Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #921
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I've tried Cirth, yes, but I knew the futhark (the nordic runes) first, and the two don't line up. So I get confused. I do mean to get better at Cirth, though.

My DA page
Old 10-27-2005, 05:03 PM   #922
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*reads the Tengwar question*

Sorry, LittleAdanel But dads have a lot to worry about ...

I hope you can get the books soon. In the meantime, enjoy the pens!

*gives a dirty look to her unuseable scanner*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-27-2005, 05:30 PM   #923
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
I've tried Cirth, yes, but I knew the futhark (the nordic runes) first, and the two don't line up. So I get confused. I do mean to get better at Cirth, though.
Oh yes, I so know what you mean. I knew Tolkien's runes first so I can probably never learn the original furthark. It's quite a bummer because I'm an archaeology and mythology nut, and then I'm probably more with knowing the orginal runes. But with the different sound values for identical runes I so know I'll get too confused to ever know both. But at least I got the code for futhark noted down somewhere too so I can always translate futhark with a book, but not by memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel
Yeppers, I've tried them also it's just that whatever I try, are pretty good for English, but not for Hungarian. At least 3 sounds (2 vowels and a consonant) always missing. Maybe I should go back to ancient Hungarian runes to write in Hungarian... I learned them a coupla years ago... hmm...
Eh, I didn't even think of that. I suppose I can count myself lucky that English and Dutch don't have big differences in alphabet.

And about the pens... MOOTHUG!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #924
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

I can't translate Cirth without a book...there's just so many, and they don't follow a nice regular pattern like the Tengwar. I like the Tengwar.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 10-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #925
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
I had some calligraphy pens once. I used them for Tengwar, until they were either lost or broken.
Aww, I don't want them to be broken... Funny, it was one of the first things to come into my mind after I bought them. I'll try to take care...

And now a couple of linksess...

I started using Angerthas by writing this down many-many times, I still got them in my fingers

Angerthas for Eärniel - thankee for the hug

And I take back what I said, cuz today I checked Angerthas, and there are signs for the vowels I'm always missing (ö and ü). But that friggin' consonant is nowhere to be seen. (We write it as c, and it sounds the same as the z in German Zeit, for example.)

And here comes something in Tengwar, again

It's a bit long, and when I'm writing this much, I always feel like messing it up... Anyway, it's an ancient Irish hymn, at least so my photocopy says. I really dunno where I got it from, most likely some high-school stuff from English lessons. But it's beautiful, IMO.

Edit: anyway, here it is... so you know what you see.

Be Thou my Vision O Lord of my heart
Nought be all else to me save that Thou art
Thou my best thought by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light

Be Thou my Wisdom and Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee and Thou with me Lord
Thou my great Father and I thy true son
Thou in me dwelling and I with Thee one

Riches I heed not nor man's empty praise
Thou mine inheritance now and always
Thou and Thou only first in my heart
High King of Heaven my treasure Thou art

High King of Heaven, my victory won
May I reach Heaven's joys, bright Heaven's sun
Heart of my own heart whatever befall
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of All

Last edited by littleadanel : 10-28-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #926
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
*reads the Tengwar question*

Sorry, LittleAdanel But dads have a lot to worry about ...
Yes they do... but talking, talking and more talking, and surprise! you know what's hurting the other family member. Sheesh, silly, childish me. I should know my dad better after 19 years spent with him Know that he's not that talkative, so I'll have to guess, but better, ask what's wrong. And act according to that.

Quote:
I hope you can get the books soon. In the meantime, enjoy the pens!

*gives a dirty look to her unuseable scanner*
Actually, book problem is solved... by granny.
So, my bro & me are travelling to the town where our aunt lives, to spend this weekend with her. And on Monday I don't come straight home, but go to see my doctor in the capital (which means MANY good bookstores as well). And granny gave extra pocket money to both of us.

*conversation with dad*

Me: " ... I thought that if I can find Tolkien books, I might buy one or two... and since granny gave us pocket money, I'd buy it from that, is it OK that way?"
Dad: "Of course it is."
Me: "THANK you. * * "

And as you could see in the post above, I definitely enjoy my pens And I'm working on my Hungarian Tengwar as well. I've already decided on the two Tehtar for ö and ü, but for the c consonant I don't have a clue... There are some unused Tengwar, but I don't know which one to pick without ending up being totally illogical.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #927
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That's beautiful, Littleadanel! And I love that hymn - one of my all-time favorites. It has a beautiful and unique melody, too, IMO.

For the "c", if it sounds the same as the German Z in "zeit", can't you just use the z symbol? (#31 or #32) It's one of my favorites to write, too

I'm glad the book problem is solved, and I hope you can get Morgoth's Ring!! Have fun shopping

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #928
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

*popping in for a quick post while waiting for bro to get finished in the bathroom*

Well, we have both a z sound and this c sound, being different, so I already use the z-tengwar... Maybe I'll make up a new one hmm, a curly one like the z-tengwa, yet a bit different from that... *enjoys pondering over Tengwar shapes*

Anyway, gotta go gotta go... Looking forward to a great weekend
Old 10-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #929
Rían

Maybe the z-tengwa with a modifier stroke on it? Is your "C" sound more airy than the "Z" sound, kind of like the German "CH" sound?

Old 10-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #930
Earniel

Quote:
Angerthas for Eärniel - thankee for the hug
You're welcome. It's nice to see you use the half E-rune, that's something I only discovered recently.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:33 PM   #931
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum

Tengwar Wikipedia Entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengwar

I was wondering if I could download a tengwar font from somewhere. The suggestions in this article are very confusing.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:31 PM   #932
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Back at home... my own bed to sleep in internet access and the end of autumn break the day after tomorrow

And HoME books are much more expensive than I remembered I thought I could buy two, but I could afford only one. Anyway, that one is Morgoth's Ring

Quote:
Maybe the z-tengwa with a modifier stroke on it? Is your "C" sound more airy than the "Z" sound, kind of like the German "CH" sound?
Errrm... no. Ooh, how could I explain, it... it sounds like... like t+s put together. If you pronounce let's quickly, and t+s at the end seem to merge into one sound, that's it. Of course, I could simply write t+s, or a t with an s-curl... I just would like to have a separate sign, because after all it's a separate letter in our alphabet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
It's nice to see you use the half E-rune, that's something I only discovered recently.
Well, I discovered it after trying to read the line written in Angerthas on my copy of LOTR I'm just not sure where to use it, apart from "the".
Old 10-31-2005, 02:35 PM   #933
Rían

Quote:
Errrm... no. Ooh, how could I explain, it... it sounds like... like t+s put together. If you pronounce let's quickly, and t+s at the end seem to merge into one sound, that's it.
*tries it out*
Oh, I see - that's a good explanation!

Quote:
Of course, I could simply write t+s, or a t with an s-curl... I just would like to have a separate sign, because after all it's a separate letter in our alphabet.
I think the t with an s-curl would work well - there's letters in the English alphabet that don't have a corresponding tengwa. For example, "x" is K+S-curl.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:58 PM   #934
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

True s'ppose I'll do that.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #935
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Hmm, well, I wrote much in these days, but mostly Hungarian texts... I won't bother you with those I just loved writing poems from LOTR - it brought back the feeling of Christmas 2001 when I read it for the first time, and it was so beautiful I just had to try & learn some by heart. And I still remember them

Anyway, there are some English ones, too - one in Tengwar, one in Angerthas - the poem about the Istari from the Unfinished Tales, and the ending verse of Gimli's song in Moria.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #936
trolls' bane

Gollum

Cool!
Old 11-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #937
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Thankee It seems finally I learned how to write in straight lines
Old 11-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #938
trolls' bane

LOL! I have yet to learn that .
Old 11-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #939
Earniel

That's why *cough* some of us use lined paper instead.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:15 PM   #940
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Ohh, it would be too easy that way