Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2003, 05:45 PM   #901
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

God knew what would be good enough for Dad, and he gave it to him. He'd know what's good enough for you . . . or if you feel a need to tell him what would be good enough, then do so.

But you have to be sincerely interested in coming to know Christ. I was interested enough to pray about it for six months. Though I don't know what'd be good enough for you, if you are sincerely interested, then pray that you'll come to know him personally.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 06:01 PM   #902
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
...Btw: ... you ... realise that she was raised as a Catholic? Sounds to me like she gave it a chance.
Yes, I did... most of my life I gave it a chance. Thank you.

And Silme*Christian, I am not rocking any boat. I am merely answering questions that have been posted here. This thread was not created with the title: "Christians post your beliefs here." No, it is open to all beliefs. And I believe there is no god that rules this world or it's people.

If you have blind faith in a supernatural being, then I will not try to tear you away from that. Some people need to believe that there is some supernatural force that watches over them, and that is fine. I do not need to believe that in order to get up everyday and live my life. For me, it is unnecessary to think that some powerful being created this world and this universe.

All those quotes from the bible were written by men, not a god.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 06:24 PM   #903
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
But you have to be sincerely interested in coming to know Christ. I was interested enough to pray about it for six months. Though I don't know what'd be good enough for you, if you are sincerely interested, then pray that you'll come to know him personally.
Well, there it is. I guess I'm not interested enough. I think you give very good answers, Lief. But I do not feel the hunger.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:32 PM   #904
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I will pray that you will become hungry .
Old 05-24-2003, 06:39 PM   #905
Ruinel
Banned

I'm hungry for a sandwich.

Ya know, I find it a bit presumptuous that evangelical Christians need to convert everyone who does not have Jesus in their lives. It really gets on my nerves. If I'm not trying to convert you to atheism, why do you feel it necessary to convert me to christianity? Guess what? People without Jesus in their lives do not live an empty life. We are quite happy. So, thanks for the offer, but I'll have to decline.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 06:47 PM   #906
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Ya know, I find it a bit presumptuous that evangelical Christians need to convert everyone who does not have Jesus in their lives. It really gets on my nerves. If I'm not trying to convert you to atheism, why do you feel it necessary to convert me to christianity? Guess what? People without Jesus in their lives do not live an empty life. We are quite happy. So, thanks for the offer, but I'll have to decline.
AMEN! .........erm I mean, I AGREE

That's not aimed at the 'mooters.........it's the endless god-botherers that knock at my door that get my wotsit

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:12 PM   #907
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

and now on an almost completely unrelated subject,

---
this reminds me of my 7th grade science teacher - she was nuts. she would always find some way of relating everything to god. "Children, this project was given to me by the lord." or something like that. She usually mentioned god and jesus. She was genuinely insane (not that it has anything to do with religion).... just made me think of her. She also gave out random grades, luckily she liked me so I got As. Evolution wasn't in the curiculum, 7th grade was "life science" if I remember it correctly, basically animals, the difference classifications, genes, etc. We also had to dissect frogs (A+ surprisingly)

Besides the fact that she was nuts, she was a good teacher.

--

Yeah , I agree with you Ruinel.

Newsflash: there are other religions that get along just fine without christ and atheists that live perfectly happy, meaningful lives without god. Other believers in other religions I guess get the same satisfaction that the christians in this topic get. again, I don't see why one would be better than the other... I know what i'm missing by not being christian: christmas presents!

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:13 PM   #908
HOBBIT

Oh, and did anyone see that program on the history channel earlier today? "UFOs in the Bible" Great show :P Aliens abducting elijah and guiding moses through the desert. Did you know that when moses went up to mount sinai he went inside a spaceship? hehe, that channel is great.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 05-24-2003, 09:20 PM   #909
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
I know what i'm missing by not being christian: christmas presents!
Then you're just missing out, period. You still have Santa Claus .
Old 05-24-2003, 09:33 PM   #910
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Newsflash: there are other religions that get along just fine without christ and atheists that live perfectly happy, meaningful lives without god. Other believers in other religions I guess get the same satisfaction that the christians in this topic get. again, I don't see why one would be better than the other...
Some of Gandhi's last words were disappointment that he never came closer to his maker. He discarded Christianity and many other religions in his search for the truth.

Note also that many current born again Christians formerly did belong to other religions. I'm perfectly aware that many people in other religions are just as happy as you and others on this thread are with Atheism, or Agnosticism. In which case, sure, they are happy. Only in the six months before I heard from the Lord did I feel the spiritual hunger, and know that I was missing something. Before that, I didn't feel any need.

The reason Christianity is better than the other religions is quite simple. Through no other religion can you find Christ, and finding Christ transforms your live. As Jesus so aptly puts it in the Bible, you are born again. In your first life, you might be content. But that's only because you haven't encountered the second life. You don't know what you're missing. Only after the blinders are lifted from your eyes by Jesus can you see. Even after the hunger comes, you don't realize what you're missing, only that you're missing it. Later on after you fail to find it, you might make yourself believe that you were incorrect and there never was anything else.
Faith
That's why you have to come to Christ by faith, as it repeats so often in the Bible. Because you don't know what's in the second life, but you're groping for it anyway. And when Jesus shows you the door, you're willing to take the leap of faith and step through it. The faith isn't belief without knowledge. The faith is coming into something you'd not known, and seeking something that you don't entirely believe in.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 05-24-2003 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:45 PM   #911
HOBBIT

Can I feed my spirit in the form of french fries? :P

If i said what i thought of that post, I would probably be really offensive, so I just won't say anything.

Old 05-24-2003, 09:45 PM   #912
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
The reason Christianity is better than the other religions is quite simple.
That phrase there sums up for me what is wrong with Christianity.......bloody eliteism ............it's the same ideal that has been behind countless wars, persecution drives and segregation for the last two thousand yrs

My chosen religion hasbut one doctrine........."whatever you give in this life, shall be repayed threefold"..........IMO there is no better guide to life than that.......reap what you sow

Beatallica
Old 05-24-2003, 10:17 PM   #913
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
the three-fold law

what ever you do will come back 3-fold to you

same in my religion

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 10:19 PM   #914
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
the three-fold law

what ever you do will come back 3-fold to you

same in my religion
Hedge witch or wiccan?

Beatallica
Old 05-24-2003, 10:33 PM   #915
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The Golden Rule seems like the best living code, to me. Yours is kind of similar to it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
That phrase there sums up for me what is wrong with Christianity.......bloody eliteism ............it's the same ideal that has been behind countless wars, persecution drives and segregation for the last two thousand yrs
Mistaken beliefs were responsible for some of that, just as mistaken beliefs were responsible for the 9/11 attacks. Political maneuvering also had a large hand to play in those wars. But just as many wars have taken place from nonreligious things, and Christianity is far from the only religion that has had internal religious wars. People fight for what they believe in, whether it's economics, religion or politics. The fact that humans have the same failing in religion as they have in everything doesn't say anything against religion, but against human nature. A human nature that the Bible condemns.

If you find my posts arrogant, that is a mistaken interpretation of my meanings. I am not saying I am any better than any of you, and it should not insult you that the spiritual realm might exist.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:42 PM   #916
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

I didn't say that your post's were arogant.

Quote:
The fact that humans have the same failing in religion as they have in everything doesn't say anything against religion, but against human nature. A human nature that the Bible condemns.
Every war has a political agenda behind it.........but I can't think of a war, initiated bye the west,that has not called upon christianity to jusify it *shrugs*

Then there is still the witch burnings, Grand Inquisition etc etc etc

Luckily, in christianity.........all those who proclaim war.......that is not in Gods will, are off to hell (gods help the poor soldiers)

Beatallica
Old 05-24-2003, 10:46 PM   #917
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
The Golden Rule seems like the best living code, to me. Yours is kind of similar to it.
Exactly the opposite, I think you'll find.

Put it this way...............If you steal today.......you will lose everything tomorrow *shrugs*...........if you lie tomorrow......the lies told against you will multiplied to the extent that you'll never be able to walk in public again

As for the afterlife..........it stays threefold.

Beatallica
Old 05-24-2003, 10:50 PM   #918
Ararax
Elven Warrior

well christianity has no actually rules at its basic form, basically everythgin is forgivin, and the only sin is not accepting God, and the whole reason to be good is that you want to be good,
Old 05-24-2003, 10:52 PM   #919
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
wiccan

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 10:54 PM   #920
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Ararax
well christianity has no actually rules at its basic form, basically everythgin is forgivin, and the only sin is not accepting God, and the whole reason to be good is that you want to be good,

But that doesn't make it better than any other religion........it just makes it an easy option

Beatallica