Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2004, 04:38 PM   #81
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Castle Urquhart - yes it is open to the public, and to film crews (e.g. Monty Python and the Holy Grail).
Castle anthrax!!!

Aww, poor Gaffer put in a tizzy by internationl hand signs...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:44 PM   #82
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yeah, we need a smiley for that. How about

=[

or something
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:49 PM   #83
Janny
The Blobbit

_|_

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #84
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Heh. Or, if it's a Frenchman:

\/
| |
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:16 PM   #85
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Isn't the British equivalent of "flipping someone off" hold up a backwards peace sign with your fingers? Meaning..the back of the hand facing the person instead of the front? I don't know...I heard that somewhere.

JD, I don't think I'm superior. I probably shouldn't have even made that comment, but just pointing out: You listened to it for a day. I've listened to people babble ignorantly and been irritated by it since I started thinking for myself. If I just made angry gestures at people who were making assumptions about people that share my belief system or culture, it'd be reinforcing their opinions. Or something. But, yeah...
Old 06-09-2004, 05:18 PM   #86
Mercutio

Quote:
The Gaffer

Heh. Or, if it's a Frenchman:

\/
| |
Quote:

Janny

_|_
Quote:
The Gaffer

Yeah, we need a smiley for that. How about

=[

or something

We most certainly do not! Its bad enough with the sarcastic smiley. Let alone obscene gestures on this board...

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:19 AM   #87
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Now that WOULD be a useful travel tip: obscene hand gestures around the world. The old middle finger is pretty much the lingua franca these days, but it's so nice if one can join in with the locals.
I have a link to a page of "foreign fingers", although it's not appropriate for open forum. If anyone wants it, just PM me.

According to the page, you are correct Starr.

Anyway, BACK TO TOPIC about things I might need to know before going overseas.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #88
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Pack skirts!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #89
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
Pack skirts!
You know, if you continue like this you're going to have to put that thing about "Note from Tessar to everybody: I'm a BOY" back into your sig, Tessar. People will wonder...

EDIT: As for traveling, I usually take some sun block with me, I tend to burn quickly in the sun, I don't know about you, khamul, but being burned on holiday can be troublesome.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #90
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
You know, if you continue like this you're going to have to put that thing about "Note from Tessar to everybody: I'm a BOY" back into your sig, Tessar. People will wonder...

EDIT: As for traveling, I usually take some sun block with me, I tend to burn quickly in the sun, I don't know about you, khamul, but being burned on holiday can be troublesome.
Many people in the USA get burned every April 15.

Headphones may be useful on the plane if you wish to ignore your fellow passengers.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #91
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
On my flight to Europe we weren't allowed to use any type of electronic devices, ever. Let me tell you, that makes a nine-hour flight very long.

And I'll back up the sunscreen thing, heh. Sitting between two extremely sunburned (I'm talking massive blisters on them) girls makes the musicless flight even LONGER. Maha.

They do come in handy on buses and when you're trying to sleep, if the area you're staying in tends to be noisy.

Oh! If you DO use any kind of electronic device that needs charging or needs to be plugged in, buy an adapter.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:49 AM   #92
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
Pack skirts!
He could always borrow one of your... er... one of your sister's skirts.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 06-11-2004 at 01:08 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 01:21 AM   #93
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Ok, I'll toss in some sunscreen, just in case. I wasn't planning on taking a CD player or anything, because I sleep like a rock most anywhere.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:30 PM   #94
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
He could always borrow one of your... er... one of your sister's skirts.

I sense an insinuation in that, but clearly my puritanical mind is far too clean for such notions!

Earniel on the other hand is as blunt as a tree trunk. Straight to the point that girl is... Get it? Blunt? to the POINT?... *sigh*

Hehe, but really, just have a good time Kammy . If you start to feel like you're over doing it, then you probably are, or already have.

Oh yea, top tip: Drink more than you think you need to.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 02:42 PM   #95
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Final tip: if you're going to be here over the next few weeks, be prepared to hear a lot about football (soccer), since it's Euro 2004. Good luck with that
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 06-11-2004 at 02:50 PM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:15 AM   #96
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

One of my friends from college has an England football (soccer) jersey and if I was still there, I'd see if I could borrow it to fit in with the natives. I guess I'll have to go read the Euro 2004 thread and catch up so I'll have something to talk about.

Old 06-12-2004, 02:46 AM   #97
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, you could always watch a few games live in a pub. That'd be way cool.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:52 AM   #98
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

If I get the chance, I'll try.

Since it's almost 2 in the morning, it's technically Monday now. So I'll be leaving tomorrow (Tuesday) on my trip. I'll be gone about two weeks, so y'all be nice while I'm gone.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #99
sun-star
Lady of Letters

How did your trip go, apart from the last-minute problem? (Hope you're OK now).

Great touristy avatar, by the way
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 01:52 AM   #100
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Thanks. "Mind the Gap" is my new favorite phrase. I had seen it on shirts and stuff, but it wasn't until our last full day in London that I actually figured out what it meant. I was in some souvenir shop, looked at a coffee mug with it on there, and the lightbulb came on. Since then, I've loved it.

London rocked. I loved it. Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Covent Garden, Hyde Park, the Tower of London, even the Tube -- it was all cool. London was my favorite city.

If London was my favorite city, then Canterbury Cathedral was my favorite place. I stepped in and was immediately unable to speak. It was breathtaking. It was so cool to see the place where Thomas * Becket was murdered. But one of the best parts was the fact that while we were looking around one of the far transcepts, a boys choir started practicing in the nave. The sound of their voices filling the cathedral was unreal. We all just stopped for a moment and listened. It was a perfect touch.

The white cliffs of Dover were beautiful, but I wasn't too impressed with the little bit of Calais we saw from the bus.

Except for the famous landmarks, Paris didn't impress me all that much. It was too dirty. The Eiffel Tower and the Louvre were my favorite parts of Paris.

The Riviera didn't impress me too much either. The water was pretty, but that was about it. I'd rather go to the beach in North Florida, which is much closer to home.

Monaco, however, was very cool. I really enjoyed my brief trip there. I liked the old city and figuring out where the racetrack goes the best. The gardens were also really nice.

I liked Switzerland too. The Alps were gorgeous. And I'd have to say that the Lion Monument in Lucerne was one of my favorite things on the whole trip. And such a sad story to go along with it too.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but I think that about covers it. It was a good trip (except for what happened when I tried to come home).