Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-23-2004, 06:46 AM   #81
Janny
The Blobbit

Ah Khamul, my dear fellow. How many runs does one get when one hits a four? Or when one runs a single? I'm afraid hitting a six follows on the same wonderfully logical lines.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:41 AM   #82
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Unless it's a no ball delivery, in which case an extra run is added to the shot played. I've seen plenty of seven-run deliveries.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:25 PM   #83
Janny
The Blobbit

And the amazing times when the ball hits the helmet that the wickie left on the floor behind him, and the batters get 5 penalty runs... the excitement! Now tell me it's more boring than golf!

1st test nicely balanced at close of play btw... 270 ish in one day by England required to win, no wickets down...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:41 PM   #84
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
Ah Khamul, my dear fellow. How many runs does one get when one hits a four? Or when one runs a single? I'm afraid hitting a six follows on the same wonderfully logical lines.
Ok, I don't feel too stupid because I've never heard of a four or a single. The only single I'm familiar with is in baseball, and you don't get any runs for that (unless you get an RBI).

Does it have to go a certain way to go out of bounds and be counted as six? The reason I ask is because in baseball it has to go in front of the hitter to be counted. If it goes back, it doesn't count.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:52 AM   #85
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

If you hit the ball over the boundary without bouncing then you get six; if it does hit the ground first, you get four.

It's been a good game, with the initiative constantly ebbing and flowing. The England bowlers did a really good job yesterday afternoon.

On day two they were predicting that the pitch might start deteriorating towards the end and it would be a difficult pitch to bat last on. Let's see if the England batsmen can cope...

[EDIT: reads back through the thread]

Yes, I'd heard Strauss was from SA originally. Nothing wrong with imported talent; I'm old enough to remember Mike Denness (Scottish captain of England!), Tony Greig (also captain, but I can't remember whether he was Aussie or SA) and Allan Lamb (another SA).

IIRC, Ireland are about on a par with Scotland at cricket, though I don't remember them getting into the World Cup in recent years. I only support England at cricket because they so obviously need it.

Any Aussies play indoor cricket here? Now why hasn't that caught on in the UK (where we have the ideal weather for it)?

Last edited by The Gaffer : 05-24-2004 at 04:22 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:43 AM   #86
Janny
The Blobbit

Geriant Jones woul also be an import then I suppose! He's the Kent wickie so I've seen him play once or twice, I was very impressed, he seemed to pull off apparently impossible catches.

Sorry Khamul, I'd forgotten about the nature of baseball and how different it is from cricket...

Update: England 44 - 2 Target 282. We are screwed.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:41 PM   #87
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Update: England 44 - 2 Target 282. We are screwed.
Spoke too soon, didn't ya?

Even I know that. Though now I'm not sure...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #88
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Defo. 282 for 3; Hussain got a century. They made it with 15 minutes to spare.

Very close game. NZ will feel a bit unlucky (there were lots of streaky shots in that innings and a few dodgy decisions in the game which went England's way).

Who is going to get dropped to make way for Vaughan coming back in the next game? My choice would be Butcher, though it wouldn't surprise me if the selectors dropped Strauss
Old 05-24-2004, 02:56 PM   #89
Janny
The Blobbit

Okay, firstly... erm... at the time it looked it... I don't have much faith in English batting... or bowling for that matter, but still, I don't see you ever predicting anything Sunny (Except after it's happened... good job on that front tho! )
I would drop Hussein, just a bit of bitterness about that run out... how noble of Strauss! Anyway, I think they may drop Giles maybe... just for the extra batsman.

BTW, did you see that statistic of batsmen scoring centuries on debut... that poor guy got 120 something and 170 ish and got dropped!

Now where's BoP?

Old 05-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #90
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It would be hard to drop Nasser after his 100, though running out the guy who's competing for his place in the team is a bit naughty
Old 05-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #91
Draken
Elf Lord

Cracking game. Man of the Match for me was the groundsman! A wicket that did something for both spin and seam, but with runs in it too. And in May!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:19 AM   #92
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
I don't see you ever predicting anything Sunny (Except after it's happened... good job on that front tho! )
Quiet, you!

Or I'll borrow some duct tape off your Teacup Cafe friends
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:45 AM   #93
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

It's always nice when England get together in perfect weather and soundly thrash the living daylights out of a team. Puts a glow in the heart, and it got me out of revising for the exam i just failed. Yay!!... uh no thats not right....

Oh well. I think we played well and I think that it was a good all round game so Yay for the others to. They'll probably beat us next time anyway. Our luck is never that good.

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 03:35 PM   #94
BelegS
Enting

Quote:
Well hello and welcome! Nice to meet you BelegS. Yes, Chris Cairnes got the record for the most sixes in test cricket in a career with 86 I think he got up to. 84 by Viv Richards was the previous best.

Khamul, I love the notion that cricket would be exotic channels.

I hope you're still Gaffer! I didn't scare you off with my left baiting?

Hey! sorry didn't read this before. Erm, do you mean 186 or 86?

Sad to see Nasser Hussain going. He was a tough fellow and IMO loads better then what Botham thinks of him. [and he was a great captain too, the best England have got in the recent years IMO]

LOL, English luck has been pretty good this season...

Last edited by BelegS : 05-29-2004 at 03:37 PM.
BelegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #95
Janny
The Blobbit

Um.. I thought I meant 86, I'm not so sure now. I think it was 86.
Yes, there's been a bit of a joke in the UK because the England captain choose to resign gracfully, something which many people think the PM should do now. There is a cartoon of the chancellor's house (the man who would succeed the Tony Blair) with a large banner outside reading:
'Nasser Hussein. Good retirement decision'.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:27 PM   #96
Draken
Elf Lord

Two series wins on the bounce for England...what IS happening? Harmison ranked #2 in the world and Geraint Jones showing he's a bona fide batting wicket keeper...all we need now is a decent spinner!

....or am I?
Old 06-09-2004, 03:53 AM   #97
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yeah, it's weird. Can't believe that Harmison is number 2 in the world; he seems far too inconsistent and (no disrespect to NZ or WI) he hasn't really produced the goods against one of the top batting teams (Aus, India, SA)
Old 06-17-2004, 04:29 AM   #98
Draken
Elf Lord

Derbyshire beat New Zealand! The glory days of winning the Nat West Trophy on the last ball may be long gone, but I'll take whatever wins we can get these days.

....or am I?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:32 AM   #99
Draken
Elf Lord

And it's another Test win for England! But to be honest the Windies seem in disarray these days.

....or am I?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #100
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

England probably deserved it, but Windies were unlucky with a couple of key umpiring decisions.

Good batting display, though. I managed to catch Freddie in full flight, so that was a treat. Finally they dropped Butcher; pity it had to take an injury to make the selectors see sense.