Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #941
katya
Elven Maiden

We weren't planning on the 3D. We went to a new cinema for the first time and got lost looking for it, so we were late for the regular showing. We went to the 3D instead because it was starting soon, but most of the seats were taken. We were lucky to get seats next to each other without a lot of hassle. (BTW if you've seen my Facebook profile pic, those are the glasses from the theater.)
Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #942
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Ah, I noticed the glasses but didn't recognise them!

I kept mine. They're fantastic, they show the real world in 3D too! But then, so do my normal glasses...
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #943
katya
Elven Maiden

I recycled mine like a good kid, but my boyfriend kept his. I used to put on my mom's glasses when I was little for the "real life in 3D" effect.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #944
Jonathan

There are different kinds of 3D though.

When I was in London several years ago, I watched a science fiction film with some heavy electronic high-tech glasses (that contained liquid crystals, I was told). Those glasses really made things look as if they broke out of the screen and entered the cinema (I swear, that T-Rex at the beginning came inches from biting my head off).

"Avatar" was more like looking through a portal into another world. There was no genuine breach of the "4th wall". So although the 3D was great, it won't remain my most vivid 3D experience.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #945
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I especially liked those floating luminescent jellyfish things. I remember wondering whether they bite, like mosquitoes?
They reminded me more of seeds than of living creatures.

I had to laugh because in one of my old, still unfinished stories I had biolumenescent seeds and if I ever finish it now, people will think I plagiarised that scene from Avatar.

Quote:
I kept mine. They're fantastic, they show the real world in 3D too! But then, so do my normal glasses...
You got to keep yours? Ours were solid plastic and reusable and everybody had to hand them in. They even had a anti-theft tag in them. But then again, I went to one of the big cinemas of town, I reckon they can afford to invest in such systems.

Quote:
"Avatar" was more like looking through a portal into another world. There was no genuine breach of the "4th wall". So although the 3D was great, it won't remain my most vivid 3D experience.
The ash-scene came quite close, I think. And at one point I wanted to grumble about people putting their hands up in my view, until I noticed they were blue hands...
Old 01-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #946
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
You got to keep yours? Ours were solid plastic and reusable and everybody had to hand them in. They even had a anti-theft tag in them. But then again, I went to one of the big cinemas of town, I reckon they can afford to invest in such systems.
Well I figured that when I watch Alice in Wonderland in 3D, I could try to persuade them to give me a discount because I already have a pair of glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
The ash-scene came quite close, I think. And at one point I wanted to grumble about people putting their hands up in my view, until I noticed they were blue hands...
Hm, there was a moment when a guy, who just returned from the men's room, was seemingly trod on by one of those big mechanical exoskeletons.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #947
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
We have a recycle bin, but no one to enforce recycling. I thought those things looked like seeds too.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #948
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

The premise of "The Book of Eli" sounds very interesting. I'm pretty sure I'll disapprove of the overly-gore-y blood and violence that is supposed to be the mainstay of action movies these days, but I might see it despite that.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 01-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #949
katya
Elven Maiden

A bunch of my friends were gonna see that tonight and I wanted to go (no idea what it's about, just wanted to get out) but if there's blood and gore then count me out.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #950
Midge
Faithful Gardener

My brother saw it and said it was good. I'm going to see "The Blind Side" with a friend tomorrow night. I'm pretty excited! I've heard lots of good things about it.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #951
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
Everything you heard was correct , great movie!
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 01-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #952
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

I saw 'The Hurt Locker' the other day - probably the best war movie I've ever seen.

I'd like to see 'Avatar' despite all the critique I've read online about it's problematic aspects - colonialism and so forth. If it's Pocahontas, that'll bother me. Not enough to stop me from seeing it, though.

Does anyone know how a person wearing regular eyeglasses might see it in 3D? Do they have clip-on versions of the 3D glasses or anything?

Old 01-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #953
katya
Elven Maiden

My boyfriend just sat in the front row.... I don't know any good options.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #954
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikanáro View Post
Does anyone know how a person wearing regular eyeglasses might see it in 3D? Do they have clip-on versions of the 3D glasses or anything?
I just wore them over my regular glasses which worked splendidly. The 3D ones are quite big.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #955
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

"Zombieland"- fantastically funny, even though it has fast zombies, usually one of my pet peeves. At least they're human speed, not superfast.

The middle part dragged somewhat- they should have tossed out the whole Bill Murray section- but the first halfwas great, especially explaining the survival rules. One of the conventions of zombie movies is that the human beings have to do incredibly stupid things that expose them to attack; it played off that very well.

It'll have to hold me until they make a movie out of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 02-13-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #956
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I've flipped casually through that (the book), though I haven't read the whole thing. I have to say: pretty frickin' funny.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #957
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Read the reviews over at Rotten Tomatoes, and everybody else seemed to love Bill Murray, so maybe it's just me.

But, yeah, it's basically a warm-hearted romantic comedy with drooling undead brain-eaters popping out now and then.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 02-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #958
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
Just watched Percy Jackson & The Olympians, It's gotten bad reviews but I liked it.
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #959
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
The premise of "The Book of Eli" sounds very interesting. I'm pretty sure I'll disapprove of the overly-gore-y blood and violence that is supposed to be the mainstay of action movies these days, but I might see it despite that.
Interesting but a little unlikely, don't you think?
I mean, there's one copy of the KJV in the whole of post-apocalypse America? This of a book that is in every motel room drawer in the country?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #960
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Interesting but a little unlikely, don't you think?
I mean, there's one copy of the KJV in the whole of post-apocalypse America? This of a book that is in every motel room drawer in the country?
That's why it sounds so interesting. And who gives a fig for likelihood anymore? Even serious movies are unlikely.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Closed Thread