Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2003, 02:18 PM   #81
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
It's not petty because Sauron has his army marching WEST now Frodo has to backtrack right INTO this army. There is absolutely no explanation for this - Frodo just mirculously gets from Osgiliath to Shelob no problem.
How can you say that when we haven't even seen what happens before they actually get to Shelob yet?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 02:22 PM   #82
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
How can you say that when we haven't even seen what happens before they actually get to Shelob yet?
Because they're pretty much there at the end of TT. You don't think jackson is going to waste time on set up material - when he hasn't in the past. History speaks for itself.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-16-2003 at 02:25 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 02:29 PM   #83
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
FotR was not supposed to be an action flick.
I guess I watched a different movie. I don't see how you can classify FotR an action flick when it had a MAX of 20-30 minutes of fighting and "action" in it...Heck action flicks are movies that have at least half of the movie, which in this case would be 90 minutes, full of action and fighting. FotR was not even close. The only action came with Moria, Weathertop (which wasn't really action, but I'll throw that in for you) and the fall of Boromir at Amon Sul...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-16-2003, 02:31 PM   #84
jerseydevil

Quote:
I guess I watched a different movie. I don't see how you can classify FotR an action flick when it had a MAX of 20-30 minutes of fighting and "action" in it...Heck action flicks are movies that have at least half of the movie, which in this case would be 90 minutes, full of action and fighting. FotR was not even close. The only action came with Moria, Weathertop (which wasn't really action, but I'll throw that in for you) and the fall of Boromir at Amon Sul...
Saruman. The council of Elrond turned into a screaming match, the chasing of Farmer maggot. I consider that to be action scenes that weren't action oriented before.

There was never a build up opf suspense like in the book. I never felt afraid that the black riders were around. IN the movie - they aren't even frightening anyway.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-16-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:05 PM   #85
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
There was never a build up opf suspense like in the book. I never felt afraid that the black riders were around. IN the movie - they aren't even frightening anyway.
I watched FOTR again and took a special interest into the wraiths. Now from what I saw, the dog and farmer maggot were terrified by the wraiths. Butterbeer seems to be horrified by them. Frodo it seems has become sick when the wraith is behind him when there hiding. (note, ROTK merry is crawling around blinded and sick from the wraith in pelennor fields.) also spiders, bugs, etc, feels his evilness and are moving away from the wraith. Also Frodo seems sick when the wraiths come in the dead marshes, and osgiliath. Yea maybe they don't frighten you, cuz your sittin in your house thinkin' they shouldn't be so action oriented. Note, as cassius has said they only clash swords with aragorn and sam in the entire movie!
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 06:10 PM   #86
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
BB, and all forms of BB...
I agree with you dunedain. [Edited by Azalea -- please don't flame]
Old 11-16-2003, 06:30 PM   #87
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Saruman. The council of Elrond turned into a screaming match, the chasing of Farmer maggot. I consider that to be action scenes that weren't action oriented before.
lol come on man you are reaching here. Council of Elrong is action because there was screaming? lol

--Linaewen
Old 11-16-2003, 06:57 PM   #88
jerseydevil

Quote:
lol come on man you are reaching here. Council of Elrong is action because there was screaming? lol
I'm not reaching. read the Council of Elrond in the book. It was not a screaming match over what to do with the Ring. it was an INTELLECTUAL discussion. of course jackson didn't have that. He had Elrond being a snobbish a*****e and he had everyone else practically breaking out into a fight.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-16-2003, 06:59 PM   #89
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by thranduil
I watched FOTR again and took a special interest into the wraiths. Now from what I saw, the dog and farmer maggot were terrified by the wraiths. Butterbeer seems to be horrified by them. Frodo it seems has become sick when the wraith is behind him when there hiding. (note, ROTK merry is crawling around blinded and sick from the wraith in pelennor fields.) also spiders, bugs, etc, feels his evilness and are moving away from the wraith. Also Frodo seems sick when the wraiths come in the dead marshes, and osgiliath. Yea maybe they don't frighten you, cuz your sittin in your house thinkin' they shouldn't be so action oriented. Note, as cassius has said they only clash swords with aragorn and sam in the entire movie!
There is NO PSYCHOLOGICAL fear to seeing the Ring Wraiths on screen. Yes - jackson does show those things - but there is more to just showing it. If I saw them - I would be scared too - but not necessarily psychologically frightened. That is the part that did NOT come out on scream - and it could have been - with a GOOD director. When you see lord of the rings on screen - there is no feelign that they could be anywhere waiting to ambush Frodo. There is no pyschological horror to them.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-16-2003 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:10 PM   #90
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
There is NO PSYCHOLOGICAL fear to seeing the Ring Wraiths on screen.
Give it up, jerseydevil. Even people who agree with you are rolling their eyes at [Edited by Azalea-- please don't flame].
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 09:12 PM   #91
Elf Girl
Lurker

After a few months off, I had decided to dive headlong into the debates again.

But something is wrong with the debates. No longer is it the friendly BB-and-purists-cheerfully-dislike-each-other cameraderie. Now BB is bringing in alter-egos, Ruinel is flaming, one of the alter-egos is insulting hectorberlioz's avatar for no apparant reason...?

What is the Moot coming to? I'm not sure I want to debate again anymore.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 09:22 PM   #92
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Give it up, jerseydevil. Even people who agree with you are rolling their eyes at [Flame Deleted]
Who do you claim that is? You must be living in your own little dream world again.

BTW - anyone can disagree with me - it doesn't change my opinions. I'm not leading an army here with "followers" You seem to think of it as an us versus them. I just state my opinions - they can side with me or side against me, it does not change how I feel.

I would like to know who you think supports me and is now rolling their eyes at me.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-16-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #93
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
I'm not reaching. read the Council of Elrond in the book. It was not a screaming match over what to do with the Ring. it was an INTELLECTUAL discussion. of course jackson didn't have that. He had Elrond being a snobbish a*****e and he had everyone else practically breaking out into a fight.
Whether it was intellectual or not you are still completely wrong for saying screaming matches make it an action flick...

--Linaewen
Old 11-16-2003, 09:29 PM   #94
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl

But something is wrong with the debates. No longer is it the friendly BB-and-purists-cheerfully-dislike-each-other cameraderie. Now BB is bringing in alter-egos, Ruinel is flaming, one of the alter-egos is insulting hectorberlioz's avatar for no apparant reason...?

Excuse me but I am no one's alter-ego, I speak for myself and my own opinions...

--Linaewen
Old 11-16-2003, 09:30 PM   #95
jerseydevil

Quote:
Whether it was intellectual or not you are still completely wrong for saying screaming matches make it an action flick...
It wasn't just that that made it an action flick. It's that the whole movie is action oriented which makes it an action flick. It's no different than the Matrix or Terminator 3.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-16-2003, 09:32 PM   #96
jerseydevil

Quote:
Excuse me but I am no one's alter-ego, I speak for myself and my own opinions...
She was referring to Thranduil, Cassius and Gen-X.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-16-2003, 10:17 PM   #97
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
She was referring to Thranduil, Cassius and Gen-X.
AKA: The Three Amigos.

Apologies to anyone offended. The comment seemed to fit my mood at the momment.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:40 PM   #98
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Of course I wasn't talking about you! You've been in these threads for ages.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 11-16-2003 at 10:42 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:42 PM   #99
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl

what do you mean bb bringing in alter egos, i have my own opinions about every subject. And I don't always agree with BB. As for insulting HB avatar I though I made it clear I was sorry and that there were no hard feelings. But I suppose you are holding a grudge about it for some reason.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:22 PM   #100
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Anyone want to talk about Iraq?

--Linaewen