Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #901
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Ok thats my one emotional post for the decade.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 11-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #902
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an View Post
Well, he would be, whether he wanted to or not! (or they wanted him or not )

To me, it came off as rather condescending, but I'm willing to believe that I could be wrong and that he meant it in a good way.
The then King of Norway said some time in the 1920s, "I'm King also of the Communists."

He then proved it by giving them Government for a while.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 11-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #903
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
I dont think so. Didnt Gore win the popular vote in 2000 and yet the Redskins lost the game to the Packers and Bush got re-elected? Its a confusing way of looking at it. They should have given up after the incumbent thing failed in '04.
I don't know - I just assumed that the popular vote angle covered the discrepancy - maybe I'm wrong. It was just kind of a fun thing

Quote:
The very notion that a black man could make it to the highest office in a land that just several generations ago routinely discriminated against, lynched and enslaved people of his race I find to be… mind boggling. Hard to fathom. Almost impossible to grasp…
Wonderful, isn't it?!

Quote:
Now… having said all that I need to say I am absolutely terrified for Obama’s safety. …
Yeah, so many nut cases loose ....

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #904
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
The then King of Norway said some time in the 1920s, "I'm King also of the Communists."

He then proved it by giving them Government for a while.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #905
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
I dont think so. Didnt Gore win the popular vote in 2000 and yet the Redskins lost the game to the Packers and Bush got re-elected? Its a confusing way of looking at it. They should have given up after the incumbent thing failed in '04.

Anyway, Im still in shock over the concept of a President Obama. I feel like its April Fools or its a dream or something. Its just so hard to accept the idea that america has actually chosen a black man for president. Its just stunning to me... Im so amazed. Even though for weeks now I had been seeing the polls showing Obama way ahead and I had acknowledged to myself that he would likely win once Tuesday night came but when he actually DID win I couldnt believe it. The very notion that a black man could make it to the highest office in a land that just several generations ago routinely discriminated against, lynched and enslaved people of his race I find to be… mind boggling. Hard to fathom. Almost impossible to grasp… I guess even though I felt it was likely he was going to win, a big part of me never really thought this was even possible. A big part of me never had faith enough in the American public to believe that they would allow this to happen. Im glad to say I was wrong about that in a big way…

Please understand people that to most black folks of a certain age this is an event of earth shaking mind boggling rapture. Something most blacks of a certain generation dare not even dream of for fear of subjecting themselves to the most ridiculous case of inferiority reinforcement they could ever have. I can tell you there are still millions of blacks out there today happy but still hedging their bets and wondering whats the catch… This cant REALLY be happening… They wont REALLY allow this will they…

But it has happened. And within less than two generations of the initiation of civil rights acts that overturned laws in place that barred blacks from voting. And a mere 40 years after the greatest black leader of all time shared the vision he had seen from the mountain top. A vision of a future promised land that we now live this day… Welcome to King’s vision.

Now… having said all that I need to say I am absolutely terrified for Obama’s safety. I was half cringing last night watching his speech in Grant Park waiting for something to happen… January 20 is a long way away (not to mention 2012). Can we increase the secret service budget 1000% or something? Build a force field around the man whenever he goes out? I don’t want this dream to end…
I know. I've seen him speak several times now. And I'm always looking at the cops on the roofs, and the folks running the metal detectors and saying, "Go ahead. Do the best job you possibly can. We don't mind waiting." *shiver*
Quote:
Ok thats my one emotional post for the decade.
Oh, I hope not.

I've worked on a lot of campaigns. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

But this has been the most empowering one, ever. I was calling gotv in Virginia, yesterday...it was an honor to talk to each one of those folks. *tears*

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #906
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
To me, it came off as rather condescending, but I'm willing to believe that I could be wrong and that he meant it in a good way.
I think he was trying to reassure McCain supporters that he wouldn't ignore their voices during his Presidency. More of a reaching out moment than an asserting power over the opposition moment.

I was really glad to see that both he and McCain focused on unity during their speeches and I hope they do follow through on the promises of working together. I think that would go a long way towards pacifying people angered by Obama's win.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #907
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post
I'm just glad the morality police are finally out of power.
Oh, BJ, you have just begun to see the 'morality police'. Under the new regime there will be plenty of policing of 'morality' - just theirs. But, you have argued continuously that there is not a 'morality' other than societal.

Do I detect a whiff of inconsistency, again?

By the way, what 'morality police'-ing are you referring to?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 PM   #908
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Well get ready for a disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Congrats Obama! People are confident in you and expectations are high, so you better not disappoint us!

The Democracts will also win more seats in both Houses. As it looks now, it doesn't seem impossible that the Democrats ends up with a total of 60 seats in the Senate. 60 or more Senators would make filibusters impossible. That should make it easier for Obama to implement his promises of change.
I could not give a good god damn about that devil Obama. I may be black but I refuse to be seduced by the historical significance of the moment.

Obama is a judas goat!!!

the sooner we all realise that the better off we will be. It is going to be alot worse. This Dick Cheney cousin is going to sell us down the river, him and the rest of his CFR buddies.

Marshall law, marshall law...it's coming.

Now that the government has the peoples trust again they can go ahead an have another false flag terrorist attack (a nuke?) or even assinate Obama to cause serious racial disaster (race war) in america and declare marshall law.

Just remember I told you so...meet the new guy, same as the old guy. It doesn't matter that he is black, he is still a puppet.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #909
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

El. Tel, is there nothing left but armed rebellion?

Really, enquiring minds want to know.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #910
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran
I think he was trying to reassure McCain supporters that he wouldn't ignore their voices during his Presidency. More of a reaching out moment than an asserting power over the opposition moment.
That's what I'm willing to assume he meant. It's just that I got burned by some self-styled "tolerant" liberals on another board whose argument style was first to declare that anyone that disagreed with them was a brainless idiot instead of actually thinking and discussing things, and then to describe ways they wanted to physically harm you, so it's hard to not be a little chary of liberals. I just need to think of the liberals (and there are definitely some here) who ARE tolerant and kind, and try to forget those others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
Under the new regime there will be plenty of policing of 'morality' - just theirs.
No kidding Sorry, guys - there's no "neutral" here. Moralities are based on worldviews - which are personal opinions. This includes atheism and agnosticism, as well as "religions".

Old 11-06-2008, 02:20 AM   #911
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

All I can say is -

Though currently going through severe polling withdrawal....

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #912
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

And, cute- that county in North Carolina, where Sarah Palin made her remarks about how great it was to be among Real Americans in the pro-America part of the country?

Obama 59%

McCain 40%

http://edcone.typepad.com/wordup/200...l-america.html

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 11-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #913
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm quite surprised by the feeling of total euphoria that seems to be everywhere. And not just among the Americans.

But I hope people's expectations aren't put too highly. The financial crisis, the wars and America's reputation aren't going to be resolved quite as easily.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #914
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I agree Earn. We put Obama in the job, now we have to make sure he has our help to do it.

McCain understood that, and I hope acts on it.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #915
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Arm rebellion would be a disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
El. Tel, is there nothing left but armed rebellion?

Really, enquiring minds want to know.
If their is an armed rebellion that would play into their hands. they would just bring in foreign troops (which they have stated they will) who are willing to kill americans and declare marshall law, if that happened before january or any disaster Bush could even stay in office.

The only thing you can do is get as informed as you can. Get independent of government and social services;get out of the cities, grow your own food, have your own water and energy supplies (solar panels, wind turbines) and get out of dollars and into gold and silver and other commodities.

Expose them with documentaries on the issue to create awareness in them and the rest of the population so they can't carry out plans without it being obvious; let them know you are not suckered by Obama.

...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-16-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Inflammatory
Old 11-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #916
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well thank goodness Obama didnt go to YOUR church...

Sorry telc. Silly delusional pseudo religious diatribes arent required as a response to EVERY event that happens in this country. Stick to the JFK and UFO conspiracies before you overwhelm yourself.

Frankly I dont think Obama can walk on water and I do think he will fail and comprimise many times over the next four years but geez Ill take a million of that over one of what we got any day...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 11-06-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #917
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

From the Onion, the only truly fair and balanced news source...

"Obama Win Causes Supporters to Realize How Empty Their Lives Are...."

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...embedded_video

Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #918
The Telcontarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion View Post
Now that the government has the peoples trust again they can go ahead an have another false flag terrorist attack (a nuke?) or even assinate Obama
That was from my first post on the issue. I never suggested that I would or could kill anyone so how do you get a threat from me in that? Don't throw stones at the messenger America is the vehicle of it's own destruction.

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-16-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Response to deleted post and personal attacks.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #919
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I continually look for and hasten the day of it's destruction in my prayers and every idle or purposeful thought.
"In every idle or purposeful thought?" How "purposeful" are we to take you to mean? If you don't us to take you seriously when you make such comments, don't say them, please.

I know you think you sound very reasonable, but to us you don't. You're coming off as very emotional and irrational, as well as incendiary. I think you're stuck in an unhealthy way of thinking about the world. You seem to view it very bleakly. I hope that sometime soon you'll find it in you somewhere to trust humanity a little.
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-16-2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Response to deleted post.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #920
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
Oh, BJ, you have just begun to see the 'morality police'. Under the new regime there will be plenty of policing of 'morality' - just theirs. But, you have argued continuously that there is not a 'morality' other than societal.

Do I detect a whiff of inconsistency, again?

By the way, what 'morality police'-ing are you referring to?
There is no absolute morality, it's all relative. But, many republicans believe there is absolute morality and try their best to enforce it whenever they can.

That's why they did things like cover the private parts of classical statues and obsess over things like the ten commandments, homosexuality, and other christian idyosyncracies.

To be sure, many democrats have pet issues they'd like to try to universalize but, unlike the republicans, they are much less unified and much more live and let live. As a result, no single morality will be enforced and each and every part of the US will be free to practice their own, as it should be.