Rouge 2002 at a local wine merchant for 25 dollars... some tasting notes here: http://www.wineanorak.com/beaucastel_vertical.htm and here (along with interesting background on Beaucastel): http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tasting...aucastel.shtml

a good producer is Guigal, they have plenty under 20... another producer I trust is Chapoutier

one of my favorites from Chateauneuf du Pape is Chateau de la Nerthe, but not sure it's avail for less than 50... just did a quick search and couldn't even find it locally... it's been years since I've had it...

these are all from the Southern Rhone, a different area stylistically from Northern Rhone (although I'll never say "no" to anyone offering me some Hermitage )
Old 03-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #99
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

btw, your memory is intact, Lotesse... we did speak of Brian Talley before somewhere in this thread, and possibly Rasmussen, too
Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #100
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Ahh, thank you thank you for the recommendations, Hasty Ent! I'll take this list down & seek a bottle out tomorrow afternoon, when I go dinner-grocery shopping.