Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2003, 01:52 AM   #81
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

To real guests: I'd like to encourage guests to register and post as well. In my opinion, we need some more 'Moot addicts (Not necessarily spammers, though ) - more fresh 'faces', please!

Such a shame that all the records break when it's 5 in the morning here. Perhaps I should just not sleep at all.

Re: The "hackers"- there are less online now, but they are still doing odd things. One is reporting a post (maybe not so strange), one 'moderating duties' and one has been reading the same thread for a while. (Bear in mind that this thread, I think, has two posts in it- each with about a sentence)- who knows, maybe they left the window open. *shrug*

Last edited by Linaewen : 07-04-2003 at 04:40 AM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:24 AM   #82
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Entmoot is under attack by suspicious bots They are still here - they left for a few hours then came back. Only about 5 or 6 on now though.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:32 AM   #83
Baby-K
Corruptor

Well, I just want to thank those bots for finally giving BMilder something to post about
Old 07-04-2003, 04:43 AM   #84
HOBBIT

the whole thing is just very odd - now more guests from that inkotome place or however it is spelled and now like 4 from this base ip : "wall.soneralink.com"

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 07-04-2003, 04:53 AM   #85
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

4 is not much compared to the 40-something (or whatever) they had this morning. (Night for you)

Admins, are there actually any post reports? I've been looking at 'Who's Online' and there are a number of posts being reported. Supposedly.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 04:54 AM   #86
Thorunn
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Hi Thorunn, that's a beautiful avatar!
Thanx a lot
Thorunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:55 PM   #87
HOBBIT

yeah, there are only 4 from "inktomisearch.com" edit - there are now 6 five minutes after I said that.
There are other guests on and they look like bots too
"robot.szukacz.pl"

Don't you think it odd that after a day the bots from the same site are still here?

Yes, at least it is not over 40 - I was there when they were all here.

Guests cannot report posts, quote posts, edit posts, or do moderating duties. They are just on those pages so Who's Online says they are doing that. It looks like whoever the guests are, they have gone through the whole board practically.

We have not recieved any reported posts from guests, and we won't. No guest from that site has registered either - with good reason if they are bots.

Probably nothing to worry about - guests are shown as doing weird things all the time. It is nothing new. What is weird is that a lot of guests from the same isp have been here for over a day and won't go away.

Old 07-04-2003, 04:01 PM   #88
Bunnie_Queen_1146
90% angel

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen

Re: The "hackers"- there are less online now, but they are still doing odd things. One is reporting a post (maybe not so strange), one 'moderating duties' and one has been reading the same thread for a while. (Bear in mind that this thread, I think, has two posts in it- each with about a sentence)- who knows, maybe they left the window open. *shrug* [/B]

yeah when i was looking at the whos online board someone was doing moderating duties i think somethings getting really scary
HELP!
/Back when a hoe was a hoe/Coke was a coke/And crack's what you were doing/When you were cracking jokes/Back when a screw was a screw/The wind was all that blew/And when you said I'm down with that Well it meant you had the flu/I miss back when
Bunnie_Queen_1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:52 AM   #89
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
*gets voice of girl on The Poltergeist* They're baaaack!

right now there's 42....and only one was doing mod duties! lol

Its really kinda interesting....of course it could also be sad that we're getting kinda excited/worried about a bunch of bots/hackers/whatever was decided they are...oh well
Old 07-05-2003, 06:51 AM   #90
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Now they're 50 guests. Will they come back day after day?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:00 AM   #91
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

It's happening on a few other message boards as well, a board I frequent has stopped guests browsing the threads.......until the interlopers get bored trying to gather info.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #92
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Maybe I'll change the title of this thread to "Dear fake guests... F*ck You!"?
Old 07-05-2003, 09:59 AM   #93
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Maybe I'll change the title of this thread to "Dear fake guests... F*ck You!"?
BWAHAAAHHHAAAHAHAHA!!!!
Goodness! tisk, tisk...
[sarchasm]never seen you act so unladylike.[/sarchasm]
And so, I think I'll join you, Lizra...
........................."Dear fake guests... F*ck You!"
.................................................. ............................ROFLMAO!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:03 AM   #94
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, I keep thinking of Entmoot (and/or my home system) getting corrupted Sunday! I hope "The Savior of Entmoot" (HOBBIT) is ready to ride again!
Old 07-05-2003, 12:12 PM   #95
Ben
Retired Ent

Disturbing. This is happening on other message boards? If so, either those are also being softened up for an attack, or some benign bot is going haywire.

I've sent a notice to F5Hosting to let them know about the situation. Hopefully they can keep an eye on it. We may consider closing down the 'Moot on Sunday "just in case."

*edit*
The amazingly quick customer service has given me this response:

Quote:
It sounds like you are being spidered by Inktomi. It doesn't matter what WOL says. The spiders will try all sorts of links and WOL will show them as accessing those pages. But, they will only be getting a no permission page if they are somewhere a "guest" wouldn't have access.

robots.txt can be set up to prevent spiders from going into certain directories and files. I'll see if I can whip one up for you that works.

I don't think this is related to tomorrow's attack. The script kiddies are being very quiet preparing for this one. I'm doing everything possible to prevent intrusion. If somebody really skilled really wants to get you, you have trouble. But, if it's just script kiddies going for quick vandalism they will most likely be looking for known vulnerablities. If the server is hardened, like ours are, they will hopefully just move on to an easier target.

Yes, we back up every night. We'll use those if necessary.
He doesn't think it's a problem, and there are backups, so I'm not going to be TOO worried.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:22 PM   #96
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm still thinking of taking an internet holiday Sunday! I don't want to take any chance of getting more corrupted than I already am! I just need to figure out what time Sunday starts! I (obviously) don't know beans about computers, but I do know to avoid trouble!
Old 07-05-2003, 01:48 PM   #97
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Theres only 3 guests on now, there was 55 about an hour ago....
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:03 PM   #98
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
a board I frequent has stopped guests browsing the threads.......until the interlopers get bored trying to gather info.
I like this idea. But then again, what if an interloper has now joined as a member, and so could get access anyway?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:27 PM   #99
HOBBIT

The suspicious guests are gone and have been for several hours (when Ben came on and emailed our hosting server - they got rid of the bots).

Having guests on the board is normal - all the ones on now are normal and not suspicious.

What was suspicious was for over 72 hours having over 50 guests from the same isp! They were messed up bots - doing who knows what. (didn't have 50 on all the time, most of the time 20-30, but I saw only 4 at one time...)

But the suspicious guests now really are gone - the other day they just dwindled down to a couple.

Old 07-05-2003, 07:15 PM   #100
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

There are only 3 guests on now, but a few min. ago I looked and it said one of them was creating a new thread I'm guessing guests can't do that?

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote