Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #881
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

The Mc Beastie beater!

Actually growing marrow - as in bone marrow- is creepy and also therefore kinda cool (for the Nazgul chef - as gor would probably call him )- but i was of course reffering to marrows...

Gor : you mean after all those in-depth and high-brow discussions on the Witch Kings's (later) marrow-growing contests: YOU NEVER KNEW WHAT A MARROW WAS?????

well TD is away till thurs then poss off again Fri as he posted .... though he said he may be able to get some access possibly ...

what are "squashes"? I always thought they were pumpkins or similiar?

you guys get courgettes? beutiful courgettes lighty butter fried in the morning? .... anyway if you let em' go you get great big marrows ... like leeks and other things oin the north (of england) there are competetitions etc ... it was confectured many moons ago that The then (later of course) Witch king of Angmar was a keen horticulturalist .... now to be fair this is not 100% canon ... the jury is out and Michael martinez has not even discussed this important angle on the nazgul ...

however i digress .... from what i am not quite sure, but usually it is a fair guess to say " i digress' ...

mmm ... OK i'm just going to leave it at digress... and assume i was going to say something relevant, OK?

best, BB

ps ... heh i'll post Rian ...not got a clue WHAT yet ... but still nothing much new there!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-26-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:59 PM   #882
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Hmmm... everyone assumes my mysterious black-cloaked guy is a Nazgul already!

And yes, he is. But I have not given any thought to him as yet. I'm still stuck at the name part. A little help, guys??

I'm just as mystified as the rest as to who he is, but thanks to all for being so appreciative of my writing.

And Gordis, I don't know where Jas lives. At first, I thought in the Professor's apartments with the Chancellor's Palace, but now I see there's a seperate building for the Wine Department, and I think Jas would like to live close to his little bottles. So can that be arranged somehow? And as for the directions, thanks for clearing that up. I was trying to follow the map, but I was still rather unsure. Good thing Jas was drunk, providing a good excuse for his wrong directions!

Rian, I liked your last 2 posts loads, looking forward to the rest of it!

By the way, do I have to post a bio for my characters, if so, where?

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 10-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #883
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

ahhh, but you'd need the mysterious masked cartographer for that ...

generally, take a street, any old street, hang a few lefts and you'll see THE STREET .... ettiquette (not universal to be fair ) says you should say hello to the watch ... after that you're on your own ....

thread btw is called calling all nazgul info thread or somesuch .... it's in rpg!

so, it wasn't the landlord of the red-herring then?

Names? Theres gothmog and ... er ... the other one!

best BB (the only yet slightly drunk - just signed a biggie off - which what with illness and other commitments buidling up i am feeling very good and somewhat - er - playful? - about just now!)

did i digress again? ... hope so!
Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #884
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
I admit I had to make a Google search for "marrow"...
I only knew because of reading Agatha Christie, and when I came across it, I had to look it up. Strange word for a vegetable! But then again, so is "squash"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
what are "squashes"? I always thought they were pumpkins or similiar?
We use "squash" over here for a general term for the smaller gourd-type veggies, altho technically some that we call squashes are NOT, but whatever - the squash police don't seem to mind

I have no idea what a courgette is, tho - never came across that word in ol' Agatha Christie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
however i digress .... from what i am not quite sure, but usually it is a fair guess to say " i digress' ...

How 'bout "I digest", in keeping with the general theme of the last few posts here?
Yes, please get a post up - what's up with your lovely undead Butterfly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
By the way, do I have to post a bio for my characters, if so, where?
Yes, please do - it can be very short at first, or just a placeholder, and you can add more as you go. It's on the Formal Info thread for this rpg - look for this rpg name with "formal info" in the title, too. There's NO chat allowed there! *stern look* - it's strictly for information, esp. so newer players can get caught up with things without having to wade through mega-posts of chat (the chat is the best part, IMHO, but since we have almost 2000 posts of chat now , I don't expect a new player to read those!) Chat is only for discussion threads.
I'm not good at names, esp. at mannish names - can anyone else help?
(and thanks for the compliment )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-26-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #885
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I suppose you could always just keep your nazgul's name as The Other One.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 10-26-2005, 04:18 PM   #886
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Actually growing marrow - as in bone marrow- is creepy and also therefore kinda cool (for the Nazgul chef - as gor would probably call him )- but i was of course reffering to marrows...

Gor : you mean after all those in-depth and high-brow discussions on the Witch Kings's (later) marrow-growing contests: YOU NEVER KNEW WHAT A MARROW WAS?????
O forgetful BB, there was not a single mention of a "marrow" in the Ringwraiths thread! Go check yourself, I just used the Search option. However, I remember I had to look for "leek". So it was that.
Is growing leeks creepy as well?

So, BB, next time you gonna joke about vegetables please provide the Latin name, a short description and a picture!

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 10-26-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:22 PM   #887
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

(heehee! wolves wolfing down their meal! Good one, GW! )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #888
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Growing bone marrow is deLICIOUSly evil & beautifully creepy!! Or just Italian. Anybody love Osso Bucco as much as I do? Who would grow bone marrow... the Nazgul (was it Gothmog? Gordis & CS, which Nazzie was it who was so into the creepy medicine & torture expertise? THAT guy would try & grow bone marrow, I bet! )

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #889
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
(heehee! wolves wolfing down their meal! Good one, GW! )
Thanks.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:29 PM   #890
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

GW, that WAS cute about wolves wolfing! Now, Lomi's supposed to be with Viv - I guess they can be together right now, since Viv's out & about this night and needs to meet the wolves anyway, hmmm... maybe she can have brought the rodents with Lomi's help as a welcome present to the wolves.

I still don't know what to post for tonight in Tharbad. The next day will be the horse race, but I'm kind of waiting to see what happens at Orrodel before going to the race, because eventually Viv needs to be able to go home and take a bath and change. She's out all night long, no sleep, still wearing her riding outfit from the previous morning. TD, CS, Udu; when are you guys going to finish your Nazgul fight and maid-disposal?

Old 10-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #891
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
Hmmm... everyone assumes my mysterious black-cloaked guy is a Nazgul already!

And yes, he is. But I have not given any thought to him as yet. I'm still stuck at the name part. A little help, guys??
I am so glad we are E I G H T !!!!

The two still missing were
1. Number Three that was called Gothmog in the Fellowhip RPG. He was a nasty cruel character, dumping poor nz girls in a RIVER just for fun! Also, if I remember correctly, he had spilled Lilly's guts in a fight. She needed sewing up, poor girl!
2. Number Four was called Mordacar (Mor) and he was a very nice guy, Vivvie's beau.

But you can invite your OWN name and character! Ask Udu for numbers in Black Speech. He has listed them once on this thread, I think.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:43 PM   #892
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Righ on, Beautiful Boomerang is back! That was a great post, BB - and don't forget, Viv's out and about tonight hanging with the animals, so maybe Boomerang can see her when he goes to find Lomi... now I gotta go, only 4 minutes left on this computer Ah well; see you all later on perhaps!

Old 10-26-2005, 04:43 PM   #893
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I still don't know what to post for tonight in Tharbad. The next day will be the horse race, but I'm kind of waiting to see what happens at Orrodel before going to the race, because eventually Viv needs to be able to go home and take a bath and change. She's out all night long, no sleep, still wearing her riding outfit from the previous morning. TD, CS, Udu; when are you guys going to finish your Nazgul fight and maid-disposal?
The big question is TD, is he going to post? Is he able to?
Normally he should post an answer to Udu. Or we can continue to fight...
Perhaps Udu could post something along the fight lines? Actually Khamul was sure he can best all three of them as "rats in a trap" I would like some Lilly's torture...

Re: NAZGUL doctor was former Eight, Haradmurath?? - creepy guy. Not at all like Udu. And not at all like Penny, who is the present doctor. I would be glad to have a creepy leech again... Eh, Serenoli?

Edit
WAUU, BOOM is Back! Great!

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 10-26-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #894
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
O forgetful BB, there was not a single mention of a "marrow" in the Ringwraiths thread! Go check yourself, I just used the Search option. However, I remember I had to look for "leek". So it was that.
Is growing leeks creepy as well?

So, BB, next time you gonna joke about vegetables please provide the Latin name, a short description and a picture!

forgetful moir? (another very bad frenchie! ... like tate a tate )

oh boy, iv'e lost where i was going again ... it's from thankfully turning off ... after the last 10 days ... jeez ... SO much concentration ....

right ... marrows ... nope! .... er... oh yeah ... got it (hang on) *has sip of wine*

Marrows!

Actually CS you are remiss ...ask Gor ... it actually pre-dates fellowship though i am sure it appeared there, or at least in the discussion thread .... it started from tiny beginnings from the very question Rian asked reagrding gordis's flower in her avvie ... but grew and (allegedly) outshone the marrow-missing michael martinis (or whatever his name is ... *takes another sip* ... boy i need that! ...)

ok ... lost it again .... well don't expect a serious answer from me tonight!

*laughs* - y'know it's good to laugh once in a while - i need to just now!

... but take my word for it ... in AU: it IS a canon!

best ALL, BB
Old 10-26-2005, 05:48 PM   #895
Rían

BB - "truly, .... it was in the air!" LOL! I'm glad to see Beautiful back!

Lotesse- - "maid-disposal" - heehee! Poor girl!! Will she end up as wolf-kibble? Will she be healed and mind-erased? Inquiring minds want to know!
(btw, Rian will be gone all night - we elves don't need to sleep, after all - so take your time! Just please be done by dawn!)

CS - ugh, that #3 sounds creepy! Well, we need some more baddies, since we just got 2 more elves in the mix! And of course any elf of Gondolin would HATE anyone named Gothmog, 'cause that's the name of the Balrog that killed "Ecthelion, lord of the Fountain, fairest of the Noldoli" (from The Fall of Gondolin in BoLT II), as Ecthelion killed him!
*sob*
*hands kleenex to Earniel*

Last edited by Rían : 10-26-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:42 PM   #896
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

“TD, CS, Udu; when are you guys going to finish your Nazgul fight and maid-disposal?” - Lotesse

Lotesse, Penny, Lilly and Udu have assumed a defensive position against Khamûl to protect themselves from him. Since Khamûl was the initiator of the disturbance, the other three are waiting to see what his intents are now in regards to fighting. They also would be, logically, concentrating their wills on that and any possible spells that Khamûl might throw at them.

Without TD to make the next move, there is not much that they can do. Therefore, I do not feel right about posting anything that changes its balance until we hear TD’s response.

“The big question is TD, is he going to post? Is he able to?
Normally he should post an answer to Udu. Or we can continue to fight...
Perhaps Udu could post something along the fight lines? Actually Khamul was sure he can best all three of them as "rats in a trap" I would like some Lilly's torture...” - CS

I might post a short response, but even that would require TD to follow up on it.

“Re: NAZGUL doctor was former Eight, Haradmurath?? - creepy guy. Not at all like Udu.” - CS

Udu neither is creepy nor does weird experiments. As a matter of fact, he might be a good drinking companion in a tavern.

“But you can invite your OWN name and character! Ask Udu for numbers in Black Speech. He has listed them once on this thread, I think.” - CS

Tolkien did not give us the names of any Nazgûl except Khamûl, but the Orcs referred to the Dark Captain as “Number One.” Here is a list of the numbers 1-10 in LOS/Shadowlandian Black Speech:

1....Ash
2....Krul
3....Gakh
4....Zag
5....Krak
6....Rut
7....Udu
8....Skri
9....Krith
10....Gal

The complete Shadowlandian wordlist and grammar rules can be found at

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/mordo...ch/speech1.htm

A wordlist of words from other dialects (MERP, Horngoth, Svartiska, and others) compiled by Lugrekh of the Red Hand Orcs can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/thequietwra...owordlist.html

The latter is one of my sites.

Any number of words can be used for names, such as Hûrûrz, “brave,” or Ikhûrz, “forceful,” etc.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #897
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Rian

I shall hopefully keep this short and concise, as it deserves ...

now, i read your last post over many breaks of 'lost' ..which BTW i am enjoying and analyzing (YET ENJOYING: thus my true resect for it) ....

one thing that has very vividly sprung to mind (and i mean this seriously) is from reading your last post -

one vivid thing sprung to mind:

I, think JRRT would be proud to read it: that his legacy carried on: that others in his spirit and enthusiasam and dedication for his works could
carry on and flesh out his tales ... and to all here ... sometimes we perhaps forget how we honour Jrrt with our mix of creativity, canon knowledge, AU respected play and sheer enthusisam mixed headily with rpg inventiveness and creative freedom to explore ... very much in truth to how JRR created his writings ... how,we (at least to my mind) would so please him were he here to read it ....

now for me, i think, JRRT would both laugh, appreciate and enjoy his legacy here .... as a truly enduring and worth-while legacy ...

well, that is my take on JRRT .... and for me, i wil defend it till the earths are sundered ...

but my main thought was just this .... i felt that you had wonderfully encapsulated in first-person detail some of the strenghts of Tolkiens's writings .... what more can i say?

It is so easy to forget what we do ... but i think the respect you show and skill in adding to JT's writing could easily be over-looked ... why? ... because this is some rpg ?? NAY! for me, it is all valid: it does not need to have some publicist seeking MMartinis to make it of value: nay, again ... one thing is seen clearly: whatever anyone may care to think: i think JRRT would read and enjoy our little addition to his world.

and why?

simply and purely: because we honour him and in the spirit of the thing both keep it alive and growing, both reasonably true and developing: but also light-heartedly in spirit with tolkien's writings (in the raw form) that he would recgognize!

... remember he had no discussion thread as such ... but i feel sure he would have very much enjoyed this one!

so, in short, well written, i think JRRT would be happy indeed that we all take such care to read and add to his world!

best BB
Old 10-26-2005, 07:13 PM   #898
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

UDU CS, et al

lets be very clear here: TD has psoted clearly he will be away till thurs .. possiby then away from fri with maybe some possible access ... are you not english? do you not understand the language? ... (forgive me i mean no offence or whatever ... but TD is ... am i the only one who can understand what he clearly writes????) whatever ... but i would seriously suggest for the sake of our RPG you continuie posting while TD is away .... we will of course respect the player's law ... and should TD require anything editing take it from there: but STALLING the whole game, to me, is NOT an option that TD would want .... correct me TD if i am wrong on this ... (though i doubt it!)

.... whew! ... so ... carry on posting!

i guess here, of course, but i do not think TD wanted to stall things whatsoever ... SO: CARRY ON AS USUAL!

and let others have the opportunity to join in!

very best all BB
Old 10-26-2005, 07:13 PM   #899
Rían

Wow ....

thank you very much, BB, and what a wonderful observation you made about our beloved Professor:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
I think JRRT would be proud to read it: that his legacy carried on: that others in his spirit and enthusiasam and dedication for his works could
carry on and flesh out his tales ... and to all here ... sometimes we perhaps forget how we honour Jrrt with our mix of creativity, canon knowledge, AU respected play and sheer enthusisam mixed headily with rpg inventiveness and creative freedom to explore ... very much in truth to how JRR created his writings ... how,we (at least to my mind) would so please him were he here to read it ....

one thing is seen clearly: whatever anyone may care to think: i think JRRT would read and enjoy our little addition to his world. and why?

simply and purely: because we honour him and in the spirit of the thing both keep it alive and growing, both reasonably true and developing: but also light-heartedly in spirit with tolkien's writings (in the raw form) that he would recgognize!
I like how you observe that it's alive and growing and developing - reminds me of the wonderful essay by JRRT called On Fairy Stories and the incredibly beautiful short story Leaf by Niggle. I hope you all can read them some day, if you haven't already. In the essay, he talks about the sub-creative talents of we humans -

Quote:
by JRRT, in "On Fairy Stories"
Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker.
In a letter JRRT once wrote to a man who was concerned about the effects (possibly bad) of fantasy, he wrote,
Quote:
by JRRT
Although now long estranged,
Man is not wholly lost nor wholly changed.
Dis-graced he may be, yet is not de-throned,
and keeps the rags of lordship once he owned:
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light
through whom is splintered from a single White
to many hues, and endlessly combined
in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
Though all the crannies of the world we filled
with Elves and Goblins, though we dared to build
Gods and their houses out of dark and light,
and sowed the seed of dragons - 'twas our right
(used or misused). That right had not decayed:
we make still by the law in which we're made.

It is truly a pleasure to create with all of you, in the spirit of the one who brought us to Entmoot

Old 10-26-2005, 07:14 PM   #900
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

"I, think JRRT would be proud to read it: that his legacy carried on: that others in his spirit and enthusiasam and dedication for his works could
carry on and flesh out his tales ... and to all here ... sometimes we perhaps forget how we honour Jrrt with our mix of creativity, canon knowledge, AU respected play and sheer enthusisam mixed headily with rpg inventiveness and creative freedom to explore ... very much in truth to how JRR created his writings ... how,we (at least to my mind) would so please him were he here to read it ...." - BB

BB, very good and valid comments on Rian's posts. I enjoyed reading your commentary. Rian's posts were outstanding.

CS, Lotesse, Gordis, TD and any interested - Udu has just posted. Anything I have written can be changed or modified so just feel free to speak up if you want something changed.
Closed Thread