Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 01:13 AM   #961
katya
Elven Maiden

^_^;;;

Hm, maybe I won`t tell you. And no more talking about it either because it`s too off topic. I just thought I`d say hi.

I think I am losing my tengwar again from lack of use. That and there isn`t much room left, what with all the kanji I`m memorizing. It`s painful.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:02 AM   #962
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum

Well, I'll certainly never be able to remember Tengwar.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:05 PM   #963
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I practiced a little more and I wrote what I call a rosetta. I suggest troll's bane and littleadanel don't look because it's *gasp* on lined paper.
Oh COME on! I never said that lined paper isn't ok, all I said was that it would be too easy that way. Cuz sooner or later I -must- stop writing upwards on plain paper (though it's said that those who write upwards are optimists ) so why not practice with Tengwar? But anyway, I do write Tengwar on lined paper too, esp. during boring lectures
Old 11-20-2005, 07:52 PM   #964
trolls' bane

I can definitely relate to that. *looks at all of last year's Spanish Tengwar*
Old 11-21-2005, 06:42 PM   #965
katya
Elven Maiden

Just be careful- I always start something and think "I`ll just practice technique..." on lined or really flimsy paper and then spend hours on it. There have been occasions where I whited out the blue lines and then copied something.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:19 AM   #966
trolls' bane

Gollum

Ha! No. I'm actually don't have problems with lined paper. Hey! My tengwar notebook is graphed paper!

Off Topic:
Katya! I saw you on Charmed today! You were a demon and they vanquished you! You were awesome! I didn't know you had shape shifting abilities!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #967
katya
Elven Maiden

Still off topic- Heeeeeh?! I have no recollection of this. Maybe I`m doing drugs after all... No, if it was me I wouldn`t have been vanquished. I didn`t know you watched Charmed, TB. I used to watch it back in elementary when I watched Dawson`s Creek too. I saw Dawson`s Creek dubbed into Japanese one time....

Lined paper is not so bad for tengwar since it`s a writing system, but it`s bad for pictures. Like it you were to make a really pretty design inocrporating tengwar I would not recommend lined paper. You can always draw construction lines to make sure you write straight, and then erase them. That`s what I would do, if I was smart. Instead, my tengwar tends to go down. Or get smaller. Yeah, I have a big problem with my characters getting small.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #968
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

*bumpsy - back to topic*

Look, lined paper And again. Booo-ooring lectures in Wednesday afternoons...

And, to make things more complicated, I'm currently practising not only Tengwar, but Angerthas, and the ancient Hungarian runes (not lining up with, well, any other runes, and it's right-to-left writing...)
Old 11-27-2005, 06:03 PM   #969
trolls' bane

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel
*bumpsy - back to topic*

Look, lined paper And again. Booo-ooring lectures in Wednesday afternoons...

And, to make things more complicated, I'm currently practising not only Tengwar, but Angerthas, and the ancient Hungarian runes (not lining up with, well, any other runes, and it's right-to-left writing...)
God forbid, right to left. I would never be able to do it. Only Leonardo DaVinci.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:00 AM   #970
katya
Elven Maiden

Japanese traditionally goes right to left and up and down. But nowadays a lot of the time it`s left to right and side to side. So when all the characters are evenly spread out sometimes people (even Japanese people) take a second to figure out which way to read.

To anyone I haven`t asked before, what are your opinions on tengwar and phonetic spelling versus letter-by-letter straight from English? What is the trend these days?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:35 AM   #971
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
God forbid, right to left. I would never be able to do it. Only Leonardo DaVinci.
Actually, I got used to it pretty quickly. You see, when writing rune-shapes, it doesnt't really matter if you begin on the left or right side of the paper. At least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
To anyone I haven`t asked before, what are your opinions on tengwar and phonetic spelling versus letter-by-letter straight from English? What is the trend these days?
Hmm... what I do is mostly a mix of the two. It's difficult to decide what things really sound like, not being a native English speaker and all. Tricksy diphthongs(sp?). I try to write the phonetic values (isn't that what Tengwar are about?) but sometimes I can't decide what to use, so simply write letter-by-letter.

Now, when I try Hungarian, it's a difficult matter in itself (see my ramblings to RÃ*an about the c-sound we have, about 2 pages back... And there are tricksy things I haven't even mentioned). I try my best to give our sound-values back; I ended up with some really weird solutions though...

Oh! and some days ago I found a website with Gondolinic runes (yess, another set of runes ) Hope it's not only me who didn't know them before... feel free to tell me off if I post things already discovered...

*rummages among her notes*

*can't find link*

*goes googling it*

gotcha!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:25 AM   #972
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Tsssk, who could have guessed that using lined paper once could generate so much discussion?

Quote:
I can't remember whether I answered it before so I'll do it again. I prefer letter-by-letter since, like for littleadanel, it is often hard to determine the sound of an English word as a non-native speaker. Especially since vowels used in Dutch often give a totally different sound than the same vowels used in English. So I write each letter in the runes or tengwar because otherwise I would get totally confused and not be able to read my own scribblings, which would be too embarrassing.

Quote:
Oh! and some days ago I found a website with Gondolinic runes (yess, another set of runes ) Hope it's not only me who didn't know them before... feel free to tell me off if I post things already discovered...
*cough* I can assure you you were not the only one. *cough*
Old 11-28-2005, 07:46 AM   #973
katya
Elven Maiden

Oooooh, I like the runes! Thank you for posting it! I want to learn them just because it says "Gondolin"..
Old 11-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #974
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
*cough* I can assure you you were not the only one. *cough*
Quote:
Oooooh, I like the runes! Thank you for posting it! I want to learn them just because it says "Gondolin"..
*feels glad*

(90 seconds, 90 seconds...)
Old 11-28-2005, 06:06 PM   #975
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

oooh, that is so cool, littleadanel! Gondolinic runes! I always wondered why Gandalf couldn't read the runes ... how fun to think they were Gondolinic now!

Thanks!!

What a shame that the Elfconners are so greedy with their papers

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #976
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
What a shame that the Elfconners are so greedy with their papers
Yeah, bummer I know, it must be enormous work to make these things ready for publication... but I s'ppose there's some greediness just as well.

But still, there's LOADS of info on the net and I'm very grateful for that.

(Reminds me of the slogan of a radio programme here, when they advertised the DJ's chat site or somehing... "that's what the internet exists fooor" )
Old 12-02-2005, 01:39 PM   #977
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Alright, not writing, but drawing... Linky here I tried to copy the ROTK White Tree-image... And the stars above... the way I doodle stars when I'm bored. My notebooks are full of stars like this
Old 02-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #978
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Bumpety-bang

My 3rd post in a row... but anyway.

I found some very beautiful papers at the bottom of the drawer today... Some time ago, I used to write letters very often, and bought some really nice papers for it. Now I use them quite differently... Yep, Tengwar. Who would've thought?

Link one - the words of Eärendil, and, later, Aragorn. Somehow seemed fit for the boat (the last part is the Hungarian translation - ignore.)

Link two - yes, I know it's tiny... It's Galadriel's lament.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #979
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
My 3rd post in a row... but anyway.

I found some very beautiful papers at the bottom of the drawer today... Some time ago, I used to write letters very often, and bought some really nice papers for it. Now I use them quite differently... Yep, Tengwar. Who would've thought?

Link one - the words of Eärendil, and, later, Aragorn. Somehow seemed fit for the boat (the last part is the Hungarian translation - ignore.)

Link two - yes, I know it's tiny... It's Galadriel's lament.
those are gorgeous! keep up the good work!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #980
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

thank you!

Those were really beautiful papers, and I wanted to use them for something - I can't even remember when I bought them, and it's not likely that I write a letter very soon... When I looked at the boat, I immediately thought of Eärendil; and those falling leaves - Galadriel.