Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #81
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

why would you see a flag???

(sure, world cup, maybe ... butr why the obsession with a flag????)

and Nurv - it's an ok flag (the U.S) - but artistically nothing special - neither is the (once) union Jack -
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #82
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Gaffer?

wee Archie Gemmill???

sod ye flag - a wee f'in legend!

DCFC!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #83
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Immortalised in dance: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1241534.stm
DCFC??
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #84
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
OK, this occurred after a bit of discussion on the pledge of allegiance thread er I mean US Presidential thread.

I've been to the States a couple of times now, NY and Chicago, and one thing that really struck me was the flag: it's everywhere. Literally. At one stage we were driving through Long Island (not noted as a, er, redneck neighbourhood as far as I know), and the gammer and I had a contest to see who would be the first to not be able to see a Stars and Stripes somewhere (on other cars, on billboards, signs, houses, etc etc etc).

Now, I loved it there. People were very friendly and wandering the streets of Manhattan at midnight on a Saturday felt safer than the centre of Oxford.

But I wonder what's with all that flag worship? Obviously other countries have flags too, but none that I've been to have anything like the visibility of the Stars & Stripes.

Any comments?
IIRC, Gaffer, your trip was a few years ago, right? IOW, it was closer to 9/11, and after 9/11 the flags came out right and left. I think people felt that it brought us together in our grief. They are gradually going down again.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:59 AM   #85
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Location: Confusion Lane, on the back of a dragon, or on horseback.
I agree that America should not be insulted by someone saying that it has no culture. Just look, we have culture from everywhere on this planet, everywhere where we have someone living here that is from a different place. Not only that, but look at the Native Americans! They have culture too, not to be left out. Though people may not celebrate their culture as much as they would where they came from, it is still there.
***____
***____
_______ patriotic,huh? kinda cool, Iv never tried doing stuff w/the star/underscore. pretty cool...
Rian, I have 7 horses, and I saw you liked them. Do you have any?
Not trying to be pokey. You don't have to answer if you get this and don't want to. Thanks
elven dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #86
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I dont know that the native americans would agree that our culture is their culture considering we tried to annihilate their culture for centuries before finally wizening up and embracing it in a living museum kind of way. But I dont think the average american thinks of their culture as say Sioux of Black Foot or Mohawk.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #87
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

i think Dragonrider was being inclusively retrospective, and also embracing the many modern day cultures in the mix, Insidious

as has been mentioned, a whole vast and hugely influential cutlure in music - jazz, blues, RnB, rock and roll - (punk's british - you can get yer thievin' hands orf! ) ... Brittney

so much art, literature and true, film.

The perception may be at odds with the reality here, mainly because the US is mainly seen ,and, indeed, in terms of numbers and positioning, is the culture of mass culture rather than the traditionally viewed / percieved cultural elitism, that so many here seem to prescibe to the meaning of the word.

For the music alone, i say Vive! American culture!

my thanks, and my appreciation.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 02-21-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typos - culture rather than cutlery etc
Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #88
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

When I was in the UK,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
i think Dragonrider was being inclusively retrospective, and also embracing the many modern day cultures in the mix, Insidious

as has been mentioned, a whole vast and hugely influential cutlure in music - jazz, blues, RnB, rock and roll - (punk's british - you can get yer thievin' hands orf! ) ... Brittney

so much art, literature and true, film.

The perception may be at odds with the reality here, mainly because the US is mainly seen ,and, indeed, in terms of numbers and positioning, is the culture of mass culture rather than the traditionally viewed / percieved cultural elitism, that so many here seem to prescibe to the meaning of the word.

For the music alone, i say Vive! American culture!

my thanks, and my appreciation.
I was a victim of British (particularly) perception of American Culture. I was coming, at that time, from "Upstate" New York...about 6 hours from NYC. Nevertheless, "Dirty Harry" was the original source of anyone's view of my little farm. And as an American in general, I was a member of the cast of Dynasty.

My understanding of the realities of life there wasn't much better, sad to say. I visited places I'd heard of in Nursery rhymes, and probably expected Mary Poppins in London. I was fortunate to spend enough time to get to learn to appreciate it on its own terms, I think. And to talk to enough people that I could explain that the US DID have an anti-war movement (won't say which war. ) and people who camped and bought groceries instead of staying in 4 star hotels.
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #89
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Nam?

*imagines Earl as a hard eyed, long legged, diamond emblazoned, gun-toting blonde in furs with texan accent ...*

*Kiss*

xx

*oops -sorry, i mean, BB tips his bowler hat, raises his umbrella and walks bizarrely off into a pub in a pinstiped suit ...*

Last edited by Butterbeer : 02-23-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #90
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elven dragonrider
Rian, I have 7 horses, and I saw you liked them. Do you have any?
I'm insanely jealous of you!!!
I don't have any now, but some day, some day ... *goes off wishfully thinking*

I used to train and show Quarter Horses, though. What kind/s of horses to you have?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #91
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
*oops -sorry, i mean, BB tips his bowler hat, raises his umbrella and walks bizarrely off into a pub in a pinstiped suit ...*
Ha ha!! I can count on one hand the number of times Ive literally laughed out loud from a response on this board in all my years here. Add that one to the collection...

(For a pint of bitter and some fish and chips no doubt... Or perhaps a spot of tea?)

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote