Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:10 PM   #901
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Serenoli, what do you think? Taking away the bit you proposed Gor will mean completley re writing the post.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 02-21-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #902
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Glad you liked the post. I will post similar things for Ray and Marty once they get popped off.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #903
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Earniel, nice post. I see there remain some reasonable beings in Nin-in Eilph!
The pirates seem to be somewhat less reasonable, considering they've been spotted and still consider attacking a city that has been prepared for them anyway. Methinks Aiwendis will not have to face the aweful dilemma of being asked out to the bonfire by Valandil on Friday. With the city duly warned for attack, no one in their right mind is going to organize a large event outside or inside the city walls.

Of course, if we'd really want the bonfire, there could be one organized the day after to celebrate the utter anahilation of the pirates by the city guard.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #904
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Earniel, I can't agree more. That will not be reasonable for the pirates to continue the raid.

What you say here I said many-many posts ago - the only advantage of the pirates is secrecy. Once the FOGAL people insisted on getting the warning of the raid by smelling a smoke at 400 km, the whole original idea was ruined, both the nice fight and the bonfires.

So now, what?

Last edited by Gordis : 02-21-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #905
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Serenoli, what do you think? Taking away the bit you proposed Gor will mean completley re writing the post.
TD, it is ENTIRELY up to you and Serenoli.

If you follow my suggestion, you will have to re-write the earlier post, but the most part of its original content will be re-utilised in a future post, and it will be expanded into a full-blown quarrel about fidelity to the Master.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #906
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Just posted - I know the intelligence issue was controversial a while back and reading back I couldn't tell whether a consensus was reached, so I tried to be as vague as possible. Hope it's ok.
You were too vague, sun-star, to the point of dating it Tuesday, not Thursday. - Just joking.

Anyway, I am very glad you are back posting! Please, post MORE!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #907
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
The pirates seem to be somewhat less reasonable, considering they've been spotted and still consider attacking a city that has been prepared for them anyway. Methinks Aiwendis will not have to face the aweful dilemma of being asked out to the bonfire by Valandil on Friday. With the city duly warned for attack, no one in their right mind is going to organize a large event outside or inside the city walls.

Of course, if we'd really want the bonfire, there could be one organized the day after to celebrate the utter anahilation of the pirates by the city guard.
I also felt the raid and bonfire plot was doomed almost from the beginning.

Nice posts, All!

Gor, what is the Captain doing? Is he aware of the fight in the triangular house?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #908
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
So now, what?
So now we drive off the pirates, slog back to Tharbad to recover and have a celebratory bonfire a little later than was originally planned.

The original idea was changed as more players got involved and as it got woven into the larger storyline. Saying it was ruined is a bit strong. Getting attached to one form of an idea is dangerous in this context, it's part of what leads to squabbling instead of cooperation.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 02-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #909
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Gor, what is the Captain doing? Is he aware of the fight in the triangular house?
I have not yet written the post, just not in a right mood. The Captain is not planning to go to Udu's house. Fend for yourself!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #910
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Agreed with LMM. I think we can still have a nice pausible fight, an then a large post-slaughter booze up!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #911
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Agreed with LMM. I think we can still have a nice pausible fight, an then a large post-slaughter booze up!
It depends on the pirates, and they are VERY reasonable beings. You need two sides for a fight! So it's up to Udu.

This doesn't apply to the booze up.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #912
CrazySquirrel

A fight downriver excludes almost all of us.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #913
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Crazy Squirrel, are you on right now? I'm wondering if you could make one tiny change in your post #802, where it says Buz went drinking at the Star - can you write it that he headed that way, and was sort of sullenly thinking, then halfway there he changes his mind and zoots home? So our posts match in that tiny detial. What do you think of me bringing Lilly's boyfriend and bay sister to the rescue, do you like it? I got so mad yesterday, I've been fed up for so so long anyway about how come us Nazgul can't work together and ally themselves with one another and instead focus their irritation on the good guys, or whatever, and Lilly being needlessly, pointlessly tortured by 3 - no, 4 counting the Captain's o.k., nazgul with no one to back her up - it all was too freakin' much. I wondered that same question about whether Nazgul could kill one another; thanx Udu for that explanation about the Blade of Westernesse. I was unsure.

Sun-Star, I sure wish YOU'd post here more often! I'm serious. This story has needed the POV of the Kings military intelligence for ages now. Plus, you're very good at dialogue.

Earniel, excellent, and Shah, and Lady M, all great reading!

Everyone, nice posts. So, TD and Udu and Serenoli, and Crazy Squirrel, did you four agree with how I started the brawl in defence of Lilly? I haven't heard feedback at all about it. You know, I had an idea come to me last night when I was laying in bed, tryna fall asleep and thinking about the story - what if the fighting Nazzies knock something accidentally into that firepit, and the whole bleedin' building goes up in a whirlwind of flames! Can you imagine? They'd all forget the fight for a minute just to flee from the place; all those Nazgul freaking out and running away from a fire. I'd write it but I have to let you four follow the post I already wrote.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-21-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #914
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Crazy Squirrel, are you on right now? I'm wondering if you could make one tiny change in your post #802, where it says Buz went drinking at the Star - can you write it that he headed that way, and was sort of sullenly thinking, then halfway there he changes his mind and zoots home? So our posts match in that tiny detial. What do you think of me bringing Lilly's boyfriend and bay sister to the rescue, do you like it? I got so mad yesterday, I've been fed up for so so long anyway about how come us Nazgul can't work together and ally themselves with one another and instead focus their irritation on the good guys, or whatever, and Lilly being needlessly, pointlessly tortured by 3 - no, 4 counting the Captain's o.k., nazgul with no one to back her up - it all was too freakin' much. I wondered that same question about whether Nazgul could kill one another; thanx Udu for that explanation about the Blade of Westernesse. I was unsure.
Yes, sure I can make the change. EDIT: here it is:

"Buz left them at the doors of Aiwendis's wing, and strode alone towards the "Star of Earendil", a very decent establishment he had stumbled upon right alongside the Rotting Cod, to soothe his parched throat. But once there, the wine appeared sour to him. After a few glasses, he rose swearing and made his way to Orrodel to think."

No need to get mad. Do you want the REAL explanation why it was Lilly and not one of the good guys who was tortured in this story? Here it is: I was the ONLY one who agreed for my character to be tortured! No one of the FOGAL's agreed. Of course, Udu's "facilities" were originally planned for them. And once the facilities were there, there should be someone to torture. Otherwise that would have been a loose end in the story.

I am glad to be rescued, thanks, Viv and Buz! Only perhaps it was too early - 1. I haven't seen this scream cell yet and 2. I really hoped to see Tol changing into a maid-rescuing knight.
But, anyway, thanks, it was getting too hot there! Great post.

As to the last question, Oh, please, don't burn Udu's house! That will be a city scandal. Moreover, knocking down some coals on the stone floor of the dungeon will not lead to a fire. I think the fight will stop, once they realise that they are evenly matched.
But it is up to Udu, TD and Serenoli.

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 02-21-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #915
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

You're right, maybe I was a bit too hasty with the rescue attempt. Sorry about that; I didn't even think that that might be the reason why I'm not getting any feedback form you guys on that post. I forgot about the scream room. But Tolvadok can DEFINITELY still be a maid-rescuer!!! He's right there! And he can be the one who cuts her down, and soothes her wounds first, while the others either argue with or are physically engaged with Khamul and Udu.

edit: AND, so your Lilly is the story's sacrificial lamb! I never knew that. I wonder why none of the FOGALs wanted to play a good guy that gets tortured. It all makes sense now; poor Lilly though, to have to be the martyr like that! It's way too late in the story now, but if I knew then what I know now, I'd have done a few things differently. Like, I could have invented my OWN important elf or human, and then made him or her do my bidding, and get tortured if needs be! Other stuff too. This RPG has definitely been one hell of a learning experience, a VERY good one.

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-21-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:24 PM   #916
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
You're right, maybe I was a bit too hasty with the rescue attempt. Sorry about that; I didn't even think that that might be the reason why I'm not getting any feedback form you guys on that post. I forgot about the scream room. But Tolvadok can DEFINITELY still be a maid-rescuer!!! He's right there! And he can be the one who cuts her down, and soothes her wounds first, while the others either argue with or are physically engaged with Khamul and Udu.
No need to be sorry, what is done is done. All for the better!

And you will get feedback I am sure, once Serenoli and TD sort the problem with the earlier post, where Tol acted out of character. I think now they are both confused what to do next.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #917
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

And also, thank you for the edit; that is perfect.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #918
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Earniel, I can't agree more. That will not be reasonable for the pirates to continue the raid.

What you say here I said many-many posts ago - the only advantage of the pirates is secrecy. Once the FOGAL people insisted on getting the warning of the raid by smelling a smoke at 400 km, the whole original idea was ruined, both the nice fight and the bonfires.
It's an occupational hazard in RPG's, I fear. One can't control what others write and how they respond to one's posts. But I like to point out that people didn't immediately say "nay" to the idea. Instead, a lot of us tried to accomodate an idea that they didn't necessarily like but still went along with to see how it could work logically with the other characters. To say we ruined it is somewhat exagerated. To say it didn't go as originally planned would have been more accurate. But then again, how much in this game has gone as initially planned?

Last edited by Earniel : 02-21-2006 at 02:38 PM. Reason: grammar is your friend
Old 02-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #919
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Heheh! Its the whole Roherric Knightly gene! Ray has it too, perhaps he inherited it from his long lost ancestor TOLDOVAK! The world will never know...
Old 02-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #920
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Here it is: I was the ONLY one who agreed for my character to be tortured! No one of the FOGAL's agreed.
Did you ask any of them? I don't remember anything about that...
Also, there's that old problem that you FOEADs have about being discovered - if one of the main "good" characters got tortured, wouldn't that cause some danger of discovery?
It seems like the best option would have been to make a "good" character who was dispensable (sp?) and wouldn't be missed, like a Tolkien version of a travelling salesman or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
The original idea was changed as more players got involved and as it got woven into the larger storyline. Saying it was ruined is a bit strong. Getting attached to one form of an idea is dangerous in this context, it's part of what leads to squabbling instead of cooperation.
good, helpful POV again, Maggie! We've all had to give things up to make the story work with everyone's characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniel
It's an occupational hazard in RPG's, I fear. One can't control what others write and how they respond to one's posts. But I like to point out that people didn't immediately say "nay" to the idea. Instead, a lot of us tried to accomodate an idea that they didn't necessarily like but still went along with to see how it could work logically with the other characters. To say we ruined it is somewhat exagerated. To say it didn't go as originally planned would have been more accurate. But then again, how much in this game has gone as initially planned?
I totally agree.

Sun-Star and Earniel - Yay! Keep posting!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 02-21-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Closed Thread