Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #81
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Then too, what about the theory that aliens contributed to the development of mankind? There is a huge leap from Neanderthol to CroMagnum man which has not been explained in the fossil record. Theorists say that we've been genetically altered.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #82
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Well I've said that mankind is a failed 4th grade alien's science project.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #83
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Then too, what about the theory that aliens contributed to the development of mankind? There is a huge leap from Neanderthol to CroMagnum man which has not been explained in the fossil record. Theorists say that we've been genetically altered.
Scientists no longer believe we are the descendants of the Neanderthals. They were more like our cousins, with a common ancestor from whom both they and Cro Magnon evolved.

It's true that the human brain is the organ in nature that developed the fastest. As far as we know, no other organ in any animal has evolved and grown as fast as our brain. So maybe aliens were involved in the creation of man somehow
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #84
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

when they realised how violent and volatile a race we are, they scarpered, maybe they will come back one day to give us ships
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:08 PM   #85
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Or at least some Elven Bread
Old 04-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #86
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You guys have been watching "Mission to Mars" too much.

(I thought we agreed pages ago that ToE wasn't 100% proven. )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #87
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

[QUOTE=Nurvingiel]You guys have been watching "Mission to Mars" too much.
Where? When? Which Mars? The one we see from NASA photos or the other side where the aliens hide and shoot down our landing probes?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #88
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
(I thought we agreed pages ago that ToE wasn't 100% proven. )
Of course it isn't - but it's still the most SCIENTIFICALLY supported theory. I don't know why you are making this statement anyway. No one has said that the theory is 100% proven.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #89
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The reason I made that statement is I'm not sure why we're debating the ad with the scientists. (Or we were until Mars Attacks et al )

EDIT:
You're right, no one has said that Evolution is 100% proven. That's why I was wondering about the ad - you don't need to convince any of us that there are flaws in the theory.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 04-11-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #90
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
The reason I made that statement is I'm not sure why we're debating the ad with the scientists. (Or we were until Mars Attacks et al )

EDIT:
You're right, no one has said that Evolution is 100% proven. That's why I was wondering about the ad - you don't need to convince any of us that there are flaws in the theory.
Well the reason why we were discussing the ad is because Rian brought it up. She seems to want to erroneously indicate that it is routine for peoeple who support evolution to say that it is 100% proven or that we know everything there is to know about evolution. If that was the case - then when new fossils are found - scienitists wouldn't be revising things or tryign to see how things fit in - or where they fit in. As IR said - it's the usual tactic of creationists to take a quote of of context and try to show that evolution is wrong. As I have said before - creationists don't have a SCIENTIFICALLY backed theory of their own really - they can only support their so-called theory by trying to discredit evolution. That is what the ad attempts to do and that seems to be Rian's whole paln of attack too.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #91
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm a catholic, and I don't really understand what so many Catholics have against the idea of evolution. I even find it a rather exciting idea, that mankind has his roots in the other 'creatures' around him and that we are a cut above them because we evolved to a 'higher state', as it were.

Granted, unlike some evolutionists, I don't believe that it happened by itself. I think it was guided by God so that we are the way we are today.

I think the reason many Catholics don't believe in evolution, and try to strangle it and kick it down any chance they get, is because they misunderstand how evolution can be seen. It's very similar to the idea of man being made "In God's Image". Well, it's not talking about physically looking like God--it's talking about our having Souls/Spirits/Animus/whateveryouwanttocallit.

I'm not really buying into the idea that aliens came along and tampered with us . Clearly some people are using way too much hair gel and hair spray .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #92
jerseydevil

Actually Tessar - it's basically other Christian religions that knock down Evolution - not Catholics. Pope John Paul II said that Evolution was not in conflict with the Bible and that the vatican supported the theory of evolution. I was taught throughout catholic school Evolution. But I have known catholics who were against evolution also. I just wanted to point out though - from my experience - it isn't catholics who have the problem with it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #93
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Actually Tessar - it's basically other Christian religions that knock down Evolution - not Catholics. Pope John Paul II said that Evolution was not in conflict with the Bible and that the vatican supported the theory of evolution. I was taught throughout catholic school Evolution. But I have known catholics who were against evolution also. I just wanted to point out though - from my experience - it isn't catholics who have the problem with it.
You'll have to visit the 'Bible-Belt' where the ToE is considered pure evil, and where they picket or outright ban movies or TV or magazines which even mention things which go against the Creationist timeline.

Hell, they recently banned an IMAX flick on geothermal/vulcan bacterial life forms that alluded to that this was a good place for the origin of life.
Here
MrBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #94
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishop
You'll have to visit the 'Bible-Belt' where the ToE is considered pure evil, and where they picket or outright ban movies or TV or magazines which even mention things which go against the Creationist timeline.

Hell, they recently banned an IMAX flick on geothermal/vulcan bacterial life forms that alluded to that this was a good place for the origin of life.
Here
Oh - you don't have to tell me - I lived in Indiana for a few years. Btu generally it wasn't coming from Catholics - it was coming from Lutherans, Penticostals and Baptists, as well as others. I had a friend who wass sucked into the penticostal religion - which yes - I do consider it more of a cult than a religion - and she took her kids out of public school so they wouldn't be "contaminated by the evil teachings of evolution" - along with other evilness in the public school. Bu tthat's sort of off topic and should go into one of the many religious threads.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-11-2005, 04:04 PM   #95
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Still, you'll find a lot of Catholics who hate the very word 'Evolution'.

Actually my old science teacher was telling me not to long ago about how it's been discovered that mitochondrion have a different pattern from the other things in the human body (I think it was a different DNA pattern, but I can't recall exactly). So that, and other things about them, have lead some researchers to believe that they're a very basic, symbiotic life form and that they kind of 'attached' themselves to humans et all during evolution.

Pretty neat-o.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #96
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

symbiotic?

erm, Goa'uld ring a bell?, People of the Tau'ri, all hail Anubis!

Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #97
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Actually my old science teacher was telling me not to long ago about how it's been discovered that mitochondrion have a different pattern from the other things in the human body (I think it was a different DNA pattern, but I can't recall exactly). So that, and other things about them, have lead some researchers to believe that they're a very basic, symbiotic life form and that they kind of 'attached' themselves to humans et all during evolution.
That is correct, mitochondrion in all eucaryotic organisms have their own DNA that differs from that of their 'hosts'. This isn't a new discovery and it has been known for quite some time. Not only do some researchers believe the mitochondrial precursors developed a symbiotic relationship with early eucaryotic life-forms, but it's pretty much the general idea among scientists.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #98
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Oh - you don't have to tell me - I lived in Indiana for a few years. Btu generally it wasn't coming from Catholics - it was coming from Lutherans, Penticostals and Baptists, as well as others. I had a friend who wass sucked into the penticostal religion - which yes - I do consider it more of a cult than a religion - and she took her kids out of public school so they wouldn't be "contaminated by the evil teachings of evolution" - along with other evilness in the public school. Bu tthat's sort of off topic and should go into one of the many religious threads.
You can elaborate in Theology if you want. I'm sure the REAL debate thread for RELIGION would work too.

They banned... Volcanoes!? Just because I believe in the theory of Evolution doesn't mean I'd want to ban Veggie Tales. (Plus, Veggie Tales is cool.)
Quote:
Old 04-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #99
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
That is correct, mitochondrion in all eucaryotic organisms have their own DNA that differs from that of their 'hosts'. This isn't a new discovery and it has been known for quite some time. Not only do some researchers believe the mitochondrial precursors developed a symbiotic relationship with early eucaryotic life-forms, but it's pretty much the general idea among scientists.
and is in fact a great way to do research on human evolution today by looking at the mitochondrial DNA. Its a lot easier because it only passes from the mother and mitochondrial DNA doesnt recombine. If yer gonna find "Eve" this is the way to go.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #100
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
If yer gonna find "Eve" this is the way to go.
"Excuse me, madam, but may I borrow some of your DNA?"