FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 08:42 AM   #921
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Ach, you write fast, Laai!

<-- Would love some more interjections now. I keep using 'Ach'.

Har du redan läst min email? Aber es war so lang!

Å, och har du hört sången 'Se på mig' av Johan Johansen? Texterna är vackra.
Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about that .... sorry.

Hmm, but something that is always good is quite the same as in English (is it an interjection? ... not really): Oh mein Gott!

Ja, ich habe es gelesen. Ich liebe lange Mails. Und es war sehr gut.

I am trying to download that song.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:51 AM   #922
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

That's ok. I've just gotten sick of using the same ones over and over. I can't even use 'Ack' because Ruinel will claim I've stolen it from her.

War es sehr gut? Gut! Ich liebe Deutsch, es ist sehr schön! (I love the language, especially when sung). Und, wenn ich deine Deutsch verstehen kann, freue ich mich! Das macht Spaß!
I wonder how bad the word order was there? I think I'm mixing up word order from different languages.

Heute esse ich zu viel. *Pats stomach*

Last edited by Linaewen : 01-24-2004 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:26 AM   #923
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Jan Johansen competed with the song 'Se på mig' in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1995. It is a nice song.

Songs in German have a special charm.

Grey Wolf, who sung "som en boll kommer jag tillbax till dej"? Never heard of it before.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #924
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
That's ok. I've just gotten sick of using the same ones over and over. I can't even use 'Ack' because Ruinel will claim I've stolen it from her.

War es sehr gut? Gut! Ich liebe Deutsch, es ist sehr schön! (I love the language, especially when sung). Und, wenn ich deine Deutsch verstehen kann, freue ich mich! Das macht Spaß!
I wonder how bad the word order was there? I think I'm mixing up word order from different languages.

Heute esse ich zu viel. *Pats stomach*
Be sure that you will get some cool interjections from me.

Ja, es war sehr gut. Ich werde noch ein paar gute Lieder für dich suchen.

Your word order was perfectly fine. It's only "dein Deutsch". But that has nothing to do with word order.

Hmm, actually nobody here would say "Heute esse ich zu viel." It sounds a little bit weird. You know, we don't have all these present tenses, only one. And if you are talking about this day you would say: "Heute habe ich zu viel gegessen."
I guess it's because we don't have a progressive form.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:49 AM   #925
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan

That's very true! Das ist wahr!

Damit musstest du rechnen, nicht nur ich hab es geahnt
Denn du hast nicht den deinen Taten entsprechenden Weg für dich gebahnt
Wie doch alle an dich glaubten, alle strömten zu dir

Thanks for that, Laai! Though I must blame you & some others for getting me too interested in your languages, if my grades in Indonesian and English drop or something.

A question: does anyone else have a native language that differs from their first language? I've recently seen these terms defined thus:
Native speaker => a person who speaks a language as their first language and has not learned it as a foreign language
First language => the language that you learn to speak first as a child; the language that you speak best
Old 01-24-2004, 12:28 PM   #926
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Jan Johansen competed with the song 'Se på mig' in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1995. It is a nice song.

Grey Wolf, who sung "som en boll kommer jag tillbax till dej"? Never heard of it before.
The Artist who sung it was M A Nominen (not particularly well-known. Couldn't find him on the internet).
Old 01-24-2004, 06:50 PM   #927
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:

Thanks for that, Laai! Though I must blame you & some others for getting me too interested in your languages, if my grades in Indonesian and English drop or something.

A question: does anyone else have a native language that differs from their first language? I've recently seen these terms defined thus:
Native speaker => a person who speaks a language as their first language and has not learned it as a foreign language
First language => the language that you learn to speak first as a child; the language that you speak best
I only speak German. As a native and first language.

Honey, it's not my fault that you get to interested. Get yourself an indonesian boy.

I know some people who speak two languages and it is something between first langauge and native speaker. But that definitions confuse me.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:47 PM   #928
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Oh, yeah, sorry about those definitions. I quoted the wrong one. I meant this one:

Quote:
According to linguistics, I was told that 'native' means the language we pick up from our parents (often from our mothers) and 'first' means the language we somewhat later acquire and use for the rest of our lives.
I'm confused as to what language of mine is what. I have 2 native dialects of Chinese, and Cambodian is another native language. But English is my first language.

I know it's my fault. I think I've pressured people into teaching me bits and pieces of 5 languages at once. Ik hou van Nederlandse meervouden!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:53 PM   #929
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Could someone translate these for me? The first is Deutsch and the second Nederlands. Ta.

Gmäeß eneir Sutide eneir elgnihcesn Uvinisterät, ist es nchit witihcg in wlecehr Rneflogheie die Bstachuebn in eneim Wrot snid, das ezniige was
wcthiig ist, ist daß der estre und der leztte Bstabchue an der ritihcegn Pstoiion snid. Der Rset knan ein ttoaelr Bsinöldn sien, tedztorm knan man ihn onhe Pemoblre lseen. Das ist so, wiel wir nciht jeedn Bstachuebn enzelin leesn, snderon das Wrot als gseatems.

----

Vlgones een oznrdeeok op een Eglnese uvinretsiet mkaat het neit uit in wlkee vloogdre de ltteers in een wrood saatn, het einge wat blegnaijrk is is dat de eretse en de ltaatse ltteer op de jiutse patals saatn. De rset van de ltteers mgoen wllikueirg gpletaast wdoren en je knut vrelvogens gwoeon lzeen wat er saatt. Dit kmot odmat we neit ekle ltteer op zcih lzeen maar het wrood als gheeel.

Last edited by Linaewen : 01-24-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:17 AM   #930
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Gmäeß eneir Sutide eneir elgnihcesn Uvinisterät, ist es nchit witihcg in wlecehr Rneflogheie die Bstachuebn in eneim Wrot snid, das ezniige was
wcthiig ist, ist daß der estre und der leztte Bstabchue an der ritihcegn Pstoiion snid. Der Rset knan ein ttoaelr Bsinöldn sien, tedztorm knan man ihn onhe Pemoblre lseen. Das ist so, wiel wir nciht jeedn Bstachuebn enzelin leesn, snderon das Wrot als gseatems.
Heh-heh. I could understand that. I'm impressed by myself.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:26 AM   #931
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Good on you! I only get a bit of it. I've tried to find the Norwegian version, with no luck.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:54 AM   #932
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Could someone translate these for me? The first is Deutsch and the second Nederlands. Ta.

Where did you get that from? Why is it soooo wrong?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:05 AM   #933
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Where did you get that from? Why is it soooo wrong?
It doesn't matter if it is wrong, it says so in the message.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:51 AM   #934
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Vlgones een oznrdeeok op een Eglnese uvinretsiet mkaat het neit uit in wlkee vloogdre de ltteers in een wrood saatn, het einge wat blegnaijrk is is dat de eretse en de ltaatse ltteer op de jiutse patals saatn. De rset van de ltteers mgoen wllikueirg gpletaast wdoren en je knut vrelvogens gwoeon lzeen wat er saatt. Dit kmot odmat we neit ekle ltteer op zcih lzeen maar het wrood als gheeel.
Mwahahah! Ooh, that's a goooood one! There may be some thruth in it though, especially since I was able to read it however how mangled.

Lin, do you really want it translated or are you trying to pul my leg?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:53 AM   #935
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Yes, I'd be rather disturbed if you couldn't tell there was something wrong there, Laai.

Are tehre any Sediswh or Nworeiagn veirsnos? I wulod lkie to see how wlel I culod raed it.

Oh, Enäreil, I am jsut plulnig yuor leg. Han'vet you seen taht bfoere?

Last edited by Linaewen : 01-25-2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:03 AM   #936
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:

Okay, translating. Acutally I know the studie.

According to a study of an english university it is not important in which order the letters of a word are, the only thing that matter is that hte first and the last letter are in the right position (order). The rest can be totally stupid, you can read it nevertheless without any problems. That is because we don't read every single letter but the word as a whole.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:50 AM   #937
Earniel

Quote:
Oh, Enäreil, I am jsut plulnig yuor leg. Han'vet you seen taht bfoere?
Thought so. No I hadn't seen this before.

Lalaith, you should mangle the text in English as well, it conveys the meaning so well.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:45 AM   #938
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Why dn'dit you mgnale it, Niel?

Hey, Nerdanel, just had a brief look at Finnish grammar. It's mind-boggling, no wonder it's difficult. 15 cases, moods, consonant degradations...that would take a while to learn! And I thought Polish's 19 verb groups (or whatever) was tough!

What's the difference between 'viro' and 'eesti'?

Leipäläpi umpeen!
Kita kiinni!
Kita kii!
Naama kiinni!
Turpa rullalle

I like these. (Words for 'Shut up!') There are lots more, too. What is it with you Finns and your peace and quiet?

Last edited by Linaewen : 01-26-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #939
Earniel

Quote:
Why sluhod I hvae menlgad it? You did already know what it meant, didn't you? Or do you want to see if I would translate it differently than Lalaith?
Old 01-26-2004, 05:45 PM   #940
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:

Hey, Nerdanel, just had a brief look at Finnish grammar. It's mind-boggling, no wonder it's difficult. 15 cases, moods, consonant degradations...that would take a while to learn! And I thought Polish's 19 verb groups (or whatever) was tough!

What's the difference between 'viro' and 'eesti'?

Leipäläpi umpeen!
Kita kiinni!
Kita kii!
Naama kiinni!
Turpa rullalle

I like these. (Words for 'Shut up!') There are lots more, too. What is it with you Finns and your peace and quiet?
Yeah nice, isn't it!

I don't think the difference is big; eesti is more like Swedish, maybe a loan word. We use Viro more.

turpa kiinni is the most common expression for shut up. Where do you find all that?

There's no peace and quiet here when we're drunk; that's when we say everything we've always wanted to say.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Closed Thread