Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #921
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

*sighs*

Just warning in advance, people, I'm going to be pretty darn depressed for the next few weeks. I turn thirty in about a week and a half, and I already feel like I'm going to throw up over it.

See, years ago, I made goals about where I would be at age 30. Do you know how many of these goals I have made? That's right. Zippo. Null. None. Zero. What a waste my life has been.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 07-14-2008, 03:14 AM   #922
BeardofPants
the Shrike

RE: goals, I wouldn't worry too much about it. 30 is practically the new 20. And you're working on your masters, aincha? Hardly a waste. Don't let an arbitrary number get you down. Work hard on achieving the rest of your goals.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #923
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I'm working on my masters, but I'm probably going to have to take a leave of absence for financial reasons, and who knows if I'll ever be able to go back.

*sighs*

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 07-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #924
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
See, years ago, I made goals about where I would be at age 30. Do you know how many of these goals I have made? That's right. Zippo. Null. None. Zero. What a waste my life has been.
That doesn't make your life a waste. You have contributed to the life of your friends - I regard myself one of them - and that's more than nothing.
*huggles*

I never made goals for where I would be at any given age - perhaps it's easier like that ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #925
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
*sighs*

Just warning in advance, people, I'm going to be pretty darn depressed for the next few weeks. I turn thirty in about a week and a half, and I already feel like I'm going to throw up over it.

Really? That's too bad.

What will the next 2/3rds be like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
I never made goals for where I would be at any given age - perhaps it's easier like that ...
I don't know why you would. Life is always moving the goal-posts. My great-great grandfather was a train mechanic. His father had probably hoped he'd join the family business...as a wheelwright.

Fortunately for all of us, the life you need is right now. It's not an imaginary point in the future.

My 2 cents.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 07-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #926
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
That doesn't make your life a waste. You have contributed to the life of your friends - I regard myself one of them - and that's more than nothing.
*huggles*

Thanks. But I just feel sick about it all. My life has just imploded since I came home from Ireland. I'm probably going to have to take a leave of absence from my MA program (possibly permanently) for financial reasons, and 30 will mark 10 years since I've as much as been kissed by a member of the opposite sex (and yes, I'm straight). It just feels like I'm running out of reasons to get up in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Really? That's too bad.

What will the next 2/3rds be like?
Good god, I don't want to live to be 90.

Quote:
I don't know why you would. Life is always moving the goal-posts. My great-great grandfather was a train mechanic. His father had probably hoped he'd join the family business...as a wheelwright.

Fortunately for all of us, the life you need is right now. It's not an imaginary point in the future.
I've always had to have goals at some imaginary point in the future, because the present has never been something I've ever wanted to keep. If 'life' is what I'm living right now, and it's never going to get any better, then I'd gladly give it to someone else or just give it up all together. Unless it's somehow a joyous thing to be 30 years old, living with your parents, single (for 10 years), with no friends within 50 miles and with a double-digit credit score.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #927
Mari
Elf Lady

*hugs Rinkë*
I always believed I wouldn't live to turn 29. Even in elementary school I felt that. So I never set any goals for myself in the future. The goal I have in living is trying to make others happy and be happy because I'm doing so and my goal before dying is to die without any regrets.

Just a minor point that probably won't help at all, but I'm going to try anyway:
Sometimes it is easier to find your worth not in your own eyes, but in the eyes of another. So rather than asking yourself what you think you did in your life that was worthwhile and how much of an impression you think you made or how much you think you added to this world with your existence, ask others about it, or ask yourself what others might say.
You'll probably find out that you have done much more of worth then you thought you did. And at the same time you might also find out that that what others value in you is not the results you produce, but you and what you can mean for others.

Phew. Now I feel like I'm going on some philosophical rant. Feel free to ignore or wholly disagree with this.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 07-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #928
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

Hol...ly...eye...balls. That is ALOT of posts! Hey everyone!

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #929
Mari
Elf Lady

Hi Sas!
Gotta run, my sister made me dinner! *loves her sis*

Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #930
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

I gotta go too..... Bass guitar lessons >.<

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #931
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
*sighs*

I have a friend who has a similar problem. He wants to go into film, and he promised himself and a friend that his first feature film would be released by 25. He just turned 24 a couple of weeks ago, and he's just heading into his senior year as an undergraduate; it doesn't look like his plans are going to happen. Saying "this will be done by this date" seems like a bad idea to me, because there is just so much that can happen over the next X years that you simply have no way of really being able to predict what will happen. Just keep the idea of getting something done, and let it be done in its own time.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #932
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
I've always had to have goals at some imaginary point in the future, because the present has never been something I've ever wanted to keep. If 'life' is what I'm living right now, and it's never going to get any better, then I'd gladly give it to someone else or just give it up all together. Unless it's somehow a joyous thing to be 30 years old, living with your parents, single (for 10 years), with no friends within 50 miles and with a double-digit credit score.
Right, and this is where improvement will have to occur. You've set yourself up to be waiting for the future, instead of living in the present. ;(

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #933
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
So, Acalewia, Lief and Tessar, you guys all know each other in Real Life? That is so cool.
Um, not excatly. I don't leave anywhere near Lief and I'm not sure where Tess lives. We RP together on Atharon, though. Truthfully the only person I know in RL here hasn't posted since she joined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippie View Post
Peeks in and says YaHeyDere folks...............
*Tackles Hippie* Welcome back! Where ya been!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
"And we're back at W-MOOT at the Cafe with The Moots singing a song for Acally..."

Acally, you're such a mooter, Shala-la-la-la
We love you,
at the Cafe.

Acally, you're a marvel, Shala-la-la-la
We love you,
at the Cafe.

(voice serious)

Acally, you always post such nice posts.
We here at the Cafe appreciate ur efforts
tremedously.

Acally, you're such a mooter, Shala-la-la-la
We love you,
at the Cafe.

Acally, you're a marvel, Shala-la-la-la
We love you,
at the Cafe.

Shala-la-la-la
Wow, Doc. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus View Post
*blows through the Teacup in a blaze of destructive force, leaving debris and happiness in his path, twirls Sane, Sis, Mari, and Midge, casts Hector into the Aquarium, throws ice cream at Azrael, slaps GW five, and promises to be in more often, just not right now.*
Is it me or did a huricane just blow through the Cafe?
Quote:
*sighs*

I thought you were closer to my age, early to mid 20s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
I have a friend who has a similar problem. He wants to go into film, and he promised himself and a friend that his first feature film would be released by 25. He just turned 24 a couple of weeks ago, and he's just heading into his senior year as an undergraduate; it doesn't look like his plans are going to happen. Saying "this will be done by this date" seems like a bad idea to me, because there is just so much that can happen over the next X years that you simply have no way of really being able to predict what will happen. Just keep the idea of getting something done, and let it be done in its own time.
I did have a goal to be published by the time I'm thirty, but I really don't know if that'll happen.

How is everyone today. I got relations i really don't like coming over tomorrow and Wed I'm doing a double date to see Hellboy II. Yay! Can't wait!

*Tackles Mari*

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #934
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Nope, I'm 30, July 23.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #935
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Right, and this is where improvement will have to occur. You've set yourself up to be waiting for the future, instead of living in the present. ;(

EDIT: *is tackled* Acally! Hiya!!! Relatives can be a pain >_< Just smile sweetly and pretend to be deaf and stupid.

Last edited by Mari : 07-14-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #936
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
ur welcome, dear acally!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #937
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post

EDIT: *is tackled* Acally! Hiya!!! Relatives can be a pain >_< Just smile sweetly and pretend to be deaf and stupid.
I can do that! I do have selective hearing Hopefully they'll leave me alone so I can Moot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
ur welcome, dear acally!
*Moothugs Doc*

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #938
Mari
Elf Lady

Haha! Mooting while they are there... sounds like a plan!

Old 07-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #939
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Moothugs, Acally back!

Here you have a couple of fun things with Dave Allen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IfoU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS5P6...eature=related

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 07-14-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #940
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I agree with sis re: living in the present. Setting goals has never been a particularly useful activity for me. I have some I guess I vaguely live by... but, it's definitely the present, baby.