Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2005, 11:42 AM   #81
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
By the way, about the Israeli and Palestinian conflict, I just read on Wikipedia that the Peel Commission was rejected by both the Arabs and the Zionist Congress.
I don't think it really matters. I was just saying the Arabs didn't want more land - they wanted all the jews out, and I think it proves it. Plus, Wikipedia says "The Arab leadership rejected the plan, while the Jewish opinion remained heatedly divided", which is also important IMO, when the leading party in Israel supported the plan and therefore it could have probably passed whether the congress approved or not.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #82
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

An important and positive deal has been worked out in Palestine. Good news, for sure .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4437936.stm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
Israeli and Palestinian officials have reached an agreement to reopen Gaza's border crossings with Israel and Egypt, Condoleezza Rice has said.
The US secretary of state said the Rafah crossing should open on 25 November, marking the first time the Palestinians will control a border.

Opening the border is seen as key for Gaza's economy and Palestinian exports, including short-lived foodstuffs.

Ms Rice had extended her Middle East visit to help nail down the agreement.

It will allow Palestinians to travel in bus convoys between Gaza and the West Bank starting in a month, and in lorry convoys a month after that.

Its other provisions include:

Beginning construction of a sea port for Gaza, and further discussions about an airport
Allowing the urgent export from Gaza of all the agricultural produce of the 2005 harvest
The reduction of obstacles to movement in the West Bank, which Israel still controls.
The deal also includes video surveillance of the Rafah crossing to Egypt by a joint EU-Palestinian team.

Israel will have access to the video via the Europeans, but will not have veto power over individuals moving through Rafah, as it had wanted.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #83
inked
Elf Lord

Of interest and related ...

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...=1138622572920

(teaser)
"The former archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey, told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday he was "ashamed to be an Anglican" following Monday's vote by the Church of England to disinvest from companies whose products are used by the Israeli government in the territories. "

Wonder if they'll do the same to Hamas and Iraq etc.?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #84
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Wow! Thanks for that...I'd no idea UK was suddenly anti-Israeli.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #85
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Every time I see the title of this thread, I get a visual of Israel and Palestine in bed together, making love, and Israel remembering to "pull out" before accidentally getting Palestine pregnant. Is that bad?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #86
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Maybe subconciously you think that the Palastinians are being screwed by Israel.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #87
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Every time I see the title of this thread, I get a visual of Israel and Palestine in bed together, making love, and Israel remembering to "pull out" before accidentally getting Palestine pregnant. Is that bad?
I don't know if it's bad or not, but I get the same picture ....

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #88
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

You two REALLY need to take some time off.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #89
inked
Elf Lord

Not statistically worthwhile, either, ladies.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #90
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I saw you posted here, inked, and I was going to make some comment like that ... but you beat me to it!
You should know!

ah well ... you guys will never know the joys of pregnancy and childbirth! (I'll never forget that nurse telling me to push - I felt like yelling back at her, "No, I think I'll just stop and have tea instead!" or something like that)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote