Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #921
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Rawr...

My car is getting into the old tenured stage where it feels it has license to just break every now and then. Radiator has a crack in it and it's going to be 350 dollars to fix it.

I just took it to the shop (the temperature gauge was staying PAST the red area for extended periods of time) and left it there. But there's a lot of drama between my husband and my dad (sigh), except my husband was at work, so my dad came and helped me figure out what to do with it. Plus I needed a ride home.

I don't know how my husband is going to react. On the one hand, obviously, it was broken and needed to get fixed, or else the engine might have been damaged more badly. On the other hand, I didn't really ask my husband for advice (didn't have a chance - the shop was closing in -10 minutes by this time).

So now I'm at home and I'm waiting for an argument that is going to pop out of nowhere and be based on the fact that my husband feels like my dad is... I don't know, encroaching on our ... something. I kind of understand it, but I kind of don't.

AND there's supposed to be this big ol' ice storm coming tonight that reminds everyone of the big ice storm in 2007 for which I'm not prepared and I'll be stuck in our house that gets really really cold. I'm hoping the electricity doesn't go out, but whatever.

AND my husband apparently changed his Steam password and won't tell me the new one, so I can't even play Skyrim to get my mind off it.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #922
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Aaaaaah, I have to prepare a presentation for my thesis defense and it seems that I am absolutely unable to do so!

PLUS, my computer doesn't work anymore so I have to use the laptop of my boyfriend. I absolutely hate working on "strange" computers, I can't seem to get anything done. I want my new computer ASAP!!!! One month without my own computer is enough, my poor computer-addicted self can't stand it any longer!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #923
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Hey Lalaith, how cool to see you here again! How are you doing these days?

Thesis presentation does sound a bit stressful, and computer problems can be a PAIN. I hope it'll all work out for you. And that you'll get a shiny new computer in the process
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #924
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Hey Jonathan, it's nice to see that I'm still remembered

I finally got my new computer, so at least I can stop complaining about that now! It's so fast ... it was worth the wait!

But I still can't stop whining about that presentation. In 24 hours it will all be over and I'm definitely glad about that.

I'm fine or at least will be fine once the presentation is over, hahahahaha. In an act of procrastination I decided to go back to the things I loved doing when I was younger (aka being on Entmoot)
AND, after many years of denial I am ready to admit that I do like Fantasy books and that LotR wasn't the exception but the rule.

How about you?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #925
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Good to hear some good ol' procrastination managed to beat that stupid denial thing! Once a LotR nerd, ALWAYS a LotR nerd

And I think you broke some kind of inofficial record, returning to Entmoot after a hiatus of what? 8 years? That's something for the books
As for this old Entmoot junkie, I never really left But I'm quite inactive these days, except for a little bit of modding every once in a while (yep, I finally made admin!)

Things are good, thanks! I'm in the middle of buying myself a new flat. It's going to be SUPER, having a proper kitchen again and whatnot. But for the sake of venting... the stupid banks seem quite reluctant to offer me a loan that's not a complete rip-off. Oh well.

Well good to see you Lai. You should stick around for a while Too bad your soul mate Lin isn't around, otherwise you two would surely come up with some mischief
But maybe you're not as mischievous anylonger? Like, I see you've taken down that, hmm, "voluptuous" Majandra Delfino avatar

Edit: Your presentation will go splendidly!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 03-04-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #926
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Thanks, the presenation did go fine and now I'm finally no longer a student. Yaaaaay. So no venting here. Is there a happy thread?

Yes, I nominate myself for the award for Long Lost Daughter Returned!!!!

Mischief? Me? I don't know what you are talking about!!! I am a serious adult now Well, my soul mate said that she still goes online sometimes, but not much. There's always Facebook to know what mischief she is up to

That was Majandra Delfino? Damn, that thing was so small that I thought it was Melissa Joan Hart and therefore I wanted to picture gone. I miss Majandra on television ... yes, finally something to vent about!
I WANT Majandra back on the screen!

AND I want my own (bigger) apartment. Can't stand the little flat I'm living in anymore.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #927
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Holy HELL! Lalaith? I remember you, goodness it's been a long age in the reckoning of both men and elves for your return. I think we should bake you a cake...
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #928
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Every time I have to babysit the baby nephew, the trains are a mess. Whyyyyy? If it isn't an accident that closed down the one stretch of railway I needed to travel across, then it's strikes, delays or general mayhem.

Last time was a succession of delayed train, cancelled train, train that went only halfway where I needed to be, train delayed so much that the train that came after that actually arrived first and then to top it off a late bus. It's already a two hour trip to home in the first place.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #929
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
Holy HELL! Lalaith? I remember you, goodness it's been a long age in the reckoning of both men and elves for your return. I think we should bake you a cake...
A virtual cake, yes please
Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #930
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*Offers up freshly baked virtual cake* Virtually fat free, too!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #931
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
*Offers up freshly baked virtual cake* Virtually fat free, too!
Thank you!

I don`t want to forget to vent either, so here you go:

After having recuperated (a little bit) from my last book hangover, I just finished another series of books (a trilogy, read it in like 10 days) and the horrible feeling of loss and sadness is upon my again (aka the book hangover has returned). When will I be able to touch another book? How long do I need to suffer the consequences of an incredibly good series this time?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #932
katya
Elven Maiden

I know that feeling. Usually if it's really bad, I end up reading about the book(s) I just finished for a bit and sticking to non-fiction until it wears off. But it really is sad sometimes, isn't it? Like losing friends...
Old 04-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #933
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
I know that feeling. Usually if it's really bad, I end up reading about the book(s) I just finished for a bit and sticking to non-fiction until it wears off. But it really is sad sometimes, isn't it? Like losing friends...
I also read a lot about the books but that just makes it worse. Now I just feel like I am waiting for another part of the series but I know that's probably not going to happpen.
The author said that she might write another part (some time ago) but I doubt that will ever happen. And if it happens, that will not be soon enough.

Now I'm reading a story written by a friend and I don't really like her writing style. I already dread the moment when she askes me if I liked her story
Old 04-13-2013, 02:04 AM   #934
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm so FREAKIN' mad at this STUPID anal thinks-she-is-God administrator on this health board I just joined ...

My daughter has had this HORRIBLE disease for the last 9 months - CRPS, or RSD - nicknamed the suicide disease, because people, you know, KILL themselves over it because the pain is so awful. My sister does hundreds of hours of internet research while we deal with multiple surgical procedures, and she finds a very new treatment that is very promising and is FDA-approved but not covered by insurance yet. We fly across the country, stay for 2 1/2 weeks, get this non-painful treatment, and it COMPLETELY takes away the CRPS pain!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I decided that I need to get the word out to all those people that are in this HORRIBLE pain and, like, might want to KILL themselves over it. I join a RSD board, find a thread (I didn't start one) where someone asked about the Calmare treatment, and shared about our experience, and included the doctor's name and website. I had read the rules, and it said you couldn't "advertise" a doctor, but I didn't think I was advertising - I was sharing a PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

I notice that my post didn't go up - since I was new, it had to be OKed by an admin. Fine. But a day and a half later, it's still not up. I email an admin, expressly saying that I read the rules and thought that I had followed them, and find out that I've been put "on hold" (thanks for no notification! ) because I mentioned a name of a doctor and "ignored" the rules.

I responded that I did NOT ignore the rules - I had just misunderstood them.

Anyway, it went back and forth for a bit, and she has been really snarky. I've been very polite, and I'm just getting snark and rules back, instead of her, like, actually HELPING me

Thank God for our admin team here!!!!!

Anyway, if they ever take me off hold, I gues I can just say that I had a great experience with a particular doctor, and if someone wants details, I'll PM them. I can't even say "PM me if you want details" in a post!

STUPID anal people!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 04-13-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #935
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OMG - they reinstated me, and I composed a carefully-written post and posted it in the thread where the lady asked about the Calmare treatment, and just got another warning! They said that I had already posted in that thread. Well, MY POST WAS DELETED BY YOU, you jerk! And now they deleted the freakin' ENTIRE THREAD started by another person asking about Calmare!

This is a big board, and I want to help people learn about a very new treatment that helped us immensely. I can only think that the board has a financial interest in pain meds and spinal stimulators. There is no other way I can figure this out. Pathetic. I mean, at the worst, they should ban me and delete my posts, but now they deleted the THREAD where a member in good standing asked about an FDA-approved RSD/CRPS treatment. Tragic. What jerks!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #936
Rían

I just got an email back and they said that my original post was there. I replied that I guessed that their changes are taking a while to filter down to the original members, because it wasn't there when I made the new one, and a little later, the entire thread was gone. Now the thread is back, along with my original edited post.

But what's really weird is that the admin edited my post and LEFT THE DOCTOR'S NAME IN, which is what they gave me an infraction for! I pointed that out, and said that I would be glad to edit out the name if they wanted me to.

I await their reply ...

Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #937
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
This is a big board, and I want to help people learn about a very new treatment that helped us immensely. I can only think that the board has a financial interest in pain meds and spinal stimulators. There is no other way I can figure this out.
Could be they think the same of you, though. It is not unheard of of people with a vested interest in an 'unproven' (it's new and not under insurance yet) medical treatment to post fake testimonials on internet boards. You're new there, they don't know you yet and if the first thing you post over there is a glowing recommendation for a treatment, it's logical they'd be suspicious. If a new member only joins to post a review of a fantasy novel with info where it is for sale here on the 'moot, I'd moderate them too. For a forum about medical problems, I imagine they want to be even more careful about what info goes on there. People relying on that info for their medical treatment could have big consequences.

That said, it appears they do have some problems with constistancy in their moderating that isn't helping matters.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #938
Rían

Yes, I realize that, Eärn - what I'm complaining about is that 1) they came down on me like a ton of bricks after only ONE post, and that post wasn't a "try dr greatness he's great!" type of thing; it was detailed and filled with personal information, and 2) they were pretty snarky in their emails (I specifically said that I had read the rules and tried to abide by them and they came back with a "you ignored the rules", and 3) inconsistency with the rules and being snarky when I asked for clarification, and 4) calling my two posts on one thread "flooding" a thread and giving me a second infraction.

I'm backing off - I made two posts mentioning Calmare, and two that didn't mention it, and that's all for today. But I will get the word out - RSD patients suffer horribly. On a medical scale that compares pain, RSD pain is the highest - higher than unmedicated childbirth and cancer pain. I think they could have been much more reasonable, and much more civil. You know, like the mods here ...

Last edited by Rían : 04-13-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #939
Mari
Elf Lady

*screws up nose* Frustrating! But you managed.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #940
Mari
Elf Lady

My cat broke my glass. Not the dirty one standing beside it, or the one I had just concluded was leaking, but the one I had just pulled from the cupboard all clean and shiny... >_<

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote