Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #901
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
Then would "I agree with hectorberlioz" necessitate an opinion that hectorberlioz is true? Be still my heart.

Maybe "correct" is the word we're looking for.
That's purely sophistical. You are using agree in a different manner; you cannot both agree or disagree with a person and an idea in the same way. To agree with an idea means you think it is true. To agree with a person means you think they are correct; that is, that they idea in the particular matter is true.

Quote:
I've been thinking about this, and it occurs to me that we're kind of stranded at the basis of geometry. Euclidian geometry has postulates that Lobachevskian geometry doesn't use. They equally are 'true', but you can't use one to prove or disprove the other.
For the record, I love Euclidean geometry.

Quote:
Likewise, we're unlikely to get anywhere attempting to prove or disprove issues like the age of creation without shared postulates.
I absolutely agree. I think it's vital to find common principles in an argument before one proceeds; to not follow this order is, quite frankly, foolish.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #902
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Yet the fall of Satan is much more explicit in at least one other scripture, as I mentioned. The Protestant view on this, at least in modern times, comes from the Bible rather than from Catholic tradition.
The Protestant view of the passage from the prophet comes from Catholic tradition.

Quote:
I, at any rate, accept this story as true because it's in the Bible and not because it's in Catholic tradition . Not that Catholic tradition is bad, at all, and it might be all true. Though there are some parts that I really doubt, because they seem to contradict scripture, such as Mary's never having had any sexual intercourse with Joseph after giving birth to Jesus.

But I would like to see a different example of something in Protestant beliefs that is really rooted in Catholic tradition and not in the Bible.
The books in the New Testament, for one thing.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #903
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
They're not assumed to be true. They're agreed to be true. Quite different.
From Websters: (bolding is mine)

Quote:
postulate:
2. to assume without proof to be true, real, or necessary, esp. as a basis for argument.
3. to take as self-evident or axiomatic; assume.
Quote:
axiom:
3. logic, match. a statement that needs no proof because its truth is obvious; self-evident proposition.
Maybe you can find a definition with "agreed" - I didn't see that word, though. But I can live with either "assume" or "agree" - the point, IMO, is that they're not formally "proved".

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 02-28-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:02 AM   #904
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sis - ps - I didn't mean "assume" in a casual sense; I meant it in a formal sense.

BB - when you said you were concerned about my "intellectual honesty", to me, that means you're concerned that I'm being intellectually dishonest. Maybe you use it a different way, though. Maybe you just meant that you thought I was intellectually inept, which I'm sure I am many times . But dishonest, I'm not. And when you use a word like "honest", and say you're concerned about it, then it just seemed very natural to think you meant I was being dishonest. Do you see where I was coming from? Anyway, from the rest of your post, it looks like you think my technique is at fault. I've never had any formal training so I"m not surprised at that! I just try to read people's posts, think about them and analyze them, and then respond honestly and thoughtfully.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #905
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
That's purely sophistical. You are using agree in a different manner; you cannot both agree or disagree with a person and an idea in the same way. To agree with an idea means you think it is true. To agree with a person means you think they are correct; that is, that they idea in the particular matter is true.
I agree with Gwai

Old 03-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #906
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Okay, I won't quibble about math!! *bows to your geekdom*
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 AM   #907
Rían

math iz fun! *geeky look*

Old 03-01-2007, 09:50 AM   #908
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
To agree with an idea means you think it is true. To agree with a person means you think they are correct; that is, that they idea in the particular matter is true.
I don't think that is true, but I agree with the sentiment.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #909
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Rian, from the online encyclopedia,

formerly the Encylopedia Brittanica.
[QUOTE]AXIOM (Gr. &iwµa) , a See also:GENERAL GENERAL (Lat. generalis, of or relating to a genus, kind or class)general proposition or principle accepted as self-evident, either absolutely or within a particular See also:SPHERE (Gr. vclsa?pa, a ball or globe)sphere of thought . Each See also:SPECIALspecial See also:SCIENCE (Lat. scientia, from scire; to learn, know)science has its own axioms (cf. the Aristotelian &pxai, " first principles"), which, however, are sometimes susceptible of See also:PROOF (in M. Eng. preove, proeve, preve, &°c., from O. Fr . prueve, proeve, &c., mod. preuve, Late. Lat. proba, probate, to prove, to test the goodness of anything, probus, good)proof in another wider science . The See also:GREEK GREEK, ETRUSCAN ANDGreek word was probably confined by See also:PLATOPlato to mathematical axioms, but See also:ARISTOTLE ARISTOTLE (384-322 B.C.)Aristotle gave it also the wider significance of the ultimate principles of thought which are behind all special sciences (e.g. the principle of See also: CONTRADICTION, PRINCIPLE OF (principium contradictionis)contradiction) . These are apprehended solely by the mind, which may, however, be led to them by an inductive See also:PROCESS process . After Aristotle, the See also:TERMterm was used by the See also:STOICSStoics and the school of See also:RAMUS, PETRUS, or PIERRE DE LA RAMEE (1515-1572)Ramus for a proposition simply, and See also:BACON BACON (through the O. Fr. bacon, Low Lat. baco, from a Teutonic word cognate with " back," e.g. O. H. Ger. pacho, M. H. Ger. backe, buttock, flitch of bacon) BACON, FRANCIS (BARON VERULAM, VISCOUNT ST ALBANS) (1561-1626) BACON, JOHN (1740–1799) BACON, LEONARD (1802–1881)BACON, ROGER (c. 1214-c. 1294)BACON, SIR NICHOLAS (1509-1579) Bacon {Nov . See also:ORGAN Organ. i . 7) used it of any general proposition . The word was reintroduced in See also:MODERN modern See also:PHILOSOPHY (Gr. gthos, fond of, and vo4 (a, wisdom)philosophy probably by Rene See also: DESCARTES, RENE (1596-1650)Descartes (or by his followers)who, in the See also: SEARCH, or VISIT AND SEARCHsearch for a definite self-evident principle as the basis of a new philosophy, naturally turned to the See also:FAMILIAR (through the Fr. familier, from Lat. familiaris, of or belonging to the familia, family)familiar science of See also:MATHEMATICS (Gr. /saBnµar1Kil, Sc. vOcvn or E7rlQTt'µn; from p iN.La, "learning" or "science ")mathematics . The See also:AXIOM (Gr. &iwµa)axiom of See also:CARTESIANISM Cartesianism is, therefore, the Cogito ergo sum . See also: KANT, IMMANUEL (1724-1804)
Kant still further narrowed the meaning to include only self-evident (intuitive) synthetic propositions, i.e. of space and See also:TIME (0. Eng. Lima, cf. Icel. timi, Swed. timme, hour, Dan. time; from the root also seen in " tide," properly the time of between the flow and ebb of the sea, cf. O. Eng. getidan, to happen, " even-tide," &c.; it is not directly related to Lat. tempus)TIME, MEASUREMENT OF TIME, STANDARDtime .

The nature of axiomatic certainty is See also:PARTpart of the fundamental problem of See also:LOGIC (Xoy1K7, sc. rixvrt, the art of reasoning)logic and See also:METAPHYSICS METAPHYSICS, or METAPHYSIC (from Gr. /sera, after, d v med, things of nature, lots, i.e. the natural universe)metaphysics . Those who deny the possibility of all non-empirical knowledge naturally hold that every axiom is ultimately based on observation . For the Euclidian axioms see See also:
GEOMETRY
GEOMETRY .

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Maybe you can find a definition with "agreed" - I didn't see that word, though. But I can live with either "assume" or "agree" - the point, IMO, is that they're not formally "proved".
Gwai, sophistry? Of course. What would be more appropriate to this discussion? Without shared referent, it's sophistical by its very nature. I was mostly just thinking it was funny.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #910
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

If it wasn't for Plato, sophistry would still be a compliment.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #911
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
If it wasn't for Plato, sophistry would still be a compliment.
the challenge when the winners set the definitions.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #912
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by sis
Rian, from the online encyclopedia, ...
I searched the definition you provided and didn't find "agree" or "agreed", so it looks like I'm still correct since I hope everyone here would certainly accept Websters as a valid source

Anyway, I'm guessing we agree about the general idea of the word's meaning, though, right?

Last edited by Rían : 03-01-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #913
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
the challenge when the winners set the definitions.

The thing is: they WON. They won for a reason, because their arguements (talking about Plato here...) were better. Not all trash is priceless...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 03-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #914
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Rian, you didn't read carefully enough.

"A general proposition or principle accepted as self evident" would be "agreed upon" as self-evident, particularly with a further clarification as "either absolutely or within a particular sphere of thought."

Quote:
generally approved or compelling recognition; "several accepted techniques for treating the condition"; "his recognized superiority in this kind of work"
generally agreed upon; not subject to dispute; "the accepted interpretation of the poem"; "an accepted theory"; "the undisputed fact"
generally accepted or used; "accepted methods of harmony and melody"; "three accepted types of pump"
acceptable: judged to be in conformity with approved usage; "acceptable English usage"
widely or permanently accepted; "an accepted precedent"
widely accepted as true or worthy; "the accepted wisdom about old age"; "a received moral idea"; "Received political wisdom says not; surveys show otherwise"- Economist
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
The idea being, that unless all present start from the same basis, the argument will always be "unprovable", which is not identical to "untrue."
Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #915
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Hector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
The thing is: they WON. They won for a reason, because their arguements (talking about Plato here...) were better. Not all trash is priceless...
Go ahead and argue in favor of Plato's approach to reality. I wait with bated breath.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #916
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Go ahead and argue in favor of Plato's approach to reality. I wait with bated breath.
Thats not my point...I'm just saying that the "you just won cuz yer famous" arguement is stupid, because the people who are the "winners" won for a reason, whether their ideas were/are "true" or not is not my point, though I will say they were/are compelling. Even Martin Luther.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 03-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #917
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

hector, no one but you ever said

that "you won cause you're famous." I don't know where you'd even insert that in the conversation.

brown jenkins and I were just agreeing, as is historically accurate, that the negative picture most people have of sophistry is due largely to Plato's biased version of it.@@

"The people who won", in various venues, have won due to a number of causes, most of them only marginally related to the rigor of their relationship with TRUTH, or that "their arguments were better".
Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #918
hectorberlioz

Quote:
that "you won cause you're famous." I don't know where you'd even insert that in the conversation.
It the same brand of fine whine as "the winners write history".

EDIT: slight misreading

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 03-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #919
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by sis
Rian, you didn't read carefully enough.
I did read it carefully, Sis. And I searched for the words "accept" and "accepted", and they weren't there. How is that not reading carefully enough? Maybe you didn't read carefully enough! If you want to say that "accepted" can mean "agreed upon", and provide a definition of "accepted" that uses the word "agreed", then that's up to you, but don't claim I didn't read carefully enough when the word you're talking about isn't there. (I'm guessing your latest quote is a definition for "accepted", although it doesn't say).

I said I was fine with "agreed", anyway, so what's the big deal? You started this by nitpicked my use of the word "assumed" in my casual definition of axiom/postulate, and you said I was wrong. I provided a dictionary definition from a respected source that used "assume" several times right in the definition, which proved I was right. You never acknowledged that I was right and that you were wrong over this word, and you still haven't provided a defintion of axiom or postulate that uses your word ("agreed"). And even though you still haven't provided a definition of axiom or postulate with "agreed" in it, I was gracious enough to concede its use to you, yet you still haven't conceded I'm right about "assumed", even though I provided a dictionary definition that used it. What's up? You were wrong about "assume" - so what? :shrug: We're all wrong sometimes. 'Fess up and let's keep the conversation going

What's your background in math, btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sis
The idea being, that unless all present start from the same basis, the argument will always be "unprovable", which is not identical to "untrue."
Who used "untrue"?

Last edited by Rían : 03-01-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #920
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Are we playing word find?

Then find me where I said you were "wrong."
Closed Thread