Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #901
Mari
Elf Lady

Wow, that's a lot of coolness, awesomeness and sheer happiness in only one post. Yay! I'm glad things are going so well for you.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #902
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

hehe thank you very much!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 08-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #903
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

NEEEEEEEERDY!!! *tacklehugglomph*

Missed you.

I am happy because we had our first opera rehearsal tonight, and it could have been horrible but it was actually pretty wonderful because of the music director. She made everything much, much better with her wonderful attitude.

Also happy because I felt like I barely knew the music, and I was afraid that I didn't know it well enough to understudy the role. Weeeelll.... lets just say that I knew my music better than some of the other people who are actually going to get to keep their parts. It was a good feeling to know my music better than I thought I did.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #904
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sounds great, Nel and Tessar!

I like my new little beta fish - he's a cheeky little bugger, for a fish, and very pretty!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #905
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Sounds great, Nel and Tessar!

I like my new little beta fish - he's a cheeky little bugger, for a fish, and very pretty!

AAAH! Shut the front door! I have a beta too. His name is Rutabaga and he's a pretty dark blue.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #906
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Woohoo! Just got a call from the insurance people. They agree it was her fault, so they'll be covering the damages. I believe this also means that it will not go on my driving record, so my insurance rates will not be hiking up at all. Good news since I'm still under 25, and for men under 25 they not only give you a higher rate to begin with, they also charge you more when you've been in an accident than if it were a girl.

Hooray!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #907
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
AAAH! Shut the front door! I have a beta too. His name is Rutabaga and he's a pretty dark blue.
What a great name! Mine is named Starsky - kind of an oblique only-I-know star reference (as in Tolkien's elves) while being a funny reference to that 70's/80's tv show.

And great news about the insurance stuff!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 08-20-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #908
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Good news since I'm still under 25, and for men under 25 they not only give you a higher rate to begin with, they also charge you more when you've been in an accident than if it were a girl.
.. why? o.O

good to hear the insurance company agreed with you, though!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #909
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Good news since I'm still under 25, and for men under 25 they not only give you a higher rate to begin with, they also charge you more when you've been in an accident than if it were a girl.
That used to be here too because statistically women got into accidents less than men. Then there came a new rule (I think EU) that insurances weren't allowed to differentiate on gender. So before I ever had the chance to profit from a better insurance rate, up they went. Still, for young people car insurance is still bloody expensive.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #910
Mari
Elf Lady

While actually the chances of getting into an accident are lowest for people within the first 2 years of holding a license, and highest for long-distance commuters over 35.
Statistically it's also safest to drive a dark green car. Silver cars get into accidents the most.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #911
Rían

Really? (lowest for people within first 2 years) When I talked to my insurance guy, he said that like 80% of people have an accident in their first year of driving ... Maybe after that first year, it goes way down?

Anyway, yay for Tessar!

I am happy because it looks like I might have a day allll to myself tomorrow - at least mostly all for myself - at least a good block of time for myself ...

I need a break from the kids! (I type this quickly because two of them are standing near me! ) Love 'em, but one just needs a break sometime!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #912
Rían

Just found out that one of my son's football teammates made pro! Chad Kackert is now on the Jaguars. That guy is small, but can run like the wind! We used to watch him after practice, running with an open parachute behind him, and it hardly affected him at all - it was amazing! I hope he does well

Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #913
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Really? (lowest for people within first 2 years) When I talked to my insurance guy, he said that like 80% of people have an accident in their first year of driving ... Maybe after that first year, it goes way down?
I wonder why the difference between our countries?
Perhaps it's because here you have to be 18 before being able to take lessons and having to be taught by an official driving instructor before taking a really hard test? Plus, Dutch people might not drive as much as Americans and other distances.

But anyway, enjoy your day off! And congrats to the teammate of your son. Does that mean he gets a college scholarship too or something?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #914
Mari
Elf Lady

I actually came in to say I'm happy because my books arrived from the UK! Two lovely dictionaries and 2 readingbooks. I was able to replace a very important book to me that I'd lent out but never got back.
Yay!

Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #915
Rían

No, this is after college - he graduated, and then got on an NFL team (professional football - American football, that is).

Yay for your books, Mari!

I'm happy because I made 3 really good chicken pot pies today - they were delicious! I gave 2 of them to my nephew's family - he had hand surgery today, and I offered to bring them dinner. I also took over a lot of "convalescent" food, like jello, applesauce, crackers, ginger ale, etc. but actually, he's doing very well - he's eating just fine. His surgery was a LOT shorter than the surgeries that my family and I had, though. He was under a lot less time, which makes a big difference. Anyway, I hope it spoke some lovin' to him

Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #916
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I know it's only the second week, but I am doing very, very well in my classes. So far I am really enjoying my business stuff... it's sort of nice to have a subject where the more you study the better you get. I know that sounds obvious but with music, especially music theory, it always feels like the more you study, the more you hope you'll improve.

So I'm happy that I seem to be doing well. My detail oriented side, which was formerly only a 'music thing', seems to be coming out into my business classes... which is nice.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #917
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
... it's sort of nice to have a subject where the more you study the better you get. I know that sounds obvious but with music, especially music theory, it always feels like the more you study, the more you hope you'll improve.
I guess music is more about practise than about studying books?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 09-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #918
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

My three sons (does that make me Fred MacMurray?- though I usually refer to them as Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe) were off to their first day of the new high school year, all nicely dressed in their new uniforms.

Seeing that they looked a little glum about the end of vacation, I tried cheering them up:

"Remember, the best thing about starting a new year in Senior High School is getting to check out all the cute girls in your new classes.

Ohh, that's right, you guys go to an all-boys school, hahaha ...."

Well, it made me happy.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 09-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #919
Mari
Elf Lady

*chuckles* How very evil of you, GM! What was their response?

Old 09-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #920
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
My three sons (does that make me Fred MacMurray?- though I usually refer to them as Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe) were off to their first day of the new high school year, all nicely dressed in their new uniforms.

Seeing that they looked a little glum about the end of vacation, I tried cheering them up:

"Remember, the best thing about starting a new year in Senior High School is getting to check out all the cute girls in your new classes.

Ohh, that's right, you guys go to an all-boys school, hahaha ...."

Well, it made me happy.
I didn't know you had all boys, GM. Somehow, I thought you had a girl or two.

I also have three boys. I think brownjenkins does as well. I wonder how many others.

I think there have been a few other TV shows with a father & three sons, but I can't think of others now (except a very short-lived one, starring Nigel Bruce as a father in a medieval home - I think he was a baron). A local TV station has recently started showing Bonanza regularly, and I've gotten back into that show.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Closed Thread