Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #941
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Amazing how they can manage that ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #942
Mari
Elf Lady

Yeah. You'd almost start to think they are evil geniuses who do it on purpose.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #943
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hayfever season... It's late but -alas- here. Aaaargh!
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #944
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*hands Earniel a nice soft scented hankie*

Bless you, m'dear! *hugs*

OK, vent - I just accidentally discovered a THREE. FREAKIN'. THOUSAND. dollar mistake by my insurance company. Benefits them, of course

And two days ago, my ATM card wouldn't work at a store - I tried to use it and it said "invalid PIN". Went to the bank the next day, and it didn't work there, either. Went to the teller, who blithely said that she could reset my PIN. Aren't you worried about why it changed, asks me. Oh, no, I don't know why it changed, answers she, but I can reset it to what you want. Isn't it rather a danger flag that my PIN changed, and I didn't change it, ask I. Oh, no, I've never heard of that happening, but I"m sure it's fine, responds she. May I see the manager, ask I. Repeat of same with manager, who can't speak English well at all. I insist that he notify the bank's security department, which he does in English so poor that it makes no sense at all (he showed me the email for my approval - I just said fine, and decided to go to my regular branch, where they are competent and nice). He gives me more wrong info about my son's account for 10 minutes, then sees his mistake and apologizes. I go to the ATM on the way out, and take out some cash, and notice that there is $16,000 missing from my account.

Yes, $16,000 - we sold my in-laws' townhouse and have money in our account to pay the taxes.

And now it's gone, on the day after my PIN is changed, and not by me.

Connection, anyone?

I run out of the branch, get in my car and head for my regular branch, calling my husband on the way to make sure he didn't happen to spend $16,000 and forget to tell me (he didn't).

I get to my branch, ignore the tellers asking if they can help me and head straight for the manager (great guy - nice and very competent), my hair standing on end and with a wild look in my eyes. He calms me down and within 1 minute, we found the problem - the incompetent manager at the other branch, when he reset my PIN, linked my card to the wrong account.

*sigh*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #945
Earniel

Oh my gosh, RÃ*an, that's a little more unnerving than allergy issues! I hope the nice, compentent bank manager managed to rectify the mess-up. But that's just beyond stupid of the first bank manager, and I daresay grounds for dismissal.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #946
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Beyond possible dismissal - I wonder how the guy got in that position in the first place.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #947
Mari
Elf Lady

So why DID the pin change?

I got a new card today because the validity of my current one will end soon... in November 2014.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #948
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Beyond possible dismissal - I wonder how the guy got in that position in the first place.
With the banks being what they are these days, I stopped wondering about that, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I got a new card today because the validity of my current one will end soon... in November 2014.
That's... timely.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #949
Rían

I'm so tired of all this bad health ... my daughter seemed to be reacting so well to the new treatment when we went back to New Jersey, and as far as the RSD/CRPS, she's still in remission, which is wonderful! but she's so exhausted all the time. She still cant manage a full day of school. We just try to get her to as many classes as possible - just 2 and a half more weeks until she's out of school. We've been back almost a month now, and the fatigue is not going away there's definitely something wrong. I'll get her to her regular doctor this week for some blood tests, I guess. I think they were so aggressive with all of those surgical procedures when they were trying to stop the RSD - she got one a month on average, and more frequently as time went on, and it was so hard to recover from them. I think she's just so exhausted mentally and physically, and just needs to be out of school. But now I think it might be something else.

I hate Arizona - it's been one horrible thing after another since we've moved here. I hate the state, and I've always hated the state. I hate the stupid rocks and cactus and the dryness. I miss the green and the ocean in California ...

Old 05-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #950
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I'm looking for a job right now. Which means I spend the entire day in front of my computer .... this lead to a serious addiction to the online Game of Thrones Ascent game. Sometimes I don't even want to leave the house because I need to send my ingame sworn swords on missions etc. Oh boy ... can it get any wore?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #951
Earniel

I can think of a number of ways it can get worse, yes. Buuut I'm just going to say: good luck with that job hunting!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #952
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I can think of a number of ways it can get worse, yes. Buuut I'm just going to say: good luck with that job hunting!
Thanks!

I can think of worse things, too. But I am really worried about how a game can infiltrate your life and attack your social life
Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #953
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
But I am really worried about how a game can infiltrate your life and attack your social life
I remember back in the day when a certain messageboard kinda did just that to me
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #954
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I remember back in the day when a certain messageboard kinda did just that to me
Amen! I second that memory!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #955
Valandil

Bummer. Someone stole our church van last night.

It was locked, no key inside, and parked in our church parking lot. There was broken glass on the pavement about where the passenger door should have been.

It has been reliable and relatively trouble-free for us - and will be hard to replace affordably if we have to. But it was a 1997 15-passenger van. I wonder who would want to steal that?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #956
Mari
Elf Lady

Someone with a lot of kids?
No insurance though? I'm sorry it happened.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #957
Valandil

Thank you.

No theft insurance. Don't know what's common in Europe, but here in the states, all vehicles must have liability coverage - to take care of damage done to others. It's optional to get coverage on the vehicle itself, for theft and/or collision. It typically doesn't make sense with older vehicles, to get those coverages, because the value is so low compared with the cost of the coverage. And the van is 16 years old!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #958
Mari
Elf Lady

I'm not sure how insurance is taken care of here, actually. I don't own a car. I guess I figured cars fell under a general insurance.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #959
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
No theft insurance. Don't know what's common in Europe, but here in the states, all vehicles must have liability coverage - to take care of damage done to others. It's optional to get coverage on the vehicle itself, for theft and/or collision. It typically doesn't make sense with older vehicles, to get those coverages, because the value is so low compared with the cost of the coverage. And the van is 16 years old!
Sounds similar to what we have here... Still sucks, though. I never quite liked how perfectly working cars that just happen to be older never are worth much with insurances. If it works fine and is well-looked after, it's age shouldn't matter as much. And it will always costs more to find a working, similar replacement. When our car was totalled a year or two ago, searching for a replacement was rather difficult.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #960
Rían

why why WHY don't I have three more strings below C on my harp?!?!?!?! Oh, I WISH I had known just a LITTLE more before I bought it As it is, I have to rearrange so much for want of the B, A and G strings below the C OTOH, it's made me learn a lot about arranging and it IS nice and light and easy to work with, which is a plus with my lack of strength.