Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2003, 11:52 PM   #881
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I was pretty sure you did. Just sometimes you can tend to be the opposite of BoP and Coney: while you are certainly not "anti-non-American", it sometimes seems that you only say good things about America.
I've repeatedly said that America hasn't always been perfect. I just think too many people judge America in the worst possible light and refuse to say anything good about America.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:53 PM   #882
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Now, I don't know if that's quite fair, Coney. There have been things he hasn't criticised the world for, I'm sure.

And sorry for going off-topic, but I think this is the only way to get your attention. I've sent you two PM's quite a while ago, and not received a reply on either. I also asked you a question in the Easter thread, about the pre-Christian Easter a day or two ago, and haven't gotten an answer yet.

Sorry to be such an annoyance.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:56 PM   #883
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Now, I don't know if that's quite fair, Coney. There have been things he hasn't criticised the world for, I'm sure.

And sorry for going off-topic, but I think this is the only way to get your attention. I've sent you two PM's quite a while ago, and not received a reply on either. I also asked you a question in the Easter thread, about the pre-Christian Easter a day or two ago, and haven't gotten an answer yet.

Sorry to be such an annoyance.
I'll send you a pm

In a vain attempt to keep the thread on-topic, although I'm not sure what the topic of the thread is now

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:57 PM   #884
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I've repeatedly said that America hasn't always been perfect. I just think too many people judge America in the worst possible light and refuse to say anything good about America.
Not quite. I don't think Coney has ever said anything good about America, but BoP has on a few ocassions. But it still seems to me that you are a bit overly pro-American and a bit unverly appreciative of other countries. I don't think Coney's statement was true, but it does seem to be not that far from the mark.

True...the war is hardly pending...

Thanks.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 04-11-2003 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:13 AM   #885
jerseydevil

Quote:
Not quite. I don't think Coney has ever said anything good about America, but BoP has on a few ocassions. But it still seems to me that you are a bit overly pro-American and a bit unverly appreciative of other countries. I don't think Coney's statement was true, but it does seem to be not that far from the mark.

True...the war is hardly pending...

Thanks.
Well it's a little difficult to put all of my feelings into posts on a messageboard - when mostly it seems like I'm mostly responding to the negative American things. If people talk to me on a personal level then they'd know how I feel about everything. Then you'd know how I feel about the various countries too.

For instance - I have repeatedly stated that I was not upset by France for not supporting us in the war - I was upset by how they went about it. Chirac threatened the Eastern European members with risking their EU membership if they didn't shut up in their support for us. I can careless whether France supported us or not - it was how they acted by trying to do everythign in their power to stonewall us.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-12-2003, 12:19 AM   #886
Gwaimir Windgem

-nods-

Yes, I see what you're saying.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-12-2003, 12:24 AM   #887
jerseydevil

Quote:
-nods-

Yes, I see what you're saying.
Also - during the heat of the anti-American threads - I started this thread to try to foster understanding between different countries...

What's Your Country Like

If I was trully against other countries - I would not have done this.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-12-2003, 12:25 AM   #888
Gwaimir Windgem

I can certainly understand your motivation, and certainly do agree that it's a good motivation, and that America should be defended. But it still gives the same impression, regardless of why. But of course, sometimes sacrifices must be made.

EDIT: In reply to your second post, it didn't really seem to me that you were AGAINST other countries, but you gave the impression that they were...um, having trouble getting my thoughts out...almost not really worth mentioning. Ugh, that sounds bad, much worse than what I'm thinking, but that's the closest my feeble brain can get to it.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 04-12-2003 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:32 AM   #889
jerseydevil

Quote:
I can certainly understand your motivation, and certainly do agree that it's a good motivation, and that America should be defended. But it still gives the same impression, regardless of why. But of course, sometimes sacrifices must be made.

EDIT: In reply to your second post, it didn't really seem to me that you were AGAINST other countries, but you gave the impression that they were...um, having trouble getting my thoughts out...almost not really worth mentioning. Ugh, that sounds bad, much worse than what I'm thinking, but that's the closest my feeble brain can get to it.
It's difficult to praise other countires when basically the posts are required to defend the erroneous accusations made against America. If people would be a little more open to accepting the positives of America - I would be more open to discussing the positives of other countries.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-12-2003, 04:27 AM   #890
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Of course, the 300,000 will still do more good, but I definitely think they deserve appreciation and acknowledgement for this case of Widow's Mite.
It's really nice to hear someone say that, Gwaimir. Thank you
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 04-12-2003 at 10:19 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:19 PM   #891
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

OMG! I just moved so I was gone this week now there are 9 pages to read!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 12:22 AM   #892
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Ok heck with this I got through with reading 4 out of the 9 pages that had new posts since I last visited, lol. My eyes hurt so I am done.

This is what I have to say though, just in respect to a few things I've seen posted and in articles or whatever. If the US wanted to be imperialists, colonialists and take over the world, we would have done so already. The fact that we haven't says a lot about how we DON'T want to do any of those things. We want our 50 states and that is it. If we were so high strung about taking over the world, then why do we only have 50 states? If we wanted to add more we would start with the little island countries around the US, then followed by Mexico and south, then I am sure we'd probably expand on out into the Pacific before we tackle some bigger countries. So to think the US is imperial, colonial and world dominating is ludicrous.

It's like what I have in my sig quoted by the Daily Mirror in the UK:

"America could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot. That it didn't is a sign of strength."

That right there is proof positive about America. Americans don't want world domination, imperialism, colonialism, whatever you want to call it, nor would it ever happen because our people wouldn't stand for it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish, because to think that is what we want is crazy, because if that was the case it would have happened 20-40 years ago...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 04-13-2003 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:08 AM   #893
jerseydevil

In case you miss the Information Minister - you need to chack out the WeLoveTheIraqiInformationMinister website.

This is especially funny...
M.S.S. Throughout History

Here are some new words that a reader to the website came up with...

Quote:
al-Sahafism - noun
The speech delivery method and mannerism of Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf where he states a lie so defiantly that the listener begins to question whether it is himself or the speaker who is crazy.

al-Sahaf, al-Sahafed, al-Sahafing - verb
To lie with the utmost defiance.

al-Sahaf - noun
A lie that is so unbelievable that it becomes a piece of fictional art.
Usage example:
Michael Jackson said in an interview that he had only one plastic surgery.
That was a good bit of al-Sahafism.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-13-2003 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:39 AM   #894
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Baghdad Bob rules!

--Linaewen
Old 04-13-2003, 11:42 AM   #895
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
In case you miss the Information Minister - you need to chack out the WeLoveTheIraqiInformationMinister website.

This is especially funny...
M.S.S. Throughout History

Here are some new words that a reader to the website came up with...
Neh neh neh. Funny. I was already wondering if my family and I were the only ones who enjoyed listening to his speeches. They were so comical, you had the laugh with his antics.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:59 AM   #896
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Neh neh neh. Funny. I was already wondering if my family and I were the only ones who enjoyed listening to his speeches. They were so comical, you had the laugh with his antics.
if any one man needs his own show it is him ! comic genius
Old 04-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #897
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

On a sadder note, I just heard they've even looted the Bagdad museum. 170 000 pieces stolen and we're talking here about the cradle of civilisation. I can understand looting villa's, shops, palaces and banks. But I cannot understand that they would loot their own cultural past so easily.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:11 PM   #898
jerseydevil

Quote:
On a sadder note, I just heard they've even looted the Bagdad museum. 170 000 pieces stolen and we're talking here about the cradle of civilisation. I can understand looting villa's, shops, palaces and banks. But I cannot understand that they would loot their own cultural past so easily.
I know - I couldn't believe that either. A lot of the stuff was just smashed too. It really is unbelievable. It was just senseless destrution. That stuff can't be replaced. It's not like ransacking a building that can be fixed and repainted and everything.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-14-2003, 01:01 AM   #899
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I was very disappointed to hear that too, but felt helpless to do anything about it. The looting is another thing that I'm adding onto the prayers that I send up every day, though.
Quote:
Our family enjoyed those quite a bit also, though we didn't get the link to them from any of these Entmoot links. I think it was from a link on a site my sister is posting on, but I'm not sure. They were amusing though .

And the really good news that I'm very, very surprised that no one has mentioned yet: the original 7 P.O.W.s who were captured have been rescued!
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:48 AM   #900
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
And the really good news that I'm very, very surprised that no one has mentioned yet: the original 7 P.O.W.s who were captured have been rescued!
It is great they were found. I was worried when they found their bloody uniforms. Also - after we got to Baghdad and didn't find them I was wondering if they were locked in one of the undeground jails starving to death because all the guards left. It is great they were found. One of the POWs is from NJ - their parents keep mentioning all the soldiers that aren't making it home though. They're being much more reserved in displaying their joy - which I think has caught the media off guard.

It is interesting how Russia for the past year was spying on Tony Blair and sending the information to Iraq. No wonder why they really didn't support the war.
Quote:
Russia spied for Iraq - paper

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Documents discovered in Iraq indicate Russia helped Saddam Hussein's intelligence services in the months leading up to the war, according to a British newspaper.

Moscow passed on information gathered from western countries about the determination of the United States and Britain to launch military action, The Sunday Telegraph reported.

The paper's reporter David Harrison told CNN that after last week's fall of the regime he went into the bombed and partially burned-out information ministry in Baghdad where he saw documents indicating Russia's assistance.

"We went through cupboards, files and drawers and turned up some extraordinary information about relations between Iraq and Moscow.

"One of the choicest things we found was evidence that the Russians spied on [British Prime Minister] Tony Blair and passed the information on to the Iraqis. I discovered a report that discussed sending troops to Iraq. This was dated from March 5 of last year.
It'll be interesting to see what else the fall of Baghdad reveils. It'll be interesting to see if anything regarding deals between France, Germany and Iraq turns up. I'm sure it's only a matter of time - since we already know some of the stuff they were helping Hussein with.

And Saddam's "Love Shak" is really interesting. They had a picture in the paper today of one of his paintings - it was very interesting. I'd post it on entmoot - but I don't know if it would pass Entmoot standards - since it has nudity in it. I might scan it in and post it on my site with a link and then just supply a warning though. It was a really nice fantasy picture - which is described below.
Quote:
Saddam's 'love shack' discovered

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- The doors of the town house opened to reveal a playboy's fantasy straight from the 1960s: mirrored bedroom, lamps shaped like women, airbrushed paintings of a topless blonde woman and a mustached hero battling a crocodile.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-14-2003 at 03:09 AM.