Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-07-2002, 05:35 PM   #81
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I saw the film before i read the books! When i saw the film i was like wow this is amazing I've got to read the books! so i did and i've read them all more than once now!!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:18 AM   #82
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Treebeard

I first started really readin FOTR after the movie cam out(Shame, Shame) Actually, I didn't watch the movie, but figured I had to read the books with all the hype going on. I had tried reading the books about three years ago, and found them BORING. I am so ashmed to think that I thought that. I also read the Hobbit about the same time I first started LOTR. It's a little fasster paced, and I loved it. However, I now think that LOTR are the aboslute best book's ever!
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:31 PM   #83
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I read the books when I was nine and adored them but then forgot about them and left them tucked away on a distant shelf until I did a scene from The Hobbit for a drama exam. I had to be clued up on the book so I picked it up and got myself hooked again. I thought I might as well read the others as they were lying about the house and they've been my faves ever since. I was glad when the film came out and the book shops went Tolkien mad because I found out about the histories of Middle Earth etc which I never knew existed. Tolkien has to be the best fantasy writer ever and I don't think anyone will ever compare to him. Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:26 PM   #84
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

Post how YOU became a LOTR fan

Once upon a time, in May 2001, I was in a hotel room with my friend and her mom.

We had nothing to do so we ordered the Fotr on pay per view.

Before seeing it, they gave me some backround info. on the Hobbit and the Ring of Power.

Seemed interesting.

Then I saw the movie.

I was enthralled. I couldn't sleep. The next day, the only thing on my mind was LOTR.

I went home, and on monday, the Hobbit was in my hands. By wednesday, I was reading Fotr, by friday i was reading TT, and by late sunday night, I was sobbing over the ending of the Rotk.

Then my obsession went into full swing.

Internet, a wonderful thing. I printed out pics, read news articles, and welcomed every bit of info. on LOTR to expand my knowledge.

It was then I pre ordered the Fotr DVD from Barnes and Nobel, and told my parents to pick it up on August 6th, and not to forget (I was gonna be at camp)

The night I got back from camp i watched Fotr. And watched it again. and again. and again. and again. and ive seen it over 100 times.

Then I waited for the TT. I dressed up as an elf for halloween, and made a LOTR tee shirt to wear to the opening on Dec. 18. I saw it right after school.

New movie means new pics, and new info. So I searched eagerly for more good websites. But I couldn't find one where i could discuss LOTR with other people from around the world.

Then, by chance, my friend stumbled upon this website. And she told me about it. And Its just the site i was looking for.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:30 PM   #85
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, I first read the hobbit when I was 11. I remember hating it (it was for school.) Then 3 years later, my boyfriend nagged me to read LOTR, and I've been hooked ever since then.

BTW: I think this has been done before.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:35 PM   #86
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

dang. didnt know that. only joined yesterday.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:44 PM   #87
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

Well, I read the hobbit when I was 12, and loved it!!!!! I was going to start fotr, but was mad becuase it was about Frodo and not Bilbo. Then I was playing sherades with my neighbors and I drew the name 'Legolas' out of the hat. I had no idea who that was, so they shamed my into starting fotr... then I heard that they were making the movie, so I hurried to finish it, I was a little more than 1/3 way through when the movie came out. I loved it!! Saw it the third day it came out w. my dad!

Then, with the help of Evenstar1400 I read TTT and RotK. They are defietly a lot slower tha nthe Hobbit, and if it were not for Evenstar1400 I probobly never would have finished that book!

I was Eowyn for Halloween!! It was awesome!!!
So basically, I have been a Tolkien fan since age 12, and a lotr fan since lasy year!!!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:53 PM   #88
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

Well I had never even heard of lotr untill the movie came out (my dad read all the books several times) so my dad took me and then I found out my friend (liz) had seen it while she was seeing fam in California. So then I read the books and now here I am!

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!

Last edited by gimli-son-of-gloin13 : 01-07-2003 at 05:54 PM.
gimli-son-of-gloin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:47 PM   #89
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

My father read the books (The Hobbit+LotR) to me when I was 8 years (and my sister was around 6), I read it by myself again when I was almost 13...then again...I became 14, and read it again...and then I finally got the English version, and have read that once or twice. And my dad had an old version of the Silm (1st edition, from 1977), and I read that too. And then I bought UT and read it. Now that I'm 15, I've started reading the HoME-series.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:24 PM   #90
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

I read it when I was about 16, on suggestion of my art teacher! It was totally amazing, and re-read it the next year, and yeah. Thats about it!
~ Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:33 PM   #91
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Not only has it been done before, (but I think it was a while ago) but this is in the wrong forum. Moving to Lord of the Rings book forum.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:26 PM   #92
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

I started to read LotR because my french teacher recamended it to me (that was in september). now ive read all the books 4 times and am working on the hobbit for the 5th time. and i cant belive how obsessed i am now!
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:49 PM   #93
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar1400
dang. didnt know that. only joined yesterday.
There's a search feature in the upper right hand corner of the Entmoot web pages. This has been done before. Here's the link

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...&threadid=4766

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
Old 01-07-2003, 10:49 PM   #94
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

Heee heeee heeeee! It's lots of fun being obsessed with lotr!! Fun FUN FUn!!! what is the hoME series?

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-07-2003, 10:53 PM   #95
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

The HoME series is(correct me if I'm wrong), 12 book series telling the History of Middle Earth(HoME) They were edited by Christopher Tolkien, like the Sil.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
Old 01-07-2003, 11:02 PM   #96
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

Cool! That would take me about a year to read! I like fast-paced books... books that are totally based on describing a history, sometimes bore me... like my Europian History book for that matter. Has anyone told my SS teacher that we are living in America???

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-07-2003, 11:22 PM   #97
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
Cool! That would take me about a year to read! I like fast-paced books... books that are totally based on describing a history, sometimes bore me... like my Europian History book for that matter. Has anyone told my SS teacher that we are living in America???
There is nothing easy or fast paced about the HoMe books. They are a series of books containing notes of Tolkien along with essays, and comentaries by Christopher. He also took the opportunity in these books to correct some mistakes that he made in the published Silmarillion. There is a lot to be learned from them and there is some beautiful writing between their covers, but they are very long and difficult. Don't want to scare you. Just being honest.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:27 AM   #98
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

My Dad used to read The Hobbit to me as a baby, to make me sleep. I loved the dwarves song as they tidy up, (see name). The Lord Of The Ring was the next natural step, & as I finished my primary school's reading curriculum three years before the end, i had the time.

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:43 PM   #99
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
(I don't know if I have posted here before, I probably have but anyway )

I read all the books about twice before the movie came out, I loved it then but I didn't get into it as much, I watched the movie about a year later adn I was like "LotR!! Why I havn't read it for this long!!" So then I read the series again, and again, and again, and again. Ok, you get the picture !
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:27 PM   #100
eowyngirl14

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
There is nothing easy or fast paced about the HoMe books. They are a series of books containing notes of Tolkien along with essays, and comentaries by Christopher. He also took the opportunity in these books to correct some mistakes that he made in the published Silmarillion. There is a lot to be learned from them and there is some beautiful writing between their covers, but they are very long and difficult. Don't want to scare you. Just being honest.
Maybe I'll wait untill I am just a little older to read them... they sound really cool though!

- Benjamin Franklin