Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-01-2002, 05:02 PM   #81
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Wait.. you were being amusing?

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 07:03 PM   #82
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

You can call me evil all you want, I don't mind, but when you start calling the innocently silly evil I have to defend them.
Wulažg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 07:26 PM   #83
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Name an example of an innocently silly individual.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 05-01-2002, 07:50 PM   #84
azalea
Long lost mooter

Children.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:05 PM   #85
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Pure evil!

I know, I was a child once.

And I have spawned a few. Nothing but evil, without a socially developed conscience.

Don't turn your back on them for a second. Even if they are cute little buggers.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:06 PM   #86
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
I would like to define evil as a lack of empathy. Any support?

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 04:00 PM   #87
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

At the very least lack of empathy is the cause for much of the evil around.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:03 PM   #88
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
I would like to define evil as a lack of empathy. Any support?
Actually that is a very interesting working draft. It meshes nicely with the sociological and psychological concepts of sociopathy.

However, one could make a case for the idea that an entity would have even GREATER capability for harm if they did have empathy, by applying the information in contrary ways.

Which supports my position that women are more evil than men

Old 05-02-2002, 04:10 PM   #89
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

How does one have greater capacity for evil with empathy? Are you talking about something on the order of sadism?
Old 05-02-2002, 04:13 PM   #90
Blackheart
Elf Lord

I'm talking about actions, as in evil requires action, as opposed to a state of being.

Old 05-02-2002, 04:16 PM   #91
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

That's debatable. Evil can just be a state of being, especially with higher beings.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:53 PM   #92
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Oh? And how so?

They are evil because they are "defined" as being evil?

Existence is a state of being. In order for an entity to be evil because of a self refferential definition, then how can actions also be defined as evil?

Are there two kinds of evil? Actions don't actually have a state of being.

Old 05-04-2002, 02:26 PM   #93
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

Let us not use "action", but "decision with will". Also people can to a degree sense the personality of someone, so even if they are nkot planning something evil pople can still be affected by their "evilness"
Old 05-06-2002, 01:05 PM   #94
Blackheart
Elf Lord

A decision with will??

Too problematic. A decision with will IS an action, so you are now saying that evil is limited to special type of actions...

Old 05-06-2002, 08:26 PM   #95
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

So what EXACTLY is your definition of an "action" then? Let's get a level playing ground.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:45 PM   #96
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Hehe. Now your talking.

Lets try: Actions must have a verifiable empirical result, and wreak a change in the outside realm we commonly refer to as "reality".

Intentions, thoughts, existence, do not create a "change" and are problematic. Decisions with will are problematic also, unless you interpreat will to mean one takes action upon them. At which point then we're saying something else about the nature of evil.

Everything's problematic of course, if you want to go one step further and define what exactly I mean by change.

Do you? or shall we just hold at this level?

Last edited by Blackheart : 05-07-2002 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:05 PM   #97
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

Let's keep on going. Descisions with will are merely thoughts that are genuinely meant. Higher beings I presume are able to at least a degree sense thoughts, therefore thoughts that are really meant count as "actions" as thoughts that are really meant number one mean that your unconcious thinks and reacts on it so your actions are minutely changed, and number two others can at least unconciously sense that you are thinking something and THEIR actions will be changed slightly.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO rule the world!
Old 05-08-2002, 04:19 PM   #98
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulažg
Let's keep on going. Descisions with will are merely thoughts that are genuinely meant. Higher beings I presume are able to at least a degree sense thoughts, therefore thoughts that are really meant count as "actions" as thoughts that are really meant number one mean that your unconcious thinks and reacts on it so your actions are minutely changed, and number two others can at least unconciously sense that you are thinking something and THEIR actions will be changed slightly.
They may be genuinely meant, but the leap from sensing thoughts to classifying them as actions is going to take more than that.

People may think something mean at you, but if they don't say it, does it have the same level of impact? Does it mean they have the same level of investment?

No, I don't buy the whole "god judges you for your intentions" thing in this universe, much less in Arda.

Melkor could have Thought about weaving his own themes of control into the music the whole time, but it wouldn't have drawn a rebuke. He was probably thinking such thoughts before the music began. It was the action that drew the (percieved) rebuke.

Old 05-08-2002, 04:54 PM   #99
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Blackheart is a difficult man to beat in a philosophical debate, I know. But if I may jump in here: I do not believe Melkor had been planning his discord before the Music began. Actually Time didn't exist yet so there is no "had", "been" or "before" (or "yet") to speak of, but you know what I mean. It was already after the Holy Ones had begun their great musics that Melkor journeyed through the pathless Void alone, seeking the Flame Imperishable and conceiving thoughts that were wholly other than the mind of Eru. It was from these thoughts that the Discord of Melkor arose.

This is an aside from the main matter of your odd debate about evil, but I thought I'd put in my piece.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:56 PM   #100
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

I wasn't necessarily saying that thoughts have as much impact as actual actions but they do have empirical results and therefore can be also considered actions technically. Plus when you think about it what really matters is what a person means to do, especially if the others can sense the intentions. Someone being nice doesn't mean a THING if you know they don't mean it. That occurs a lot. People can on a rudimentary and unconcious level tell whether someone is lying or not, in words or actions. People acting out of character are classified as "odd" at the very least etc.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO rule the world!