Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 12:15 AM   #901
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

i'm really annoyed right now because i just finished the three books i bought in less than a week! The Tin Princess (Phillip Pullman), Faerie Wars (author's name escapes my memory... Herbie something or other...), and Zipped (by a couple... last name mcneal i think). all great books, if i find i good book i can't put i down till i finish! i think i might read Neuromancer - by William Gibson - next, unless it boggles my mind in the first chapter or so...
Old 08-17-2003, 12:30 AM   #902
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I absolutely LOVED Neuromancer. Have you read anything else by Gibson? Burning Chrome (short stories) and Mona Lisa Overdrive aren't bad, but Neuromancer sets the bar!
Old 08-17-2003, 12:56 AM   #903
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Neuromancer is great, but the first time through probably will boggle your mind. That's one of the reasons why it's so great I actually just picked up some Gibson books today (Idoru, Virtual Light, and Mona Lisa Overdrive) that I'm looking forward to reading.

As for what I'm reading now, I just finished Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack, and I think I'm going to start Ambient, also by Womack. If you've never read any of his stuff, It's pretty darn amazing.

Of course, now I'm in the mood for Neuromancer... decisions, decisions.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:49 PM   #904
Millane
The Dude

im going to finish readinhg Gangs of New York, then its on to Philosophy in the Matrix, im not suire if its out yet but there is a Philosophy in Lord of the Rings... has anyone seen it it could be good
Old 08-17-2003, 06:53 PM   #905
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I'm finishing The Human Factor, by Graham Greene. Quite good in spite of being a spy's story 20+ years old, in the times of the apartheid in SA.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:03 PM   #906
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Right now I'm reading stuff for school. The Invisible Man, The Pact, To Kill a Mockingbird. As soon as school starts I'm picking up the Silmarillion for the first time!
Old 08-19-2003, 11:20 PM   #907
Silme*Christian
Lady of Lamedon

I am, for now, reading "Seabiscuit: an American Legend" because I finaly got my fingers on the book for a good price. I love Seabiscuit, I even have the SB Breyer's horse complete with his trophies, ribons, roses, horse blanket, Red Polard figourine, 'SB' stall, saddle, reins and movie of SB's life. I don't think you guys will have any clue to what I just typed. Here is a little info: 'Breyer's' is a company that makes really good-expencive horse colectables. My favorit horses are SB, Cloud Dancer, Cupid, Arrow, Mystic and Gypsy's King.

Jesus scares the "hell" out of people! He rocks!

http://linwe.proboards19.com/index.cgi
Old 08-20-2003, 06:07 AM   #908
Millane
The Dude

i got bored today and started reading Pulp Faction by Chopper... i dont think anyone here will know it (unless your australian) but he's a crim and basically he writes "fiction" from his 30 years in the aust underworld... anyway its a pretty ****ed up story about a collingwood gang, and it launches into there story when there about 14 and they go shoot some crim and his cronies for some reason or other, anyway its just a disgusting sex, drug and violence story thats incredibly disturbing and fascinating... if you can find any of Choppers books read them because there 50 times better than most of the trashy crime fiction that comes out these days...
Old 08-20-2003, 04:00 PM   #909
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I just finished Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, which is a masterful and highly literary piece of storytelling that belongs here, even though it is (on the surface) a comic book.

Right now I'm in the middle of The Drowning Pool by Ross Macdonald. Out of the Big Three of private eye fiction (Macdonald, Chandler, Hammett) he was the only one I'd never read before.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Old 08-20-2003, 10:21 PM   #910
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Just finished One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Its about a man who was put into one of Stalin's labor camps during World War II. Overall it is a good book.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:56 PM   #911
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
I just finished Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, which is a masterful and highly literary piece of storytelling that belongs here, even though it is (on the surface) a comic book
Technically, it's a Graphic Novel.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:42 PM   #912
olsonm
Elf Lord

Which is a fancy word for comic book.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:15 AM   #913
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

No, there's a distinction.

Main Entry: graphic novel
Function: noun
Date: 1978
: a fictional story for adults that is presented in comic-strip format and published as a book

Main Entry: comic book
Function: noun
Date: 1941
: a magazine containing sequences of comic strips

Another good definition:
  • Graphic Novels and Comic Books are cousins, but not the same thing. Comic Books are stories told mostly through dialogue and are usually serial--they continue from one book to another. Graphic Novels are usually stand-alone stories that are told through the illustrations. The text is peripheral. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part this is true.

Last edited by Sheeana : 08-21-2003 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:43 AM   #914
olsonm
Elf Lord

No. I meant it was a fancy word for "Comic Book". Comic-books (as your definition points out) are periodical magazines: that have been improperly labelled as books. The term "Graphic Novel" was coined for the first true Comic Books to avoid confusion. -- Mr. Hair-splitter.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:29 AM   #915
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Just finished One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Its about a man who was put into one of Stalin's labor camps during World War II. Overall it is a good book.
Yes, very good book.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:38 AM   #916
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasty Ent
I absolutely LOVED Neuromancer. Have you read anything else by Gibson? Burning Chrome (short stories) and Mona Lisa Overdrive aren't bad, but Neuromancer sets the bar!
I'm hoping to give him a chance after I finish re-reading the Dune series. Could you give me some suggestions on the best place to start?
Old 08-21-2003, 01:46 PM   #917
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
I'm finishing The Human Factor, by Graham Greene. Quite good in spite of being a spy's story 20+ years old, in the times of the apartheid in SA.
Yeah, not one of my favorites, but even lesser Greene is still pretty good.

Have you read "The Power and the Glory"? It's about a Catholic priest being hunted by the militantly anti-Christian Government in a Mexican state- very, very good.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 08-21-2003, 05:52 PM   #918
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I'm hoping to give him a chance after I finish re-reading the Dune series. Could you give me some suggestions on the best place to start?
I would definitely start would Neuromancer.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:15 PM   #919
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by zinnite
I would definitely start would Neuromancer.
yep, that's my favorite

also suggest drinking coffee while reading -- the combo of speeding on caffeine and the pulse of the text is too much fun!
Old 08-22-2003, 07:59 AM   #920
anduin
Entwife

I am reading Musashi: The Bushido Code (book 4 of 5) by Yoshikawa Eiji. I am also reading The Art of War by Sun-tzu.
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

Closed Thread