yes, it's called a description of the perpetrator 4 50.00%
no, its too encompassing 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #81
inked
Elf Lord

What we really mean is.......

From MEMRI, via Robert Spencer at Jihadwatch:

The following are excerpts from interviews with the director of the Al-Maqreze Centre for Historical Studies, Dr. Hani Al-Siba'i. The first aired on Al-Jazeera TV on July 8, 2005; in it, Al-Siba'i discussed the London bombings.
The London Bombings

Al-Siba'i: "I think that British Prime Minister Tony Blair made a grave error when he spoke before the investigation and claimed that the perpetrators of these acts were acting in the name of Islam. I think that he will pay the price for this grave error in the future. No possibility should be ruled out. We do not rule out the possibility that it was done by the intelligence agency of another Western country hostile to Britain. We do not rule out countries... or some Zionist Americans who wanted to overshadow the G-8 summit. But at the same time, we do not rule out the Al-Qa'ida organization. It's been claimed that Al-Qa'ida died in Afghanistan, and was buried in the caves there. And behold: it was resurrected after the American occupation of Iraq. Moreover, Al-Qa'ida controls the war agenda in Iraq. It is the Al-Qa'ida organization in the Land of the Two Rivers [Iraq], headed by Abu Mus'ab Al-Zarqawi, that imposes its policies, to the extent that the Egyptian government was forced to... It was forced to recall [its ambassador], and other countries are afraid to send ambassadors there."...

Host: "Mr. Hani, make no mistake. The same assembly ruled that Jihad in Iraq is allowed against soldiers. Even Sheik Osama [sic.] Al-Makdisi, Abu Mus'ab Al-Zarqawi's mentor... Okay. Abu Hani, okay... He asked Al-Zarqawi not to kill civilians and to attack only the Americans... I mean, only soldiers..."

Al-Siba'i: "The term 'civilians' does not exist in Islamic religious law. Dr. Karmi is sitting here, and I am sitting here, and I'm familiar with religious law. There is no such term as 'civilians' in the modern Western sense. People are either of Dar Al-Harb or not...

Host: "Excuse me, who do you want to promote? Those who want the banner of 'There is no god but Allah' over the Queen of England and Buckingham Palace? Those who want to establish a caliphate and turn the Queen of England into a captive? Those who say [England] is Dar Al-Harb and property there can be plundered? Are those the kind of people you want?"

Al-Siba'i: "These associations do not represent the Muslim public. They collaborate with the British police for certain interests. They want an 'English Islam,' and not the Islam that was sent to the Prophet Muhammad. If Al-Qa'ida indeed carried out this act, it is a great victory for it. It rubbed the noses of the world's eight most powerful countries in the mud. This victory is a blow to the economy..."

In other words, those of us living in the Dar al-Harb, the "world of war" outside the Muslim realm, are all infidels and therefore fair game for the faithful.

Now, that is what is known as truth-in-advertising. Home-grown or exported, Islam is not now, nor has it ever been a religion of peace, nor does it intend to be. And it is legitimate to lie to those not of Islam to achieve this goal.

Note that this interviewer and interviewee hold the position that those who hold a less strict interpretation are NOT true members of Islam. The implication is that they are equally targets when the "real" believers strap on their plastique.

This is what the West is dealing with.

OF course, Israel first, if it can be managed per HAMAS:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...111238,00.html
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #82
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

www.bbcnews.com

damn.. that's all i have to say now. i hope there were no serious injuries, like the rumours are now.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:05 AM   #83
Draken
Elf Lord

Detonators only, they seem to think, no explosives. Very strange.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:18 AM   #84
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

They've Struck Again

News Alert, Four More Bombs Set Off In London Transit System Today, Subways And Bus......nothing Further Known At This Time.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:30 PM   #85
sun-star
Lady of Letters

It doesn't look too serious at the moment, hopefully. I was just in London yesterday - this is so weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
How can someone even think of blaiming an entire religion for something that a fraction of fundamentalists have done? I know a few muslims, and they're the nicest and most polite persons I've met.
That's very nice, but kind of beside the point. I know lots of wonderful Muslims too - I'm sure we all do - but we also know that there are groups of extremists or terrorists or whatever you want to call them who define themselves as Muslims and who claim to act in the name of Islam. It's therefore necessary not to ignore any possible link between terrorism and Islam. If understanding is the way forward, one of the questions we have to ask to understand the mentality of the bombers is: how far does their religion influence, condition or condone their actions? Addressing this question is not "blaming an entire religion".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
unfortunately there will always be people who will readily take advantage of a tragedy to promote their own biased agenda. its human really...
Everyone has an agenda here. People who suggest the terrorists have legitimate concerns usually do so because they have some sympathy to those concerns themselves - like the politicians now linking this to Iraq. And calling it a "tragedy" deprives the perpetrators of their guilt. This is a crime, not a natural disaster.

Last edited by sun-star : 07-21-2005 at 12:32 PM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #86
Mercutio

Only one person injured today, thank God.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #87
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

brown are you back in the building?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:49 PM   #88
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
brown are you back in the building?
summer's slow at work and the 'moot was always good for eatin' up free time
Old 07-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #89
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Notice To All Posters

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN SPLIT

WE NOW HAVE A THREAD ENTITLED

RELIGIOUS Debate on Terroristm-who, why, etc.

USE THIS THREAD TO DISCUSS CHRISTIANITY VS KORAN VS BARBARIC CULTURES VS WESTERN CIVILIZATION ETC.

Hopefully this will be the last time this thread has to be divided.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:46 PM   #90
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

only a few days back and already splitted
Old 07-22-2005, 04:49 PM   #91
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yep, I am trying to keep things compartmentalized.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #92
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

it's underground not subways!

so, what happened to the old thread - any update yet, if it can be recovered?

best all BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-22-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #93
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

REPEATING POST # 89

WE NOW HAVE A THREAD ENTITLED

***RELIGIOUS Debate on Terroristm-who, why, etc.***

In addition to this **Multiple Explosions in London**

and

***2005 How do we deal with Terrorists***

IT IS HOPED that these will channel some of the diatribe and more vitriolic commentsl into more appropriate channels.

The former threads proved unretrievable by tech support.

Last edited by Spock : 07-22-2005 at 05:00 PM. Reason: more
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #94
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Hi spock ... look i didn't in ANY way mean to be IN ANY WAY confrontational or anything .. quite the opposite ... i just wondered if there was any update on if the old thread could be recovered ... (as i was told it was still hoped it might be ...) and it was personal to no-one ..

i am suprised by your post there (honestly) ... i was just trying to catch up on this thread, which does interest me ... sorry but i had only read the old one ... not being funny or anything but it takes a lot of time to catch up on these things is all ...

EDIT add: i just read your post again - it was irretrievable - Ok - these things happen - did not previously know that! Thta's all i was wondering, man.

Ps i never said anything vitriolic against you on this ... please do not make this personal for 2 good reasons, 1) there's no need (genuinely) and 2) i'm in no mood for it

so best to you .. BB and calm down!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-22-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #95
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I heard about this while in Ecuador but couldn't post, so I wanted to post now and send my condolences to the families and friends of the victims and to any Mooters that were affected by this tragedy.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:59 AM   #96
sun-star
Lady of Letters

They now think they've arrested all four of the bombers from the second round of attempted attacks: Police question bombing suspects

Amazing stuff - armed raids in London are becoming a frequent sight.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 07-30-2005 at 03:00 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote