Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2003, 05:09 PM   #81
azalea
Long lost mooter

I thought it was kind of funny, actually, as if I were the Big Bad Mod. I WAS thinking, you think I'm tough? You should have seen my predecessor!

Edit: changed adjective so as not to be misunderstood.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:12 PM   #82
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I even had a thread made about me saying I wasn't a good mod because of my thread closings.
I remember that thread, it was created when I was still a newbie, by a person who had gotten many of his threads closed.
I also remember that I sent you a PM in which I said that it was good of you to close all unnecessary threads (my threads included).

When my threads were closed, and when this other person's threads were closed, I was happy to see that there were administrators out there who kept the foras clean.

Um, I guess my point is that even though there are some 'Mooters (old ones as well as newbies) who dislike you admins, there will always be some who appreciate your work, even among the newbies.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:17 PM   #83
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
... Then shortly after that I saw what it was like to have people practically actively disliking me for doing my job. ....
That is truely a shame. I happen to like you and SGH. I haven't had much contact with the other mods, so I can't really say how I feel about them. And anyone who knows me would tell you that this is definitely NOT a brown nose job. I think the both of you do a great job at moderating the threads (even if you DID edit my various 'possible PJ endings for RotK' in the other thread for being too violent )

Quote:
And Ruinel: sorry if I misunderstood your post, but I thought some of that was directed at me. Apparently I was mistaken.
No harm no foul! Water under the bridge, as is said.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:22 PM   #84
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Ha ha ha! CBG, could have cared less if they were mad at him. He was soooo taterish.
Well he was "Tater in Training" or "Tater Junior".

Azalea - I can't even believe that people could be mad at you - you always seem so nice. They must not be anyone that lived through the CBG/Tater Era.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:31 PM   #85
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Um, I guess my point is that even though there are some 'Mooters (old ones as well as newbies) who dislike you admins, there will always be some who appreciate your work, even among the newbies.
Even though I complain about stuff like the 90 second rule I think we have some great mods and admins here. You guys do a great job.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 06:53 PM   #86
Ruinel
Banned

I think a lot of people are like myself and Aralyn and others who have posted so here. We think that the mods/admins are doing a great job. But it's the ones who complain that are heard the most. So, don't let them get you down. I think it is hard to mod a thread and be impartial and fair. It is so much easier to criticize the mods for what they do because you don't agree with the decision. However, there are plenty of us out here who are grateful for the things you do.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:16 PM   #87
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Gandhi

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:02 AM   #88
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I agree it's slightly borderline that picture. it doesn't show anything. The picture was obtained from a swimsuit catelog - if BoP used the sites that I had supplied for that picture.
Yep, it was pulled from a swimsuit catelogue.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:09 AM   #89
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Yep, it was pulled from a swimsuit catelogue.
That's what I thought - because I thought it was one of the cover pictures or something.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:31 AM   #90
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

They seem to have forgotten the swimsuit...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 08:13 AM   #91
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
That's what I thought - because I thought it was one of the cover pictures or something.
uh huh, and what are you doing lurking in internet swimsuit catalogues? tsk tsk!

Quote:
... Then shortly after that I saw what it was like to have people practically actively disliking me for doing my job. ....
Yeah, I've seen quite a few posts that slag-off the staff (especially Bmilder).........most of them, I guess, form folks who have been banned then gone to the library (or wherever) to log on and make a few hate-posts (or if they are clever, using a proxy server).

I remember over on SF-Fandom when Micheal Martinez was considering closing the whole MB! some freak had taken offence at the staff and was stalking Martinez in real life, that's some scary shishkebab!

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 05-18-2003 at 08:16 AM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 11:00 AM   #92
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Gandhi
I just wanted to make sure this got reposted. I haven't anything to add to it. It says it all right there.

Be the change you wish to see in the world. --Gandhi
Old 05-18-2003, 12:35 PM   #93
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney

I remember over on SF-Fandom when Micheal Martinez was considering closing the whole MB! some freak had taken offence at the staff and was stalking Martinez in real life, that's some scary shishkebab!
Coney, I didn't know you were at SF-Fandom, or are you a lurker? Are you registered? If so, what is your username?

Wow! I don't know why, but that surprises me.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:18 PM   #94
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:

Azalea - I can't even believe that people could be mad at you - you always seem so nice.
*blushes* Aw, shucks!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #95
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Coney, I didn't know you were at SF-Fandom, or are you a lurker? Are you registered? If so, what is your username?

I used to be registered...havn't bothered since they re-launched the site tho'. (am waiting for a while, until the previous re-launch of the old discussions fizzles out )

Why does it surprise you? I'm a member of several other MB's.......I just prefer to have a laugh at the 'moot, some of the other MB's usually frown my ecentricitie's, so I keep my post's pretty sober and polite .........the 'moot is a bit more accomodating for the more "colorful" personality so it's my chosen MB to relax in

EDIT: I didn't use Coney at SF.......don't use it anywhere else but here. I had two user accounts at SF.......both dead now (obviously)....when I re-join I'll let yer know wich one is me

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 05-18-2003 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:43 PM   #96
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

My two cents or so...

1) Personally, I don't care if you close the lighter-weight threads or not. If I like a thread, I'll post in it. If I don't, I don't post. But I think many of the lighter threads are often good places for the newbies to get to know others. I know for me, I was a v. tentative poster at first, because no one knew me (of course, since I was new!!), and it was discouraging to have no one respond to my posts in the Tolkien forums. Then I happened upon the Venting thread, and posted there, and (more importantly, I think) commented on other people's posts in a sympathetic way, and that's when I started to get to know other people and feel a part of the Moot. So MHO would be to generally leave these threads alone, because they sometimes help the newbies, unless there get to be too many of them and they start to take over.

2) PMs are nice - handy for a quick question or thought or "just thinking of you" type thing, or a note to a admin/mod. When I get to the point where it takes 4 or 5 PMs to talk with someone, we just exchange email addys. PMs are handy to use to start friendships, too - I'd feel odd asking for someone's email addy right off the bat, and I wouldn't give mine out to anyone that I haven't chatted with for awhile, and if we don't 'click' on PMs, then it's no big deal to drop.

3) I really, really, REALLY appreciate the PG-13 rating. There's plenty of more-than-PG-13 stuff out there in the world; PG-13 is a pleasant change. The last few months seem to have really pushed the rating, and I have NOT liked the change. It's nice to just enjoy Tolkien and friendships, and not wade thru the sexual innuendos going back and forth. And I enjoy talking with the younger mooters, so I want it to stay young-mooter-friendly. So please, admins and mods, keep enforcing the standards there. I think a LOT of people appreciate it.

4) I'm very sorry to hear that so many people have felt snubbed in the Tolkien forums I'm one of those that quote HoME refs, etc., because I enjoy it when someone else shares a ref. Please PM me, anyone, if you've felt I've snubbed you. I just love to share Tolkien info and to get Tolkien info from others, that's my motiviation for quoting.

5) One of the things that I always do, and that I think might help others, is to ALWAYS read my post after I hit the 'submit reply' button. Sometimes it 'reads' different than I intended when I typed it. I end up editing my posts v. often, usually to edit a comment that might be taken the wrong way. Also, I write my posts much more carefully than I would normally talk, because I can't use voice inflection and facial expressions, which are an IMMENSE help in communication. And I'm really careful about joking/sarcasm, again because of the lack of being able to smile at a person. And I use the smilies a LOT, to avoid misunderstandings.

6) Hmm, good idea about the thread starter being a mini-mod. I've done that on some of my threads. Perhaps add a bit in the Entmoot rules on that (just to give the mods something to quote to an unruly poster - i.e., "Unruly poster, this thread belongs to XYZ, and she has asked that people don't talk about this; could you please stick to the topic.") Also to give the thread-starter the authority to ask an unruly poster to settle down.

I think it just boils down to respecting other people and "doing to others as you would like them to do to you."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:50 PM   #97
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, I remembered something else - several months ago, a fairly infrequent poster threw a fit over a comment by a mod - an admin and finally Ben had to come it to settle it down. It was entirely a misunderstanding - I had seen the mod's post, and because I knew the mod, I knew it was NOT meant in a mean way, but it DID come off as kind of abrupt and mean. So I would advise the admins/mods to be just a little more friendly in their wording of things, ESPECIALLY to newbies (instead of "done before - closing", do something just a little more complete-sentence-ish and polite). I know this will take more time , and you're already underpaid , but it really makes it less intimidating for the newbies. When I was new and I saw short messages like that from the mods, it made me v. nervous to start my own thread.

BTW, I've seen a big improvement in the mod's comments after this incident, but I just wanted to mention it so they'll keep it up. The mods really set the tone for the board. (And go ahead and tell them to use the search engine, but again, in a little more friendly way).

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 05-18-2003, 06:34 PM   #98
Rían

(hee hee - another thread stopped cold by my long-winded posts!!)

One more thing - I just saw this again today, someone wanting to start up a thread but said "the mods will say it's already been done". Well, this person wasn't around when it was done! Maybe change the 6-month limit to 3 months or less. Or just say "it was already done, but you can add on to this thread or start another one". But just have only 1 current one going.

Old 05-18-2003, 06:49 PM   #99
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:

Yeah! Who were you? (over there)

Last edited by Lizra : 05-18-2003 at 06:54 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 07:05 PM   #100
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Yeah! Who were you? (over there)
I was Osszie for a while.......my other nickname I only used while I was at work (when I had a job that would let me browse the internet ).

Didn't know you were there either Liz.........small world in 'ere innit?

Beatallica