Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 04:15 PM   #921
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah me too. BF says I should go to the dentist, but I dunno... I kinda hate dentists! Last time I went was five years ago, and that was bad enough!
Old 09-21-2002, 06:06 PM   #922
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Yeah me too. BF says I should go to the dentist, but I dunno... I kinda hate dentists! Last time I went was five years ago, and that was bad enough!
stop been a wimp i never had understood why people are scared of the dentists you get to sit on a cool moving chair and look at women in uniform (my dentist is very fit) and theres a pub right next door.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:33 PM   #923
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
Keep this a pg-13 discussion.
ok, if something would not be an entry found in the "polite" dictionary, we could just skip the definition and say it is NDRFAAAA - "not drawing-room fashion at all, at all" - like Tolkien did in the Hobbit when talking about the trolls

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-21-2002, 07:03 PM   #924
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
i never had understood why people are scared of the dentists ...
Hmm. I dunno. Because my dentist is hairy, fat, and old. Because he waves around a drill. Because I might have to have a root canal. Because I might have to have injections, and numb-mouth. Because it might cost thousands of dollars, which I don't happen to have.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:50 PM   #925
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

My dentist sort of used to do the same thing. He also uses the drill on me sometimes. I think I have a high threshold for pain. He tells me to tell him right away of any hint of pain.

I tell him:

"MM, ow...ow...dowk ith's shtarthing to hwurths us."

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Old 09-22-2002, 01:19 AM   #926
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

My dentist plays the saxophone.

I'm not exeactly venting, but I feel really confused right now; I just found out that one of my friends does drugs. It's odd because I never would have guessed it, I mean, he definitely doesn't fit the stereotype, and he's one of the more intelligent people I know, it's just... like I said, I'm confused.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:52 AM   #927
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Hmm. I dunno. Because my dentist is hairy, fat, and old. Because he waves around a drill. Because I might have to have a root canal. Because I might have to have injections, and numb-mouth. Because it might cost thousands of dollars, which I don't happen to have.
God bless the NHS but im no longer a student im gonna have to pay now . It once took 6 times more numbing stuff (the name of it has left me completally) to num my mouth when i got 7 teath out.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:01 AM   #928
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, last time I went was a week before I turned eighteen. (You have to start paying after that.)

Anyway, at least the numbstuff works on me, even if the injection *does* feel icky. (I can give blood no problem, but injections in the mouth?! ) However, the BF doesn't have that luxury... they just don't work on him - he had to have a root canal done last year, and on no pain killers!
Old 09-22-2002, 07:55 AM   #929
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Why is the medical community so uptight about treating pain? I had major surgery recently and still I had to beg for relief every single time while in the hospital. I finally walked out because they wouldn't treat me properly.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-22-2002, 05:33 PM   #930
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Bleh. I still harbor a distrust of dentists.

I think you all sick people have infected me! Rawr. I am now sniffling and coughing and feeling indescicive (a strange side effect of sickness I get often) and being miserable because I can't curl up with a book, I have to study for a stupid test tomorrow, WITH an in-test essay.
Stake me now.

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 09-22-2002, 06:00 PM   #931
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Tano, WWI test? That was the best humanities test ever...it's pretty easy, or at least it was when I took it...er...maybe that's because I really got into the whole war thing...*sheepish grin*

Dentists are evil. *shudder*

Feel better, Tano. Isn't being sick awful?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 09-22-2002, 07:43 PM   #932
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think the medical community is so stupid about pain relief because they're afraid of being sued if people get addicted - at least here in the U.S., where we are lawsuit-crazy and everyone is a victim and nothing is anyone's fault, it's always someone else's (VENT!!) My middle son had to go through several surgeries, and I learned after the first one, after watching him in pain for hours and thinking the nurses knew best and would give him something if it was needed (HAH!), to be VERY aggressive about asking for pain relief. After all, he was 6 at the time - not very likely to become an addict.

Menelvagor, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I have no experience in this area, I wish I could give you some experienced advice. I hope someone else does and can advise you. I will pray for wisdom for you, though. If the friend is pretty close, my first thought is to just express to them your how you value them and are very concerned because drugs are certainly very damaging, and maybe you could offer to go with them to 'hold their hand' if they want to go somewhere to get some help.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 09-22-2002 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:15 PM   #933
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I hate going to the dentist too. Last year, when I had to get one wisdom tooth out, I need three injections after the dentist tried to pull my tooth out after one injection!

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Chemistry is OK, its stupid maths and computer programming. Algerbra is easy for me luckily. I was trying make this computer program last week and it wouldn't work. Nobody could figure out what was wrong with my program, so I had to hand in a program which didn't work. I did, I reckon, about 8 hours of work trying to make the stupid thing work. And now I will probably get a low mark.
Thats what I posted a couple of weeks ago and I got my assignment back and guess what? I got 9 out of 10. Ha Ha Ha Ha.........
Old 09-22-2002, 11:09 PM   #934
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I hate how hard-headed and stubborn I can be sometimes. I almost killed myself at band practice the other day and wouldn't let up. And I hate it when other people are as stubborn as I am. One of my friends almost blew his knee out at the same time I was working myself to death. And on top of it all, I was sick. I'm better now, so that's a plus.

Psalm 107:31
Old 09-22-2002, 11:53 PM   #935
Eruviel Greenleaf

I hate how prone to procrastination I am! I spend way too much time doing fun stuff that I want to do and then I realize I have 5 page paper due the next day that I've written about a sentence of, and all my friends are watching Alias while I have to work

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 09-23-2002, 12:38 AM   #936
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
I hate how prone to procrastination I am! I spend way too much time doing fun stuff that I want to do and then I realize I have 5 page paper due the next day that I've written about a sentence of, and all my friends are watching Alias while I have to work

"Procrastinators of the world, unite! Eh, we'll do it tomorrow..."

I know what you mean, though. That's why I don't usually get good grades on projects. I leave them until the night before and then I do a really crappy job.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-23-2002, 12:40 AM   #937
Eruviel Greenleaf

That's why I never do well in chem lab, too. Always leave it to the last minute and by then it's too late to get help when I don't understand something.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 09-23-2002, 12:42 AM   #938
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an

Menelvagor, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I have no experience in this area, I wish I could give you some experienced advice. I hope someone else does and can advise you. I will pray for wisdom for you, though. If the friend is pretty close, my first thought is to just express to them your how you value them and are very concerned because drugs are certainly very damaging, and maybe you could offer to go with them to 'hold their hand' if they want to go somewhere to get some help.
Thanks for the advice, Rian. I'm not sure what I'm going to do- as it turns out, he's been doing drugs for years (I only met him at the beginning of this year). It's really odd, I never would have known if he hadn't told me; it doesn't seem to affect him much (at least that I can tell). It's... disconcerting.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:21 AM   #939
Rían

Old 09-23-2002, 12:18 PM   #940
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
My dentist sort of used to do the same thing. He also uses the drill on me sometimes. I think I have a high threshold for pain.
Me too. I broke my tooth in half and it touched the nerve, but i had no needles and it hurt like hell! Like HELL! I had a hole drilled in my tooth and a filling put in and still refused the needle. I hate injections, not really a huge fear, but more a 'i don't want to not be able to talk for three hours' kinda thing. Heh, i prefer the pain to the needles...eugh.

Quote:
I think you all sick people have infected me! Rawr. I am now sniffling and coughing and feeling indescicive (a strange side effect of sickness I get often) and being miserable because I can't curl up with a book, I have to study for a stupid test tomorrow, WITH an in-test essay.
Stake me now.
Hey, it definately wasn't me who made you ill! You're far too far away for that! Still, hope you start feeling better. And when i feel miserable i write a song, even when i have an essay to write. Gawd i do so little work.

Quote:
"Procrastinators of the world, unite! Eh, we'll do it tomorrow..."
Great idea! But tomorrow definately!
I hate that too. I've had days off for my sickness and done nothing but read fanfiction, come on the net and draw picture that weren't even relevant to my art project! Gah! I'm so mad at myself now too because it was so stupid! I had time and wasted it, now i'm behind anyway and haven't done anything to help it! STUPID ME!!! Deserves punishment for such idiocy! *smacks self*

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Closed Thread